PDA

View Full Version : Which D&D Locations Have the Most Traction? (Any Edition)

RufusCorvus
2012-06-17, 12:11 PM
Similar to my thread on deities (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239674) a few months back*, I'm curious about which locations in any D&D setting and edition are most popular or your favorites.

*: Note that the thread is not only merely dead, it's really most sincerely dead. No thread necromancy, please.

Kol Korran
2012-06-17, 01:04 PM
hhhmmm, some thoughts:

- Planescape: Sigil- just awesome, though i had very little opportunity to explore it.

- Forgotten Realms: i know of it just a little but i liked Cormyr. a osrt of classical fantasy setting with interesting hostory.

- Eberron: the Mournland probably goes at the top, since it's where anything can happen and where i ran some of my best sessions.

- i also like Droaam a lot (the savagry/ monstrosity trying to become a civilization). one kind of frontier.

- Stormreach in Xen'dric: another kind of frontier.

- Aundair: similar to Cormyr. less history, more politics.

Yora
2012-06-17, 01:13 PM
Number 1 really would be Sigil. Even if you don't know a lot about it, it's extremely complex and absolute unique.

Morph Bark
2012-06-17, 01:17 PM
The best city is obviously Sigil. It is the only place that stays completely intact even when Pun-Pun arises. It's that good.

Other than that, not much yet. While having played in Eberron occassionally, I haven't played all that much in a specific place, though I agree that the frontier-ness of Droaam is attractive, Stormreach looks to be really interesting and Sharn likewise. In the Forgotten Realms there isn't much for me, but Thay comes relatively close.

Kalaska'Agathas
2012-06-17, 02:38 PM
Number 1 really would be Sigil. Even if you don't know a lot about it, it's extremely complex and absolute unique.

You know, I've never found Sigil to be that compelling. The Lady of Pain just seems to invite D(M)eus ex Machina sort of behavior, and the biggest good thing about it seems to be that you can get anywhere from it. It's sort of like Heathrow, JFK, Charles de Gaulle, LAX - great for getting where you want to go, but not really where the adventure happens.

Personally, there is only one city: Sharn. There is a little bit of everything there, and you could run into anything. But it doesn't have a walking plot device overseeing proceedings - there's always a bigger fish, be it an ancient Gold Dragon, the King's Dark Lanterns, agents of the Dreaming Dark, the Order of the Emerald Claw, whatever. There's Goblin BBQ in the Cogs, haute cuisine from every corner of the map in the upper levels, and everything in between. You can run an entire campaign, from level one on into epic, without ever leaving Sharn.

That's why Sharn is the D&D metropolis for me, personally.

The-Mage-King
2012-06-17, 03:02 PM
Number one location?

Acererak's Crypt. All who know of it fear it. All who play it fear it.

Otherwise, probably Sharn or Stormreach. Both are big enough for plenty of hooks, and appropriately placed for non-city adventures to occur.

RufusCorvus
2012-06-18, 02:41 PM
I suppose I'll keep a tally like last time.

Three mentions

Sigil
Sharn
Stormreach

Two mentions

Droaam

One mention

Cormyr
The Mournland
Aundair
Thay
Acererak's Crypt Tomb of Horrors

The-Mage-King
2012-06-18, 02:57 PM
Note that by "Acererak's Crypt", I mean "Tomb of Horrors".

RufusCorvus
2012-06-18, 05:21 PM
Note that by "Acererak's Crypt", I mean "Tomb of Horrors".

Duly noted and revised. I'm just a copyist here.

Eldan
2012-06-18, 06:00 PM
You know, I've never found Sigil to be that compelling. The Lady of Pain just seems to invite D(M)eus ex Machina sort of behavior, and the biggest good thing about it seems to be that you can get anywhere from it. It's sort of like Heathrow, JFK, Charles de Gaulle, LAX - great for getting where you want to go, but not really where the adventure happens.

