PDA

View Full Version : Diabolical Nonsense Psion?

GutterFace
2012-06-17, 09:07 AM
So here is the idea. as Players/DM's would you allow this?

For a new campaign i want to play a Psion; straight up no Prc's no multi's. level 1

I want to be a level 1 Human Brain in a Jar, Psion.

that's right, the "template" from Libris Mortis.... (well at least a template idea).

also...i cant find any rules on the jar's hardness...which could land me in a funny situation...

talk amongst yourselves!

Malimar
2012-06-17, 10:30 AM
It has no Level Adjustment, making it unsuitable for a PC.

DM would have to assign an LA. The main things it has are a 5th-level spell 3/day, a second 5th level spell 1/day, and a 1st level power (augmented with an extra power point) at will. Also, free rebuking, but without divine spellcasting that's not so useful. Also also, flight and Tiny size and telepathy (which opens up Mindsight immediately). Tough to assign an LA to.

It can't use or manipulate items, except maybe a hat, giving it most of the same problems as a lantern archon, which I desired to play myself, once upon a time.

It also doesn't make a very good chassis for a psion, having 3 HD plus however many LA. Unless you recrunch the abilities to be actual psionics (a la the psionic versions of other monsters), with a bonus PP pool and its SLAs as powers known instead. But even then, I dunno.

Glass has a hardness of 1. I don't know how that interacts with being actually part of a creature -- I don't think parts of creatures ever have hardness, so it might never apply.

AntiTrust
2012-06-17, 10:33 AM
It's in a jar, but I don't think it HAS to be in a jar, in our game we destroyed the jar, but since we weren't in a desert or anything the brain wasn't at risk of drying out anytime soon

GutterFace
2012-06-17, 10:39 AM
ah it looks like the brain is LA off of the race of what the brain came from

god i want to play a flying brain badly now....must make this work!

Malimar
2012-06-17, 11:07 AM
ah it looks like the brain is LA off of the race of what the brain came from

That's not what "LA: --" means. Brain In A Jar is not a template. It is a monster. Its LA is "--", which means "Not suitable for PCs." Assigning an LA to the Brain in a Jar to make it PC-playable would be a homebrew alteration.

Tulya
2012-06-17, 12:43 PM
I'd say the Sylph (MM II + update) is a good benchmark for a playable monstrous race that loses casting progression, and you'd probably be fine with same LA +5 with the ability to manifest as a Telepath equal to Undead Hit Dice + 4 + Psion levels replacing all spell-like abilities. The ability scores are Nil Str, +4 Dex, Nil Con, +6 Int, +2 Wis, +6 Cha. All else as written.

An abbreviated entry for the modified Brain in a Jar would look something like this:

Brain in a Jar
Tiny Undead, 3 HD
Speed: Fly 30 ft. (good)

Blindsight 60 ft.
Darkvision 60 ft.
Madness: (Libris Mortis, p. 91)
Telepathy 100 ft.
Undead Traits
+4 Turn Resistance
Rebuke Undead: As a cleric of HD.

Abilities: Nil Str, +4 Dex, Nil Con, +6 Int, +2 Wis, + 6 Cha
RHD Skills: Bluff, Diplomacy, Knowledge (all, taken individually), Listen, Spot
LA: +5
Advancement: 4-9

Manifests as a Psion of Undead Hit Dice +4, cumulative with Psion levels. Discipline is always Telepath.

Typical powers known:
56 power points, manifester level 7

Level 1:
Conceal Thoughts
Mind Thrust
Psionic Charm
Vigor
Detect Psionics

Level 2:
Read Thoughts
Suggestion
Ego Whip
Share Pain

Level 3:
Dispel Psionics
Telekinetic Force
Telekinetic Thrust
Mental Barrier

Level 4:
Psionic Dominate
Psionic Dimension Door

But you'd probably get a better response if you asked someone to brew up the stats for you in the appropriate forum.

Urpriest
2012-06-17, 12:58 PM
Have you looked at some of the monster classes projects on this board? There's a pretty decent Brain-in-a-Jar class.

Tulya
2012-06-17, 01:18 PM
Have you looked at some of the monster classes projects on this board? There's a pretty decent Brain-in-a-Jar class.

For reference:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8674054&postcount=649

GutterFace
2012-06-17, 02:02 PM
excellent link thank you

GutterFace
2012-06-17, 02:03 PM
excellent link thank you

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-06-17, 02:41 PM
Unbodied (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/unbodied.htm) is a floating brain that can go through walls.