PDA

View Full Version : Netflix In The Playground

Gnomish Wanderer
2012-06-16, 03:57 PM
So I peruse Netflix often trying to find something good to watch. I've find my share of good and bad, and I'm always looking for more. In this thread we recommend and discuss the various gems you can find on Netflix Instant Watch. Feel free to post your own finds, good or bad, and discuss the movies you've found. Discussion about certain movies beyond basic description should be spoilered as not to ruin it for people looking for movies to watch.
Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog: Broadway-style musical, but don't let that put you off. A really great watch but not very long.

Dollhouse: amazing TV show by Joss Whedon, killed similarly to Firefly after two seasons, but does have a satisfying ending

Repeaters: Great sci-fi drama about morality

Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil: Hilarious premise, great execution. Somewhat of a horror movie

Timecrimes: A spanish movie about time travel. Excellent and thought-provoking

13 Assassins: Japanese Samurai Age type movie. Never have I seen a movie with more action than this one. It seems to satisfy the problem poised in xkcd311 (http://xkcd.com/311/)

These are some of the greats I've found on Neflix. What are yours?

Bhu
2012-06-16, 04:30 PM
I do love me some Netflix. I'd recommend in no particular order (and for various different reasons):

* May be disturbing to some

Preaching to the Perverted*

The Image*

Carved*

I Sell the Dead

The Shuttered Room/It!

The Good, The Bad, The Weird

Party 7

5 Element Ninjas

In the Loop

Black House (the Korean version)*

Dead FIsh

Winnebago Man

Chocolate

Trollhunter

Unconscious

Incident at Blood Pass

Riget*

My Fuhrer

Shiver

Terribly Happy

WIld Target

A Woman, A Gun, A Noodle Shop

The WOman*

Matando Cabos

The Quiet Family

Lady Snowblood

Lateral
2012-06-16, 06:06 PM
Hmm, isn't Firefly on Instant Watch?

Dr.Epic
2012-06-16, 06:24 PM
Dollhouse: amazing TV show by Joss Whedon, killed similarly to Firefly after two seasons, but does have a satisfying ending

What is this? I've never heard of it before. Does it seem like something I would like?

:smallwink::smalltongue:

Soras Teva Gee
2012-06-16, 06:54 PM
My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic: Both seasons of this awesome show are available. Sadly they chose to use an edited version of The Last Roundup which I won't get into farther, but other then that a great way to check out the most infectious show ever.

Doctor Who: Almost complete collection of the NuWho covering 9, 10, and 11 so far. Only missing (so help me) the Easter special from Tennant's era, and some shorts features. Isolated serials of Classic Who are also available, though seemingly at random. You do also have to search for The Waters of Mars and The End of Time separately so be sure you don't miss them before jumping to the last two seasons. A great way to see a great show.

Torchwood: Same deal, though I haven't look into as much detail as to if everything is there.

Mythbusters: Has many (possibly all) episodes available. Unfortunately they are absolutely maddeningly ordered, not merely a season out of order, but across seasons with no sense of chronology. Not that this is a show where that matters but still maddening.

Anime (General Assessment): Kinda a mixed bag on selection here, but they do have some excellent choices in Baccano! and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann among others. I also just found they have an old school standby of mine available in Slayers. However as far as I've found while Netflix does have language/sub-title options they have not been applied to anime so its dubs only. I'm no delusional purist there though, but dubs do vary in quality.

Western Animation (General Assessment): A very good selection here. There's old Nicktoons classics like Hey Arnold, the a good helping of the Marvel Cartoons like the 90s X-men and Spiderman, along with more recent ones like Avatar. So help me the major gap seems to be in Warner Bros material, no DCAU material is perhaps the biggest hole I've found. Also a good selection of the comedy cartoons, all of Futurama for example is available.

Gnomish Wanderer
2012-06-16, 08:21 PM
Troll Hunter
Ooh, I had forgotten to include this in my original list, this movie is so great. I haven't seen any of the titles on the rest of the list but now I have a list to work from :3

Bhu
2012-06-16, 09:41 PM
Oooh i forgot Rare Exports and the Last Circus!

Also, a lot of those films are NOT for everyone. I'd recommend different ones for different tastes and just tried giving a variety there so be sure to look at the description on netflix before ordering. Some of those are a lil messed up.

