PDA

View Full Version : A New Base Class: The Cardcaptor

Getsugaru
2012-06-17, 10:18 PM
WARNING: Please post in this thread, as there is so much that I'm posting for this, it wouldn't fit into the original post count I used (and that's saying something, since the normal limit is something like 50000 characters), forcing me to make an Organized List Thread. Thanks for understanding! Organized List Thread is HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15579554)!

So I've been looking all over this forum and a few others, and it seems like nobody has made a Cardcaptor Sakura class system. To solve this, I propose my own which I've been working on for a while. Please tell me what you think.

So without further adieu, I give you, The Cardcaptor.

NOTE: Clow is pronounced "Crow."

Note: This is still a work in progress. I am still making the spell list for the class, the rest of the class features, the skill list, and the attribute specialization. Any help would be appreciated.

Changelog:7/10/13: Added abilities to The Shield, the Lock, the Power, the Jump.
7/9/2013: Added New Class Features.
7/8/2013: Reposted in new "Organized List" Thread. Added Clow abilities and Sakura Abilities for the Illusion and the Flower. Converted original thread into Discussion thread. Added Clow abilities for the Song and the Voice.
3/27/2013: Back again. Added Stat block for The Sword. Added note about pronunciation of the word "Clow." Added Clow abilities and stat blocks to Windy, Watery, Earthy, & Firey.
10/14/2012: I'm back baby! MAJOR UPDATE!!! Added a description for every card. Now working on Stat blocks.
7/2/2012: MAJOR UPDATE!!! Added multiple cards info to the Card Section.
6/20/2012: Edited Card activation under Bird Sealing Wand;
6/18/2012: Relocated costume descriptions to 3rd post; added Tomoyo Daidōji to Character section, Sakura Kinomoto; Updated Class abilities, etc.; Added Feats section to third post; Alpha Spell List Posted
6/17/2012: 1st post; 2nd post; 3rd post.

Getsugaru
2012-06-17, 10:29 PM
You can post now, if you want...:smallwink:

Please, no trolling...:smallfrown:

DiBastet
2012-06-17, 11:50 PM
When you do special thongs, one must wear special clothes.

Emphasys mine.

While I understand that the series as a clamp series was (softly) into almost every kind of perversion that's common, and while the mistype was fairly amusing considering that, I think you should correct this.

Getsugaru
2012-06-18, 12:26 AM
Emphasys mine.

While I understand that the series as a clamp series was (softly) into almost every kind of perversion that's common, and while the mistype was fairly amusing considering that, I think you should correct this.

:smalleek:Oh My gosh, that's a big mistake...

Thank you for telling me about that. I've changed it. Talk about an embarrassing typo...:smalleek:

Getsugaru
2012-06-18, 12:50 PM
1st Update. See Changelog for more information... :smallsmile:

drew2u
2012-06-18, 01:58 PM
what are the cards' powers?

Getsugaru
2012-06-18, 03:40 PM
what are the cards' powers?

Though I am working on the powers, I need to find a way to both put in and separate paragraphs in a table. If anyone knows how to do that, I'd be grateful for the know-how to do it...

To give you a bit of a sampling of what I've got, here's two cards which, while unfinished, do have basic stats for both powers and active forms.

The Dash:
Stat Block: same as cat with a few differences: Higher base land speed, Card Powers(ex), etc.

Clow Power: Can cast Expeditious Retreat on Cardcaptor who uses card at will, does not stack...

Sakura Power: Still working on it, either Mass version, MUCH higher speed boost, or maybe both...

The Sweet:
Stat Block: Basically the same as Pixie with a few differences: no sleep arrows, Card Powers(ex), etc.

Clow Power: Create Food and Water at will...

Sakura Power: Can cast Heroes' Feast once per day.

What do you think?

Getsugaru
2012-06-18, 08:18 PM
I'm currently Working on a Spell List for this class, and have made the Alpha List. I plan to cut out many of them, but before I do, I thought I should ask you what you think. Please note that some of the spells on the list are just there to help me remember the abilities of some of the cards, so if you see a spell that looks like it's just a restatement of a Card's Effect, don't worry about it.

Anyways, here's the Alpha List.
Arcane:
0-lvl: Prestidigitation; Read Magic; Dancing Lights; Daze; Flare; Ghost Sound; Know Direction: Light; Lullaby; Mage Hand; Mending; Open/Close; Resistance; Acid Splash; Detect Poison; Daze; Ray of Frost; Disrupt Undead; Touch of Fatigue; Message; Arcane Mark; Minor Disguise; Stick; Caltrops; Electric Jolt; Sonic Snap; Silent Portal; Launch Bolt; Launch Item; Repair Minor Damage;
1st-lvl: Focusing Chant; Enlarge Person; Nerveskitter; Ray of Clumsiness; Expeditious Retreat; Reduce Person; Feather Fall; Guided Shot; Sniper's Shot; True Casting; True Shot; Karmic Aura; Ray of Enfeeblement; Silent Image; Color Spray; Lesser Orb of Fire/Cold/Acid/Electricity;
2nd-lvl: Bear's Endurence; Bull's Strength; Cat's Grace; Eagle's Splendir; Fox's Cunning; Owl's Wisdom; Quick Potion; Jaws of Moray; Levitate; Rope Trick; Heroics; Knock; Heart of Air; Balancing Lorecall; Chain of Eyes; Detect Thoughts; Spymaster's Coin; Know Vulnerabilities; Arcane Turmoil; Seeking Ray; Bigsby's Warding Hand; Frost Breath; Gust of Wind; Ray of Ice; Slapping Hand; Scorching Ray; Force Ladder; False Life; Ray of Weakness; Stolen Breath; Ray of Stupidity; Invisibility; Blinding Color Surge; Mirror Image;
3rd-lvl: Magic Circle against Evil/Good/Chaos/Law; Alter Fortune; Primal Senses; Mage's Armor, Greater; Haste; Slow; Fly; Celestial Aspect; Shrink Item; Heart of Water; Battlemagic Perception; Unluck; Scrying; Listening Coin; Anticipate Teleportation; Karmic Backlash; Disobedience; Great Thunderclap; Manyjaws; Blacklight; Ray of the Python; Prismatic Mist; Ray of Exhaustion; Curse of Impeding Blades, Mass; Halt Undead; Ray of Dizziness; Phantasmal Strangler; Vertigo Field; Invisibility Sphere;
4th-lvl: Celerity; Assay Spell Resistance; Wings of Flurry; Vortex of Teeth; Evard's Black Tentacles; Orb of Fire/Acid/Cold/Electricity/Force; Displacer Form; Heart of Earth; Perfect Summons; Voice of the Dragon; Spell Enhancer; Arcane Eye; Identify Transgressor?; Legend Lore; Dimensional Anchor; Wall of Evil/Good/Chaos/Law; Ice Storm; Crushing Grip; Otiluke's Resilient Sphere; Defenestrating Sphere; Enervattion; Fear; Burning Blood; Greater Mirror Image; Shadow Conjuration; Shadow Well; Greater Invisibility;
5th-lvl: Arcane Fusion; Undying Vigor of the Dragonlords; Draconic Polymorph; Telekinesis; Lord of the Sky; Greater Enlerge Person; Lightning Leap; Heart of Fire; Airy Water; Zone of Peace; Draconic Flight; Prying Eyes; Scry Location; Refusal; Spell Theft; Wall of Force; Channelled Sonic Blast; Sending; Spiritwall; Magic Jar; Channelled Lifetheft; Opalescent Glare; Contagion, Mass; Fleshshiver; Ray of Entropy; Shadow Evocation; Friend or Foe; Persistant Image; Permanent Image; Shadow Walk;
6th-lvl: Contingency; True Sight; Mental Pinnacle; Brilliant Blade; Scalding Mud; Eye of Stone; Eyes of the Oracle; Hindsight; Greater Scrying; Resistance, Superior; Antimagic Field; Dispel Magic, Greater; Anticipate Teleportation, Greater; Howling Chain; Greater Heroism; Freezing Glance;

Divine:
0-lvl: Cure Minor Wounds; Dancing Lights; Detect Poison; Guidance; Inflict Minor Wounds; Light; Mending; Purify Food and Drink; Resistance; Virtue; Flare; Know Direction; Read Magic; Amanuensis; Dawn; Naturewatch;
1st-lvl: Sanctuary; Shillelagh; Calm Animals; Lay of the Land; Wieldskill;
2nd-lvl: Bear's Endurence; Bull's Strength; Cat's Grace; Eagle's Splendor; Owl's Wisdom; Ghost Touch Armor; Heart of Air; Divine Insight; Find Traps; Guidance of the Avatar; Hunter's Eye; Listening Lorecall; Share Husk; Wild Instinct;
3rd-lvl: Magic Circle against Evil/Good/Chaos/Law; Magic Vestment; Clutch of Orcus; Know Vulnerabilities; Sonorus Hum; Venomfire; Primal Senses; Icelance; Commune with Lesser Spirit; Know Opponent;
4th-lvl: Assay Spell Resistance; Divine Power; Panacea; Mass Shield of Faith; Sheltered Vitality; Flame Strike; Vortex of Teeth; Heart of Earth; Blast of Sand; Boreal Winds; Primal Speed; Break Enchantment; Wall of Thorns; Telepathic Aura; Greater Status
5th-lvl: Surge of Fortune; Rightous Might; True Seeing; Rightous Wrath of the Faithful; Triadspell; Heart of Fire; Owl's Insight; Heal; Find the Path; Commune;
6th-lvl: Word of Recall; Superior Resistance; Stone Body; Spiritual Guardian; Enveloping Cocoon; Spellstaff; Tortise Shell; Stone Tell;

So, what do you think?

P.S. Why only to level 6? Because I'm thinking of changing casting to Bard-like, rather than Sorcerer-like. Do you agree?