That was its original purpose, yes. The Planescape setting was quite literally conceived as a way of letting the Realms and Greyhawk (primarily) interact. Other settings come in as well, of course.

The important thing about the Lady of Pain is this: she is not supposed to ever show up in a normal game. At least not in a way that anyone would meaningfully interact with her. The Lady is there to make sure that Sigil can exist. It is, to quote Sandman "Prime Psychic Real Estate". Everyone wants it, but to preserve its function of being the crossroads of the multiverse and a place where low-level characters can safely go, it has to be neutral. The Lady keeps out the Blood War, the gods, the Djinn Sultans, the Archomentals, and whoever else would just take control of it and use it exclusively for their own interests, or turn it into an open battlefield. She does not just swat players for the hell of it.
People have compared Her Serenity to the Sun, and I think the comparison is good. The Sun is there to explain why there is a day and a night, how plants grow and why there is heat and light. Not to burn players with infinity fire damage.

Of course, Sigil grew to be much more than that. I've had dozens of campaigns exlusively in there, and the sects, NPCs and factions provide infinite material.

Blisstake
2012-06-18, 06:08 PM
Eberron: Sharn is really the only one that stood out to me. I love the idea of a city that's taller vertically.

Golarion: Basically any of the cities that were given a 64 page write-up - they were all done so fantastically. If pressed to pick one, I'll go with Kaer Maga.

It's a city that embodies anarchy whose origins predate written history. It's built on the edge of a massive cliff, and filled with unique groups and people such as trolls who read the future by reading their own intestines. It's also got a creepy child god cult, mages who expand their power by overloading themselves with blood, and sinister naga who are crime and merchant overlords. It's freaking amazing.

Callos_DeTerran
2012-06-18, 06:16 PM
City-wise, I've only really liked Sigil because it allowed me the one-off joke of a Harvester devil character who was essentially a diabolic used-car salesman to use baby-oil to slick back his hair (made from real babies!). This could be because I have no real knowledge of the place though, so I'm obviously a bit biased. Now...on the other end of things, I do know quite a fair bit about Sharn and enjoy it quite a bit, but it doesn't take my number one slot, that goes to the Free City of Greyhawk. Partially from it's unique occupants, trials, and tribulations, but mostly from it's prime location next to one of the greatest adventure locations, Castle Greyhawk. Adventuring parties make careers of forays into Castle Greyhawk and returning with the spoils, have for years and there's still a lot of unexplored terrain. Sharn is a close second for being new and innovative, but the Free City of Greyhawk has Castle Greyhawk.

Other then that...The Island of Dread is a personal favorite of mine, as is the Styes, a place so rancid with dirt and pollution that the water is more flammable then the wood. Obviously the named planes/demi-planes have a fair bit of traction, though specific locations on them might not. I'm partial to Gaping Maw for example, but I don't know how many people know that name off the top of their heads.

Eldan
2012-06-19, 01:29 AM
I also quite like Neth, the living Plane. Such a lovely place. Quite literally.

Morph Bark
2012-06-19, 05:54 AM
I also quite like Neth, the living Plane. Such a lovely place. Quite literally.

Such a lovely plane (Such a lovely plane)
Such a lovely game

Killer Angel
2012-06-19, 06:00 AM
Such a lovely plane (Such a lovely plane)
Such a lovely game

That seems more Ravenloft (or Carceri). :smallbiggrin:

That said, another vote for Sigil.

Draz74
2012-06-19, 10:06 AM
OK, there's one obvious answer that hasn't gotten mentioned yet:

The sacrificial altar room (inhabited by lizardfolk) with the giant statue with the giant rubies for eyes. :smallamused:

Tyndmyr
2012-06-19, 12:06 PM
Tomb of Horrors.

Many other things came to mind afterward(Sigil, Sharn, Castle Greyhawk, etc), but none are anywhere so well known as the tomb.

