PDA

View Full Version : The Tinkerer (3.5/P Base Class, PEACH)

Kane0
2012-06-15, 04:49 AM
Hello Playgrounders, I have my next base class ready for submission!
This time its a wand-wielding, Item crafting powerhouse with an inbuilt weapon to boot

The Tinkerer

Your average Gnome Tinkerer on a good day.
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs26/i/2008/036/f/2/I_Caught_a_Gnome____er__myself_by_kalessaradan.jpg
Deviantart - kalessaradan

Starting Age: As Alchemist
Starting Gold: As Alchemist
Alignment: Any

HD: d8
Skills per level: 2 + INT
Class Skills: Appraise, Craft, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Fly, Know (Engineering, Arcana), Linguistics, Profession, Sleight of Hand, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device
Proficiencies: All Simple Weapons, all light armor, no shields

{table=head] The Tinkerer | Spellcasting
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1th | +0 |+0 | +1 | +2 | Arm Weapon, Workman’s Leather, Trapworking, Spellcasting
2th | +1 |+0 | +1 | +3 | Combat Style Feat, Tinkering
3th | +2 |+1 | +2 | +3 | Arm Weapon Enhancement
4th | +3 |+1 | +2 | +4 | Item Creation Feat
5th | +3 | +1 | +3 | +4 | Identification, Self Tinkering I
6th | +4 |+2 | +3 | +5 | Combat Style Feat
7th | +5 | +2 | +3 | +5| Arm Weapon Enhancement
8th | +6/+1 | +2 | +4 | +6| Item Creation Feat
9th | +6/+1 | +3 | +4 | +6 | Item Metamagic
10th | +7/+2 | +3 | +5 | +7 | Combat Style Feat, Self Tinkering II
11th | +8/+3 | +3 | +5 | +7 | Arm Weapon Enhancement
12th | +9/+4 | +4 | +6 | +8 | Item Creation Feat
13th | +9/+4 | +4 | +6 | +8 | Skill Mastery, Imbue Item
14th | +10/+5 | +4 | +6 | +9 | Combat Style Feat
15th | +11/+6/+1 | +5 | +7 | +9 | Arm Weapon Enhancement, Self Tinkering III
16th | +12/+7/+2 | +5 | +7 | +10 | Item Creation Feat
17th | +12/+7/+2 | +5 | +8 | +10 | Item Use
18th | +13/+8/+3 | +6 | +8 | +11 | Combat Style Feat
19th | +14/+9/+4 | +6 | +9 | +11 | Arm Weapon Enhancement
20th | +15/+10/+5 | +6 | +9 | +12 | Master Craftsman, Signature Work
[/table] | {table=head]1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th
1 | - | - | - | - | -
2 | - | - | - | - | -
3 | - | - | - | - | -
3 | 1 | - | - | - | -
4 | 2 | - | - | - | -
4 | 3 | - | - | - | -
4 | 3 | 1 | - | - | -
4 | 4 | 2 | - | - | -
5 | 4 | 3 | - | - | -
5 | 4 | 3 | 1 | - | -
5 | 4 | 4 | 2 | - | -
5 | 5 | 4 | 3 | - | -
5 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 1 | -
5 | 5 | 4 | 4 | 2 | -
5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 3 | -
5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 1
5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 4 | 2
5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 3
5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4
5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5
[/table]
[/table]

Special Abilities:
Spellcasting:
-The Tinkerer’s spellcasting is INT based, granting extra spells per day for a high casting stat as normal.
- The Tinkerer’s spells are prepared in the same manner as a Wizard or Alchemist.
- The Tinkerer uses a workbook that is functionally identical to a Wizards’ spellbook and an Alchemists recipe book. Spells can be transferred to and from these books.
- The Tinkerer’s spells require no verbal or somatic components, thus having no chance of arcane spell failure. However he must still have at least one free hand
- Much like an Alchemist, A Tinkerer can leave spell slots empty when spells are replentished and fill them during the day in 15 mins per spell, much like the Alchemist
- At level one a Tinkerer starts off with cantrips known and available as a Magus does.

