PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Toppling Spell

jaybird
2012-06-17, 11:10 AM
Say I apply it to a max-CL Magic Missile, firing 5 missiles. If I shoot all 5 missiles at one target, do I get 5 trip attempts against it?

Relevant feat here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/toppling-spell-metamagic).

deuxhero
2012-06-17, 11:21 AM
Yes, it does damage. Note that you don't get more than one trip attempt on a target if they take multiple missles.

As long as this isn't in the simple Q&A, there was a thread a bit back on optimizing it. It decided taking Slyvian bloodline for an animal companion was the best choice, as that could be used with Vicious Stomp and Tandem Trip. With traits you can also take one of few that reduces a spell's metamagic cost by 1 and use it from first level.

NeoSeraphi
2012-06-17, 11:23 AM
Yes, it does damage. Note that you don't get more than one trip attempt on a target if they take multiple missles.

As long as this isn't in the simple Q&A, there was a thread a bit back on optimizing it. It decided taking Slyvian bloodline for an animal companion was the best choice, as that could be used with Vicious Stomp and Tandem Trip. With traits you can also take one of few that reduces a spell's metamagic cost by 1 and use it from first level.

Vicious Stomp specifies it only allows the AoO to be an unarmed strike. Animal companions can't take it.

deuxhero
2012-06-17, 11:37 AM
Nothing stops an animal companion with 3 int from taking Improved Unarmed Strike, and nothing stops them from using it. In-fact, IUS is a fairly good feat for animal companions due to the way manufactuered/Unarmed Strikes and natural weapons combine (Make all your manufactured weapon attacks per your BAB, then use all natural weapons that don't have a limb conflict as secondaries. See Centaur as an example.) and both getting bonuses off an Amulet of Mighty Fists.

Monks with natural attacks have been specifically boned because Paizo hates melee, but animals that know kung fu still work.

jaybird
2012-06-17, 02:35 PM

Thanks, that's what I was wondering about. Unfortunate, but ah well.

NeoSeraphi
2012-06-17, 02:58 PM
Nothing stops an animal companion with 3 int from taking Improved Unarmed Strike, and nothing stops them from using it. In-fact, IUS is a fairly good feat for animal companions due to the way manufactuered/Unarmed Strikes and natural weapons combine (Make all your manufactured weapon attacks per your BAB, then use all natural weapons that don't have a limb conflict as secondaries. See Centaur as an example.) and both getting bonuses off an Amulet of Mighty Fists.

Monks with natural attacks have been specifically boned because Paizo hates melee, but animals that know kung fu still work.

Okay fine, but an animal is not proficient with its unarmed strike. The Improved Unarmed Strike feat does not grant proficiency with it either. An animal is proficient with all natural weapons it possesses, but an unarmed strike is treated as a manufactured weapon for everyone but monks.