PDA

View Full Version : ok, is this build silly?

bobthe6th
2012-06-15, 05:26 PM
warlock 3/dread necromancer 4/ eldrich thurge 10/dread necromancer 5-7
cons:
lose 9th level spells
lose 2 dark invocations
lose 1d6 eldrich blast
lose lichyness
lose imbue item+decieve item
10 d4 HD... ouch...
pro:
17 level DN casting
17 levels of warlock casting
eldrich spell blast, circle of death on a eldrich spear?
GREAT REACH BLAST, I mean, can you say finger of death on a eldrich spear?
eldrich spell weave, utterdark chill touch?
the dead walk... actual at will animate dead, your 3rd and 4th level spells can now be used.

so? thoughts?

Ozreth
2012-06-15, 05:27 PM
That dosen't look like my language (I play mostly core only because I'm boring) but I say if it sounded cool enough for you to make then play it!

No?

Kuulvheysoon
2012-06-15, 05:30 PM
If you replaced Dread Necromancer with a (Focused) Necromancer, then at CL17 you'd still have access to 9ths.

bobthe6th
2012-06-15, 05:42 PM
the main reason is undead mastery+free healing... but, that is a problem as the build lacks the 8 real levels needed...

a) it was an idea, and b) I don't have a level 20 game to play it in. it gets less fun as you level it down.

so new build, warlock 3/DN 8/ET 9...

lose the great reach blast, gain an adavnced learning and undead master.

eggs
2012-06-15, 10:26 PM
warlock 3/dread necromancer 4/ eldrich thurge 10/dread necromancer 5-7
17 levels of warlock
Are we missing some information?

bobthe6th
2012-06-15, 10:36 PM
casting, 17 levels of invoking

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-06-15, 11:01 PM

You'll have the invocations known and EB damage of a Warlock 13. Practiced Spellcaster gives you +4 caster level for purposes of caster level checks, durations, and other level-dependent variables of individual spells and invocations. It does absolutely nothing to help you get higher level spells/invocations, and it doesn't let you count as a higher level in your class for how many you know.

You get Undead Mastery at Dread Necro 8, so your build won't even get it until level 21. Undead Mastery's HD control bonus is 4+Cha per class level, whereas Animate Dead's built-in limit is 4 per caster level. You will get a control limit about 50% higher with a decent Cha even at only DN 8, but it's not exactly worth giving up 9ths to gain it in the epic levels.

Animate Dead is not something you cast in combat, you throw those bodies in a bag of holding to be animated later, so you're not saving any spell slots. You can be a Necropolitan (LM) and get Spellstitched (CA) to gain Animate Dead as a spell-like ability usable 3/day (and again 3/day if you use a 3rd and a 4th for it), which means it no longer takes costly material components. The Dead Walk still requires material components if you want your animated dead to last, so it's no more useful than just casting Animate Dead normally.

Spellblast is decent, you could put a Waves of Exhaustion on your EB and severely debuff your opponents for example. Antimagic Field is typically the go-to area spell for that though, and it's not even on the DN spell list.

bobthe6th
2012-06-15, 11:07 PM
and my brain fails again, 13th level invoking... so now dark...
so yeah, this is a bit of a fail. one more build off my list.

eggs
2012-06-15, 11:10 PM
Warlock 3 + Eldritch Theurge 10 = 13 Warlock levels.
Where are the other 4 coming in?

EDIT:
Gotcha.