RufusCorvus
2012-06-19, 01:31 PM
I suppose I'll keep a tally like last time.

Five mentions
Sharn
Sigil

Four mentions

Three mentions

Stormreach

Two mentions
Droaam

One mention
Cormyr
The Mournland
Aundair
Thay
Kaer Maga
Free City of Greyhawk
The Island of Dread
Styes
Neth, the Living Plane
Sacrificial Altar Room with the Ruby-Eyed Idol
Castle Greyhawk

Chambers
2012-06-19, 02:33 PM
I'd be hard pressed to rank them among themselves, but my top three are Sharn, Sigil, and Waterdeep.

Sigil is on the list because it's literally the nexus of the multiverse. Hard to beat that.

Sharn is there because it's the most modern of the D&D cities, in a number of interesting ways. Also, manifest zone.

Waterdeep is a personal favorite of mine. The largest city in Toril, it has lots of history and depth to it. You could run an entire campaign there starting with low-level dungeon crawls, then delve into Skullport and Undermountain, then start moving around in the politics of the city at higher levels. Also, giant walking statues.

---

Xendrik gets a honorable mention for never being fully explored. The magic that keeps the continent changing helps keep it mysterious and never fully understood. In a game with powerful divinations and magic it's nice to still have one large area that will always be a journey into the unknown.

Mordokai
2012-06-19, 02:53 PM
Other then that...The Island of Dread is a personal favorite of mine, as is the Styes, a place so rancid with dirt and pollution that the water is more flammable then the wood. Obviously the named planes/demi-planes have a fair bit of traction, though specific locations on them might not. I'm partial to Gaping Maw for example, but I don't know how many people know that name off the top of their heads.

I don't know, I find myself more enthralled by Shendilavri :smallbiggrin:

And as far as pure flavor goes, I love Wells of Darkness the most.

Hendel
2012-06-19, 03:00 PM
I know I am very old school, but I have always set my campaigns to default in the World of Greyhawk. Sure, the players have gone everywhere from Sigil to Waterdeep and back, but Greyhawk was always home.

I like the City of Greyhawk especially and we had many a fun thieves' campaign that took place 100% within the environs of the Jewel of the Flaness.

There were exotic locales like the Sea of Dust and the Land of Black Ice. There were famous spots like the Temple of Elemental Evil, the aforementioned Tomb of Horrors, Saltmarsh, the Steading of the Hill Giant chief, etc...

As a world Greyhawk had it all. I would put it above Toril, Golorian, Eberron, or any of the worlds that have come since in my opinion.

hamlet
2012-06-19, 03:59 PM
The Moathouse of T1. Every game has, or should, explore that ruin at least once in their lives.

INDYSTAR188
2012-06-19, 04:37 PM
For me personally:

-Sharn - I'm literally about to take my characters from Cormyr through a portal and into Sharn

-Waterdeep

-The City of Brass

-Silverymoon

I regret that I have never played (in game or on PC) in Sigil or Greyhawk. Forgotten Realms is my setting of choice but Sharn is the coolest metropolis, imho.

Hendel
2012-06-19, 04:38 PM
The Moathouse of T1. Every game has, or should, explore that ruin at least once in their lives.

We often kept Homlett as our home base for the entire campaign. Other characters would come and visit retired characters there as well. The moathouse has to be one of my favorite starting adventures as well.

RufusCorvus
2012-06-20, 12:38 PM
Seven mentions
Sharn

Six mentions

Sigil

Five mentions

Four mentions

Three mentions

Stormreach

Two mentions
Droaam
Free City of Greyhawk
The T1 Moathouse
Waterdeep

One mention
Cormyr
The Mournland
Aundair
Thay
Kaer Maga
The Island of Dread
Styes
Neth, the Living Plane
Castle Greyhawk
The Gaping Maw
Xendrik
Shendilavri
The Wells of Darkness
Sea of Dust
Land of Black Ice
Temple of Elemental Evil
Saltmarsh
Steading of the Hill Giant Chief
Hommlet
The City of Brass
Silverymoon

Tyndmyr
2012-06-20, 01:26 PM
We often kept Homlett as our home base for the entire campaign. Other characters would come and visit retired characters there as well. The moathouse has to be one of my favorite starting adventures as well.

