PDA

View Full Version : Very small playable races

Acanous
2012-06-15, 12:26 AM
One of my players would like to play something tiny, fine, or diminuitive, but with the lowest possible level adjustment.
I recall there being a +0 tiny fey in (I think) MM3. Any other good ones out there?

VGLordR2
2012-06-15, 12:40 AM
There is the Jermalaine, from MM2, which is Tiny. Also, the Hengeyokai can turn into a Fine sized sparrow (be sure to use the Dragon Magazine update, which reduces them to LA 0).

grarrrg
2012-06-15, 12:40 AM
One of my players would like to play something tiny, fine, or diminuitive, but with the lowest possible level adjustment.
I recall there being a +0 tiny fey in (I think) MM3. Any other good ones out there?

*rummages in signature*
LA 0
Jermlaine: -6 Str +6 Dex -2 Con -2 Int +6 Wis -6 Cha, tiny, 40 ft., rogue, fey, monster manual 2 pg.13

Muckdweller: -6 Str +6 Dex -2 Wis -2 Cha, tiny, 20 ft. (swim 20 ft.), squirt (ex), monstrous humanoid, serpent kingdoms pg.71

LA+2
Petal - tiny fey (MM3) 15 ft move, fly 60ft, -8 Str, +10 Dex, +4 Con, +4 Int, +8 Cha, Sleep Songs, DR 5/cold iron, (?), LA +2
Technically only allowable as Cohorts, NOT intended to be "PC playable", ask your DM.

Amoren
2012-06-15, 12:55 AM
A kobold with the web enhancement can also be treated as a tiny sized creature whenever it benefits him (mostly for the +8 to hide rather than the +4).

Acanous
2012-06-15, 01:06 AM
Wow. Petals are just Yikes.
That's something that might actually be worth the LA, even on a caster o.0

Curmudgeon
2012-06-15, 01:14 AM
A kobold with the web enhancement can also be treated as a tiny sized creature whenever it benefits him (mostly for the +8 to hide rather than the +4).
Not "whenever it benefits him"; Slight Build has only three specific benefits: opposed checks, weapon use, and squeezing.
Slight Build: The physical stature of kobolds lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category smaller. Whenever a kobold is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as Hide), the kobold is treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous to the character. A kobold is also considered to be one size smaller when "squeezing" through a restrictive space. A kobold can use weapons designed for a creature one size smaller without penalty. However, the space and reach of a kobold remain those of a creature of their actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.

Vizzerdrix
2012-06-15, 01:18 AM
Eneko and Half Giant can get as small as you want. Get a few castings of Return to Nature (ECS).

Ravens_cry
2012-06-15, 05:28 AM
Wow. Petals are just Yikes.
That's something that might actually be worth the LA, even on a caster o.0
I believe they may be 'Cohort only' but I personally would let it happen. If I was make Ravens Cry as a D&D character, definitely a Petal.

Morph Bark
2012-06-15, 05:45 AM
There is the Jermalaine, from MM2, which is Tiny. Also, the Hengeyokai can turn into a Fine sized sparrow (be sure to use the Dragon Magazine update, which reduces them to LA 0).

In what issue are they updated?

Eneko and Half Giant can get as small as you want. Get a few castings of Return to Nature (ECS).

Doesn't Return to Nature limit the size reduction of Giants to Medium?

hamishspence
2012-06-15, 07:05 AM
In what issue are they updated?

Dragon 318.

Curmudgeon
2012-06-15, 07:11 AM
Doesn't Return to Nature limit the size reduction of Giants to Medium?
No, it doesn't. Check out the spell in Eberron Campaign Setting on pages 114-115.

hushblade
2012-06-15, 07:15 AM
Not "whenever it benefits him"; Slight Build has only three specific benefits: opposed checks, weapon use, and squeezing.

Spot vs hide is an opposed check, no?

Daftendirekt
2012-06-15, 09:10 AM

I think he was referring more to stuff like grapple checks.

Curmudgeon
2012-06-15, 09:18 AM
Since the quoted rules text uses that very example, I would think so. :smallwink:

Psyren
2012-06-15, 09:30 AM
A psionic Tibbit (e.g. a Psychic Rogue) with the Compression power can also get all the way down to Fine.

Axier
2012-06-15, 12:40 PM
In my personal experience of the tiny, I prefer the Hengeyokai (Sparrow), just because of the versitility and mobility. 60ft fly speed and the option of being a medium humanoid. Also, I have found three entertaining points:

1) Sparrows shooting lasers (Kinetecist) is fun.

2) Sparrows breathing fire is helarious (DFA)

3) Sparrows pretending to be sparrows makes for great stealth recon.

Lateral
2012-06-15, 12:54 PM
Return to Nature doesn't stack. It works like Reduce Person, which specifically doesn't stack.

Metahuman1
2012-06-15, 01:45 PM
Return to Nature doesn't stack. It works like Reduce Person, which specifically doesn't stack.

Stop trying to make it so I can't play a Monk 1/ Paladin of Freedom 4/ Barbarian 1/ Crusader 14 mounted on a Diminutive Animated statue of a bird of some nature made of Riverine and flying around doing impressive damage with White raven maneuvers, Spirited Charge and several PA multipliers stacked on one another, allowing him to act all Knight in Shining armor even though he's all of 4in tall.

Curmudgeon
2012-06-15, 03:50 PM
Actually, it doesn't and can't work that way. Reduce Person can't stack with itself because that would be multiple instances of the same ongoing magical effect. There cannot ever be multiple ongoing instances of Return to Nature because that spell has Instantaneous duration.
Instantaneous

The spell energy comes and goes the instant the spell is cast, though the consequences might be long-lasting. As soon as you cast any Instantaneous spell the magic is gone, and thus there is no effect which would be subject to the stacking limits.

sreservoir
2012-06-15, 03:55 PM
I believe they may be 'Cohort only' but I personally would let it happen. If I was make Ravens Cry as a D&D character, definitely a Petal.

amusingly, the rules define (cohort) as particularly a marker for particularly suitable cohorts, but give no mechanical effect to it and do not actually prohibit players from taking it.

as for intent? there's a reason death of the author is considered legitimate literary analysis :P

LadyLexi
2012-06-15, 09:07 PM
@sreservoir if you could point me to the page and book for that ruling I would be really happy. I have an "exactly by the rules" kind of DM and that sort of thing would really help me.

Curmudgeon
2012-06-16, 05:03 AM
@sreservoir if you could point me to the page and book for that ruling I would be really happy. I have an "exactly by the rules" kind of DM and that sort of thing would really help me.
As far as I know that "ruling" doesn't exist in the books. From Monster Manual's READING THE ENTRIES on page 7:
Level Adjustment
This line is included in the entries of creatures suitable for use as player characters or as cohorts (usually creatures with Intelligence scores of at least 3 and possessing opposable thumbs)

And from the Glossary on page 311:
Some creatures’ level adjustment entries include the word “(cohort).” Although these creatures may be problematic as PCs, they make good companions for a character who has taken the Leadership feat. "Problematic" means the rules have no problems with cohort creatures as companions, but may have problems with cohort creatures as PCs. The use of "or" in the instructions of how to read the entries indicates a creature can be suitable for a PC, or for a cohort, but ─ unless there's a notation like "(PC/cohort)" ─ likely not suitable for both. So an individual DM may accept the problems and allow a cohort creature as a PC, but there is no general statement in the rules requiring any DM to do so.