PDA

View Full Version : Wild Shape and Swallow Whole

Dire Panda
2012-06-17, 10:10 PM
So let's suppose a druid Wild Shapes into a tyrannosaurus or some other creature with the Swallow Whole ability, successfully swallows a foe, then resumes her humanoid form after the poor sap dies. What happens to the body?

This is unfortunately relevant in one of my campaigns, since the BBEG inscribes an Arcane Mark and casts extended Status on each of his agents before he sends them into the field. Should they happen to die, he uses a modified Instant Summons (9th level, higher weight limit) to retrieve the corpse for revival and questioning - it's technically an object and counts as a valid target. There's usually a short delay before he notices, though, so the druid had time to turn back into a half-elf before the villain cast his spell. She also wants to know if people she eats in wild shape count as nutrition for her humanoid form - friggin' penny-pincher has hundreds of thousands of gold pieces yet wants to save on rations.

So far the possibilities seem to be:

The body remains in her humanoid stomach; maybe it expands into higher dimensions to accommodate it. She digests it over weeks or months.
The body disappears with the rest of the extra mass a T-Rex has. It's irretrievable and the villain needs a True Rez for his agent.
As above, but she's also treated as having had a day's food (more or less what a human would be for an ordinary tyrannosaurus).
She vomits the body as she shrinks back into humanoid form.

Right now I'm leaning towards #1, if only because feeling the body disappear will be a convenient hook for tracking down the BBEG's body-retrieval scheme. Has this issue come up in anyone else's campaign, and how did you deal with it?

Mnemnosyne
2012-06-18, 12:28 AM
I'd go with option 2 or 3. There's certainly no mention of vomiting the contents of your stomach in any shapechanging spells or abilities that I can think of offhand, for instance. Neither is there any indication that you can avoid eating and drinking for weeks or months by eating something larger than your own body when you're shapeshifted into something large, which is what the logical result would be under option 1.

So the most reasonable resolution is that when you shapeshift to a smaller form, anything you ate in a large form just goes away like all the other extra mass.

It should be noted that regardless of the ruling on what happens to the body, instant summons wouldn't work without far more modification than just weight limit. There's not much question that being inside someone's stomach is most certainly "in the possession of another creature" which completely prevents Instant Summons from working at all.