PDA

View Full Version : Poisonmaking and minor creation, am I missing something?

Soranar
2012-06-17, 08:35 PM
Just about every text I see that mentions poisonmaking refers to minor creation + black lotus extract.

In theory this looks fine but it's specified that whatever you create only exists for a few minutes or hours (depending on your level and the spell or power that you're using).

And crafting a poison takes a long time (several days, weeks) if I understood the rules right

So I'd just like an explanation as to why that combo is assumed to work

Urpriest
2012-06-17, 08:40 PM
Psionic Minor Creation is permanent for plant matter.

Alleine
2012-06-17, 08:58 PM
I'm pretty sure the point of things like Minor Creation is that it doesn't take days or weeks, what with the casting time of 1 minute. The duration of the poison also doesn't really matter as long as it lasts long enough for you to use it.

The only real issue is you'll probably need the crafting skill to back it up since poison probably counts 'complex'.

Soranar
2012-06-17, 09:03 PM

Ok, that explains it.

sreservoir
2012-06-17, 09:10 PM

... it isn't. it's 1 hour/level. mind, it's ridiculously cheap at 1 pp for a cubic foot per level for an hour per level, but that's hardly permanent.

(and hey, pathfinder shapers can manifest it pretty much at will.)

you might need to combine it with fabricate (or, well, the psionic version -- which, too, comes online earlier and cheaper than the arcane version).

no, what you really want is to summon djinn (off the SM7 or SNA7 list -- or, better, cast it off SNA6 with a ring of the beast, which at 8000 gp is rather cheaper than, say, +1 greater metamagic rods if you use SNA a lot). and then use that plant matter.

Mithril Leaf
2012-06-17, 09:12 PM
Ahem. My time to shine.

You see, minor creation does NOT create the raw ingredients of the poison. It creates the finished poison itself, the craft check is so that you shape the finished product. In this way, it is almost as if it contained a fabricate which worked only on material which it summoned. At no point do you sit down and make the poison. It is part and parcel of the power to fabricate it during manifestion/casting.

You create a nonmagical, unattended object of nonliving, vegetable matter. The volume of the item created cannot exceed 1 cubic foot per caster level. You must succeed on an appropriate skill check to make a complex item

Poison is a complex item.

From the other thread, this one seems better.

And I'm afraid I'm going to have to go against myself here and say you are wrong Ur-Priest. I wish I played in that world, but alas, it isn't so. Duration of psionic minor creation is same as standard, one hour per manifester level.

Pyromancer999
2012-06-17, 09:24 PM
Yes, as long as you've got the Craft ranks to back it up, you can make Black Lotus extract as well as any other plant-based poison.

However, unless a poison is slow-acting, the duration of the minor creation spell does not matter much.