PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Ray of Exhaustion

jaybird
2012-06-15, 01:56 PM
If I hit a target with a Quickened Ray of Exhaustion plus a Ray of Exhaustion, is he automatically exhausted? Relevant spell here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/r/ray-of-exhaustion).

VGLordR2
2012-06-15, 02:00 PM
Assuming you succeed on both touch attacks, yes.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2012-06-15, 02:01 PM
That is correct, though you would have to succeed on two touch attacks and use a third and seventh-level spell slot. Also, the target would only be exhausted for the duration of the spell. It's a neat single-target debuff, but if you have 7th-level slots you have better things to do with your actions.

If you have a Quicken Spell Rod, this is actually a really good way to use it at lower levels.

jaybird
2012-06-15, 02:10 PM
Cool, thanks! Just for purposes of showing my GM - is there anywhere on the SRD that says so? As far as I know, the same effect from the same spell doesn't stack...?

Thomar_of_Uointer
2012-06-15, 03:37 PM
Cool, thanks! Just for purposes of showing my GM - is there anywhere on the SRD that says so? As far as I know, the same effect from the same spell doesn't stack...?

A character that is already fatigued instead becomes exhausted.

I think the spell itself is pretty explicit about the effect stacking. You can also refer to this:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#fatigued

Doing anything that would normally cause fatigue causes the fatigued character to become exhausted.

A fatigued character becomes exhausted by doing something else that would normally cause fatigue.

ericgrau
2012-06-15, 03:45 PM
Yes, but any single foe worth hitting will have SR at that level, and you need to pass your SR check twice. Fail either time and it's nearly useless.

Waves of exhaustion is better: multi-target, no save exhaustion, no tricks needed. Once you get 8th level spells try selective spell on it. Or anything that hits multiple targets or is save/SR no is better than single target. Like wall of force or reverse gravity.

For a better single target no-save debuff for major individual foes try empowered enervation. Piercing spell metamagic or (greater) spell penetration is helpful. Against multiple foes where none is much more important than the rest, see above instead.

Ravens_cry
2012-06-15, 03:46 PM
Something that Fatigues (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/conditions#TOC-Fatigued) a Fatigued character causes Exhaustion, it says so in the condition description.
Edit: Dang *gasp* Ninjas.

Jack Zander
2012-06-15, 04:08 PM
I always thought a spell effect did not stack with itself. The spell description stating that a fatigued character becomes exhausted is a general rule about what happens when a character is already fatigued from something (such as a barbarian's rage). It seems to me the second spell would suppress the first spell until its duration expires (in which case the first spell's duration is also probably expired).

That said, there is nothing really overpowered about dropping a 3rd and 7th level spell slot for this effect, so I'd probably let it slide anyway.

jaybird
2012-06-15, 04:13 PM
I always thought a spell effect did not stack with itself. The spell description stating that a fatigued character becomes exhausted is a general rule about what happens when a character is already fatigued from something (such as a barbarian's rage). It seems to me the second spell would suppress the first spell until its duration expires (in which case the first spell's duration is also probably expired).

Yeah, this is what I'm concerned about. Also, I don't intend on using a 3rd and a 7th - more like 2 3rds with a Lesser Quicken rod.