PDA

View Full Version : Spell-like ability fulfilling casting requirements?

Theroc
2012-06-15, 09:42 AM
I had heard people mentioning using Warlock invocations to enter PrC's requiring certain spell-based prereqs. I get that they are usually meant for stuff like "Charm".

I was curious if one could use a spell-like Ability to enter the Geometer Class from Complete Divine. I doubt one could, but I felt compelled to ask as it would make things a tad simpler for a character I am building.

Waker
2012-06-15, 09:49 AM
You can use SLAs to meet the requirements for a PrC only if the requirements make a special mention of SLAs being allowable, such as the Mindbender PrC saying "Able to cast charm person, use charm person as a spell-like ability or use the charm person invocation." Also if a PrC requires an Arcane Caster level as opposed to requiring the ability to cast spells of a certain level.

About the Geometer, no. The requirements specify the ability to cast and prepare 3rd level arcane spells, so SLAs wouldn't cut it.

Theroc
2012-06-15, 09:54 AM
Think I screwed up the name. I was thinking Geomancer, but that specifies 2nd Level Arcane casting and 2nd Level Divine casting, so I assume that's a no-go too.

Ohwell. Was worth asking to make sure.

Urpriest
2012-06-15, 09:59 AM
Basically, anything that requires spells of a certain level won't work. Anything that requires a caster level or a specific spell will work.

whibla
2012-06-15, 10:00 AM
Simple answer, Ask your DM..

If you're the DM, then here's a few quotes to keep in mind:

"Since spell-like abilities are not actually spells..."

"A warlock cannot qualify for prestige classes with spellcasting level requirements, as he never actually learns to cast spells. However, prestge classes with caster level requirements...are well suited to the warlock. A warlock's caster level for his invocations fulfils this requirement."

"As such, requirements for feats and prestige classes based on specific levels of spells cast ("Able to cast 3rd-level arcane spells", for example) cannot be met by spell-like abilities..."

The requirements for the Geomancer class (I assume this is the one you're talking about) are: "Spells: Able to cast 2nd-level arcane spells and 2nd-level divine spells."

Taking all the above into account, my personal opinion would be, no, you cannot use spell-like abilities to enter this PrC. There may be some RAW-dubious shennanigans that will allow it, feats gained from other sources etc. but I am not sure what they are, if they even exist.

Sorry if this is not the answer you were hoping for...

Theroc
2012-06-15, 10:03 AM
Thanks guys, appreciate the prompt replies. And yeah, wasn't what I was hoping for. My group has a very heavy arcane lean, but I didn't like the Cleric MAD for Wis+Cha, so planned to use Geomancer to get around it and focus on Cleric spells more. I don't want super-cheese though.

This is connected to another thread I had up for specific advice, but it stopped getting replies so I'm posting individual yes/no rules questions to see if some of my ideas might work. :P

I could ask my DM to tweak Geomancer with our party composition in mind, but I've already requested some homebrew and the DM has been away from 3.5 for a while so I don't wanna go overboard. I'm also more familiar with the rules than anyone else in the group.

Thanks again all.

Urpriest
2012-06-15, 11:05 AM
If all you're worried about is Warlock's Cha focus, be aware that it isn't really that important. Most of the good invocations don't offer saves, and every Cleric has a little Cha focus from turning (and DMM et al) anyway.

Roguenewb
2012-06-15, 11:16 AM
There is a divine/warlock theurge in Complete Mage, memory suggests its fairly good as well.

Duke of URL
2012-06-15, 11:36 AM
Basically, anything that requires spells of a certain level won't work. Anything that requires a caster level or a specific spell will work.

+1

If you need a RAW reference, see Complete Arcane, page 72, under the headings "Spellcasting Level" and "Specific Spell Requirements" (despite being in the Feats chapter, they specifically apply to PrCs as well).

Theroc
2012-06-15, 12:00 PM
If all you're worried about is Warlock's Cha focus, be aware that it isn't really that important. Most of the good invocations don't offer saves, and every Cleric has a little Cha focus from turning (and DMM et al) anyway.

I actually got approved a homebrewed class(From GITP here, Evolutionist) that can get access to Spell-Like abilities from Sorc/Wiz list and Druid lists.

I had been wondering if I could use that to let me 'pretend' to be a sorcerer for Geomancer prereqs, but I suspected I couldn't due to the stuff on Warlocks in Complete Arcane, but some of the threads on here managed to make me hazy on specifics.