Arm Weapon:
The Tinkerer creates his own weapon for use in the field. This takes the form of a choice between a Tinkerers Blade, a Tinkerer's Gauntlet, a Tinkerer’s Launcher or a Tinkerer's Pistol. (Details for more Arm Weapons in the spoiler below)
- All these weapons are exotic weapons that the Tinkerer is proficient in.
- All these weapons are of masterwork quality.
- All these weapons are equipped on the arm but do not interfere with other arm equipped items like bracers. This also means that the Tinkerer counts as having a free hand when the weapon is retracted.
- Extending or retracting these weapons takes a swift action.
- While equipped, an Arm Weapon grants a +2 to CMD against being disarmed of it.
- Smaller and larger arm weapons follow the decreases and increases in damage as normal for weapons
- Arm weapons can be enchanted as normal weapons of their type (melee or ranged)
- Choosing the Pistol also grants the Tinkerer the Pathfinder Gunsmithing (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCombat/ultimateCombatFeats.html#_gunsmithing) feat.

Weapon Details

Tinkerer’s Blade:
1d6 slashing or piercing damage
Crit 19-20/x2
Weight: 4 lbs
Value: 100 gp (Masterwork quality not factored)
Appearance: Much like an extendable blade, this weapon contains the blade in the arm worn bracket until triggered, upon which it springs out forwards and locks into place, ready to stab and slice.

Tinkerer’s Gauntlet:
1d6 bludgeoning damage
Crit 20/x3
Weight: 6 lbs
Value: 100 gp (Masterwork quality not factored)
This heavy bracer is worn over the arm and when activated spreads a thin but durable metal sheath in a roughly dome shape around the users hand, transforming the wearer's arm into an effective cudgel.

Tinkerer’s Launcher:
1d6 damage
Crit 19-20/x2
Ammo: Bolts, Throwing Knives, Darts, Shuriken.
Weight: 4 lbs
Value: 125 gp (Masterwork quality not factored)
This sleek looking contraption sits on the wearers arm and folds outwards upon activation, usually similar in appearance to a folding crossbow. However, unlike a crossbow this arm mounted weapon has various means to launch more than just bolts with equal force and accuracy, most commonly along the same barrel and using the same string.

Tinkerer's Pistol:
1d6 damage
Crit 20/x3
Ammo: Bullets (Both Sling and Gun variety)
Weight: 5 lbs
Value: 1100 gp (Masterwork Quality not factored)
This compact firearm rests in a covered sheath on the wielder's arm until ready to be used, extending and folding outwards to occupy the hand. It has a specially designed barrel and firing mechanism to accommodate regular sling bullets (including the rare stone or two if the need arises) as well as regular metal shells with its unique explosive powder.

NOTE: Alternatively you can choose to create your own Arm Weapon. Take any single one handed simple or martial weapon as the base weapon and make these changes:
- If damage dice is 1d8 or better, it is lowered one step
- If damage dice is 1d4 or lower, it is increased one step
- The crit stats become either 19-20/x2 or 20/x3 at the creators option. Once this decision is made it cannot be changed.
- Weight is 2 lb heavier than the base weapon
- Value is 100 gp higher than the base weapon
- Add all the qualities detailed in the Arm Weapon ability

Workman’s Leather:
The Tinkerer makes his own set of masterwork studded leather, with these additions:
- The armor contains various pouches and pockets capable of holding up to a dozen small, light items (potions, wands, etc) that each can be retrieved as a swift action. The armor must be worn for this benefit to be in effect.
- The armor contains various tools, trinkets and devices that grant a +1 bonus to all Disable Device, craft, and Profession checks. The armor must be worn for this benefit to be in effect.
- At level 10 the armor bonus of the armor becomes +6 instead of +3. No other statistics are altered.

Trapfinding:
As the Rogue ability.

Combat Style Feat:
The Tinkerer gains bonus feats in a similar fashion to a ranger, except the feat list is different. The feat list can be seen in the following post.

Tinkering:
The Tinkerer becomes accomplished at fiddling with items both magical and mundane. This ability grants a few benefits:
- Reduces the time and cost of item creation by 10% per four Tinkerer levels (starting at 10%, max 50%)
- No materials are lost on a failed crafting attempt
- Can use the Disable Device skill on constructs in the same way heal is used for the living.
- The Tinkerer always knows where his Item creation equipment (if he has any), Arm Weapon and Workman’s Leather are.

