PDA

View Full Version : 2nd level Wizardly ideas

Fyermind
2012-06-17, 03:55 PM
I create a lot of level 1 characters. I am really used to ignoring everything with LA, so when my DM said we are starting a campaign at level 2 I thought "This is my chance!" Then I found out consensus wants me to play a wizard.

My DM approved this: Focussed Diviner 1 Great Wyrm White Dragonspawn Dragonwrought Loredrake Spellhording Riddled Kobold And said it works the way you would hope it does.

With +11 int and an affliction for riddles and magic I am looking forward to some very fun roleplaying and monster smashing times.

What should I do with my second level? I don't need to cast as a level 4 wizard, so loosing a caster level is survivable. Dragon Magazine and all published WotC material is available, homebrew is not, as is white dragonspawn because of dragonwrought.

It isn't that Diviner 2 seems bad to me, I just want to eek as much out of starting at level 2 as I can.

TL;DR What are some good +1 LA templates for a wizard (Diviner) or some interesting directions to take my character.

Arcanist
2012-06-17, 04:21 PM
I create a lot of level 1 characters. I am really used to ignoring everything with LA, so when my DM said we are starting a campaign at level 2 I thought "This is my chance!" Then I found out consensus wants me to play a wizard.

My DM approved this: Focussed Diviner 1 Great Wyrm White Dragonspawn Dragonwrought Loredrake Spellhording Riddled Kobold And said it works the way you would hope it does.

With +11 int and an affliction for riddles and magic I am looking forward to some very fun roleplaying and monster smashing times.

What should I do with my second level? I don't need to cast as a level 4 wizard, so loosing a caster level is survivable. Dragon Magazine and all published WotC material is available, homebrew is not, as is white dragonspawn because of dragonwrought.

It isn't that Diviner 2 seems bad to me, I just want to eek as much out of starting at level 2 as I can.

TL;DR What are some good +1 LA templates for a wizard (Diviner) or some interesting directions to take my character.

White Dragonspawn has a LA of +1 :smallconfused: (Dragonlance Campaign setting)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-06-17, 04:38 PM
The Dragonspawn template, white or otherwise, is incompatible with Dragonwrought Kobolds. Dragonspawn cannot be added to creatures of the dragon type, and Dragonwrought kobolds are obvious from the appearance of their eggs before they've even hatched. There's absolutely no opportunity to gain Dragonspawn before you're Dragonwrought. If your DM has already approved it, then he's probably ignorant of this. White Dragonspawn is indeed +1 LA.

Use Marital Wizard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizard) to get Improved Initiative, since you already get Scribe Scroll for free from Spellhoarding. I'd ditch Diviner and go Conjurer, with the Abrupt Jaunt ACF (PH2) for even better survivability. Future levels should be in Battle Sorcerer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererVariantBattleS orcerer) combined with the Stalwart Sorcerer variant (CM), since Spellhoarding retroactively converts that gimped Sorcerer spellcasting to Wizard casting of equal level. Prestige out as soon as possible.

Get the Draconic Rite of Passage (RotD) for Charm Person so you can dip Mindbender with Enchantment prohibited, and pick up Mindsight (LoM). Take Draconic Reserve for the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererVariantBattleS orcerer), which gives you +1 level of Sorcerer spellcasting which again gets converted to Wizard casting.

Arcanist
2012-06-17, 04:40 PM
The Dragonspawn template, white or otherwise, is incompatible with Dragonwrought Kobolds. Dragonspawn cannot be added to creatures of the dragon type, and Dragonwrought kobolds are obvious from the appearance of their eggs before they've even hatched. There's absolutely no opportunity to gain Dragonspawn before you're Dragonwrought. If your DM has already approved it, then he's probably ignorant of this. White Dragonspawn is indeed +1 LA.

Use Marital Wizard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizard) to get Improved Initiative, since you already get Scribe Scroll for free from Spellhoarding. I'd ditch Diviner and go Conjurer, with the Abrupt Jaunt ACF (PH2) for even better survivability. Future levels should be in Battle Sorcerer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererVariantBattleS orcerer) combined with the Stalwart Sorcerer variant (CM), since Spellhoarding retroactively converts that gimped Sorcerer spellcasting to Wizard casting of equal level.

This so many times :smallamused:

kardar233
2012-06-17, 04:48 PM
Use Marital Wizard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizard)

I didn't know there was an ACF exclusively for married Wizards.

Unfortunately there are very few ways around the 8 Spellcraft rank requirement for Ultimate Magus (which include things like Illithid Savant, Inspire Greatness+PsyRef, etc. but you might be able to swing a Bloodline). That would be optimal for fastest progression.

Slipperychicken
2012-06-17, 07:18 PM
I didn't know there was an ACF exclusively for married Wizards.

Marital Spirit (from Tomb of Battle) on a Rouge is also a pretty bad choice :smalltongue: Reminds me of when my brother played a City of Heroes character for about 3 years before realizing he misspelled the word Rogue. He was so mad :smallbiggrin:

Fyermind
2012-06-17, 09:53 PM
Stalwart Battle Sorcerer is totally in.

As noted in my opening post, my DM has ruled white dragonspawn incompatible with dragonwrought and therefor all the cheese of loredrake, riddled, and spellhoarding.

I am sticking with diviner instead of conjurer because: 1 diviners are pretty cool too. The lost spell slot from riddled is a divination only slot, but the gained spell slots from the bonus int aren't. I can keep more schools (and therefor more options) as a diviner.

I am not sure about keeping my familiar... What can I trade it away for as a diviner?