Oh yes. I have to make a mention of Hommlett as well. It's quite epic.

Siosilvar
2012-06-20, 01:31 PM
OK, there's one obvious answer that hasn't gotten mentioned yet:

The sacrificial altar room (inhabited by lizardfolk) with the giant statue with the giant rubies for eyes. :smallamused:

Also known as the AD&D PHB cover (and the 3.5 PHBII cover, and numerous other homages over the years)? That's got to be the one most iconic image in D&D.

Draz74
2012-06-20, 04:11 PM
Also known as the AD&D PHB cover (and the 3.5 PHBII cover, and numerous other homages over the years)? That's got to be the one most iconic image in D&D.

Ding ding ding! Siosilvar wins! :smallbiggrin:

Although I suppose I should also throw in votes for Sigil and Icewind Dale.

RufusCorvus
2012-06-21, 02:07 PM
Seven mentions
Sharn
Sigil

Six mentions

Five mentions

Four mentions

Three mentions

Stormreach

Two mentions
Droaam
Free City of Greyhawk
The T1 Moathouse
Waterdeep
Hommlet

One mention
Cormyr
The Mournland
Aundair
Thay
Kaer Maga
The Island of Dread
Styes
Neth, the Living Plane
Castle Greyhawk
The Gaping Maw
Xendrik
Shendilavri
The Wells of Darkness
Sea of Dust
Land of Black Ice
Temple of Elemental Evil
Saltmarsh
The City of Brass
Silverymoon
Icewind Dale

Callos_DeTerran
2012-06-23, 11:51 PM
I don't know, I find myself more enthralled by Shendilavri :smallbiggrin:

And as far as pure flavor goes, I love Wells of Darkness the most.

Both very cool, agreed. :smallsmile:

Personally though, I feel a campaign that spends too much time on Shendilavri is going to get you some odd looks since there's only so many 'normal' ways to get into fights there and politics would be...um...'different'. xD It definitely makes for a memorable visit, but I can't see long portions of a campaign taking place there.

Wells of Darkness are also pretty bad ass, just for what they are and what they could mean for a game but...as is, without a massive jailbreak that gives the Wells a Worf Effect for their status of a premeire prison in the multiverse, it doesn't seem like there would be many adventure chances there.

Gaping Maw though...aquatic and land-based encounters, a varied selection of creatures to use, it connects to the Abyssal Ocean and Shadowsea (so you can have an entirely nautical based campaign, but it still has some civilization and, of course...Demogorgon's forces. An entire campaign could be made of attacking his fortress....Or maybe I'm just partial to primeval jungles full of forgotten abominations and ancient beasts. :smallbiggrin: With mandatory natives (angry and/or fan-servicey optional).

Grail
2012-06-24, 12:39 AM
The Barony of Gulluvia from Palace of the Silver Princess
Acheron, the Infinite Battlefield
Anauroch from the Forgotten Realms

Mnemnosyne
2012-06-24, 01:40 AM
Waterdeep is a personal favorite of mine. The largest city in Toril, it has lots of history and depth to it. You could run an entire campaign there starting with low-level dungeon crawls, then delve into Skullport and Undermountain, then start moving around in the politics of the city at higher levels. Also, giant walking statues.
Waterdeep is not, in fact, the largest city in Toril. I believe but am not completely certain that Golden Huzuz, City of Delights, capital of Zakhara, the Land of Fate, is the largest of all Toril's cities (800,000 citizens). Other cities larger than Waterdeep (122,000) include Calimport (212,000) and Athkatla (425,000). All numbers do not, to my knowledge, include trade traffic, which can more than double any of these numbers during the right season.

