PDA

View Full Version : Damn Slipper. The Battledancing Variety.

Snowbluff
2012-06-15, 07:23 PM
So I am making a melee Bard (Bard8/SoldierofLightorwhatever2/ArcaneDuelist3). I got my Gauntlets of Heartfelt Blows. I got My Vest of Legends. I got some silly leather Slippers.

How can I use these with a Full Attack?

Jarian
2012-06-15, 07:24 PM
Sparring Dummy of the Master should allow you to take a 10-ft step, if memory serves. UMD the requirement of "Monk", and tada.

Kazyan
2012-06-15, 07:29 PM
The wording of the slippers implies that you have to take a move action to get them to work, unfortunately.

Jarian
2012-06-15, 07:31 PM
The wording of the slippers implies that you have to take a move action to get them to work, unfortunately.

Hm. Pesky.

Replace the slippers with Snowflake Wardance?

Snowbluff
2012-06-15, 07:35 PM
Sparring Dummy of the Master should allow you to take a 10-ft step, if memory serves. UMD the requirement of "Monk", and tada.

Sounds good.

... dammit.

Hm. Pesky.

Replace the slippers with Snowflake Wardance?

Snowflake Wardance can only be used with weapons in one hand. They stack with the silly Slippers, but I wanted to use 2H for better PA, and a positive gain from Arcane Duelist's thingy class feature.

kardar233
2012-06-15, 07:38 PM
Spare a level somewhere for a Sacred Exorcist dip then Travel Devotion?

Snowbluff
2012-06-15, 07:41 PM
Spare a level somewhere for a Sacred Exorcist dip then Travel Devotion?

I actually have Turning (SoldierofIstoppedcaring), but it doesn't count as a move action, does it?

Jarian
2012-06-15, 07:43 PM
I actually have Turning (SoldierofIstoppedcaring), but it doesn't count as a move action, does it?

It does not, unfortunately.

Edit:

They stack with the silly Slippers, but I wanted to use 2H for better PA, and a positive gain from Arcane Duelist's thingy class feature.

Screw Power Attack. You're a Bard. Dragonfire everything to death. If you have the feats, get a heritage with sonic or force.

eggs
2012-06-15, 07:51 PM
Belt of Battle or Dorje of Hustle?

EDIT:
The Dorje would be 4500 gp for 50 rounds - not a great deal, but probably manageable.

Waker
2012-06-15, 08:03 PM
If you can make a DC 40 Tumble check you can make a 10ft step as a 5ft step while still taking a full attack. The rules are written on pg 58 of Oriental Adventures.

Snowbluff
2012-06-15, 08:12 PM
It does not, unfortunately.

Screw Power Attack. You're a Bard. Dragonfire everything to death. If you have the feats, get a heritage with sonic or force.

Hey if it stacks and it does damage and I'll take it. I might drop a level of Arcane Duelist (Keeping the AC bonus but dropping the Accuracy boost) and grabbing TWF, slotless gloves of the balanced hand. Take 2 level of Seeker of the Song (Inspire Courage +10 and DFI +10d6) and Equip 2 Crystal Echoblades. While Power attacking with Rapiers.

Belt of Battle or Dorje of Hustle?

EDIT:
The Dorje would be 4500 gp for 50 rounds - not a great deal, but probably manageable.

Yeah, does that take a hand or should I PSI/Spellcasting Transparency a wand of it?

If you can make a DC 40 Tumble check you can make a 10ft step as a 5ft step while still taking a full attack. The rules are written on pg 58 of Oriental Adventures.

Does it count as a Move action?

Waker
2012-06-15, 08:20 PM
The action required is the same as taking a 5ft step, except it is instead a 10ft step. The skill description specifically calls out being able to make a full attack afterwards.
To make getting the DC 40 a bit easier, dipping a level of Exemplar and Marshall might help.

Jarian
2012-06-15, 08:28 PM
The action required is the same as taking a 5ft step, except it is instead a 10ft step. The skill description specifically calls out being able to make a full attack afterwards.
To make getting the DC 40 a bit easier, dipping a level of Exemplar and Marshall might help.

I think what he was getting at is that the Slippers require you to "move at least 10 feet as part of a move action".

Snowbluff
2012-06-15, 08:29 PM

Can a 5ft step be considered a move action? If it can... :smallbiggrin:

I think UMDing the munk-jiangthingamabobber might be easier.

Eldariel
2012-06-15, 08:47 PM
There's the Level 7 Diamond Mind maneuver "Quicksilver Motion", of course... Other than that, Lesser Celerity? Ehh...

Snowbluff
2012-06-15, 09:16 PM
There's the Level 7 Diamond Mind maneuver "Quicksilver Motion", of course... Other than that, Lesser Celerity? Ehh...