Arm Weapon Enhancement:
Every four levels starting at level 3, the Tinkerer finds some way to improve his arm weapon. He can choose from the modifications listed below:

Item Creation Feat:
The Tinkerer gains a bonus Item Creation Feat. If he already has all the item creation feats he qualifies for he can choose a different feat in its place.

Identification:
The Tinkerer gains a bonus equal to half his Tinkerer level to identify items, and can retry once per item if given an hour of study (each). He can always attempt to identify an item.

Self Tinkering:
The Tinkerer does not just work on items. He also manages to make careful and gradual additions and changes to his own form, either by trial and error or as a response to some factor in their lives (such as experiments constantly blowing up in their faces).
- At level 5 the Tinkerer receives half healing when subjected to a repair spell, and repairs a bonus 1 point of damage per die rolled on repair spells he casts.
- At level 10 the Tinkerer becomes immune to poison and requires only half food, water and sleep to function properly.
- At level 15 the Tinkerer becomes immune to Fatigue, Exhaustion, Blindness, Deafness and Choking/Suffocation. However he is still able to be drowned and strangled.

Item Metamagic:
The Tinkerer becomes able to successfully apply any metamagic Feat he knows when using items that expend charges. Using a metamagic feat in this fashion expends a number of extra charges equal to the number of spell slots above normal that the metamagic feat would use.

Skill Mastery:
The Tinkerer becomes able to take 10 on UMD checks at any time.

Imbue Item:
As the Warlock ability of the same name.

Item Use:
There is a small chance (6 on a d6) that one charge is not used when activating an item that expends charges to function. This is rolled once per use of the item, not once per charge expended.

Master Craftsman:
The Tinkerer has become a leader of his field, and is recognized accordingly. He also gains these benefits:
- He now receives full benefit when subjected to a repair spell
- All items he uses that expend charges have their caster level and spell DC increased by 2 when used by the Tinkerer.

Signature Work:
The Tinkerer has perfected his signature work, and is now ready for testing. Given 1d3 + 1 weeks to work, the Tinkerer creates (and knows how to create) any one unique, non-artifact, non-expendable item for free. The function and power of this item can vary, but is always subject to DM approval.
Note: Instead of a free custom magic item, a Tinkerer can receive one free Philosophers Stone as well as the knowledge and ability necessary to create them.
Alternatively the Tinkerer can forego this magic item to make himself a living construct, granting himself these traits:
- Immune to sleep, paralysis, disease, nausea and does not need to breathe (thus cannot suffocate/choke). He does not need to sleep but must remain inactive for 4 hours to gain the benefits of rest.
- Immunity to critical hits and precision damage such as sneak attacks
- Gains the Construct subtype. This allows him to be targeted by spells that only affect constructs but does not stop him from being resurrected or the like.

Kane0
2012-06-15, 04:50 AM
Combat Style Feats

Tinkerer’s Blade and Tinkerer's Gauntlet:
- Weapon Finesse
- Quick Draw
- Arcane Strike
- Weapon Focus
- Vital Strike
- Penetrating Strike (Level 6)
- Improved Vital Strike (Level 6)
- Greater Penetrating Strike (Level 10)
- Greater Vital Strike (Level 10)

Tinkerer’s Crossbow and Tinkerer's Pistol:
- Far Shot
- Rapid Reload
- Rapid Shot
- Point Blank Shot
- Deadly Aim
- Improved Precise Shot (Level 6)
- Manyshot (Level 6)
- Pinpoint Targeting (Level 10)
- Shot on the Run (Level 10)

Arm Weapon Enhancements:

- The weapon becomes concealable as a ‘normal’ piece of gear worn on the arm. This enhancement can only be taken once.

- The weapon grants a +2 shield bonus to AC, as well as becomes able to be enchanted as a buckler separate from the weapon itself. The shield bonus to AC does not stack with any shields the Tinkerer uses. This enhancement can only be taken once.

- The damage die of the weapon increases by one step. This modification can be taken multiple times. The effects stack.

- The arm weapon is modified to be able to hold up to 3 wands, each requiring only a swift action to access and replace into its sheath in the weapon.