AuraTwilight
2012-06-18, 10:03 PM
Hey Lestro! I just registered so I could respond on this thread! I love what you're doing so far.

Your card effect example seem good so far. As for the spell list, I'm not ENTIRELY sold on the 6th level spell cap. Both because there's Cards that arguably go over it, and because Sakura was meant to be the most powerful magician in the Clamp Multiverse after succeeding Clow Reed (and given that dude has Wish as a spell-like ability, WOAH).

Then again, I understand the need for spell balance. But if you're going to put a cap on the spell levels instead of allowing 9th level spells, I would put the cap at 8th level. Minimum.

But that's just me.

Also, fun fact. You're actually not the first person on this board to attempt a Cardcaptor class, though yours is more detailed. kwanzaabot posted a build in 2008. It's here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82150)

Getsugaru
2012-06-18, 10:09 PM
Hey Lestro! I just registered so I could respond on this thread! I love what you're doing so far.

Your card effect example seem good so far. As for the spell list, I'm not ENTIRELY sold on the 6th level spell cap. Both because there's Cards that arguably go over it, and because Sakura was meant to be the most powerful magician in the Clamp Multiverse after succeeding Clow Reed (and given that dude has Wish as a spell-like ability, WOAH).

Then again, I understand the need for spell balance. But if you're going to put a cap on the spell levels instead of allowing 9th level spells, I would put the cap at 8th level. Minimum.

But that's just me.

Also, fun fact. You're actually not the first person on this board to attempt a Cardcaptor class, though yours is more detailed. kwanzaabot posted a build in 2008. It's here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82150)

Thank you for the compliment and welcome to the playground; "you'll like it here."

Also, thank you for showing me this; before posting this, I tried to find another Cardcaptor class, but couldn't find any. Thanks for finding what I could not.

AuraTwilight
2012-06-18, 10:13 PM
Hehe, you're welcome. And though I just registered, I've been lurking for years! You can pat yourself on the back, it means I find your current project to be top tier intriguing!

Hopefully that link helps serve as a guide or contrast in future edits. I can't wait for this to be complete and playable!

Getsugaru
2012-06-18, 10:28 PM
Anyways, what do you think of the spells on the Alpha List, AuraTwilight?

AuraTwilight
2012-06-18, 10:33 PM
I don't see any that I'd cut. I notice there is many more arcane spells than there are divine spells. I understand that a lot of these are actually card effects or otherwise be cut, in the final product I'd try to keep the Arcane:Divine ratio as close to 1:1 as you possibly can, given the fluff about how intertwined they are in the entire class.

Getsugaru
2012-06-18, 10:41 PM
I don't see any that I'd cut. I notice there is many more arcane spells than there are divine spells. I understand that a lot of these are actually card effects or otherwise be cut, in the final product I'd try to keep the Arcane:Divine ratio as close to 1:1 as you possibly can, given the fluff about how intertwined they are in the entire class.

Agreed. That's something I've been aiming for from the beginning. I'm also working on a Character Flaw called Fear of Ghosts, which the stat block for Sakura will most certainly have.

Also, what do you think about adding an ability that enables the spell Shillelagh to apply to their Sealing Wand (I just updated again to include what type of equipment each Sealing Wand is; the Bird and Star versions both count as clubs, while the Guardian, being 3 meters long, counts as a quarterstaff)?

AuraTwilight
2012-06-18, 11:59 PM
I don't see why not, but it sounds like a pretty weak bonus in comparison to just using the Sword card.

Getsugaru
2012-06-19, 12:46 AM
I don't see why not, but it sounds like a pretty weak bonus in comparison to just using the Sword card.

While that may be true, allow me to respond with the following:

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/ccs/images/e/e9/Sakura_vs_The_Fight.png

:smallamused:

Owrtho
2012-06-19, 06:31 AM
Though I am working on the powers, I need to find a way to both put in and separate paragraphs in a table. If anyone knows how to do that, I'd be grateful for the know-how to do it...

To put line breaks in a table, use the code [br]. I would however note that there is an error with the code for the forums which causes it to change to <br> any time the post is edited or previewed before posting, requiring that they be changed back each time (as the <br> does not convert to a line break).

Anyway, I like the look of the class in general so far. I would however be interested in seeing a version that is less made to follow the events of the manga/show instead just being a character that draws on the power of the Clow Cards like a member of this class (though such a version can wait till the current one is completed along with the cards).

Owrtho

Getsugaru
2012-06-19, 10:50 AM
To put line breaks in a table, use the code [br]. I would however note that there is an error with the code for the forums which causes it to change to <br> any time the post is edited or previewed before posting, requiring that they be changed back each time (as the <br> does not convert to a line break).

Anyway, I like the look of the class in general so far. I would however be interested in seeing a version that is less made to follow the events of the manga/show instead just being a character that draws on the power of the Clow Cards like a member of this class (though such a version can wait till the current one is completed along with the cards).

Owrtho

Thank you so much! This will enable me to rapidly increase the rate at which this is made. :smallsmile:

Do you have any objections to the spell list in its Alpha form, and what do you think the highest spell level should be?

Please note that this class is supposed to be Tier 1 (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5293).

AuraTwilight
2012-06-19, 12:57 PM
If Tier 1 is the goal, then why are you limiting the spell list at all? Instead of limiting it on a scale basis, I'd do so on a fluff basis, like "Cardcaptors cannot cast Necromancy or Raise Dead-type spells" or something.

Getsugaru
2012-06-20, 07:40 PM
Updated.

Also, what do you guys think of me adding an artifact to the mix?

Here is a picture, it's called the Headdress of the Madoushi:
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/ccs/images/9/91/Madoushi%27s_Headdress.png

AuraTwilight
2012-06-20, 09:46 PM
Personally, I'd rather you focused on making the class complete and playable before getting sidtracked by statblocking NPCs, artifacts, and the like.

If you had to do an artifact though, I would recommend Kaho Mizuki's Moon Bell, since it was created by Clow Reed to serve a vital plot function in the Final Judgment and whatnot.

Getsugaru
2012-07-02, 03:53 PM
MAJOR UPDATE!!!!! YAY!!!!!:smallbiggrin:

I've added card info for multiple cards, and am proud to announce that The Big, The Little, and The Dash are almost complete, with The Dash being the closest.

Advice needed for specific cards...only cards that don't need this are The Firey, The Watery, The Windy, The Earthy, The Sweet, The Nothing, The Nameless, The Hope, The Jump, The Sword, The Shield, and The Fly. All other cards are in need of assistance. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

AuraTwilight
2012-07-02, 09:56 PM
Yay, an update! I was starting to get worried for this project! Alright, lemme take a crack at this.

The Shadow should be easy enough. There's plenty of Shadow powers in D&D you can slap on, and you could even perhaps have Shadow Walking at a Sakura power...or perhaps have the Sakura power be something like combining with or assisting Illusion...

...With Illusion being self explanatory, and it's Sakura powers being (with Shadow's help or not) something like Shadow Conjuration and other powers where illusions are "partially real"?

In any case, "Greatest Desire" should be a Clow ability for Illusion, where it projects what the target most desires and wants, even if the Cardcaptor doesn't know what it is.

Float...I'm thinking Feather Fall, Levitation, and the like.

Song can replicate a Bard's class abilities, like Inspire Courage or something. It creates music through a Ghost Sound effect.

Shot is Magic Missle.

Change = Mind Switch. Maybe Polymorph as a Sakura power?

Voice can be stuff like Magic Mouth.

Lock should be simple enough. Wizard Lock and the like. As a Sakura power, perhaps things like Imprisonment and Freedom?

Create should be simple. The Creation powers, from Minor to True, depending on what you feel appropriate.

Move can have stuff like Mage Hand and Telekinesis.

Maze obviously needs the Maze spell. C'mon now. :D

Through should stress Etherealness, as a way of passing through objects.

Plenty of powers to use for Dream. Perhaps simple Dream spells, and it's Sakura power includes the epic power of Dreamscape?

Light and Darkness should work in tandem, however you plan to use them.

That's my preliminary shot. Is this helpful?

Getsugaru
2012-07-02, 11:11 PM
Yay, an update! I was starting to get worried for this project! Alright, lemme take a crack at this.

The Shadow should be easy enough. There's plenty of Shadow powers in D&D you can slap on, and you could even perhaps have Shadow Walking at a Sakura power...or perhaps have the Sakura power be something like combining with or assisting Illusion...

...With Illusion being self explanatory, and it's Sakura powers being (with Shadow's help or not) something like Shadow Conjuration and other powers where illusions are "partially real"?

In any case, "Greatest Desire" should be a Clow ability for Illusion, where it projects what the target most desires and wants, even if the Cardcaptor doesn't know what it is.

Float...I'm thinking Feather Fall, Levitation, and the like.

Song can replicate a Bard's class abilities, like Inspire Courage or something. It creates music through a Ghost Sound effect.

Shot is Magic Missle.

Change = Mind Switch. Maybe Polymorph as a Sakura power?

Voice can be stuff like Magic Mouth.

Lock should be simple enough. Wizard Lock and the like. As a Sakura power, perhaps things like Imprisonment and Freedom?

Create should be simple. The Creation powers, from Minor to True, depending on what you feel appropriate.

Move can have stuff like Mage Hand and Telekinesis.

Maze obviously needs the Maze spell. C'mon now. :D

Through should stress Etherealness, as a way of passing through objects.

Plenty of powers to use for Dream. Perhaps simple Dream spells, and it's Sakura power includes the epic power of Dreamscape?

Light and Darkness should work in tandem, however you plan to use them.

That's my preliminary shot. Is this helpful?

:smalleek:...

...Extremely.

Also, sorry for not posting in a while. Been very busy with work, etc. I'll try to update more frequently...:smallamused:

AuraTwilight
2012-08-13, 03:33 AM
Bumping this up. C'mon, Lestro. Or anyone. :D

AuraTwilight
2012-08-28, 10:19 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/ct/furryrpghome/Clow_in_D_D.pdf

Found this resource.

