PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good int-based non-caster classes

Yorae
2012-06-14, 09:36 PM
As per the title, I'm looking for classes that rely upon intellect and fight either in melee or with ranged weapons.

The class can be base or prestige, 3.5 or pathfinder.

Any suggestions?

Kuulvheysoon
2012-06-14, 09:38 PM
Off the top of my head we have Duelists (DMG), Swashbucklers (CW) and Warblades (ToB)

Aegis013
2012-06-14, 09:40 PM
How about Factotum? Unless Arcane Dilettante makes it considered caster...

Siosilvar
2012-06-14, 09:41 PM
Factotum works, though it's more of a skillmonkey class that gets the ability to apply its Intelligence bonus to anything it wants to, including attack (and damage, IIRC). It's hiding in the middle of the book Rich Burlew co-authored, Dungeonscape, on pages 14-20.

Eldariel
2012-06-14, 09:44 PM
Factotum [Dungeonscape] and Warblade [Tome of Battle] are the best. Factotum gets some light spellcasting ability but there's really no need to use them; most of the goodies from the class are non-casting related, just adding Int to everything. Warblade gets some more minor bonuses based on Int but is a good non-magical frontliner right out of the box.

Factotum 8/Warblade 12 is an extremely viable, solid Int-based build. Misses out on 9th level maneuvers pre-epic which sucks but it's a very synergistic, versatile Int-based frontliner. And yeah, you do have some spell-likes from Factotum; could ask to trade them in for counting as full Initiator Levels towards Warblade instead if you don't want any magic (few low-level buffs could be very useful and save you few items tho); it's not a written variant but it's reasonable enough (weaker than default even) and you'd hit 9th level maneuvers on level 17 that way.

Factotum 3 is the other split point (and Swashbuckler 3 gets Int as precision damage on hit but it's just not that impressive) which would get you 9th level maneuvers easily enough, but Factotum 8 gets extra Standard Actions which synergizes incredibly well with martial maneuvers.

EDIT: Though Factotum 8 build kinda requires few Font of Inspirations (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606) (we're talking 4-5) to truly function since it's rather reliant on Inspiration to use the extra Standard Actions while still playing the normal stuff and using Int on some things. Factotum 3/Warblade 17 or Factotum 3/Swashbuckler 3/Warblade 14 are both viable and would allow more focus on utilizing the Int-abilities (Knock-Down for Int-based Trips on Maneuvers for instance, and Knowledge Devotion for...obvious, etc.).

Also, Eternal Blade prestige class from Tome of Battle functions well so Factotum/Warblade/Eternal Blade would work (though you can't get to level 10 of Eternal Blade pre-epic unless you're full BAB). Warblade/Eternal Blade works too tho you probably want Factotum in there somewhere.

Answerer
2012-06-14, 10:27 PM
Realistically, only Factota and Warblades are actually good. Swashbuckler's good for exactly 3 levels (and even then, it's probably not worth it), Duelist is good for exactly nothing, and Combat Trapsmith's primary purpose is abusing its spell list for things that allow cross-list access to lower level spells...

sonofzeal
2012-06-14, 10:30 PM
Since Warblade and Factotum have been mentioned, I'll bring up the "Invisible Blade" PrC. Entry is a little odd, but you get Int-to-AC like Duelist and with better class features.

eggs
2012-06-14, 11:51 PM
A 1-2 level Monk dip with Kung Fu genius and Carmendine Monk would be useful for many Int-based melee builds. The class kind of fizzles after that, though.

Diovid
2012-06-15, 01:32 AM
Whatever class you take, have a look at the feats Insightful Reflexes and Keen Intellect. The first makes your reflex save based on intelligence rather than dexterity, the second makes your will save and some wisdom skills based on intelligence rather than wisdom.

NeoSeraphi
2012-06-15, 01:42 AM
The assassin prestige class from the Dungeon Master's Guide doesn't feel like a caster (more like "Let's give the rogue some cool stealth and poison abilities, but this is pre-ToB so we'll do it with spells") and is pretty solidly Int-based (Dex comes in at a close second).

Unfortunately, I believe you'll find that Int is probably the least commonly used ability score when it comes to class features (after Dex, anyway). If a character is drawing his non-casting power from his own soul or from some kind of arcane might, he uses Charisma. If he is drawing it from nature or a divine source, he uses Wisdom. Very few classes actually use their own intellect for anything, and those that do are almost always casters. (See above Factotum/Warblade, and the factotum is also caster-lite like the assassin).

This is most likely because a character who has an Intelligence score above 16 is smart enough to realize "Hey, if I plan to fight against dragons and vampires at higher levels, maybe I should stop being a barbarian and pick up a spellbook!" See, it's totally in-character for you to play all your high Int characters as spellcasters.

Psyren
2012-06-15, 08:32 AM
Since the OP allowed Pathfinder, I'll toss in the PF Assassin, which unlike the 3.5 version doesn't use magic (but still uses Int for its death attack DC.)

Alchemists also rely on Int and have both powerful range (bombs) and melee (Hyde and/or sneak attack.)

pi4t
2014-02-25, 04:47 PM
There's also the scholar (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/tripod-machine/scholar) class, which is near-solely int-based. It offers several useful int-based abilities at the odd levels, and a large range of nice abilities for you to choose from at the even ones. Of particular interest to anyone looking to play a melee warrior should be the first level ability "Smart Defense" (add int modifier to AC, and unlike the other classes mentioned in this thread, you can add the entire lot from level 1), and the second level choice of Smart Weapon (Weapon Finesse but with int instead of dex). Taking those first couple of levels, at least, should be a strong consideration.

I just stumbled across this thread while looking for information on the topic through google. While I'm aware that the OP will have moved on about a couple of years ago from this topic, other people may find the information useful.