PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Questions

Tokuhara
2012-06-16, 08:45 PM
I'm going to be a part of an upcoming PF game, and have a couple questions.

I personally am going to play a Human Cavalier (Beast Rider Gendarme Archetypes) who will be more or less my Avatar.

I can only wear Medium Armor, but stumbled across the Armored Kilt. It states that it raises the armor category by 1 (Light to Medium, Medium to Heavy). Does this allow someone to bypass Proficiency rules, or do I take a nonproficiency penalty?

I also plan on being primarily a mounted combatant who charges on my Lion mount (once I get Lion, I ain't changing). I plan on using a lance and shield with a sword as my secondary. Is this a good plan, or should I opt for a different option? My "Lance" is my Banner (One piece of gear).

My major question lies in the armor, but I definitely would like some help with my choice of Order. I am leaning towards Order of the Warrior (Samurai order), seeing as how none of them really are tailored for mounted guys. Am I missing something here?

And just so everyone knows, I am looking to optimize, but not so much as to overshadow the following group:

Female Kitsune Ninja (she is the party's Assassin/skillmonkey. She's taking Vow of Truth and Silence)
Male Gnome Alchemist (He's playing a grenadier-themed gnome who will be replacing the Wizard in this party. He's BFC/Buffer)
Female Human Oracle (She's the standard divine caster of the party. Nothing special)
Male Dwarf White-Haired Witch 2/Grapple Monk (He's our main Melee character. Yes, he's not a damage machine, but again, he's using his beard to grab the opponent)
Male Saurian (3rd Party Dinosaur People) Wildblooded Crossblooded Sorcerer (Linnorm/Arcane)/Dragon Disciple (This is our "true caster", but he's going Words of Power, going with a more Skyrim-esq Dragon Shout effect. He's being this build for pure flavor reasons, since his character is a believer of that Dinosaurs are descendant of Dragons, and since the Saurians are descendant of Dinosaurs, he has strong Dragon blood. He's going with the opening combo of Improved Initiative/Minidinosaur/Trait that gives +2 Initiative)

Waker
2012-06-16, 09:14 PM
First off, the Kilt does increase the armor to the next category, so putting it on medium armor would make it count as heavy armor.
As for the orders, there are a couple that are suited to mounted combat. The most tailored to mounted combat is the Order of the Sword. Gives you an increasing attack bonus while mounted as part of your challenge, which is ok. The real nice part is Mounted Mastery at level 8. Ignore ACP, dodge bonus against set against charge attacks, add your mount's strength on a charge and a bonus feat.
Order of the Cockatrice is decent for the increased damage when you use Challenge, especially since it would be increased on a charge with a lance.
Getting a bonus feat is also useful.

grarrrg
2012-06-16, 10:07 PM
The most most tailored to mounted combat is the Order of the Sword. Gives you an increasing attack bonus while mounted as part of your challenge, which is ok. The real nice part is Mounted Mastery at level 8. Ignore ACP, dodge bonus against set against charge attacks, add your mount's strength on a charge and a bonus feat.

I second Order of the Sword (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier/orders/paizo---cavalier-orders/order-of-the-sword).

Beast Rider trades away Expert Trainer, so you can't make use of the Horse Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/horse-master-combat) Trick, so any Multi/Prestige classing should be kept to a minimum.
Boon Companion can help if you do multi-class, but there aren't many classes worth taking for your build.

Actually...there might be 1 PrC that would work...
*rummages through the internets*
Here's a potential build:
Cavalier (your Archetypes) 2/Druid (World Walker (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/archetypes/paizo---druid-archetypes/world-walker)) 3/Nature Warden (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/n-r/nature-warden) 4+/More Cavalier

Short version: Your Animal Companion/Mount is full progression, it's Natural Attacks count as Silver, and it has DR 4/Silver (or higher).
You'll also have 6th level Druid casting (different/low enough to not step on the Oracle's toes).

Waker
2012-06-16, 10:47 PM
grarrrg, you're drunk on power, gimme your keys. That is a nice build, but I think it detracts from his cavalierness a bit much.
I would suggest having the lion put his 4th level ability score point into Intelligence to bump it to 3 and then wait til he gets 15 Strength (6th level) and his BAB to +6 (9th level). After that you can take feats from outside the Animal Companion list, most specifically Eldritch Claws, which lets his natural attack be considered magic and silver.