LordErebus12
2012-08-28, 10:31 PM
have you looked at the pathfinder class called the Harrower? its a card using class ive stumbled across in the past. might prove interesting...

AuraTwilight
2012-08-28, 11:22 PM
I'm not normally a fan of Pathfinder, but can you tell me where I can find the class?

LordErebus12
2012-08-29, 01:23 AM
I'm not normally a fan of Pathfinder, but can you tell me where I can find the class?

thats sad to hear, i love pathfinder, finding it more balanced overall than 3.5

the problem is unless you allow every module and companion guide and what not, the list to pull from is only 8 Core books (3 bestiaries, 4 Core Books, 1 Race Guide).

PS: please clean up the class post. spaces... paragraph breaks... im dying!!!

Towers, a game played for coin in the gutters and back alleys of cities, uses a Harrow deck to make or break fortunes. Most participants don’t realize that the game of Towers is based off six ancient Varisian philosophies, which the Varisians correspond to six of the towers of Desna’s palace (the seventh tower represents the unknown future—a subject of endless fascination to a harrower). Fortunetellers use the six towers to influence and inspire their meditation, but some forge a strange and wondrous connection to the six principles. Those who learn to channel and wield this power develop amazing abilities tied to the use of a Harrow deck and claim the title of harrower.

A Harrow deck consists of 54 cards divided into six suits of nine cards. The six suits correspond to the six ability scores (hammer for Strength, key for Dexterity, shield for Constitution, book for Intelligence, star for Wisdom, and crown for Charisma). Each card in a suit ties in with one of the nine alignments, corresponding with the location of the symbol on the face of the card. In addition, each card has its own unique name, independent of its suit and alignment.

Even if you do not have access to a Harrow deck, you can still play a harrower by using a d6 and a d10.

Roll 1d6 to determine a card’s suit, as follows: 1—Strength, 2—Constitution, 3—Dexterity, 4—Intelligence, 5—Wisdom, 6—Charisma. The 1d10 determine its alignment, as follows: 1—LG, 2—NG, 3—CG, 4—LN, 5—N, 6—CN, 7—LE, 8—NE, 9—CE.

Reroll results of 10. For most of the harrower’s class features, you need only roll the d6, which allows you to determine how many cards of each suit are drawn for a Harrow casting. Only the blessing of the Harrow and spirit deck class features pay attention to a card’s alignment.

Requirements
To qualify to become a harrower, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Must be chaotic, evil, good, or lawful (cannot be true neutral).
Special: Ability to cast 3rd-level spells. Must be able to cast at least three divination spells.
Special: Must own a Harrow deck.

Class Skills (2 + Int bonus per level): Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (local), Knowledge (the planes), Perform, Profession, Spellcraft.

The Harrower Hit Die: d6

{table=head]{colsp=7}Table: Harrower Prestige Class
Level| BAB | Fort| Reflex |Will| Special| Spells Per Day
1st |+0 |+0 |+0 |+2 |Blessing of the Harrow |—
2nd |+1 |+0 |+0 |+3 |Harrow casting, tower of intelligence |+1 level of spellcasting class
3rd |+1 |+1 |+1 |+3 |Tower of strength |+1 level of spellcasting class
4th |+2 |+1 |+1 |+4 |Tower of charisma |+1 level of spellcasting class
5th |+2 |+1 |+1 |+4 |Spirit deck |+1 level of spellcasting class
6th |+3 |+2 |+2 |+5 |Divination |+1 level of spellcasting class
7th |+3 |+2 |+2 |+5 |Tower of constitution |+1 level of spellcasting class
8th |+4 |+2 |+2 |+6 |Tower of dexterity |+1 level of spellcasting class
9th |+4 |+3 |+3 |+6 |Tower of wisdom |+1 level of spellcasting class
10th |+5 |+3 |+3 |+7 |Reading the signs |+1 level of spellcasting class
[/Table]

Class Features
The following are class features of the harrower prestige class.

Spells: When a harrower gains a level (except for her first harrower level), she gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in a spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefits a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that she adds the level of harrower to the level of whatever other spellcasting class she has.

If the character had more than one spellcasting class before she became a harrower, she must choose to which class she adds each harrower level for the purposes of determining spells per day. As long as the harrower owns a Harrow deck, she gains access to the harrow spell >(Here (http://i.imgur.com/I4eCN.png))<, as if it were on her spell list as a 3rd-level spell (regardless of her spellcasting class). If the harrower prepares spells as a wizard, she prepares the spell from her Harrow deck instead of her spellbook.

Blessing of the Harrow (Ex): The harrower may, once per day, perform a harrowing for herself and all allies within 20 feet of her. This harrowing takes 10 minutes, and allies to be affected by it must remain within 20 feet for the entire time. The harrower interprets the harrowing as normal. At the conclusion of the harrowing, count up suits of cards used in the reading. This harrowing provides a bonus based upon the suit with the most cards showing.

In case of a tie, choose one suit. The bonus lasts for 24 hours. The suits grant morale bonuses as follows. Strength: +1 on attack rolls; Dexterity: +1 to AC; Constitution: +1 on weapon damage rolls; Intelligence: +1 on all skills; Wisdom: +1 on all saving throws; Charisma: +1 on caster level checks. All of these bonuses are insight bonuses.

Harrow Casting (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, the harrower may, as she casts a spell, draw three cards from her Harrow deck. This adds both a somatic component (if the spell does not already have one) and a focus component to the spell, but does not add to the spell’s casting time. Depending on the harrower’s level, the cards she draws might change the parameters of her spell or grant her some other benefit, as described in each tower ability.

The harrower gains all of the different tower abilities available to her. If she draws cards for which she has not yet gained use, those cards provide no benefit. Each card the harrower draws that are exact matches to her alignment count as two cards of the proper suit. A spell may not be affected by both Harrow casting and a metamagic feat. The harrower may use this ability a number of times per day equal to her class level.

Tower of Intelligence (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, whenever the harrower uses her Harrow casting ability, for each card she draws from the suit of Intelligence she gains a +1 insight bonus on caster level checks made to penetrate Spell Resistance.

Tower of Strength (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, whenever the harrower uses her Harrow casting ability to augment a spell that inflicts damage to hit points, the spell deals +1 point of damage per die for each card from the suit of Strength she draws.

Tower of Charisma (Su): Beginning at 4th level, whenever the harrower uses her Harrow casting ability, for each card she draws from the suit of Charisma the save DC of the spell increases by +1.

Spirit Deck (Su): A 5th-level harrower may, as a standard action, summon a shimmering, translucent Harrow deck that flies through the air and engulfs a target within 30 feet in a whirling cloud of knife-edged cards. The harrower then draws a number of Harrow cards equal to her harrower level, and the spirit deck deals damage based on the number of matches she draws.

Each exact match (based on her alignment, as shown on the chart to the right) deals 5 points of damage, each partial match deals 3 points, and each non-matched card deals 1 point, and each opposite match deals 0 points. The harrower may use this ability a number of times per day equal to 1 + her Charisma modifier (minimum 1/day).

Divination (Sp): A 6th-level harrower gains the ability to cast divination once per day as a spell-like ability. Her caster level equals her character level.

Tower of Constitution (Ex): Beginning at 7th level, whenever the harrower uses her Harrow casting ability, for each card from the suit of Constitution, she heals 3 points of damage.

Tower of Dexterity (Su): At 8th level, whenever the harrower uses her Harrow casting ability, for each card she draws from the suit of Dexterity, she gains a +1 insight bonus on Reflex saves and to AC until the beginning of her next turn.

Tower of Wisdom (Su): At 9th level, whenever the harrower uses her Harrow casting ability, for each card she draws from the suit of Wisdom, she increases the spell’s effective caster level by +1.

Reading the Signs (Ex): Whenever a 10th-level harrower draws cards from any deck of cards, she may draw an extra card and choose one to discard. The harrower may not use this ability when performing a harrowing. She may use this ability at will, but she must wait 1d4 rounds between each use.

{table=head]{colsp=3}Table: Matches and Opposites
Alignment | Opposite | Partial Matches
LG |CE |NG, CG, LN, LE
NG |NE |LG, CG, N, NE
CG |LE |LG, NG, CN, CE
LN |CN |N, LG, LE
N |— |—
CN |LN |N, CG, CE
LE |CG |NE, CE, LG, LN
NE |NG |LE, CE, NG, N
CE |LG |LE, NE, CG, CN
[/Table]

LordErebus12
2012-08-29, 01:30 AM
And they have beautiful images for the cards. i really want an actual deck.

AuraTwilight
2012-08-29, 01:11 PM
It's interesting, I suppose, but it doesn't seem like there's anything here that'll assist in capturing the intent of the Cardcaptor class. It doesn't really function like the Harrower in any majorly significant way.

Getsugaru
2012-10-14, 05:21 PM
Bring the thread back from the Abyss of Death...
[10 minutes later]
...Raise Thread!!!

I bring this back to life. I have added a description for every card, and am working on data for the stat blocks for each and every one. As I complete it on my Notepad file (keeps the code from switching to <br />; they need to fix that...), I'll update it here. I'm sorry I took so long to return; I've been very busy with school for the last couple months, which has really bothered me. I'm back now, however, and I'll be updating a lot more often from now on. :smallsmile:

P.S. Long live the Thread Necromancer Prestige Class!!!!!:smallwink:

Getsugaru
2012-10-14, 06:28 PM
PS: please clean up the class post. spaces... paragraph breaks... im dying!!!

What do you mean by "clean it up"? Are you saying I should double-space after each paragraph?

AuraTwilight
2012-10-14, 10:20 PM
Hurray, one of my favorite projects is back!