Starscream
2012-06-16, 10:37 PM
30 Rock: Best sitcom on television, no exceptions.

Archer: Very raunchy, but if you are into that, it's absolutely hilarious.

Airplane!: An utter classic. Watching it right now, in fact. Also has the sequel, which has it's moments.

An American Werewolf in London: Best. Werewolf. Transformation. EVER.

Arsenic and Old Lace: If you don't like this movie, we're not friends anymore!:smallannoyed:

Blackadder: Everyone should give this show a chance. I'd start with season 2, though. That's when it really found its voice.

Jim Henson's the Storyteller: One of the great tragedies is that this show didn't last long. It's some of Henson's most impressive work.

The Secret of NIMH: Still one of the best animated films ever made.

Ramza00
2012-06-16, 11:36 PM
Sherlock: The BBC one with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman you must go see this...NOW!!!

Hida Reju
2012-06-17, 05:13 AM
Bunraku - Ron Perlman, Josh Hartnett, Gackt, With Woody Harrelson playing backup. Very awesome narrative and interesting story telling with decent action.

The man from Nowhwere - one of the best drama/action movies to come out of Korea.

Lie to Me (TV)- Tim Roth plays a master of lying and lie detection and helps people find the truth sometimes to their detriment.

Jericho (TV) - It's a live action Fallout story with decent acting and a cool metaplot. Cut short due to political pressure being "Too smart"

Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior if you want over the top super action this is where you go. Tony Jaa takes high flying super kicks to the next lvl.

Chocolate - Despite sounding corny its about an Autistic girl that learns martial arts by observation. She tries to help out her mother with money issues with the help of a friend to guide her around. Yes it was better than it sounds.

Hobo With a shotgun - Its bad, terribad, but so very fun to watch.

INDYSTAR188
2012-06-17, 04:50 PM
Battlestar Galactica: I'm sure it's not new to a lot of the Playground but I had never heard of it when I found it on Netflix.

Old Boy: A very interesting Korean movie. It's intense but can be very disturbing *please don't watch this with your kids!*

Documentaries: I really like to watch them and Netflix has a great assortment including; Inside North Korea, Food INC, and Surviving the Cut (as a member of the military myself I find this fascinating).

Bhu
2012-06-17, 05:02 PM
Couple more:

Django

My Young Auntie

Exte: Hair Extensions

Prey

Quick Draw Okatsu

Female Demon Ohyaku

Frostbitten

The CHangeling

Seance

.Rec

Curse of the Demon/Night of the Demon

How to be a Serial Killer

Wild Zero

Battle Wizard

The Magic Blade

The Wayward Cloud

Prophecy

Undead

YPF

Below

Amelie

Azumi

Better than Chocolate

Black SHeep (the horror comedy)

Brain Donors

Bit I'm a CHeerleader

Choke

The Dagger of Kamui

Dead Birds

Dead Snow

Deathwatch

Delicatessen

The Devil's Backbone

Falling Down

Father Ted

Fawlty Towers

Fido

Four ROoms

High Plains Drifter

The Hudsucker Proxy

In Bruges

Infestation

The Killer

The Limey

The Maid

Micmacs

Millers Crossing

Mr. Vampire

Paprika

Psychopathia Sexualis

Bandh Dharwaza

Purana Mandir

Red Sands

Renaissance

Samurai FIction

Sauna

Session 9

Severance

Shadow of the Vampire

Shortbus

6 String Samurai

Special

The SPecials

Suicide Kings

The Ugly

Gnomish Wanderer
2012-06-19, 06:22 PM
That list is perhaps too long, Bhu. It doesn't really help my indecision to pick a movie. :smalltongue:

Speaking of which, I finally got around to watching Chocolate. I have actually had that movie in my Instant Queue for like a year now, just never watched it. It was great, you should definitely watch it too, if you haven't. It was like watching a Jackie Chan movie starring Summer Glau. The movie was really touching on some deep level. And my friends and I were absolutely shocked when we thought Moom had been shot and killed. Great times were had overall.

