PDA

View Full Version : Increasing Bard Survivability - Pathfinder

Silus
2012-06-16, 09:38 PM
So I've got this problem. My Pathfinder Society character (A Half-Elf Dawnflower Dervish Bard 2/Urban Barbarian 1) is very, very squishy. I've got 25 HP, 18 AC (20 when Raging) and I tend to drop more than most other players.

I've currently got ~1900 gold (Blew 3713g on a partial payment for a Raise Dead this last game after taking a 30-something Greataxe Crit to the face in a surprise round), and I'm looking for items to extend my survivability.

Any suggestions for gear would be greatly appreciated.

Kamai
2012-06-16, 10:50 PM
Are potions of reduce person realistic? It would bump your AC to 21-22, without affecting your damage(1d6->1d4+1), and making you more accurate to boot. Without really knowing what you can grab other than what the primer says, it's a bit tough, and 1900 gp is not much to get anything permanent. If you can get a hold of scrolls of False life (and actually UMD them), the 3 hour timeframe can give you temporary durability without having to take in-combat turns. Mirror image might also be very nice, but you lose the turn.

Maybe someone who knows the items can advise better, but that's where I'd start.

Silus
2012-06-16, 11:39 PM
Are potions of reduce person realistic? It would bump your AC to 21-22, without affecting your damage(1d6->1d4+1), and making you more accurate to boot. Without really knowing what you can grab other than what the primer says, it's a bit tough, and 1900 gp is not much to get anything permanent. If you can get a hold of scrolls of False life (and actually UMD them), the 3 hour timeframe can give you temporary durability without having to take in-combat turns. Mirror image might also be very nice, but you lose the turn.

Maybe someone who knows the items can advise better, but that's where I'd start.

Well, as far as I am aware, my Fame score allows me to get items worth up to 3000g from the Core book. So anything in that ballpark would work.

Funny thing, right before the game started, I considered buying a Mithril Chain Shirt and Amulet of Natural Armor +1. Wouldn't have saved vs that crit though ;_;

StreamOfTheSky
2012-06-17, 12:48 AM
Dip Master of Many Styles Monk or Unarmed Fighter to get Crane Wing. First melee hit every round can be auto-negated.

If you dip monk, just be sure to have Dodge already and enter on an odd level. Use your odd level feat on Crane Style (you needed Imp. Unarmed Strike, which the monk level provides) and take Crane Wing as your bonus feat.

If you dip Unarmed Fighter, it can be done whever you like, and you'll get Crane Style and Imp. Unarmed Strike.You'll then still need to get Dodge and will have to wait for BAB +5 to qualify for Crane Wing (that's what's nice about the monk route - you get to ignore pre-reqs on Crane Wing, though not Crane Style - though it also costs you BAB).

Between Crane Style, 3 ranks in Acrobatics, and Crane Wing, Fighting Defensively will net you a -2 to hit for +4 AC and first melee hit being deflected.

Silus
2012-06-17, 12:55 AM
Dip Master of Many Styles Monk or Unarmed Fighter to get Crane Wing. First melee hit every round can be auto-negated.

If you dip monk, just be sure to have Dodge already and enter on an odd level. Use your odd level feat on Crane Style (you needed Imp. Unarmed Strike, which the monk level provides) and take Crane Wing as your bonus feat.

If you dip Unarmed Fighter, it can be done whever you like, and you'll get Crane Style and Imp. Unarmed Strike.You'll then still need to get Dodge and will have to wait for BAB +5 to qualify for Crane Wing (that's what's nice about the monk route - you get to ignore pre-reqs on Crane Wing, though not Crane Style - though it also costs you BAB).

Between Crane Style, 3 ranks in Acrobatics, and Crane Wing, Fighting Defensively will net you a -2 to hit for +4 AC and first melee hit being deflected.

See, here's the thing. Offensive-wise, I've built this to be a Dex-based Scimitar user, and with the level in Barbarian, I can't take levels in Monk due to alignment restrictions.

StreamOfTheSky
2012-06-17, 01:00 AM
So dip Unarmed Fighter? I provided 2 options. You don't even need a dip, the dips just save you 2 feats. Without them, you'd need 4 feats to acquire Crane Wing, and that's pretty a steep price when you're a few levels in and have none of them. Basically a 7-8 level wait.

Silus
2012-06-17, 01:04 AM
So dip Unarmed Fighter? I provided 2 options. You don't even need a dip, the dips just save you 2 feats. Without them, you'd need 4 feats to acquire Crane Wing, and that's pretty a steep price when you're a few levels in and have none of them. Basically a 7-8 level wait.

Well, I could use the HP and BAB...I dunno, I'll look into it. It would just feel...weird to dip into something I'm not gonna get full use out of.

Edit: Ok, properly looked at the archetype, and it seems pretty solid. Figure I'll take two levels of Unarmed Fighter then just go Barbarian for the rest.

Edit 2: Ok, Crane Wing says that you can use the dodge thing if you have one hand free. Does wearing a buckler count as having the hand free? It straps to your forearm and you can normally use weapons while using one (though you have to give up the AC for the round).

hirojinbrodie
2013-11-20, 02:46 AM
There is a wonderful first level bard spell called Windy Escape. It does many things, not the least of which is negate crit damage on one attack. And it is instantaneous. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/w/windy-escape

It should help you if you get in a tough spot.

Spore
2013-11-20, 03:20 AM
Do you guys roll on attributes and HP? Or is your Con that low? Maybe just having a Con belt and taking Toughness as a feat is sufficient.

Bhaakon
2013-11-20, 03:26 AM
There is a wonderful first level bard spell called Windy Escape. It does many things, not the least of which is negate crit damage on one attack. And it is instantaneous. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/w/windy-escape

That spell is called "Windy Escape"?!

What a missed opportunity.