Of course, the descriptions are technically nothing new, but I can't wait for those juicy, juicy stat blocks and powers!

Getsugaru
2012-10-14, 10:24 PM
Hurray, one of my favorite projects is back!

Of course, the descriptions are technically nothing new, but I can't wait for those juicy, juicy stat blocks and powers!

Again, sorry I took so long. Also, it may not be much, but it is coming along...

Also, would it be too powerful to have the Windy, Watery, Firey, and Earthy count as large Elementals of their respective elements as a Clow power?

jamieth
2012-10-15, 07:56 AM
OK, first of all: congratulations! I am totally into making Cardcaptor in a PF class (granyed, I'm into pretty much any project aiming to increase the presence of Magical Girls in RPGs), and the amount of work alone that went into making this is impressive (I haven't read through the crunch yet, so can't comment on balance and stuff). So, I'm definitely cheering for you.

That said, I hope a bit of critique would be met with understanding.

One thing I personally don't like about this design, is that it isn't really reads as much as a Cardcaptor class, as a Sakura Kinomoto base class. (A requirement for a flower-related name? Seriously? Also, the requirents as to which order cards must be taken in; why exactly is Fiery 5th or 6th level only? In the same vein, Trial of Destiny is a campaign material... not something you build into a class mesh.)

All in all, I think this class sacrifices too much flexibility in trying to stay true to the source material.

(If the above sounds a bit harsh, please understand that was probably caused by English not being my native language. Therefore, I do tend to be somewhat blunt when writing it.)

Oh, and Tomoyo is most definitely a Commoner/Expert with the Eldritch Heritage feat (PF Ultimate Magic.)

AuraTwilight
2012-10-15, 03:33 PM
Also, would it be too powerful to have the Windy, Watery, Firey, and Earthy count as large Elementals of their respective elements as a Clow power?

No, that sounds about appropriate, actually. The four of them are meant to be some of the most powerful cards, and Firey in particular can burn down entire forests in minutes.

One thing I personally don't like about this design, is that it isn't really reads as much as a Cardcaptor class, as a Sakura Kinomoto base class. (A requirement for a flower-related name? Seriously? Also, the requirents as to which order cards must be taken in; why exactly is Fiery 5th or 6th level only? In the same vein, Trial of Destiny is a campaign material... not something you build into a class mesh.)

All in all, I think this class sacrifices too much flexibility in trying to stay true to the source material.

You know, I wasn't paying as much attention to things outside of the cards and class features, but now that I look at it...yea, you're kind of right.

I would still include Trial of Destiny as part of the class, atleast for the time being.

Oh, and Tomoyo is most definitely a Commoner/Expert with the Eldritch Heritage feat (PF Ultimate Magic.)

I think the intent for this class is 3.5, but I otherwise agree.

Getsugaru
2012-10-16, 09:54 PM
...A requirement for a flower-related name? Seriously?

That actually isn't a requirement. What it says is that Cardcaptors' names are often that of a type of flower, not that it is required.

Also, on the Trials, what if I changed it to be a ritual that can be performed at the listed level instead of forcing you to do it right at obtaining the level? I mean, the only reason I require it is because the class is supposed to be based on the canon, by which I mean:

There can only be one master of the Clow Cards
The Clow Cards require their master/mistress's magic to survive
etc, etc, etc.

The critique you gave wasn't mean or harsh in the slightest. I do admit that I'm trying to keep it based off the original story, but I do understand that some things can't be kept exact. Also, this class is for 3.5, but once this version is done, I might end up posting skills for Pathfinder. I'm going to focus on 3.5 for now though...

jamieth
2012-10-17, 12:13 AM
Also, on the Trials, what if I changed it to be a ritual that can be performed at the listed level instead of forcing you to do it right at obtaining the level? I mean, the only reason I require it is because the class is supposed to be based on the canon, by which I mean:

There can only be one master of the Clow Cards
The Clow Cards require their master/mistress's magic to survive
etc, etc, etc.

But even in canon, you don't actually have to be a Clow Reed's Chosen to wield His cards; Shaoran managed to both capture and use them just fine, after all, and he, in my opinion, is a Magus (or, whatever this class was called in 3.5... Duskblade? Spellblade? Don't have the books on me atm... the CCS version, of course. The T:RC Shaoran is probably a Monk.)

AuraTwilight
2012-10-17, 04:16 AM
Shaolin was essentially using the cards as Wondrous Items or Magical Artifacts, though. Sakura is actually demonstrated as having powers beyond that; she's the only one who can actually SEAL the cards regardless of who receives them, she can use them for tarot, she can change their natures...

jamieth
2012-10-17, 04:55 AM
Fair enough, considering that Sakura's very existence is a result of a millennia-spanning magenetic project, and she was explicitely stated to be potentially the most powerful magic-user of all time-space, had she not sacrificed her power to the immortal witch as a payment for fulfilling a wish of someone she never even really met; than again, that, too, was "just as planned". Or, to put it in Yuuko's words, "not a coincidence, but a necessity".
/shutting up before the thread gets derailed into a discussion of CLAMPverse's metaplot.

Getsugaru
2012-10-17, 09:25 AM
Fair enough, considering that Sakura's very existence is a result of a millennia-spanning magenetic project, and she was explicitely stated to be potentially the most powerful magic-user of all time-space, had she not sacrificed her power to the immortal witch as a payment for fulfilling a wish of someone she never even really met; than again, that, too, was "just as planned". Or, to put it in Yuuko's words, "not a coincidence, but a necessity".
/shutting up before the thread gets derailed into a discussion of CLAMPverse's metaplot.

A note on that: I'm following specifically the canon of Cardcaptor Sakura (the japanese version), not the CLAMPverse in general. Also, I've finished The Sword, but GitP won't let me update the main post right now, so I'll do that later, when the server's less busy/problematic.

I'm also going to keep you guys in the loop (no not by the card:smallwink:) from now on by posting what I call the "Next 5 Cards", which will tell you what I'm doing and whether I need help with a specific card.

Next 5 cards:

The Windy
The Watery
The Firey
The Earthy
The Shield

I'll let you guys know how it goes. :smallbiggrin:

Getsugaru
2012-12-12, 06:08 PM
Sorry I haven't posted here in a while. My computer has been having issues for the last month (blue-screening a lot :smallfrown:) and so I haven't been able to work on the Cards for a while. Hopefully, the problem will be solved soon, and I'll be able to resume work on this build. I PROMISE TO SEE THIS THROUGH TO THE END!!!

Razanir
2012-12-12, 06:38 PM
I know it's based on an anime and all, but there are a few things that don't quite work in D&D. Mainly the rule that there can only be 1 cardcaptor of level 11+. There haven't been rules like that since AD&D (maybe 2e, but I've never played 2e). Also, what about more masculine costumes? You know, for the guys that take this class

EDIT: Oh, and you should mention in the OP that Clow is pronounced "crow." I didn't know until I saw the other version of this that was linked to

AuraTwilight
2012-12-16, 08:26 PM
Yea, I totally upvote making the class properly unisex, and really dumping all the stuff that requires the player to be Sakura Kinomoto.

I don't really mind the whole Trial of the Cards thing. Given that there's only a finite number of cards to go around, you really can't have 2 or more fully leveled Cardcaptors anyway.

Razanir
2012-12-16, 08:40 PM
Yea, I totally upvote making the class properly unisex, and really dumping all the stuff that requires the player to be Sakura Kinomoto.

I don't really mind the whole Trial of the Cards thing. Given that there's only a finite number of cards to go around, you really can't have 2 or more fully leveled Cardcaptors anyway.

I get the point that in the anime there were a finite number of cards. The thing is, I, at least, wouldn't want to take levels in the class unless the DM completely reassured me I'd be able to advance above level 10. And even worse– what if two people in the same party wanted to be cardcaptors?

One thing I noticed though– How can the one NPC from the 3rd post be level 20? Wouldn't that mean that by default PCs can only go to level 10 if you use her with the class?

Also, there's a mistake in level 19. You have more cards converted than you have cards

AuraTwilight
2012-12-17, 04:10 AM
Time travel is a thing that Sakura Kinomoto could canonically do, just sayin'.

And yea, the party dynamics thing could be iffy, but like all class choices and set ups, you really should talk to the Gamemaster beforehand anyway. It's not like it'd be difficult to refluff things accordingly; Perhaps two people in the party could both advance to full level and share the deck between themselves, cue romantic or platonic soulmate plot seeds etcetera, or they both equally qualified in the relevant Trial in a way Yue couldn't account for?

IDK. A gamemaster has options. I'd rather focus on getting the crunch on things like the Cards and class features done before worrying about campaign implementation.

jamieth
2012-12-17, 07:30 AM
Time travel is a thing that Sakura Kinomoto could canonically do, just sayin'.
Only as a plot device, though, if memory serves me. Though then again, ANY kind of time traveling should only be done as a plot device, if you desire your game to retain any semblance of making sense. Otherwise, you risk ending up with Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles ending...

Anyway, my stance on this is still, "don't try to fit as many of the CCS plot elements as you can into the class". Not only Trial of Cards, but I also vote for Dress for Success being unneeded. They (costumes), explicitely, are not the part of being a Cardcaptor; if you really want them, go and take Leadership and take a Noble/Expert with craft(tailor) as your cohort :-) (that was the way Sakura gained them, after all)

AuraTwilight
2012-12-17, 03:43 PM
Only as a plot device, though, if memory serves me. Though then again, ANY kind of time traveling should only be done as a plot device, if you desire your game to retain any semblance of making sense. Otherwise, you risk ending up with Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles ending...

By the end of the series Sakura's stronger than Clow Reed and can effectively do anything. Luckily this isn't part of being a Cardcaptor. D:

Anyway, my stance on this is still, "don't try to fit as many of the CCS plot elements as you can into the class". Not only Trial of Cards, but I also vote for Dress for Success being unneeded. They (costumes), explicitely, are not the part of being a Cardcaptor; if you really want them, go and take Leadership and take a Noble/Expert with craft(tailor) as your cohort :-) (that was the way Sakura gained them, after all)

I agree, actually. If someone wants to go ahead and stat out the costumes anyway, go ahead, but it's pretty much a bottom priority for me.