- Either the critical threat range or the critical damage multiplier of the weapon increases by one. This bonus stacks with weapon qualities, spell effects, the improved critical feat, etc. Minimum Tinkerer level 6. This enhancement can only be taken once.

- The Arm Weapon becomes interchangeable with parts that allow it to become another kind of Arm Weapon. The modular parts are each half the weight of the arm weapon and can be changed over as a swift action. This enhancement can be selected multiple times, each time adding one additional interchangeable weapon part. Minimum Tinkerer level 6.

- The Arm Weapon cannot be permanently destroyed. If broken, sundered or otherwise destroyed the Arm Weapon remakes itself on the Tinkerer’s arm in 1d4 + 1 rounds, at the Tinkerers command. This effect is suppressed when under the effects of antimagic and dispelling as a weapon enhancement would be. Minimum Tinkerer level 11. This enhancement can only be taken once.

- The Arm Weapon gains rudimentary intelligence, becoming able to act on its own (on the Tinkerer’s command). It gains one action per round to extend or retract itself. In the case of a Tinkerer’s Crossbow or Pistol it can reload itself but not insert ammo on its own. Minimum Tinkerer level 16. This enhancement can only be taken once.

- The Arm Weapon gains a magical enhancement quality to the value of +1 that can be changed at the beginning of each day when spells are prepared. Minimum Tinkerer level 6. This enhancement can only be taken once and the arm weapon must already have at least a +1 enhancement for this to apply.

- The Arm Weapon gains a magical enhancement quality to the value of +2 that can be changed at the beginning of each day when spells are prepared. Minimum Tinkerer level 11. This enhancement can only be taken once and the arm weapon must already have at least a +1 enhancement for this to apply.

- The Arm Weapon gains a magical enhancement quality to the value of +3 that can be changed at the beginning of each day when spells are prepared. Minimum Tinkerer level 16. This enhancement can only be taken once and the arm weapon must already have at least a +1 enhancement for this to apply.

Spell List

This list is drawn from the the Artificer Infusion list and the Alchemist Formula (Extract) list.
Cantrips
Resistance
Detect Magic
Read Magic
Prestidigitation
Detect Poison
Dancing Lights
Light
Touch of Fatigue
Mage Hand
Mending
Arcane Mark
Purify Food and Drink
Know Direction

1st
Ant Haul
Crafter's Fortune
Endure Elements
Longshot
Identify
Magic Weapon
Shield of Faith
Energy Alteration
Enlarge Person
Inflict Light Damage
Repair Light Damage

2nd
Ablative Barrier
Barkskin
Darkvision
Align Weapon
Bear's Endurance
Bull's Strength
Cat's Grace
Chill Metal
Eagle's Splendor
Kinetic Reverberation
Fox's Cunning
Heat Metal
Owl's Wisdom
Inflict Moderate Damage
Repair Moderate Damage
Toughen Construct
Resist Energy

3rd
Absorbing Touch
Age Resistance, Lesser
Burst of Speed
Inflict Serious Damage
Heroism
Nondetection
Power Surge
Repair Serious Damage
Suppress Requirement
Stone Construct

4th
Age Resistance
Detonate
Spell Immunity
Stoneskin
Inflict Critical Damage
Repair Critical Damage
Minor Creation
Rusting Grasp
Iron Construct

5th
Age Resistance, Greater
Elude Time
Fabricate
Major Creation
Sending
Spell Resistance
Wall of Force
Wall of Stone

6th
Analyze Dweomer
Blade Barrier
Disable Construct
Total Repair
True Seeing
Move Earth
Wall of Iron
Hardening

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-06-15, 07:58 AM
I find this class intriguing, and much more to the title than many other tinkerers I've seen. I've often felt there should be need for a class dedicated to constucting items.

What is the preferred race for a tinkerer? Would there be one?

It would be interesting if there was also for the arm weapon there was the option of using it as a martial weapon like a metal gauntlet, or even make that a third branch for bludgeoning. Further, I don't see Arm Weapon being a special. I see it as a class requirement or feature.

