PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone walk me through Legacy Weapons?

Roguenewb
2012-06-15, 11:11 AM
So, I'm playing a character, and I'd like to use the legacy weapon Kamate, from ToB, exactly how does everything work? How do I do all of that system?

I know it's a big request, but help is greatly appreciated!

Duke of URL
2012-06-15, 11:23 AM
Well, that's not OGL material, so we can't give you a step-by-step. Best option is to get your hands on the book Weapons of Legacy, which covers all of this.

The short version is: neat concept, poorly executed. You have to sacrifice feats and GP to unlock legacy powers of your weapon, for returns that simply aren't justified for those costs. The idea of a single weapon's power scaling with you is pretty cool (and I used it myself (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2004547&postcount=3), without reference to WoL, in one of the old homebrew competitions here), but the costs are simply too great for it to be practical.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-06-15, 11:34 AM
Well, that's not OGL material, so we can't give you a step-by-step. Best option is to get your hands on the book Weapons of Legacy, which covers all of this.

The short version is: neat concept, poorly executed. You have to sacrifice feats and GP to unlock legacy powers of your weapon, for returns that simply aren't justified for those costs. The idea of a single weapon's power scaling with you is pretty cool (and I used it myself (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2004547&postcount=3), without reference to WoL, in one of the old homebrew competitions here), but the costs are simply too great for it to be practical.

Er, no you don't. I'm not even sure why they call them feats, since you automatically attain them after completing the ritual (which is a time-consuming sidequest). They don't take up feat slots, they're bonus feats.

But yeah, your best bet is to convert Kamate into a normal magic sword that sort of "unlocks" with level, doing something like starting as +1, then alternating between enhancements and enchantments every two levels, until you end up with a +5 sword of slashy slashy at level 19. No rituals, no gp (just have the GM take magic weapons meant for you out of the loot, and don't be a jerk and try to get an equal share), no penalties.

The-Mage-King
2012-06-15, 11:36 AM
Wrong, Duke. The feats are Bonus Feats, if you complete the rituals.

The steps are simple:

Aquire Legacy Item

Identify Legacy Item/Uncover Rituals

Be 5th level or higher

Complete ritual- gain Bonus Feat, take listed penalties, gain listed benefits for up to your level.

Repeat at levels 11 and 17.

Roguenewb
2012-06-15, 11:49 AM
ive got WoL, im just a little confused about what levels i have to do things at, can I retry checks, where can I research them, and so on