Getsugaru
2013-03-27, 02:31 PM
Sorry I've been gone for so long. My computer broke and I had to get it fixed. Luckily, they were able to retrieve the info on it, so I should be able to start this back up. And I promise, this will be finished.

I know it's based on an anime and all, but there are a few things that don't quite work in D&D. Mainly the rule that there can only be 1 cardcaptor of level 11+. There haven't been rules like that since AD&D (maybe 2e, but I've never played 2e). Also, what about more masculine costumes? You know, for the guys that take this class

I get the point that in the anime there were a finite number of cards. The thing is, I, at least, wouldn't want to take levels in the class unless the DM completely reassured me I'd be able to advance above level 10. And even worse– what if two people in the same party wanted to be cardcaptors?
On the whole "only one of level 11+" thing, that's mostly due to the fact that the Clow Cards are effectively minor artifacts, and that there is only one copy of each card. If your campaign has, for example, two pc's wanting to take more than 10 levels in the class, then you can do it, but it'll probably have to either be a "master and apprentice" sort of thing, or sharing them between the two like AuraTwilight said.

EDIT: Oh, and you should mention in the OP that Clow is pronounced "crow." I didn't know until I saw the other version of this that was linked to
I'll be sure to do that. Thanks. :smallsmile:

I'm currently focused on making the main feature of the class usable: the Clow Cards. Once that's done, I'll go back and make changes like those. :smallsmile:

One thing I noticed though– How can the one NPC from the 3rd post be level 20? Wouldn't that mean that by default PCs can only go to level 10 if you use her with the class?
Sakura is there just as an example, in the case of a DM wanting to show their party the Cardcaptor system. Also, most classes in D&D have an example of someone with the class; can't remember why, but they do. Finally, Sakura can fulfill the role of the mentor, like Clow Reed was for her. In your campaign, you could hae it be that Sakura passes them on to you, etc. Most important of all, by the time Clow Reed had gained this level, he basically could do everything the class could do without the cards. Same thing for Sakura, basically...

Also, there's a mistake in level 19. You have more cards converted than you have cards
Not exactly. If you'd read the class feature of level 19, you end up making your own card, "the nameless," which was never a Clow card to begin with. Therefore, it's less "cards converted" at that level and more "cards that are your own (whether converted or created)." That's also how The Hope works (was the Clow Card "the Nothing," fused with the Nameless and converted to become "The Hope").

Dress for Success was me trying to take advantage of Sakura's many kawaii outfits, combined with my trying to get around the whole "casters can't wear armor" thing. Also, Leadership is dangerously cheesy, and forbidden at most tables, including my own. In fact, I've only seen Leadership allowed once, and that went out-of-control overpowered fast (Leadership+Ring Gates+lots and lots of Wands of Magic Missiles).
I thought the outfits would be a fun addition, partially for game purposes, partly for story purposes, and partially for pointing fingers at the many weird things adventurers wear in a campaign (third arms, robes of eyes, mage hands, astral constructs[ACMA & ACME (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177889)], etc.). That, and my younger cousins, neighbor's kids, etc. are proof enough that kids like to dress up, not to mention fans at events like ComiCon, etc. :smallwink:
As for the Trials, those were (from a game perspective) inspired by the Weapons of Legacy feats; to get those feats, a ritual has to be performed first. If it bothers you guys so much, however, then I guess I can change it to be more like the Jade Phoenix Mage's 6th level ability.

I'm sorry I've been gone for so long; I openly admit that I really dropped the ball, and I humbly ask for your forgiveness. :bow:

AuraTwilight
2013-03-27, 03:07 PM
Well I'm really excited to hear you back. This thread is in my top bookmarks, so as usual, lemme know if you need help on anything!

Getsugaru
2013-03-27, 03:44 PM
Well I'm really excited to hear you back. This thread is in my top bookmarks, so as usual, lemme know if you need help on anything!

Glad to know that my absence hasn't lead to hatred.

Also, Sword is up.

Getsugaru
2013-03-27, 04:32 PM
Windy, Earthy, Firey, and Watery's Clow card abilities and stat blocks are up.

Getsugaru
2013-03-27, 06:40 PM
Anyone know how to stick two tables side-by-side?

Debihuman
2013-03-27, 07:04 PM
i'd say don't bother. It would take up too much room. Just make 2 separate tables.

Also you need to have some lines in between your paragraphs. It's one big wall of text.

Debby

Getsugaru
2013-03-27, 08:52 PM
i'd say don't bother. It would take up too much room. Just make 2 separate tables.

Also you need to have some lines in between your paragraphs. It's one big wall of text.

Debby

That better?

Getsugaru
2013-07-08, 03:33 PM
Sorry that I keep promising to update more frequently, only to disappear for months on end. To rectify this, I'm going to do my best to finish up the Clow Cards, and request assistance with creating the technical effects of certain cards.

Now, with the apology finished, I am proud to announce that I've completed the effect for the Illusion. I've also fixed The Shadow's Clow Card image so that it fits properly. I do need help with the technical side of the Shadow's abilities, and request your help.

Again, sorry for being gone for so long, but this time, I hope to do better.

EDIT: Also just finished the Flower. Would love a second opinion...

EDIT#2: Problem. The Clow Cards are too many characters long. Because of this, and because I need more space anyway, I'm going to make a second thread to store the information, and convert this into a discussion thread. Only idea I had, so unless anyone else has another idea, I'm going to do that in 24 hours unless I hear a better idea.

AuraTwilight
2013-07-08, 06:00 PM
Great to hear from you!

I do need help with the technical side of the Shadow's abilities, and request your help.

It can steal and control shadows, so perhaps it can take someone's shadow and control it ala an Unseen Servant (except totally visible if you've got a light source). I'm sure the Shadowcaster or one of it's homebrew fixes has some a similar idea. Alternatively, they could be (comparatively extremely weak?) Shadow Elementals.

In any case, Shadow is explicitly stated to be Incorporeal. I've no ideas for Sakura powers yet, but it'd probably be best to get all the Clow powers down first anyway.

Illusion looks fine.

EDIT: Also just finished the Flower. Would love a second opinion...

EDIT#2: Problem. The Clow Cards are too many characters long. Because of this, and because I need more space anyway, I'm going to make a second thread to store the information, and convert this into a discussion thread. Only idea I had, so unless anyone else has another idea, I'm going to do that in 24 hours unless I hear a better idea.

I'm fine with that. So did you not post your data for the Flower card? Still looks incomplete where I'm sitting, so I can't review it yet.

Getsugaru
2013-07-08, 06:15 PM
I'm fine with that. So did you not post your data for the Flower card? Still looks incomplete where I'm sitting, so I can't review it yet.

I can't post it. I'm over the character limit by 938 characters, so I can't even post it. I can, however, post just the Flower here right now. The main thing is this: There are two "Plant-Based" cards; the Flower and the Wood. Because of this, I did my best to have the Flower have abilities related to flowers, vines, and other small plants. The Wood, on the other hand, will have more tree-related abilities, and probably will also be an Elemental, like Watery, Windy, etc.

And now, without further adieu, The Flower:
{table]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091108222624/ccs/images/thumb/f/fb/The_flower.jpg/150px-The_flower.jpg|
The Flower[B]Card Type: [B]Personality:[B]Stat Block: [B]Description: Flower's visible form is a young lady wearing a long, poofy pink dress that resembles layered blossoms, white hair with corkscrew pigtails, pink flower bracelets, pink flower earrings and a flower pattern on her forehead and her chest. She wears pink loose pants tied at the ankle and decorated with a flower blossom, and her shoes have flowers on the toes.[B]Clow Powers: Upon calling the Flower, Flower appears and performs a dance. Depending on which dance she performs, one of two effects occur: Her first dance causes flowers to bloom and grow at an exponential rate, as if under a Plant Growth spell. While beautiful, this can cause plants to grow so quickly that they inhibit movement, as the Entangle spell. Her second dance summons plants from nowhere, usually causing them to fall from the sky. This dance is also beautiful, but poses its own risk; by spawning so many flowers from nowhere, visibility is reduced, as if under the effect of a Fog Cloud spell. For both effects, caster level is equal to class level.[B]Sakura Powers: In addition to the Clow Card effects, the Flower can perform a third dance: upon performing this dance, plants all around Flower begin to move and follow the user's commands. This effect takes the form of both an Animate Plants spell and a Control Plants spell. Caster level equal to class level.[B]Card Under: The Earthy[B]DM Notes:|http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110701075322/ccs/images/thumb/6/6f/SakuraFlower.jpg/150px-SakuraFlower.jpg[/table]

AuraTwilight
2013-07-08, 06:38 PM
I approve completely.

Getsugaru
2013-07-08, 07:02 PM
New thread is up. As of now, this thread is a Discussion Thread. YAY! :smallbiggrin:

Getsugaru
2013-07-08, 07:40 PM
Just added the Song's Clow Card power. Go check it out! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15579586#post15579586)

AuraTwilight
2013-07-08, 08:19 PM
Looks good. I would vote that the Sakura power should emulate Bardic music in some way.

Getsugaru
2013-07-08, 08:25 PM
Looks good. I would vote that the Sakura power should emulate Bardic music in some way.

Similar to what I'd been planning. In fact, I was going to have the Voice inflict Silence as Clow, and Debuff Bardic's as Sakura. That way, the two balance out.
What Bardic Musical effects for each do you suggest?