As to the OP's question: Sigil is definitely the most memorable place that springs to mind when I try to think of any individual location in D&D settings.

RufusCorvus
2012-06-24, 04:04 PM
Eight mentions
Sigil

Seven mentions
Sharn

Six mentions

Five mentions

Four mentions

Three mentions

Stormreach

Two mentions
Droaam
Free City of Greyhawk
The T1 Moathouse
Waterdeep
Hommlet
Shendilavri
The Wells of Darkness
The Gaping Maw

One mention
Cormyr
The Mournland
Aundair
Thay
Kaer Maga
The Island of Dread
Styes
Neth, the Living Plane
Castle Greyhawk
Xendrik
Sea of Dust
Land of Black Ice
Temple of Elemental Evil
Saltmarsh
The City of Brass
Silverymoon
Icewind Dale
Abyssal Ocean
Shadowsea
The Barony of Gulluvia
Acheron
Anauroch

Shadow Lord
2012-06-24, 04:20 PM
I gotta give it to Sharn; it's just a wonderful place, and I love to game in it.

dobu
2012-06-24, 04:53 PM
Sigil is just that awesome.

Not mentioned yet: Ptolus.

Tanuki Tales
2012-06-24, 06:39 PM
Waterdeep is a personal favorite of mine. The largest city in Toril,

Hate to cut in, but I thought Calimport was larger than Waterdeep. Or was that only in Second Edition?

Endarire
2012-06-24, 11:53 PM
From Eberron: I like Io'Lokar, from Dragons of Eberron.

It doesn't make much sense (if they have the epic power, why don't they use it?) but I like its parallels to Shangri-La. Learning of it is a feat. Getting there is another. Being allowed in is a third. It's a reward city.

From a mechanical standpoint, the Otyugh Hole (aka 'O Hole'). Seems like every optimized character nowadays takes a dip in one for Iron Will.

On a similar note, the wondrous locations in general. You may never visit there during play, but PCs have ways of deriving their benefits through backstory or otherwise.

RufusCorvus
2012-06-26, 12:54 PM
Nine mentions
Sigil

Eight mentions
Sharn

Seven mentions

Six mentions

Five mentions

Four mentions

Three mentions

Stormreach

Two mentions
Droaam
Free City of Greyhawk
The T1 Moathouse
Waterdeep
Hommlet
Shendilavri
The Wells of Darkness
The Gaping Maw

One mention
Cormyr
The Mournland
Aundair
Thay
Kaer Maga
The Island of Dread
Styes
Neth, the Living Plane
Castle Greyhawk
Xendrik
Sea of Dust
Land of Black Ice
Temple of Elemental Evil
Saltmarsh
The City of Brass
Silverymoon
Icewind Dale
Abyssal Ocean
Shadowsea
The Barony of Gulluvia
Acheron
Anauroch
Ptolus
Io'Lokar
Otyugh Hole

Tyndmyr
2012-06-26, 01:06 PM
T1 Moathouse and hommet are part of the temple of elemental evil/RttToEE setting. So, they really should be combined with the ToEE vote as one location. You're not likely to see many people who have visited only one of those.

RufusCorvus
2012-06-26, 01:12 PM
I know they're all part of the same adventure, but this is about specific locations people like, not the adventures they are attached to.

For example, I like the Temple of Elemental Evil, but I think Hommlet is incredibly boring.

Morph Bark
2012-06-26, 02:49 PM
From a mechanical standpoint, the Otyugh Hole (aka 'O Hole'). Seems like every optimized character nowadays takes a dip in one for Iron Will.

Would that make Iron Will as a free feat "treasure type O"? :smallamused:

Kalaska'Agathas
2012-06-26, 10:37 PM
Would that make Iron Will as a free feat "treasure type O"? :smallamused:

Given what lives in the Otyugh Hole, I sincerely hope not.