If you do that, perhaps you could instead provide a feat option for either tier (ranged or melee) depending on which was chosen. Oh wait, you're ahead of me. You do that level 2. Hmm. Still say Arm Weapon is more a Class Feature/Requirement. Possibly also the Workmen's Leather. I guess this tendecy is to the fact that typically items don't appear as a special ability. Maybe it's a pot-ay-to pot-ah-to thing. Just my two sense. :smallsmile:

- Can use the Disable Device skill on constructs in the same way heal is used for the living.
- The Tinkerer always knows where his Item creation equipment (if he has any), Arm Weapon and Workman’s Leather are.

What do you mean by this?

For signature work: For free? No penalties at all? Sure they are level 20, but it should at least cost something to make it, even at a reduced cost.

Like it a lot though! Can't wait to see the rest!

Kane0
2012-06-15, 10:50 PM
I'm glad you like it :smallsmile:. I took a lot of inspiration from the artificer.

Preferred race would by far be Gnomes, followed by Humans and possibly Dwarves, Half-elves and Elves. Those with a natural curiosity and propensity for radical/unproven thinking/ideas make the best tinkerers.

A bludgeoning arm weapon would be a nice addition, Ill see what I can come up with. If you have any suggestions feel free to let me know!

The way I put in the arm weapon was to encourage the idea of the tinkerer making his own equipment to enforce his primary role, as well as making him a passing but not powerful combatant. I looked at the Ranger and the Inquisitor for this part.

For suing the disable device skill on constructs, Pathfinder does not have a repair skill so I had to choose between the heal skill working on constructs or the disable device skill functioning in the place of the repair skill. Either seemed good enough options for me.

As for the Tinkerer always being able to locate his equipment, it was more of a flavor thing that the busy workman always knows where the last person to use his tools left them, and where his favorite gear is.

For Signature Work: Yes that is possible. The problem is that it can be difficult to place a price on a unique item that the player comes up with. As stated, that particular half of the capstone is up to the DM (especially in regards to the power level of the world) and he can choose to make it cost as well. However, if that is the case it should still be noted that the Tinkerer halves that cost due to his Tinkering ability.

EDIT: Completely forgot about using UMD to craft if he does not know the spell :smalleek:. That has been fixed now.

Kane0
2012-06-17, 06:54 PM
OK, spell list and progression has been added, as well as a bludgeoning Arm Weapon at request. Peach away!

Drewski
2012-06-18, 08:41 PM
Now it may be selfish but would you mind adding a pistol option, similar to the Pathfinder pistols? I'm debating on using this class in an upcoming steampunk game that features guns heavily. I'll be sure to report back about my experiences.

Kane0
2012-06-18, 10:18 PM
Not at all, of course I can do a pistol option (it may not be as good though, i'm not well acquainted with pathfinder's guns even though I've been in a pathfinder group for a few months now). Pistol arm weapon coming up soon!

Also: :smallbiggrin: I feel like giving you an award or something, as far as I know you are the first to use my brew other than me :smallbiggrin:

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-06-19, 06:45 AM
Pistol arm weapon coming up soon!

I could see it now: Interchangable barrel.

"John, what in the world is that?"

*Tinkerer blinks* "You said we were going fishing. I don't go fishing without *kathunk* my harpoon attachment!"

Of course, that's just me being silly. But really, I see this arm weapon as very versatile. It seems like it mimics other weapons but gives 1d6 damage no matter what. Mayhaps it would be easier to say that a tinkerer could host any number of adapted weapons for their arm, not just limit them to this quickly growing list, so long as they have the proficency to use them?

Kane0
2012-06-19, 07:04 PM
That is a very good idea. I might go and fiddle with that now.

Edit: I have added in a note at the bottom of the Arm Weapon ability detailing how to make your own, and an Arm Weapon Enhancement that allows you to switch between different attachments.

Edit x2: Also changed Crossbow to launcher to accommodate more fun kinds of ammo.

Drewski
2012-06-19, 08:17 PM
Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like the damage on arm weapons shouldn't all be changed to 1d6. I would suggest instead having the arm weapon raise the damage by one level, like 1d4 to 1d6, if the damage is below 1d6, and having it lower the damage by a level if above that, so like 1d10 to 1d8. That way there is a reason to use weapons other then the defaults.

Kane0
2012-06-19, 09:57 PM
Fair enough, I can do that.

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-06-20, 06:37 AM
Alternatively you can choose to create your own Arm Weapon. Take any single one handed simple or martial weapon as the base weapon and make these changes:
- If damage dice is 1d8 or better, it is lowered one step
- If damage dice is 1d4 or lower, it is increased one step
- If the critical multiplier was x2, the crit stats become 19-20/x2
- If the critical multiplier was x3 or x4, the crit stats become 20/x3

Shouldn't the X3 be 19 - 20, since you get x3 normally with just the x3?

Also, I looked around and didn't notice anywhere where it might say that the arm is treated as a magical weapon, and gives a +1 to attack and damage. It's kind of implied in the enhancements when you list the +2 and +3, which prompted me to look for the +1. OH! THERE it is. Right above 2 and 3...great. Should I be going to the eye doctor? Hmmm. So it isn't treated as a magic weapon until AFTER that enhancement. Interesting. I would have thought otherwise.

The first enhancement could even possibly treat the arm as glamored!

I'd say for switching, you could change "arms" (haha) as a full round, and quickdraw would change that. I'm not exactly sure what swift action is, so that might already be the case, just asking for clarification.

What exactly are the "item creation feats"?

I'm enjoying how this is turning out. I am seriously considering using this in the near future!

Campbellk8105
2012-06-27, 12:11 AM
My Dm has OK'd me to use this class. It looks like a whole lot of fun!

One thing I could say is putting an actual description of the weapon into it. Especially for the pistol for how to make the black powder or what not to fire the ammo. We don't play pathfinder but the stuff included has been ok'd.

Also, as far as the creating your own arm weapon goes, I think that if the weapon has a x3 or x4 that they should stay as is, or have an alternative like a x3 can become 19-20/x2 or the x4 becomes 19-20/x3.

Kane0
2012-06-27, 05:24 AM
Hmm, what I can give you is the Pathfinder Gunsmithing feat that Gunslingers get at level one if you take the Pistol Arm weapon:

Gunsmithing
You know the secrets of repairing and restoring firearms.

Benefit: If you have access to a gunsmith's kit, you can create and restore firearms, craft bullets, and mix black powder for all types of firearms. You do not need to make a Craft check to create firearms and ammunition or to restore firearms.

Crafting Firearms: You can craft any early firearm for a cost in raw materials equal to half the price of the firearm. At your GM's discretion, you can craft advanced firearms for a cost in raw materials equal to half the price of the firearm. Crafting a firearm in this way takes 1 day of work for every 1,000 gp of the firearm's price (minimum 1 day).

Crafting Ammunition: You can craft bullets, pellets, and black powder for a cost in raw materials equal to 10% of the price. If you have at least 1 rank in Craft (alchemy), you can craft alchemical cartridges for a cost in raw materials equal to half the price of the cartridge. At your GM's discretion, you can craft metal cartridges for a cost in raw materials equal to half the cost of the cartridge. Crafting bullets, black powder, or cartridges takes 1 day of work for every 1,000 gp of ammunition (minimum 1 day).

Restoring a Broken Firearm: Each day, with an hour's worth of work, you can use this feat to repair a single firearm with the broken condition. You can take time during a rest period to restore a broken firearm with this feat.

Edit: Added brief descriptions of the arm weapons in the spoiler and added the line on the Gunsmithing feat, as well as a link. Also addeed the x4 crit option, but I cant think of any one handed simple/martial weapons that have a x4 crit multiplier. *Shrug* Anyway, its there just in case. I was thinking just keep the crit stats of the base weapon, but i want to keep it within 20 or 19-20 and x2 or x3.

Please let me know how it plays!

Veklim
2012-06-27, 05:34 AM
x3 crit and 20/x3 crit are the same thing dude...

Would be a lot easier and simpler to just say 'Increase the threat range of the weapon by 1, this stacks with other critical threat range increases like the keen enchantment or improved critical.'

Kane0
2012-06-27, 05:39 AM
x3 crit and 20/x3 crit are the same thing dude...

I like to be clear. :smallsmile:

Would be a lot easier and simpler to just say 'Increase the threat range of the weapon by 1, this stacks with other critical threat range increases like the keen enchantment or improved critical.'

Sorry, you've lost me. Which part are you referring to?

Veklim
2012-06-27, 05:44 AM
- If the critical multiplier was x3, the crit stats become 20/x3

These two things are the same, therefore this provides no benefit or increase to the weapon at all.