I also watched Oldboy. truthfully I would not recommend it, but it wasn't a bad movie. I think what put me off is the resolution hit me like a ton of bricks. Earlier in the movie I thought maybe she was his daughter but waved the idea away, but when I found it to be true it completely shocked me. Still, the moral of the story felt like 'No matter what you do you can never predict the results of your actions.' which seems like a sad moral.

I'll also recommend The Speed of Thought. Kinda a slow movie, but it was a rather interesting watch. A decent movie if you're bored.

The Extinguisher
2012-06-19, 07:06 PM
I was all excited that stuff I like was on Netflix, but then I remembered I live in Canada and I got a sadness.

But there is some cool stuff I found. Well my, roommate found, but it's still really good. Check out The Secret of Kells. It's a really good animated film about the Celtic and the Vikings and an illuminated manuscript.

Das Platyvark
2012-06-19, 07:54 PM
Sherlock: The BBC one with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman you must go see this...NOW!!!

Have you seen Luther? Similar only it's that a british cop show, but they've both extended beyond the premise (though Luther perhaps not quite so much). Very dark, very much fun.

INDYSTAR188
2012-06-19, 08:04 PM
I was all excited that stuff I like was on Netflix, but then I remembered I live in Canada and I got a sadness.

But there is some cool stuff I found. Well my, roommate found, but it's still really good. Check out The Secret of Kells. It's a really good animated film about the Celtic and the Vikings and an illuminated manuscript.

+1 for this! I think its a really good kids movie and a fun adventure. I really liked the animation/art style.

In regards to Old Boy:
No doubt about it, that guy has a pretty crappy life. I was SHOCKED to find out it was his daughter. But it's such an interesting idea... especially the beginning in the hotel room --> then the getting let out randomly --> then following the dumpling trail... it's not my favorite movie by any means but it is definitely a hidden gem/ not many people know about it.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-06-19, 08:19 PM
Mythbusters: Has many (possibly all) episodes available. Unfortunately they are absolutely maddeningly ordered, not merely a season out of order, but across seasons with no sense of chronology. Not that this is a show where that matters but still maddening.

The Mythbusters management is terrible. They don't have all the episodes, BTW. "Ultimate Mythbuster" was referenced in several episodes, but the episode it was in wasn't on there. Also, the MacGyver special was episode 100, and it wasn't said to be the finale. Netflix has 80.

Eon Kid: I had memories of a show I saw a couple episodes of years ago on Saturday mornings. I remembered the name, looked it up, watched all of it. At 26 episodes, it's rather short, but I love it. Unfortunately, Code Lyoko, another show I had even vaguer memories of back from when my family had satellite (now THAT was a while ago), which I only knew the name of because the full theme showed up on YouTube with a picture of a character I recognized, isn't on there. Nor is Ben 10, another show I wanted to watch.

Phineas and Ferb: I love this show. And Netflix let me watch all 90 and counting episodes. I could've sworn that the "P&F Get Busted" episode was either the premier or the finale of season 2, so it might have some order problems... but from what I've seen, it doesn't look like it.

MacGyver: I mentioned a MacGyver special on Mythbusters. That's what inspired me to look this up. Great show.

I hope they add Ben 10 (as well as the two sequel series. Serieses?), Code Lyoko, and W.I.T.C.H. (I've heard good things about it).

Bhu
2012-06-20, 12:42 PM
That list is perhaps too long, Bhu. It doesn't really help my indecision to pick a movie. :smalltongue:

Add Kill! to thats list. It's an action/comedy parody of samurai and italian giallo films.

I also watched Oldboy. truthfully I would not recommend it, but it wasn't a bad movie. I think what put me off is the resolution hit me like a ton of bricks. Earlier in the movie I thought maybe she was his daughter but waved the idea away, but when I found it to be true it completely shocked me. Still, the moral of the story felt like 'No matter what you do you can never predict the results of your actions.' which seems like a sad moral.

Oldboy is part of a trilogy on how the need for revenge can make victims into worse monsters than their abusers, and how the need for vengeance can twist and destroy lives. Similar themes can be found in I Saw the Devil.

MonkeyBusiness
2012-06-21, 05:53 PM
The Secret of NIMH: Still one of the best animated films ever made.

... and an adorable soundtrack. I still love "Flying Dreams".