Yeah, I wish I had the feats for Dazing Immunity and Extra Spell to pick up Lesser Celerity.

Waker
2012-06-15, 09:38 PM
Well, after looking up the Slippers, I don't see any way of using them and getting a full attack without pounce. The Sparring Dummy has the same restriction that Tumble does, since it isn't a move action. The 5-foot step from both of them are labeled as Misc. Actions.
You'll probably have to dip Barbarian in there.

kardar233
2012-06-15, 09:41 PM
Well, after looking up the Slippers, I don't see any way of using them and getting a full attack without pounce. The Sparring Dummy has the same restriction that Tumble does, since it isn't a move action. The 5-foot step from both of them are labeled as Misc. Actions.

Does it say Move Action or Charge? Sorry, don't have DMGII.

If it specifically says "move action", you'll need some way of getting Hustle, Swiftblade or some other way of an extra action.

Waker
2012-06-15, 09:56 PM
If he moves at least 10 feet as part of a move action
The relevant section for the slippers.
And just cause I screwed up, even Pounce wouldn't help since Charge is a full-round action, not a move action. Though there is a portion that bears some notice.

If you are able to take only a standard action or a move action on your turn, you can still charge, but you are only allowed to move up to your speed (instead of up to double your speed). You can’t use this option unless you are restricted to taking only a standard action or move action on your turn.
I suppose if you could find a way to deny yourself a one of the two, you could still use pounce.

Snowbluff
2012-06-15, 10:02 PM

Does it say Move Action or Charge? Sorry, don't have DMGII.

If it specifically says "move action", you'll need some way of getting Hustle, Swiftblade or some other way of an extra action.

It does say move action. Pounce could work. One of my Bard levels is currently doing nothing but BaB right now.

eggs
2012-06-15, 10:13 PM
Dorje would use either a hand or a favorable houserule regarding wand chambers.

That might not be a problem though - Unarmed strikes or armor spikes could allow TWF without an empty hand.

Zombulian
2012-06-15, 10:18 PM
You may not have to dip barb, you could pick up some way of getting psionic lion's charge. It's a 1st lvl power I think, so you could pick it up with Hidden Talent feat.

Snowbluff
2012-06-15, 10:31 PM
Dorje would use either a hand or a favorable houserule regarding wand chambers.

That might not be a problem though - Unarmed strikes or armor spikes could allow TWF without an empty hand.

I think one of these thinks I am taking needs my weapon to be one-handed, and the other needs them to be slashing.

You may not have to dip barb, you could pick up some way of getting psionic lion's charge. It's a 1st lvl power I think, so you could pick it up with Hidden Talent feat.

Sorry. Normally I'd be on it, but I outta feats and Hustle is useable at close range.

tonberrian
2012-06-15, 11:20 PM
Swiftblade gets you an extra action, though it's hard to work in.

Snowbluff
2012-06-15, 11:53 PM
Swiftblade gets you an extra action, though it's hard to work in.

Yeah, and it does not progress Bardic Music. The prereg line up with Arcane Duelist, though.

moritheil
2012-06-15, 11:58 PM
And just cause I screwed up, even Pounce wouldn't help since Charge is a full-round action, not a move action. Though there is a portion that bears some notice.

I suppose if you could find a way to deny yourself a one of the two, you could still use pounce.

Be a zombie hydra? :smalltongue:

Eldariel
2012-06-16, 06:46 AM
It does say move action. Pounce could work. One of my Bard levels is currently doing nothing but BaB right now.

Pounce does not count as a move action, unfortunately. What you need is feating for the move stuff and daze immunity or itemizing. Belt of Battle allows you to use this 3 times of the day as an easy choice; a couple of them would have you going nicely. Boots of Battle Charger + Pounce could also work. Stuff like Extra Hand (I wanna say "Eberron Campaign Settings" but I'm not sure) could solve the "holding Dorje + 2 weapons"-problem.

Aharon
2012-06-16, 07:42 AM

Being staggered all the time works, as does being nauseated. Both have drawbacks, of course. But it's an awesom mental picture - the bard first has to be beaten almost to unconcsiousness or feel about as ill as a landlubber on sea during a storm, then he performs best in battle :smallbiggrin:

Waker
2012-06-16, 09:49 AM
Being staggered all the time works, as does being nauseated. Both have drawbacks, of course. But it's an awesom mental picture - the bard first has to be beaten almost to unconcsiousness or feel about as ill as a landlubber on sea during a storm, then he performs best in battle :smallbiggrin:

So the battle strategy is to get the bard incomprehensibly drunk?

eggs
2012-06-16, 02:14 PM
There is nary a problem alive that a drunk brass section won't remedy!

moritheil
2012-06-16, 02:31 PM
So the battle strategy is to get the bard incomprehensibly drunk?

VICTORY! :smallbiggrin: