PDA

View Full Version : Undead and the Run action

Cipher Stars
2012-06-15, 09:20 AM
Do Undead need to do nasty things like make checks to keep running and all that?
I've already googled the question. Nothing came up, I would assume they don't need to. But I don't like leaving it open for doubt.

Waker
2012-06-15, 09:25 AM
Due to the lack of a Con score, Undead can effectively run indefinitely. However if you want to be an annoying stickler to the rules you could point out this line on the SRD concerning Overland Movement.

A character can’t run for an extended period of time.
Attempts to run and rest in cycles effectively work out to a hustle.
Obviously this rule doesn't take into account creatures that don't tire, but I felt like pointing it out to be silly.

Griffith!
2012-06-15, 09:27 AM
In my campaigns, undead do not run. But given the fact undead don't fatigue, I don't see why they would need to make checks or anything.

whibla
2012-06-15, 10:13 AM
"You can run for a number of rounds equal to your constitution score..."

Undead, with Con 0 can therefore run for 0 rounds.

I think I remember seeing other applicable entries in the MM, either under the Undead general section, or specific monsters, but either way, the above is fairly clear.

If you're not happy with this limitation then fudge it for undead...

Ranting Fool
2012-06-15, 10:17 AM

I think I remember seeing other applicable entries in the MM, either under the Undead general section, or specific monsters, but either way, the above is fairly clear.

as far as I remember it was only the Zombies that were slow and couldn't do full actions.

For fluff reasons I wouldn't have my Undead running around... the slow but endless march is always cooler :smallcool:

Cipher Stars
2012-06-15, 10:35 AM
I liked Waker's answer the best >.>

In my campaigns, undead do not run. But given the fact undead don't fatigue, I don't see why they would need to make checks or anything.
Why... ? Many Undead run, except for standard zombies or shambling skeletons. But Vampires run, of course, their supposed to be all quick and speedy in most lore as is why they get Improved Initiative.

They don't have Con 0, they have Con -.
Con 0 would be dead. Con - is not having one, as a Construct or: Undead.

Ashtagon
2012-06-15, 11:01 AM
I don't let my undead run.

Vampires? They glide :smallwink:

whibla
2012-06-15, 11:06 AM
They don't have Con 0, they have Con -. Con 0 would be dead. Con - is not having one, as a Construct or: Undead.

Ah, yes, my apologies, you are right. Having no Con is not the same as having a Con of none. I guess this would imply that any undead that can take a full round action can run for ever, since they are immune to fatigue effects. Interesting.

Morph Bark
2012-06-15, 11:12 AM
Ah, yes, my apologies, you are right. Having no Con is not the same as having a Con of none. I guess this would imply that any undead that can take a full round action can run for ever, since they are immune to fatigue effects. Interesting.

Zombies Not Included.

King Atticus
2012-06-15, 11:25 AM
I know that "Deathless" creatures (BoED 157) specifically can't use the run action and they have no constitution score. (I know it's different, but I look at it as the good guy undead parallel)

But I haven't been able to find anything that actually says anything about undead running one way or the other.

Griffith!
2012-06-15, 11:28 AM
@ Cipherthe3vil - This:

I don't let my undead run.

Vampires? They glide :smallwink:

Madara
2012-06-15, 11:29 AM
This is why having an undead mount is amazing for travel :smallsmile:

Cipher Stars
2012-06-15, 11:45 AM
This is why having an undead mount is amazing for travel :smallsmile:

This.

If undead outright CANT run, Wizards would have completely ruined the whole Undead mount thing.

I just don't think they'd do such a thing. Undead mounts is like a fantasy staple.
As important to fantasy as Dragon Mounts. Nevermind UNDEAD dragon mounts.

Unusual Muse
2012-06-15, 11:51 AM
Many Undead run, except for standard zombies or shambling skeletons.

According to Army of Darkness, they can all run. :smallsmile:

Griffith!
2012-06-15, 12:01 PM
I've actually never had a player ask for or, to my knowledge, even consider an undead mount. And as for my villains, well... Nightmares for the win, neh?

Morph Bark
2012-06-15, 12:30 PM
This.

If undead outright CANT run, Wizards would have completely ruined the whole Undead mount thing.

I just don't think they'd do such a thing. Undead mounts is like a fantasy staple.
As important to fantasy as Dragon Mounts. Nevermind UNDEAD dragon mounts.

A reinforced skeletal warhorse is a Mongol warrior's best friend.

Zubrowka74
2012-06-15, 02:50 PM
You could have a base movement speed of 120 and it would'nt be running.

RandomLunatic
2012-06-15, 03:24 PM
I found this gem in the Monster Manual glossary under "Nonabilities", and also in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#constitution)

Constitution

Any living creature has at least 1 point of Constitution. A creature with no Constitution has no body or no metabolism. It is immune to any effect that requires a Fortitude save unless the effect works on objects or is harmless. The creature is also immune to ability damage, ability drain, and energy drain, and automatically fails Constitution checks. A creature with no Constitution cannot tire and thus can run indefinitely without tiring (unless the creature’s description says it cannot run).

King Atticus
2012-06-15, 05:12 PM
I found this gem in the Monster Manual glossary under "Nonabilities", and also in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#constitution)

Wow...um...thanks for playing everyone but I think that about wraps it up. RandomLunatic for the win!

Cipher Stars
2012-06-15, 08:08 PM

| <--- Common Sense
Me -------------> |

Why didn't I check the SRD for Constitution XD

+1

rel
2012-06-17, 11:08 AM
Unfortunately having an undead mount run all day long does not automatically work by the RAW because:

Mounted Movement

A mount bearing a rider can move at a hustle. The damage it takes when doing so, however, is lethal damage, not nonlethal damage. The creature can also be ridden in a forced march, but its Constitution checks automatically fail, and, again, the damage it takes is lethal damage. Mounts also become fatigued when they take any damage from hustling or forced marches.

Also hi, I am rel.

Madara
2012-06-17, 12:30 PM
Unfortunately having an undead mount run all day long does not automatically work by the RAW because:

Mounted Movement

A mount bearing a rider can move at a hustle. The damage it takes when doing so, however, is lethal damage, not nonlethal damage. The creature can also be ridden in a forced march, but its Constitution checks automatically fail, and, again, the damage it takes is lethal damage. Mounts also become fatigued when they take any damage from hustling or forced marches.

Also hi, I am rel.

What's the source of the lethal damage mentioned?
Immunity to fatigue and it doesn't make Fort saves unless something affects objects.

Alleine
2012-06-17, 02:03 PM
The rules in question are here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm#overlandMovement). However the rules in question don't seem to take into account creatures such as warforged and undead which totally can run all day long.

Mari01
2012-06-17, 03:27 PM

Also hi, I am rel.

The source of the damage comes from fatigue/exhaustion, which undead are immune to. If you have an undead horse, you can ride it until you die in the saddle.

kharmakazy
2012-06-17, 07:05 PM
The source of the damage comes from fatigue/exhaustion, which undead are immune to. If you have an undead horse, you can ride it until you die in the saddle.

Or have the party warforged pull the rest of the team in a rickshaw all night while they sleep.

Griffith!
2012-06-17, 08:59 PM
Or have the party warforged pull the rest of the team in a rickshaw all night while they sleep.

This. Oh, man this. How do these things slip by me? It's so simple.

Alleine
2012-06-17, 09:00 PM

If I'm reading it right the damage is the source of the fatigue/exhaustion, not the other way around.