It's been a little while since I watched Netflix instant, but I think I've watched some old school *Sesame Street* and *Electric Company* about a year and a half ago. That was fun.

Dienekes
2012-06-21, 06:28 PM
What is this? I've never heard of it before. Does it seem like something I would like?

:smallwink::smalltongue:

Honestly, I wasn't very impressed with it. I watched the first season, because it came on right after I discovered Firefly, and after I just never got desire to see it too it's conclusion.

It's a very interesting premise [people sign up to essentially be the perfect prostitutes getting their mind continually wiped and re-wired with multiple personalities for the benefit of the buyer], undoubtedly, but really there was nothing for me to really grasp on as something I'd want to watch.

I also really remember one episode where the main female lead and a minor-ish female were both given the same personality and was in utter shock how much more believable and better acted the non-lead female was. To be honest I don't think Dushku was the right choice for the lead.

However, I could watch Alan Tudyk's performance all day. But then I do love villains.

Rake21
2012-06-22, 09:47 AM
Some quick ones you might have overlooked but are worth watching:

Ip Man: The story of the man who trained Bruce Lee. Donnie Yen puts out a fantastic preformance and the film has one of the best fight scenes I've come across in a while (Yen vs 10 Japanese martial artists). Really great film. Its sequel is also on Netflix, but I haven't seen it yet.

Warrior's Way: An assassin betrays his clan of incredibly skilled ninja rather then murder the last child of a rival clan. He flees to America with the kid and tries to make a life in a run-down town in the West. Unfortunatly, the town has it's own problems with a roving band of killers. And then the ninjas show up...

And it is glorious.

Spectacualr Spider-man: An amazing show that's life was cut short. It's a wonderful interpretation of the charecter, his villians, supporting cast, and New York itself. The animation is gorgeous, the voice acting is top notch, and the plots are all pretty damn good. If you never watched it on it's brief run, now would be a good time to check it out

Empedocles
2012-06-22, 10:29 AM
I recently watched Limitless, and personally I thoroughly enjoyed it and would heavily recommend it :smallsmile:

Karoht
2012-06-22, 12:23 PM
Ted Talks
The Guild
Futurama
Dr Horrible
Documentaries such as Freakanomics
Mythbusters
90's Xmen, 90's Spiderman
And a list of movies a mile long.

Xondoure
2012-06-22, 07:17 PM
A shout out to Avatar the Last Airbender, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Firefly.

MonkeyBusiness
2012-06-23, 06:34 PM
Another thing I watched about a year ago on instant was the *House of Cards* series. Actually quite a lot of Masterpiece Theater items were on instant. I like this one in particular because the protagonist is Evil. One of the best (meaning most shocking, skin-crawlingly repulsive) effects of the show is the way the main character breaks the fourth wall, talking to the viewer in a way that makes one feel like an unwilling accomplice. It has aspects of Shakespearean drama, but is set in British Parliament in the 80's.

Wow. A must see.

Gnomish Wanderer
2012-06-27, 04:59 AM
Oh yeah, before I forget, I'm super happy they have Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind on Netflix. Rewatched a couple of times, still every bit as good as I remember it.

+1 for this! I think its a really good kids movie and a fun adventure. I really liked the animation/art style.
I tried watching The Secret of Kells and just couldn't get into it. I dunno why.

Honestly, I wasn't very impressed with it. I watched the first season, because it came on right after I discovered Firefly, and after I just never got desire to see it too it's conclusion.

It's a very interesting premise [people sign up to essentially be the perfect prostitutes getting their mind continually wiped and re-wired with multiple personalities for the benefit of the buyer], undoubtedly, but really there was nothing for me to really grasp on as something I'd want to watch.

I also really remember one episode where the main female lead and a minor-ish female were both given the same personality and was in utter shock how much more believable and better acted the non-lead female was. To be honest I don't think Dushku was the right choice for the lead.

However, I could watch Alan Tudyk's performance all day. But then I do love villains.Aww, that's too bad, I'd say the second season is where things take off. Too bad Dollhouse got canceled after, but it actually has a resolution at the end that is arguably satisfying.

I recently watched Limitless, and personally I thoroughly enjoyed it and would heavily recommend it :smallsmile:
+1, Limitless was better than I thought it would be.

