PDA

View Full Version : Can an undead take a feat with a con prerequsite

Annos
2012-06-17, 09:31 PM
in the draconomicon their are metabreath feats, these feats almost all require a con of over 15, an undead not having a con at all can not have a con higher or lower. So considering this can... let's say a Drocolich take a Metabreath feat.:smallconfused:

Kuulvheysoon
2012-06-17, 09:39 PM
You answered your own question, friend.

If you lack the prerequisites for a feat, you cannot take said feat.

Invader
2012-06-17, 09:40 PM
If the feat calls for a minimum con score and you don't have a con score at all, no you wouldn't be able to take the feat.

Annos
2012-06-17, 09:54 PM
After I read the undead can infact run indefinitly because of not having a con, I decided to rethink the prerequsite thing... thanks for clearing it up... but if any new information comes across I will post it here.

Fyermind
2012-06-17, 09:55 PM
What happens if a dragon with a metabreath feat takes the dracolich template?

Invader
2012-06-17, 09:58 PM

Page 87 PHB.

"A character can't use a feat if he or she has lost a prerequisite".

Kuulvheysoon
2012-06-17, 10:02 PM

Feats
Prerequisites

Some feats have prerequisites. Your character must have the indicated ability score, class feature, feat, skill, base attack bonus, or other quality designated in order to select or use that feat. A character can gain a feat at the same level at which he or she gains the prerequisite.

A character can’t use a feat if he or she has lost a prerequisite.

This answer your question, friend?

Canarr
2012-06-18, 10:17 AM
It could in PF. A quote from PF's rules for the Undead creature type:

No Constitution score. Undead use their Charisma score in place of their Constitution score when calculating hit points, Fortitude saves, and any special ability that relies on Constitution(such as when calculating a breath weapon’s DC).

I'd be inclined to argue that feats requiring a certain Con score qualify as "special ability that relies on Constitution".

Bahamut Omega
2012-06-18, 11:45 AM
The Pathfinder exception aside, the lack of a Con score means they don't have the pre-req for the feat.

This is also true for some special abilities. For example, to have the Regeneration ability, you must have a Con score. Therefore, undead can have fast healing, but not regeneration.

I assume these limits don't apply for abominations, because I'm not sure why the Atropal has regeneration considering that limit exists.

Zombulian
2012-06-18, 11:56 AM
You could do some... Favors for your DM and get them to allow you to use your Cha score in the place of Con. Even in my non-PF games I allow that to work for things that would make sense. Aren't the rules that the save DC for their breath effects is based on Cha when they become undead?

Psyren
2012-06-18, 01:15 PM
You could do some... Favors for your DM and get them to allow you to use your Cha score in the place of Con. Even in my non-PF games I allow that to work for things that would make sense. Aren't the rules that the save DC for their breath effects is based on Cha when they become undead?

Yes; though it isn't RAW, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to extend this to metabreath feats as well.

There are other instances in D&D of swapping Cha for Con uses on an undead creature, e.g. Incarnum.

Zombulian
2012-06-18, 01:40 PM
Yes; though it isn't RAW, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to extend this to metabreath feats as well.

There are other instances in D&D of swapping Cha for Con uses on an undead creature, e.g. Incarnum.

Yea I was gonna reference Incarnum, but to some that system is almost as alien as PF.

sreservoir
2012-06-18, 02:26 PM
After I read the undead can infact run indefinitly because of not having a con, I decided to rethink the prerequsite thing... thanks for clearing it up... but if any new information comes across I will post it here.

qualifications aren't calculations. since you're not calculating anything for the prerequisite, you don't meet the prerequisite.