PDA

View Full Version : Can your computer run that game you want?

happyturtle
2012-06-15, 02:22 AM
I'm just going to drop this link into the Gaming subforum:

Can You Run It? (http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/intro.aspx)

I found this site useful, and I barely game at all. I figured hardcore gamers would find it even useful-er.

Klose_the_Sith
2012-06-15, 09:13 AM
I got great use out of that website before my laptop crippled itself and now the reports it gives me are just charmingly optimistic. Sure he can still run Napoleon Total War! All he has to do is give it his best effort and somehow magically fix his own battery.

Brother Oni
2012-06-15, 01:39 PM
I think it's more useful for casual gamers and non-IT literate, since most hardcore PC gamers would know their specs off by heart and be able to parse a game's system requirements.

pffh
2012-06-15, 01:44 PM
I think it's more useful for casual gamers and non-IT literate, since most hardcore PC gamers would know their specs off by heart and be able to parse a game's system requirements.

Not really I know several fairly hardcore PC gamers who still think of their computer as the magic box that makes their game play. Hell I've rarely if ever known my specs and I've been playing PC games for almost two decades.

Maxios
2012-06-15, 01:46 PM
It's totally wrong. I am getting the same result (a bit below Minimum) for every game I searched. Including Fallout: New Vegas, which I've played on this computer for dozens of hours wth a crapload of mods.

smuchmuch
2012-06-15, 01:49 PM
(Damn, wish I knew about this site before I got my hands on L.A Noire.
Funny that, apparently my grpahic card can't run it despite the fact it's got the enough RAM and correct vertex and pixel shaders.)

Anyway, thanks for the link.

Emmerask
2012-06-15, 02:49 PM
Well the main problem is that they (according to what I read on the page) take the requirements from the games instead of testing for themselves.

Because in general the minimum requirements on the boxes are a joke :smallwink:

Falgorn
2012-06-15, 04:01 PM
It's totally wrong. I am getting the same result (a bit below Minimum) for every game I searched. Including Fallout: New Vegas, which I've played on this computer for dozens of hours wth a crapload of mods.

No, it's not. That bit below minimum thing is usually for a video card issue (usually because you don't have the exact one that it asks for, like a pixel shader or something). It's pretty reliable.

Brother Oni
2012-06-15, 07:57 PM
Not really I know several fairly hardcore PC gamers who still think of their computer as the magic box that makes their game play. Hell I've rarely if ever known my specs and I've been playing PC games for almost two decades.

I guess it depends on who you know as all the hardcore PC gamers I know, are also PC enthusiasts who built their own machines (I've been building mine since '97) and are very aware of their machine's capabilities.

About the only PC gamer I know who doesn't know her machine's specs is my wife and I run tech support for her.

Dublock
2012-06-15, 08:27 PM
I have a couple friends who play PC games who just assumes their computer can run everything and if it can't they call me, complain, and then invite me over to upgrade whatever I think needs to be upgraded :p

Volatar
2012-06-16, 08:40 AM
Gave the site a try:

http://i.imgur.com/My5Cw.png

Welp.

Oh, wait.

http://i.imgur.com/ZQKwp.png

Yeah, the site is very wrong on that.

Forbiddenwar
2012-06-17, 09:47 PM
Interesting tool. Interesting in that it is an amazon tool to collect data of operating systems and capabilities. (according to No Script that blocked to asking "Do you wish to allow amazonwa.com to access information about your computer?")

Volatar
2012-06-17, 10:13 PM
Interesting tool. Interesting in that it is an amazon tool to collect data of operating systems and capabilities. (according to No Script that blocked to asking "Do you wish to allow amazonwa.com to access information about your computer?")

Nah. That's Amazon's cloud web services. A lot of websites run off them these days.

Forbiddenwar
2012-06-17, 11:32 PM
Nah. That's Amazon's cloud web services. A lot of websites run off them these days.

Oh.:smallredface: I'm sorry, I leaped to a conclusion and died from fall damage.

Brother Oni
2012-06-18, 02:19 AM
Oh.:smallredface: I'm sorry, I leapt to a conclusion and died from fall damage.

While taking a few hits from Pedantry along the way. :smalltongue:

Worira
2012-06-18, 02:35 AM
That's not even really pedantry. Both spellings are equally valid. Or, well, I guess it's pedantry, it's just not particularly accurate pedantry.

Reynard
2012-06-18, 02:56 AM
To those who're having it tell them their PC can't run games it's perfectly capable of running: Make sure that you've got enough hard drive space for the game.

If you've only got 3-5 GB of space left, and you ask the site if your PC can run a game bigger than that, it'll see that you haven't got the space to fit it in, and will return that "below-minimum" result, even if you already have it installed.

Brother Oni
2012-06-18, 06:17 AM
That's not even really pedantry. Both spellings are equally valid. Or, well, I guess it's pedantry, it's just not particularly accurate pedantry.

That's what I get for trying to be a pedant I guess. :smallsigh:

If you've only got 3-5 GB of space left, and you ask the site if your PC can run a game bigger than that, it'll see that you haven't got the space to fit it in, and will return that "below-minimum" result, even if you already have it installed.

Bear in mind that even if you have sufficient space left to install the game, you need to account for your computer's swap file. A quick rule of thumb for Windows OSs is 1.5 times your system's RAM.

Forbiddenwar
2012-06-18, 07:42 AM
While taking a few hits from Pedantry along the way. :smalltongue:

I figured that was how it was spelled but I've yet to find a spellchecker in any program that accepted it spelled like that.