Getsugaru
2013-07-08, 09:42 PM
The Voice has been updated. Take a look! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15579601#post15579601)

Getsugaru
2013-07-08, 10:12 PM
Just looked at the original class, and realized that at several levels, you get no new class abilities! If this was Pathfinder, it'd be a laughing stock! To rectify this, I'm thinking of adding a few more "common" class abilities, like Uncanney Dodge (which you now get at 7th level). Any ideas on what should fill those extra slots?

AuraTwilight
2013-07-08, 10:51 PM
Voice works.

As for the dead levels, isn't that mitigated by the constant inflow of cards (and spells once you start getting them?)

That aside, I'd have to think of what to plug in that'd be appropriately flavorful.

Getsugaru
2013-07-08, 11:08 PM
As for the dead levels, isn't that mitigated by the constant inflow of cards (and spells once you start getting them?)
Sort of... Take a look at the Pathfinder Bard; despite getting magic, at all but 3 levels it gains some form of class ability. As the Cardcaptor is meant to be a Jack-of-all-Trades like the Bard, having at most 3 dead levels can be acceptable, I guess. Also, spellcasting isn't obtained until 11th level, so having dead levels in the single digits is probably not the most balanced of spots...

That aside, I'd have to think of what to plug in that'd be appropriately flavorful.

Unfortunately, there are only two examples of a Cardcaptor in the series: Clow Reed and Sakura Kinomoto. With only the two of them to compare, it is quite difficult to determine what constitutes "flavorful", especially since little is known about Clow Reed himself. That's the reason this class takes so much inspiration from Sakura, such as the 10th level and 20th level "Trials" class features. As for the limit on how many there can be at one time, that's mostly for flavor, with a bit of balance thrown in on the side (it's not the only class out there that has a limit on how many can exist at one time; the Jade Phoenix Mage has a similar, though less extreme, limit). That's why I thought going for some of the more "common" class abilities would be a good idea.

On a side note: I filled in another space by giving one of the class features an upgraded form (9th level: Improved Aura Sense). Hope it's to your liking (inspiration from invocation).

AuraTwilight
2013-07-09, 01:37 PM
Unfortunately, there are only two examples of a Cardcaptor in the series: Clow Reed and Sakura Kinomoto.

Syaoran arguably counts. :P

Improved Aura Sensing definitely makes a lot of sense.

Have you considered comparing your work to the Tome of Radiance, for possible ideas on extra class features?

Getsugaru
2013-07-09, 01:39 PM
Syaoran arguably counts. :P

Improved Aura Sensing definitely makes a lot of sense.

Have you considered comparing your work to the Tome of Radiance, for possible ideas on extra class features?

To tell you the truth, no I hadn't, mostly because I've never heard of it before now. Now looking it over...

EDIT: Okay; with only a quick glance, I've noticed that all the base classes follow a pattern and have a few of the same abilities: Merciful: All of the classes are allowed to inflict non-lethal damage for free with any attack, which makes sense, since most magical girls don't want to kill.
The Power of Friendship: All of the classes have the ability to make enemies into allies more effectively than most official classes. Hello Diplomancer.
Radiant Armaments: All of the classes also have access to a custom outfit and weapon/tool. That strangely sounds familiar...(Dress for Success; Sealing Wand; etc.)

So, by what you've implied, I should give the Cardcaptor Merciful and the Power of Friendship?

AuraTwilight
2013-07-09, 02:48 PM
I definitely think those would help. Though you might need to bump some features up a few levels to keep the class from being so frontloaded if you do that.

Getsugaru
2013-07-09, 03:00 PM
Maybe bump Endurance up to level 8, and gain Merciful at level 3? And I bet that the Power of Friendship would make sense as a level 10 ability ( "I don't want to be your master. I want to be your friend!")...

Okay, that takes care of the single digits, but what about afterwords?

Getsugaru
2013-07-09, 04:03 PM
Just finished the Trial of Oblivion. What do you think?

Also, it seems Selina included a unique benefit for each base class's Power of Friendship. What do you think should be the unique benefit of the Cardcaptor's Power of Friendship?

AuraTwilight
2013-07-09, 07:37 PM
I would go with the Empath's version of the Power of Friendship. Also, 10th level seems a bit late to introduce the ability. I'd push it to, say, level 2. That leaves us with just level 15, 16, and 18 needing new abilities, right?

Getsugaru
2013-07-09, 07:41 PM
I would go with the Empath's version of the Power of Friendship. Also, 10th level seems a bit late to introduce the ability. I'd push it to, say, level 2.
Alright. Plus, level 10 has the advantage of an auto level-up ability, so I guess it already has enough power. :smalltongue:

That leaves us with just level 15, 16, and 18 needing new abilities, right?
Yep. Any ideas?

AuraTwilight
2013-07-09, 08:23 PM
Hm...perhaps instead of giving Endurance at 8th level, we make it and the other dead levels simply draw from a list of bonus feats selected for the class? That would also help mitigate the class's problem of not offering a lot of options for progression.

Getsugaru
2013-07-09, 08:27 PM
Hm...perhaps instead of giving Endurance at 8th level, we make it and the other dead levels simply draw from a list of bonus feats selected for the class? That would also help mitigate the class's problem of not offering a lot of options for progression.

Hmm...I was thinking about getting another feat at 16th level...(!) I've got an idea. How about a bonus feat every 4th level?

AuraTwilight
2013-07-09, 10:33 PM
That could work; you may or may not need to shuffle things around accordingly, but the idea seems solid.

Getsugaru
2013-07-09, 10:37 PM
That could work; you may or may not need to shuffle things around accordingly, but the idea seems solid.

Glad to hear it. And as for the Bonus Feat list, perhaps any Metamagic Feat would be a good start...what about Luck Feats, or something similar?

AuraTwilight
2013-07-09, 11:56 PM
Metamagic might be the way to go. You'll need to point me towards Luck feats before I can judge.

Getsugaru
2013-07-10, 12:02 AM
Complete Scoundrel.

AuraTwilight
2013-07-10, 01:22 AM
Ah, these feats.

...Yea, I'd definitely allow them. Infact, I have half a mind to just offer Luck feats as the bonus feats as opposed to Metamagic, so as not to let the spellcasting overtake the clow cards mechanic.

Getsugaru
2013-07-10, 01:39 AM
Ah, these feats.

...Yea, I'd definitely allow them. Infact, I have half a mind to just offer Luck feats as the bonus feats as opposed to Metamagic, so as not to let the spellcasting overtake the clow cards mechanic.

Main reason why I'm not doing just Luck Feats: Not everyone who has an internet and plays this game with homebrew has access to a copy of Complete Scoundrel. Because of this, I don't want a class feature that is dependent on accessing a resource not everyone has. That's why I also included the Metamagic feats. If you've a suitable replacement, however, I'm still open to suggestions. :smallbiggrin:

AuraTwilight
2013-07-10, 01:43 AM
That's a good point. I'm fine with Metamagic feats also being on the list, it just doesn't strike me as wholly ideal.

But yea, I think either way we've fixed the dead level problem.

Getsugaru
2013-07-10, 01:49 AM
Agreed. Now to get back to the Card's effects.

But before I do, what do you think of the Trial of Oblivion (Remember, the Nothing is basically a Sphere of Annihilation, so completing the trial gives you something really powerful). Also, just to let you know ahead of time, the Hope basically gives you access to the powers of both the Nameless Card and the Nothing, but with a TBD added benefit...

AuraTwilight
2013-07-10, 03:37 AM
It's hard to judge the Trial of Oblivion before all the cards are determined, honestly.

Getsugaru
2013-07-10, 12:41 PM
The Shield is up. Take a look (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15579601#post15579601)!

Getsugaru
2013-07-10, 01:34 PM
The Lock is in place. Go try to unlock it (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15579601#post15579601)!

AuraTwilight
2013-07-10, 02:10 PM
I'm totally down with both of those, good work!

Getsugaru
2013-07-10, 02:14 PM
Currently working on the Power, which is difficult, because I don't want to make her "too strong". Main difficulty is that she can easily lift a full grown elephant, which requires a strength score of 55...

...help...

Getsugaru
2013-07-10, 02:20 PM
The Power's Clow effect is up. Does she pull her own weight (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15579601#post15579601)?

AuraTwilight
2013-07-10, 02:25 PM
That's a bit extreme. I'd say it doubles the modifier at most, or that it adds a circumstantial Strength bonus equal to the cardcaptor's level or something.

Getsugaru
2013-07-10, 02:28 PM
Now do you see the problem. I don't want to make her too weak (Bull's Strength) or too strong (What she currently has), so what do I do?

EDIT: Something I forgot to note is each card is supposed to have a utilitarian purpose, which is why I doubled the Strength score, instead of just the modifier.

AuraTwilight
2013-07-10, 03:41 PM
Mayhaps something like "The character has (n) Strength for the purposes of carrying capacity and STR checks"?

Getsugaru
2013-07-10, 03:44 PM
...Or how about "The Power increases the user's Strength score by 2 times the user's class level"?

AuraTwilight
2013-07-10, 04:04 PM
That might be the best way to go.

Getsugaru
2013-07-10, 04:11 PM
Great. Also, I've made some headway into the Jump, and was wondering if you had an idea about its Sakura card power. Beta version is up (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15579601#post15579601)!

AuraTwilight
2013-07-10, 05:18 PM
That seems about fine. As for the Sakura power...I don't know, a range increase?

Getsugaru
2013-07-10, 05:33 PM
Time is up (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15579615#post15579615)! and here's an explanation of its Sakura Card Power:
The Sakura Card effect of the Time was inspired by a psionic trick invented by Tleilaxu_Ghola. The trick in question is known as the Save Game Trick, and can be found on Kalaska'Agathas's "Brainstorm for Psionic Tricks, Tactics, and Combos Handbook" (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177889). Here's the abstract of the trick. "With this trick one is able to create "save" game points, with a minimal cost of 15 XP for psionic contingency. The trick allows one to adventure for a day and then reload the save game point if something went awry." Basically, the Time is able to enact this trick with a few changes:
You can revert back time any amount up to 24 hours.
Any Spell slots spent remain spent.
There is a chance that you'll remember what happened, in which case you may end up with an unfair advantage.