Edit: I just realized they now have Battle Royale on Netflix. I haven't seen this in like 10 years or something, I'm going to see if it's as good as an impressionable little me used to think.

Fragenstein
2012-06-27, 07:56 AM
Right now I'm trying to work my way through the TV adaptation of Terry Pratchett's "Soul Music".

The writing is classic Discworld and they spent a fortune on voice talent... but the animation itself is terrible. Worse than terrible, it's like a disease. My imagination is being infected and coloring my view of the novels. Uncool.

I have to keep picturing Rincewind as Rowan Atkinson's "Blackadder" character just to keep it from further deterioration. I wonder if it was originally intended to be an audio-only format?

Empedocles
2012-06-27, 01:10 PM
If you're into anime, GUN X SWORD is extremely good. It definitely gets off to a slow start, but stick with it for a little while; it's well worth the wait.

Bhu
2012-06-27, 01:13 PM
Edit: I just realized they now have Battle Royale on Netflix. I haven't seen this in like 10 years or something, I'm going to see if it's as good as an impressionable little me used to think.

BR1 and 2 finally got official US releases. Apparently enough time has passed since Columbine that the film industry and guvmint no longer fears it will inspire children to murder their parents and violently overthrow society.

Bulldog Psion
2012-06-27, 01:33 PM
Since their site is dense and impervious and I don't have much time to check it out right now -- do they have movies in other languages than English? I'm looking for Russian specifically, since that's my wife's first language, though her English is good, too.

Tyndmyr
2012-06-27, 02:07 PM
I recommend Better Off Ted. It's like if someone made a TV show about Cave Johnson and co.

The Nth Doctor
2012-06-27, 02:34 PM
Primeval is suprisingly good. It's a British show with a pretty low budget and is cheesy in places, but still good. Started almost like a poor mans Doctor Who but found its own path.

Karoht
2012-06-27, 03:20 PM
The Walking Dead is on Netflix. First season so far, I haven't checked back in a while to see if they have added more yet.

Bhu
2012-06-27, 05:06 PM
Since their site is dense and impervious and I don't have much time to check it out right now -- do they have movies in other languages than English? I'm looking for Russian specifically, since that's my wife's first language, though her English is good, too.

They do carry foreign films yes.

http://instantwatcher.com/ I don't know if this site covers what they have on dvd but it covers what they have via streaming pretty well

Dante & Vergil
2012-07-02, 06:08 AM
My personal likes I've heard or seen good things about, and watched them through Netflix's instant streaming include, Avatar, the Last Airbender, Burn Notice, and White Collar. The newest season of Burn Notice just started, so I hope the one before this one gets put on netflix soon.

Bulldog Psion
2012-07-04, 10:03 AM
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I just used it to watch War of the Arrows last night. Yes, I know it's partly lifted from Apocalypto. Yes, I know the CGI tiger is pretty bad (since it's only there for about 10 seconds, it's not too much of a burden, though). However, I thought it was a decent action film -- it was nice to see something set in medieval Korea, for one thing.

Velaryon
2012-07-04, 07:54 PM
Speaking of which, I finally got around to watching Chocolate. I have actually had that movie in my Instant Queue for like a year now, just never watched it. It was great, you should definitely watch it too, if you haven't. It was like watching a Jackie Chan movie starring Summer Glau. The movie was really touching on some deep level. And my friends and I were absolutely shocked when we thought Moom had been shot and killed. Great times were had overall.

I'm glad to see Chocolate getting some love. I've tried like hell to get my friends to watch this pretty awesome martial arts film, but no one is ever interested. I really think they had some very creative fight scenes, and the plot isn't as unforgivably simple and stupid as, say, Ong-Bak.

Aww, that's too bad, I'd say the second season is where things take off. Too bad Dollhouse got canceled after, but it actually has a resolution at the end that is arguably satisfying.

Really? I felt like the last half of the second season tried to shoehorn in three seasons or more of plot into half a dozen episodes, resulting in a poorly paced story with forced plot twists that didn't make much sense. Up until then it was going pretty well though.

Empedocles
2012-07-08, 11:53 AM
Saw a pretty good superhero movie last night on Netflix called Black Lightning. It had some fairly gaping plot holes, but was still very enjoyable.