Animal companions with an Intelligence of 3 or higher can select any feat they are physically capable of using. GMs might expand this list to include feats from other sources.
Make sure to run this by your DM first.

grarrrg
2012-06-16, 11:42 PM
grarrrg, you're drunk on power, gimme your keys.

The OP did say, and I quote (emphasis mine)

I am looking to optimize, but not so much as to overshadow the following group

I would think that "drunk on power" would be assumed, yes?

That is a nice build, but I think it detracts from his cavalierness a bit much.

I agree (depending on starting/final level anyway).
But it is one of the VERY few Multi/Prestige classes that doesn't drop his Animal Companion levels, while still being "Cavalier-y".

I think Nature Warden is the only PrC that advances Animal Companions.
As for base classes, Ranger/Paladin are out for being too similar to Cavalier.
Oracle/Cleric can get one through Mystery/Domain, but Oracles come with Curses, and Clerics w/Animal Domain have a 3 level penalty.
Druid gets full Companion with no strings attached, but on it's own is a poor pairing (but the fastest/best entry into Nature Warden though).

Actually, Oracle wouldn't be the worst pairing (assuming Nature Warden is out). You could take the Lame curse, it wouldn't matter much as you're Riding most of the time. Nature Mystery (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/mysteries/paizo---oracle-mysteries/nature) is the only one with a Mount option, and as an added bonus, your Companion would automatically have 6 INT.
Granted, he doesn't want to step on anyone's toes, but it's doubtful their current Oracle has Nature Mystery, and he'd only take 4 levels Max (1 lost Bab, 2nd level spells). 4 levels would be enough for 2 Revelations, Mount is obvious, but he could take Nature's Whispers as the other to let him use CHA for AC and CMD. Throw on the Noble Scion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/noble-scion) feat (War option) and get CHA to initiative as well and just DUMP DEX altogether.

StreamOfTheSky
2012-06-17, 01:11 AM
Depending on how much your group would value moving as an immediate action once/encounter, my favorite order is Order of the Dragon. The skills are nice, the level 8 and 15 abilities are nice. Level 2 ability can be good if you use it w/ the Bodyguard feat and Combat Reflexes and possibly the Helpful trait, but on its own is pretty bleh.

Baroncognito
2012-06-17, 04:52 AM
I can only wear Medium Armor, but stumbled across the Armored Kilt. It states that it raises the armor category by 1 (Light to Medium, Medium to Heavy). Does this allow someone to bypass Proficiency rules, or do I take a nonproficiency penalty?

I think a Kilted Mithril Breastplate would still count as medium.

gartius
2012-06-17, 05:58 AM
I think a Kilted Mithril Breastplate would still count as medium.

You would still need heavy prof for it though.

When worked like steel, it becomes a wonderful material from which to create armor, and is occasionally used for other items as well. Most mithral armors are one category lighter than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations. Heavy armors are treated as medium, and medium armors are treated as light, but light armors are still treated as light. This decrease does not apply to proficiency in wearing the armor.

Waker
2012-06-17, 09:44 AM
grarrrg, I wasn't saying that the build was too powerful, the drunk on power phrase is just one of my goofier idiosyncracies. I still think he would be better off going single classed Cavalier to continue his progress of the class abilities, like Challenge or increasing his Order abilities.

grarrrg
2012-06-17, 11:09 AM
grarrrg, I wasn't saying that the build was too powerful, the drunk on power phrase is just one of my goofier idiosyncracies. I still think he would be better off going single classed Cavalier to continue his progress of the class abilities, like Challenge or increasing his Order abilities.

Oh.
Well.
That's fine too.
Just giving/showing options is all.

Tokuhara
2012-06-17, 01:45 PM
Ok. Quick question:

Im jonesing on two big builds.

The first is my Lion-Riding Cavalier, and the other is a Kitsune Sword Saint Samurai with Warrior Order focused on Iaijutsu-Focus

Waker
2012-06-17, 01:50 PM
Ok. Quick question:

The first is my Lion-Riding Cavalier, and the other is a Kitsune Sword Saint Samurai with Warrior Order focused on Iaijutsu-Focus

I don't see a question here. Are you asking how to combine the two or which one is better?

grarrrg
2012-06-17, 02:16 PM
Ok. Quick question:

Lion-Cavalier, all the way.

grarrrg
2012-06-17, 02:18 PM
Ok. Quick question:

Lion-Cavalier, all the way.

Tokuhara
2012-06-17, 02:27 PM
I don't see a question here. Are you asking how to combine the two or which one is better?

Sorry. Lack of sleep.

Which would be better considering my group?