If this is overpowered, please tell me and help me fix it to be more fair.

AuraTwilight
2013-07-10, 05:55 PM
It's probably OP, but there's really no way for Time to be balanced AND faithful, so....screw it.

Getsugaru
2013-07-10, 06:11 PM
Agreed. Also, let us Return to the thread once again to see the Return's addition (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15579615#post15579615). [/bad_puns] Currently trying to figure out the Sakura ability, with my current idea being the user can see into the past while remaining in the present (so as to know where traps are, etc., etc.[need help with the etc.]), but requires putting strain on the body. Need help!

Getsugaru
2013-07-10, 06:43 PM
Let me Sweet'n the deal. The Sweet is up. Go check it out (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15579586#post15579586)!

AuraTwilight
2013-07-10, 06:58 PM
Sweet is fine. As for Return, I'm not exactly sure where the problem is. You basically want them to see the past while still controlling and moving their body in the present, instead of effectively astral-projecting?

Getsugaru
2013-07-10, 07:05 PM
Yep, only I don't know what other types of benefits seeing the past like that will grant. The Return is said to be as powerful as the Time, so I want to give it a good ability to represent this...

drew2u
2013-07-11, 09:39 AM
Could the Sweet's power grant a +1 morale boost on the food/feast for it being sweet in flavor and not just field rations; maybe lasting for 1 hour or some duration?

Getsugaru
2013-07-11, 12:25 PM
Could the Sweet's power grant a +1 morale boost on the food/feast for it being sweet in flavor and not just field rations; maybe lasting for 1 hour or some duration?

While that may be true, allow me to respond with the following:

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/ccs/images/e/e8/The_Downside_to_Sweet.png

There is such a thing as too sweet. :smallamused:

Getsugaru
2013-07-12, 08:26 PM
Hey guys. Sorry for not adding anything new today; been busy today. Anyways, I've got a problem: The Maze. I started making it yesterday, but have run into the OP problem. As you know, the Maze makes an interdimensional pocket with a maze inside. Now that just screams "Maze", as in the 8th level spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/maze.htm), which is precisely the problem. It would be horribly broken to give a character of 1st-10th level access to an 8th level spell, so...any ideas?

AuraTwilight
2013-07-12, 09:13 PM
Attach a flavorful condition such as how it's weak to basically any other magic, such as blasting down walls being entirely legitimate and effectual?

Getsugaru
2013-07-12, 09:56 PM
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/ccs/images/0/00/Sword_doesn%27t_cut_Maze.pnghttp://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/ccs/images/1/11/Sword_doesn%27t_cut_Maze_part_2.png

AuraTwilight
2013-07-12, 11:56 PM
You're forgetting about Kaho's Moon bell. :P

Getsugaru
2013-07-13, 12:01 AM
You're forgetting about Kaho's Moon bell. :P

That was different. But I do see the point. Magical Weapons that smash or break through the wall would definitely have an effect...

AuraTwilight
2013-07-13, 01:01 AM
I wanna point out I specifically said 'blasting', not 'cutting with the Sword card' :P

Getsugaru
2013-07-13, 01:02 AM
Okay. So what would be an acceptable DC for "breaking your way out"?

AuraTwilight
2013-07-13, 02:57 AM
No idea. ^^; Compare to similar checks is the only advice I can give.

Getsugaru
2013-07-14, 03:18 PM
Get out your fog lamps, cause the Mist has arrived. Check it out (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15579586#post15579586)!

Getsugaru
2013-07-14, 03:39 PM
Better start hiding low down, 'cause the Thunder is here. Go take a look (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15579615#post15579615)!

AuraTwilight
2013-07-14, 03:49 PM
No complaints; proceed.

Getsugaru
2013-07-14, 04:23 PM
Ironicly, I want you to voice your opinions on the Silent. Go check it out (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15579615#post15579615)!

AuraTwilight
2013-07-14, 09:22 PM
The Silent is pretty brilliant.

Getsugaru
2013-07-15, 06:10 PM
With how much rain we've been getting up here lately, I'd have to be MAD to not give the Rain her abilities today. Go play in the rain (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15579601#post15579601)! Also looking for ideas for Sakura Card abilities for Rain. Anyone got any?

Getsugaru
2013-07-15, 07:02 PM
After a long day of driving through the rain to get home from an appointment, I decided that I had to finish at least one card today all the way through. And then (ironically) it hit me: the Through! I'm proud to announce that the Through has slipped through the cracks and is up on the page. Catch it if you can (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15579624#post15579624)!

Getsugaru
2013-07-15, 09:10 PM
Thanks to rewatching the episodes in Japanese, I've discovered a way to fix Time! Limitations on its Sakura Power! Specifically, it can only revert time once a day, which would mean that upon using it, you can't revert time until the exact moment you did it last. Also, it can only revert time the full 24 hours at midnight. Would these two limitations help with balancing it out a bit?

AuraTwilight
2013-07-15, 10:07 PM
That does help Time a lot, yea.

I like The Through a lot. As for the Rain...hm. The Clow power is good; can the Sakura power be progressed to be like...something like a more aggressive storm?

Getsugaru
2013-07-15, 10:28 PM
That does help Time a lot, yea.
Hooray! :smallbiggrin:

I like The Through a lot. As for the Rain...hm. The Clow power is good; can the Sakura power be progressed to be like...something like a more aggressive storm?
Woah, woah, woah; we can't go barging into Storm's territory like that. That would be MAD![/silly] In all seriousness, that is what the Storm does-she makes storms. In fact, as you may have noticed, I purposefully marked the Rain as only being able to make it rain. The Storm, whom I'm currently working on, has a similar ability, with the limitation instead being only the ones with "storm" in their name; thunderstorm, hailstorm, and sleet storms are going to be listed. Then there's the Cloud, who can also do the same, with the limitation being cloud-formations only (to balance this, I'm probably going to cause it to also control winds by extension, along with Fog Cloud at will). Finally, the Snow can control snow (is that a spell?) and has a variant of the control weather, specifically only snowstorms.

...Maybe make the water scalding hot (Line of steam (6d10 fire, DC equal to class level?))?

AuraTwilight
2013-07-15, 11:35 PM
Right, I totally forgot the Storm even existed...been awake for four days straight, forgive me!

Scalding hot rain doesn't really make sense, though...hm. Maybe something like being able to end rains that cause a Pattern/Rainbow effect? Idk.

Getsugaru
2013-07-16, 07:03 PM
Right, I totally forgot the Storm even existed...been awake for four days straight, forgive me!
Okay. You're forgiven. Also, I advise getting some sleep, you insomniac zombie. :smallwink:

Scalding hot rain doesn't really make sense, though...hm. Maybe something like being able to end rains that cause a Pattern/Rainbow effect? Idk.
Well, there is a spell called Prismatic Deluge in Complete Mage, but it's a 9th level spell, so it'd have to be toned down some how...

Also, rainbows are a common effect caused whenever water particles in the air have light shine through them, so the Clow Card effect can already do that...

On another note, the more I watch the anime, the more abilities I rediscover Shadow possesses, increasing the difficulty of statting it out...

Getsugaru
2013-07-17, 01:05 PM
No clever puns this time (can't think of one). Erase is up (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15579615#post15579615).

AuraTwilight
2013-07-17, 01:54 PM
I guess you drew a blank that time. ^_^ *rimshot*

As for Erase, I would make make the Clow power a bit more relaxed, for balance, such as allowing living beings a reroll on their save every <amount of time> to escape. Otherwise you basically have to just fail the first save and then you're utterly screwed save by the mercy of the Cardcaptor.

Getsugaru
2013-07-17, 02:14 PM
Edited. :smalltongue:

AuraTwilight
2013-07-17, 03:00 PM
I'd make the save re-attempts based on the TARGET'S CHA modifier, else the Cardcaptor has an incentive against raising their CHA.

Getsugaru
2013-07-17, 03:28 PM
I'd make the save re-attempts based on the TARGET'S CHA modifier, else the Cardcaptor has an incentive against raising their CHA.

True. Then again, the Cardcaptor's casting, along with most of the Clow Cards, is CHA based, so they already have incentive to raise their CHA. I do see your point, however, and will make another edit to the ability. Also, in light of my desire to complete at least on card fully per day, and as Erase is still undergoing some tweaks to shine as it does in the anime, I'm putting up the Glow as well (I'm back, baby :smallwink:). Give her a look (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15579615#post15579615)!

AuraTwilight
2013-07-17, 03:53 PM
I like it!

Getsugaru
2013-07-18, 03:14 PM
A thought just came to me: what if I gave Song the ability to give its user a +20 on Perform checks involving singing?

AuraTwilight
2013-07-18, 05:14 PM
That makes sense! A bit too specialized to be just one of the card's powers though.

I like the idea of just letting it emulate Bardic Music.

Getsugaru
2013-07-18, 05:44 PM
That makes sense! A bit too specialized to be just one of the card's powers though.
Then how about any perform check? :smallamused:

I like the idea of just letting it emulate Bardic Music.
Only reason I didn't do that: This class is supposed to be a Jack of All Trades, but giving it the specific class abilities of another class (Barbarian's Rage, Bard Music, Clerics Undead Turn/Rebuking, etc.) would enable this class to overshadow the class it's assisting and/or filling in for (That's the only reason I didn't give it Bardic Knack. :smalltongue:). Unless you think that it's necessary to truly represent the concept, or that it would truly allow the class to be a Jack of All Trades, I'm probably not going to give it uncommon class abilities of other classes...

