PDA

View Full Version : Building a Wizard's Staff

Elric VIII
2012-06-17, 07:58 PM
A Wizard with a staff is pretty iconic. The thing is, staves in this game are so cost-inefficient that they do not deserve a spot in the Wizard's arsenal (I also hate expensive consumables).

I was thinking it would be cool to create a Wizard's staff out of a quarterstaff enchanted with passive weapon enhancements (taking advantage of the fact that it is effectively two weapons that can be held in one hand).

I would also want some sort of bauble (slotless wonderous item) on the top. You know the kind:
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/images/AUTOIMAGES/UC1386Wlg.jpg

I played a character that did something like this once (although he mostly focused on Armor buffs) and here are some of the things I used:

Eager: +2 initiative to owner.
Skillful: gain med BAB.
Smoking: 20% miss chance, thwarts True Sight.
Spellblade: Counters/absorbs a chosen spell, you may redirect it later.
Warning: +5 initiative when held.

What other passive weapon enhancements exist?

What object might make a good headpiece for the staff?

Are there any staff-like items that do something like this and/or are not spell trigger/charged items?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-06-17, 08:02 PM
Well there are Runestaves (Introduced in the MiC IIRC) which let's you cast spells on the runestaff from your own slots though they might be restricted to once a day per spell or somethign like that. And AFAIK you can enchant a normal staff as a weapon (the staff of power mentions it is also a +2 quarterstaff, so I think a Runestaff could also be enchanted like that).

Elric VIII
2012-06-17, 08:15 PM
Well there are Runestaves (Introduced in the MiC IIRC) which let's you cast spells on the runestaff from your own slots though they might be restricted to once a day per spell or somethign like that. And AFAIK you can enchant a normal staff as a weapon (the staff of power mentions it is also a +2 quarterstaff, so I think a Runestaff could also be enchanted like that).

For some reason I had always assumed Runestaves were for spontaneous casters only. I had never actually red the section because I prefer Vancian magic more. This is a really useful item (and you are correct, it says that they appear as a normal staff). Thanks for this find.

Now, in the creating custom staves section it gives you some formulae for determining price based on spells. Can you further increase the magical powers of a runestaff in the same way you can turn a +1 weapon into a +2 weapon?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-06-17, 08:18 PM
Frankly I don't know, I have never messed up with the custom item creation guidelines other than adding things like +2 dex to gloves of the master strategist. But I assume you would as by my reading you are just upgrading a magic quarterstaff, the fact that it has other abilties is just a coincidence.

As for Runestaff being for Sorcerers I am pretty sure that they are indeed intended for sorc use; but I don't recall any kind of limitation on their use, so a Wizard can indeed use them.

golem1972
2012-06-17, 09:23 PM
Don't forget to build a wand chamber into each end.

A slotless hand of the mage as a topper would be neat.

Vizzerdrix
2012-06-18, 04:41 AM
I remember one of the Dragon Mags having a feat chain that would pimp out a wizards staff. Don't remember what one though...

Andorax
2012-06-18, 12:59 PM
I do. Dragon 338, Staff of the Magi issue.

Basic concepts:

Give up your familiar to imbue your staff with an equivalent portion of your power.

Gains benefits as you level (similar to how a familiar does).

Sets up a whole feat chain that can add other offensive, defensive, or nifty benefits.

While it doesn't make it into a "craft staff" spellstick outright, if you DO take that feat down the road and further enchant it accordingly, one of the feats actually allows you to subsequently recharge the staff using your leftover spells.

Overall, I like the approach you're taking with the "passive" abilities you've put in the staff. If I could suggest the obvious, perhaps also add Spell Storing?

As for your 'bauble' suggestion...why do I keep thinking that a "cage" at the end of the staff would be an interesting place to store an ioun stone (instead of having it orbit) and still take effect as long as it is in hand?

Another thought: See the Magic Item Compention re: Weapon Augment Crystals. If the staff is a weapon, that makes it eligible to have an augment crystal attached as well. Adamant Weaponry, Greater Illumination, Security, or Revelation could be interesting additions.

rweird
2012-06-19, 10:01 AM
Take Item Familiar. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm) Make it be your staff. Invest everything you can in it. Use you're wizard powers so it is never stolen, become even stronger and advance faster. Give it a lot of enchantments that benefit wizards.

supermonkeyjoe
2012-06-19, 10:05 AM
I always like utilizing the rules for alternate spellbooks in compete arcane IIRC a medium sized quarterstaff can have something like 7 pages worth of spells etched into it.

herrhauptmann
2012-06-19, 11:47 AM
I do. Dragon 338, Staff of the Magi issue.

Overall, I like the approach you're taking with the "passive" abilities you've put in the staff. If I could suggest the obvious, perhaps also add Spell Storing?

Spellblade? So it bats the harmful spell right back at your enemy?

Another thought: See the Magic Item Compention re: Weapon Augment Crystals. If the staff is a weapon, that makes it eligible to have an augment crystal attached as well. Adamant Weaponry, Greater Illumination, Security, or Revelation could be interesting additions.
Revelation would be neat, but I don't think you're going to be going up and hitting an invisible/concealed guy with your staff. You're a wizard, cast a spell at him!
Illumination is the gandalf choice (as stated).
Arcane steel might be good for a gish type that wants to pretend it's a straight wizard.
Least/lesser return. Obvious reasons.
Crystal of security. Useful against grapple/disarm monsters. Especially if you've got a wand chamber loaded with something effective against those enemies.
Lesser demolition for the hilarity factor only I think. Got to get through the locked and barred castle gate? Break it down with your staff even more quickly than the paladin with his holy avenger. (Disintegrate would be faster still...)

Take Item Familiar. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm) Make it be your staff. Invest everything you can in it. Use you're wizard powers so it is never stolen, become even stronger and advance faster. Give it a lot of enchantments that benefit wizards.

Combine the item familiar with that dragon mag stuff? :smalleek: Might be a little much.
edit: Not that it would be a bad thing...

rweird
2012-06-19, 01:13 PM
I don't know what Dragon Magazine stuff you are talking about, I mean invest skill ranks, life force, spells, etc. in it and pull out all the stops on item familiar. Though if they are compatible, by all means, add them on.