PDA

View Full Version : Factotum questions

Soranar
2012-06-17, 05:17 PM
I was rereading the class recently (to answer someone else's question) and i realized I wasn't so certain about several class features

1rst

Spell selection: you choose your spells (which are SLA) from the sorcerer/wizard list.

Does that mean I choose my spells from both (sorcerer or wizard, meaning I have access to sorcerer only spells) or that the spells must be available to both for me to pick them?

2nd

Cunning surge

Spend 3 inspiration points to gain an extra standard action during your turn... The way the sentence is worded is vague enough for me to wonder if you can do it more than once a turn or not, opinions?

3rd

Cunning breach

Like above, the ability is worded rather vaguely. It says you bypass a creature's SR completely. But does it only work for your spell like abilities or does it work for wands you use too?

Finally, Jaronk's tier system assume an average amount of optimization but (while looking at the Factotum closely) a lot of it's abilities could be considered a nuke (tier 2) and could potentially break a campaign. Do you think an optimized Factotum can reach tier 2?

Waker
2012-06-17, 05:31 PM
1. It's a bit unclear, but I would assume that any spell available to both Sorcerers and Wizards. If it's available only to one, it wouldn't be viable for a Factotum. That's just a guess on my part though.
2. If you have enough Inspiration Points, you can take multiple standard actions.
3. It doesn't specify what kind of attack you use, it simply ignores SR and DR.

The class is nice, but it's severe limitation on spells/day would put it out of Tier 2 range.

Slipperychicken
2012-06-17, 07:35 PM
1. It specifies Sorc/Wiz list, which is clear and distinct. Sorcerer-only spells are not on the Sorc/Wiz list. If there are Wizard-only spells somewhere, they are not on the Sorc/Wiz list. Strangely, one of the Factotum handbooks recommends using Primal Senses (Dragon Magic), a Sorcerer-only spell, so while RAW is pretty clear, it might be good to look into that.

2. It works that way. Casters aren't the only ones who can ruin the action economy. This is why you take four Font of Inspirations :smallamused:

3. Doesn't specify your spells, so you just ignore it. I'm pretty sure wands and scrolls are considered to be cast by you anyway. This one is another reason Factotum is such an awesome Gestalt with Wizard: it lets you tell SR to shut up and sit down while you win. Screw Golems; you're a Factotum!

I'm pretty sure the Tier system says that Tier 3s might have one or two gamebreaking tricks, but you really have to work, and have system mastery to get them.

sonofzeal
2012-06-17, 10:30 PM
1) Ambiguous. Ask your DM. Most likely it's meant to be the general Sor/Wiz list.

2) By RAW you can do it as long as you have the IP. Some groups houserule this fairly quickly though; limiting it to once per turn is fair.

3) Yes, you can use wands.

The Tier System generally acknowledges that optimization or lack thereof can raise or lower things by a tier. A well-optimized Factotum may indeed reach T2 status (DCFS for FoI leading to CS abuse). But generally speaking, the limit on IP and very few spells per day means their nova potential is strictly limited.

They're brutal in Gestalt though. Definitely one of the best Gestalt classes in the game.

Theroc
2012-06-17, 10:41 PM
1. It specifies Sorc/Wiz list, which is clear and distinct. Sorcerer-only spells are not on the Sorc/Wiz list. If there are Wizard-only spells somewhere, they are not on the Sorc/Wiz list. Strangely, one of the Factotum handbooks recommends using Primal Senses (Dragon Magic), a Sorcerer-only spell, so while RAW is pretty clear, it might be good to look into that.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mnemonicEnhancer.htm

That's a Wizard only spell that shows up in the D20SRD under the 'Wiz/Sorc' spell-list.

Granted, that might not count for squat since the link itself just says, "Wiz4" so it is just placed in the wiz/sorc list for ease of location.