Airanath
2012-06-27, 06:02 AM
First things first: great job on the class. I am about to DM a 3.P campaign irl and onde of my players wants to play something like this, might point him this way.
Finally, on armweapon damage, does it scale down for smaller creatures? Without such stated in the class the damage scaling up would make creatures smaller than medium get an unintended bonus. Not gamebreaking, but still there. Larger creatures would simply use the lower a dice rule, not being hurt badly by it.

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-06-27, 06:21 AM
What Velkim, Campbell, and I originally are trying to say is that this area of text in you arm weapon description is flawed:

- If the critical multiplier was x2, the crit stats become 19-20/x2
- If the critical multiplier was x3, the crit stats become 20/x3
- If the critical multiplier was x4, the crit stats become either 19-20/x3 or 20/x4 at your (or your DMs) option.

Compare x2 to x3. x2 when you upgrade the multiplier, you get the range increased to 19-20/x2 instead of just x2, similar to if it had keen cast on it. With x3, its upgrade is listed at 20/x3 instead of 19-20/x3, and similarly x4 is the same way.

Airanath
2012-06-27, 07:01 AM
Compare x2 to x3. x2 when you upgrade the multiplier, you get the range increased to 19-20/x2 instead of just x2, similar to if it had keen cast on it. With x3, its upgrade is listed at 20/x3 instead of 19-20/x3, and similarly x4 is the same way.
I think the x4 was nerfed intentionaly (downgrade to 19-20/x3 or keep x4 multiplier). But the OP is a better source for this reply than me.

Drawing a line here, since I am on a real computer (as oposed from my smartphone) to input some criticism and ideas. I am considering you are making this class for pathfinder (as 3.5 already has the all mighty artificer, and the Artificer Conversion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/adamant-entertainment/artificer) for pathfinder has some issues[probably unintended, but they do appear] with the class being based of Master Craftsman feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/master-craftsman---final), and you requiring either a dm that lets you craft everything with a single craft or to find a way to max all crafts.)

That said, lets talk Tinkerer not rant 3rd party conversions:
Spellcasting: 6 levels, in line with all parthfinder lower spell casting times, this is nice and good, but we could make it more flavorfull. Did you check the weird science (another odd part) of the artificer I linked before? Its an odd bit because of how it works, but the idea is nice. How about making the Tinkerer use something like that? There is precedent for it in the alchemist, which was your second inspiration.
E.G: The Tinkerer has a Schema Book (I am going by Eberron artificers here), with templates for crafting some minor gadgets that replicate the effects of some spells.
While I like your spell selection, I think we could work on it a bit more (I'll look for some recomendations once I get home from work).
Your oddbit: 0 level spells. They aren't game breaking, but most 6 level spell casting classes don't have those (Inquisitor, Summoner, Alchemist, exception: Magus), and personally, I don't think the Tinkerer needs them either. One could argue that this would leave them unable to identify magical items, but you can just add that as a class feature at level 1, allowing them to roll spellcraft to id without using Detect Magic (hardly game breaking, and you can add he needs time to acess if an item is really magical or not before that (1min of study per item to figure out if its magical, and if it is, identify it. You actually have this feature Identification, give it earlier, and add the line in italics.) First level spells give easy acess to identify too, so they can do it faster and with a bonus if they decide to spare a spell slot for it on a given day. If you think you really need cantrips, remember PF rules that you can use them at will everyday, instead of making a new formula for uses per day.
For the spell list, I would go for things that enhace the artificer, the party gear, or constructs, and some party enhacing spells (not many), also the odd bit flavor spell (Grease, he IS a Tinkerer, a grease throwing device is necessary, am I right?).
Arm Blade: As I said in my previous post, there is no line saying how larger/smaller creatures behave with this feature. Also, can an arm blade be enhaced by item creation rules? If so, how does this add to the floating bonus from the Arm Blade Enhacement class feature?
Signature Work: This could use some work, I am not one to bat my eye at free magic items, but for a capstone, its a bit lackluster. The alchemist may select something similar to this, but they gain a Philosopher's stone, which is an airtifact and has some nice effects.
My only idea for this right now would be the Tinkerer be his own signature work, granting him the construct tipe, but still able to ressurect, and the last few construct immunities.

Still, nice job there.
Edit 1: Fixed some stuff in the text.
Edit 2: Nitpick - What happened to the reckless wand wielder combat style! And to Wand Chamber enhacements for the arm weapon so you can carry lots of wands in it!

Kane0
2012-06-27, 07:21 AM
Ahhh ok now I see what you guys mean.

My reasoning and thought process:
Originally i wanted only two options for criticals, either 19-20/x2 or 20/x3, much like swords and axes. Thus if the multiplier was x2 then it stayed x2 and the threat was changed, and the same for x3. I did not consider x4 multiplier weapons because I did not know of any that fulfilled the requirements.

I'm guessing the reason I was confused was because i had chosen to do there was that the critical multiplier is what determined the crit stats and the original threat range plays no part.

So, shall I change that clause to pick either 19-20/x2 or 20/x3 for custom arm weapons? Or simply keep the crit stats of the base weapon?

Also, @ Airanath: I'm glad you like it. Yes, damage would be decreased and increased by changes in size, just like other weapons. If you do end up seeing this in use, please let me know how it turns out :smallsmile:

I see youve made another post. Ill have to go over that in a sec lol

Kane0
2012-06-27, 07:46 AM
Alrighty, lets see here.

Spellcasting:Did you check the weird science (another odd part) of the artificer I linked before? Its an odd bit because of how it works, but the idea is nice. How about making the Tinkerer use something like that?

My idea behind giving him spellcasting at all was that he would come up with things that could emulate those spells for him, though he is by no means incapable of doing it himself. The other reason was that this form of spellcasting is the norm and thus much easier to incorporate into actual use in a game.

While I like your spell selection, I think we could work on it a bit more (I'll look for some recomendations once I get home from work).

For the spell list, I would go for things that enhance the artificer, the party gear, or constructs, and some party enhacing spells (not many), also the odd bit flavor spell (Grease, he IS a Tinkerer, a grease throwing device is necessary, am I right?).

Your oddbit: 0 level spells. They aren't game breaking, but most 6 level spell casting classes don't have those. Personally, I don't think the Tinkerer needs them either.

The spell is indeed lacking a bit. I tried to keep it to buffs, utility & gadgetry oriented stuff to reinforce flavor and party role. That said a few nifty debuffs and fun things wouldn't go astray.
Also it woudnt be too hard to remove cantrips without sacrificing playability. I just like having them there because pathfinder has such a nice way of handling them.

Arm Blade: As I said in my previous post, there is no line saying how larger/smaller creatures behave with this feature. Also, can an arm blade be enhaced by item creation rules? If so, how does this add to the floating bonus from the Arm Blade Enhacement class feature?

Yep, size changes the damage dice and they can be magically enchanted as normal melee/ranged weapons. The floating +1, +2 and +3 effects require it to be at least +1 to start with to avoid things like a flaming arm launcher instead of the rules legal +1 flaming arm launcher

Signature Work: This could use some work, I am not one to bat my eye at free magic items, but for a capstone, its a bit lackluster. The alchemist may select something similar to this, but they gain a Philosopher's stone, which is an artifact and has some nice effects.
My only idea for this right now would be the Tinkerer be his own signature work, granting him the construct type, but still able to resurrect, and the last few construct immunities.

Capstones are always one of my larger challenges. I wanted to give the tinkerer something unique (his own custom magic item of anything up to artifact power). I don't see a problem with throwing a philosophers stone in there as an option.
At one stage I also played with the idea of either making him or giving him a construct/golem, but thought that was a bit too narrow flavor wise. Maybe a prestige class down the track?

And to Wand Chamber enhacements for the arm weapon so you can carry lots of wands in it!

Consider it added.

Airanath
2012-06-27, 08:02 AM
The stone was just an example, its one of the possibilities for the alchemist already, this guy needs somethin more unique. When I am no away from my books I will se if I can help with a capstone. The weird science idea was to use like an alchemist extracts, it rids them of gestures and sound (arcane spell failure), gives some versatility (use the alchemist as basis for how long it takes to put a gadget together, instead of the original weird science, as I said, that one is ODD. If its like the alchemist, he can leave some parts unused and put a device together in a few minutes for that one trouble).