MY thoughts on the Cardcaptor:When I started this class, I pictured it as a very versatile class that could to fill nearly any party role, like Bards or DFAs. That way they'd be excellent for smaller parties and those lacking critical skills. As I built it, I tried to make so that, with a little tweaking, a Cardcaptor could be made to suit any player or role. However, until this class gets playtested, there's no way to know whether or not my hopes were well founded or misguided.

AuraTwilight
2013-07-18, 09:07 PM
Then how about any perform check?

What does the Song have to do with dancing or joke-telling? :P

Only reason I didn't do that: This class is supposed to be a Jack of All Trades, but giving it the specific class abilities of another class (Barbarian's Rage, Bard Music, Clerics Undead Turn/Rebuking, etc.) would enable this class to overshadow the class it's assisting and/or filling in for (That's the only reason I didn't give it Bardic Knack. ). Unless you think that it's necessary to truly represent the concept, or that it would truly allow the class to be a Jack of All Trades, I'm probably not going to give it uncommon class abilities of other classes...

It doesn't have to perform it as well as the class itself; the same way a Paladin's Turn Undead will never be as good as a Cleric's.

also, Factotums are one of the most beloved classes EVER. This entire paragraph's kinda invalid.

When I started this class, I pictured it as a very versatile class that could to fill nearly any party role, like Bards or DFAs. That way they'd be excellent for smaller parties and those lacking critical skills. As I built it, I tried to make so that, with a little tweaking, a Cardcaptor could be made to suit any player or role. However, until this class gets playtested, there's no way to know whether or not my hopes were well founded or misguided.

All the more reason to do the above, then. I promise, promise, promise to play test it once we have it suitably complete; I've been eager to play it since day one.

Getsugaru
2013-07-18, 09:55 PM
What does the Song have to do with dancing or joke-telling? :P

It doesn't have to perform it as well as the class itself; the same way a Paladin's Turn Undead will never be as good as a Cleric's.

also, Factotums are one of the most beloved classes EVER. This entire paragraph's kinda invalid.

All the more reason to do the above, then. I promise, promise, promise to play test it once we have it suitably complete; I've been eager to play it since day one.

Alright, then what do you suggest?

AuraTwilight
2013-07-18, 11:03 PM
Suggest for what, exactly? I've pitched an idea for the Song already, haven't I?

Getsugaru
2013-07-18, 11:06 PM
Well, should it be access to Bardic Music as a Bard of 1/2 your class level, or as your class level - 4 min. 1, etc.?

AuraTwilight
2013-07-19, 12:43 AM
1/2 seems the most elegant.

Taisen
2014-01-09, 09:29 AM
In the game they use the The Flower Card as a healing card and other cards like The Voice, The Song and similar to passively upgrade your stats, and others like the The Dash, The Jump, and Power that do the same while having active abilities. You can take a few ideas from there (if you can get past the Japanese, you'll be able to get the gist of it):

"Card Captor Sakura - Sakura to Fushigi na Clow Card (https://www.google.com/search?q=Card+Captor+Sakura+-+Sakura+to+Fushigi+na+Clow+Card)" for Wonderswan.

There are some game mechanics and battle stats that might prove useful for the cards they use. Here's a D&D class called "Entity Binder (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Entity_Binder_%283.5e_Class%29)" that seems similar to her power.

Getsugaru
2014-01-09, 01:11 PM
In the game they use the The Flower Card as a healing card and other cards like The Voice, The Song and similar to passively upgrade your stats, and others like the The Dash, The Jump, and Power that do the same while having active abilities. You can take a few ideas from there (if you can get past the Japanese, you'll be able to get the gist of it):

"Card Captor Sakura - Sakura to Fushigi na Clow Card (https://www.google.com/search?q=Card+Captor+Sakura+-+Sakura+to+Fushigi+na+Clow+Card)" for Wonderswan.

There are some game mechanics and battle stats that might prove useful for the cards they use. Here's a D&D class called "Entity Binder (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Entity_Binder_%283.5e_Class%29)" that seems similar to her power.

And what about powers like Li has?

That may be a good place to look for some of the cards; thank you for the tip. It wasn't the only game made based off the show, though, and I haven't played any of them sadly. Still, I'll give it a look.

Sorry to all for my terrible posting schedule on this. Every time I seem to get an opening and start picking up where I left off, a Deus Ex Machina seems to get involved and pull me away. Luckily, this semester I've got fewer classes (albeit harder classes), so I really should have time to work on this again (finally). I'll try not to abandon you all again. I already know I've got some people willing to PEACH it, so for your sake, mine, and theirs, I should really get the Alpha version complete once and for all. The main difficulty I've been facing (when working on it) is finding mechanics that truly represent the card while neither making it too powerful nor useless (or, heaven forbid, both). Nevertheless, I made a promise to finish this enough for testing, so I best finish it enough for testing! Back to work with me! :smallbiggrin:

Taisen
2014-01-13, 10:41 PM
Clow Cards in D&D 3.5 (http://www.angelfire.com/ct/furryrpghome/Clow_in_D_D.pdf)

I'd make some changes though; like having the Wave summon a Tidal Wave. It's something I found through google.

AuraTwilight
2014-01-14, 03:03 AM
Oh this is a lovely resource though, thank you Taisen!

Getsugaru
2014-01-20, 06:41 PM
I'll give it a read; looks like there might be some useful stuff.

Getsugaru
2014-05-07, 02:47 PM
Sorry I have been away so long. Have returned and updated the tables. Only problem, now all the card images in the tables are wonky. Going to try and fix that.

GrayGriffin
2014-05-08, 12:35 PM
Oh man, I loved this show as a kid. Even got myself a toy version of the wand. Still kind of want to find one of those decks of full-sized imitation Clow cards. *sigh*

Everything looks good so far, although I really want to see the stat blocks for the various characters as well. Also for some reason Power's stat block description makes me laugh so hard.

Getsugaru
2014-10-30, 01:00 PM
And again, I return from a long period of no edits. I really am sorry that I keep doing this. I am now re-watching the entire series (Japanese version, of course), including the movies, and will do each in the order that I arrive at it. And to put my (non-existent) money where my mouth is, I will be posting the cards here for discussion before adding them to the list; that way people can give me their opinion of the card before I plop it in (the text file for the cards themselves is very big; big enough to warrant 4 posts in a thread to avoid text limiters!). To start, here is...

The Shadow
"Shadow can touch us, but we can't touch it."
-Cerberus
Card Type:
Personality:
Stat Block: Same as Unseen Servant, but with fly speed of 30 ft and a Strength score of 10+(2*Darkness level). Size bonuses are applied.
Description: Shadow looks like a cloaked figure in a black cloak and hood resembling the Grim Reaper. So it can be surmised that it is a male card.
Clow Powers: When activated, Shadow can take up one of two roles: Offensive or Support. When Offensive, Shadow manifests itself for 2 rounds per class level. Shadow will then manipulate any existing shadows around the target with the intent to bind them in place; depending on the light level in the area, it receives a bonus to the grapple check(s). In areas of bright light (such as a Daylight spell), the shadows in the area are too thin, resulting in a -5 to grapple checks; areas of partial shade grant a +2 to grapple checks, dim light grants a +5 to grapple checks, and areas of supernatural darkness (such as a Darkness spell) grant a +10 to grapple checks. When Supportive, Shadow merges with the user's shadow, allowing it to interact with the world. Anywhere the user's shadow stretches, Shadow projects a special Unseen Servant; unlike a normal Unseen Servant, the user's shadow can do anything the user themselves can, so long as it doesn't require sound. However, as the shadow mimics the user's movements, the user must perform the action. Shadow can only possess the user's shadow for 2 rounds per class level before returning to card form.
Sakura Powers:
Card Under: The Light
DM Notes:

What do you think?

AuraTwilight
2014-10-30, 06:21 PM
I like it! What's "-Cerberus" all about?

Getsugaru
2014-10-30, 06:33 PM
It was a quote from Kero-chan. Traditionally, after a quote you put a -[name]. At least, they do that a lot in the 3.5 books. :smalltongue:

AuraTwilight
2014-10-31, 04:45 AM
Oh pfft, I didn't even notice the quote right above it. Nevermind I'm stupid.

Getsugaru
2016-07-12, 01:56 PM
Hello, any and all who were interested in this. I apologize for my inactivity with regards to this project; college life can get busy and I eventually forgot I was mid-way through this project. It bothers me that I've left this incomplete for so long, so I feel it is time I finally come back to this and finish it, once and for all (and this time I really mean it).

So here's the lowdown on what I am still working on. I've been having a lot of trouble figuring out both what each card no matter what can and cannot do as well as what limitations would be necessary to keep it balanced. The Cardcaptor is definitely a tier 1 class considering it gets full casting at 20th level, has plenty of skills and skill points, and a bunch of special tricks unique to it (such as the free magical garment effects that I'm still trying to make), but at the same time, I don't want the class to be so strong it raises the question of "why play anything else."

That said, there are a few things that need to be changed now that I know more about the game. To begin with, the Trials of Destiny and Oblivion. They are important rituals that were planned by Clow, but as they are right now, I'm not sure they fit in properly with the flow. By taking the class to these levels of power (10th and 20th, respectively), you are forcing the DM to include a unique scenario specific to a single player, which may or may not fit well into their existing plan. As such, I am considering rewriting them to be optional; specifically, I am thinking about having the ritual itself be an option, not the end result. There is only supposed to be one Cardcaptor who's modifying the Clow Cards, after all, and The Nothing is not supposed to be an easy-to-obtain card, what with its power effectively being a living sphere of annihilation that obeys your commands (in other words, effectively an upgrade of the statue from Tomb of Horrors).

Meanwhile, on the "still needing to be finished" workbench is most of the Clow Cards. I was trying to make sure I caught exactly what each card does and does not do by going one episode at a time and making notes, but then life intervened and I stopped watching. Another element that has its own workbench (rather a sewing table) is Dress For Success. Almost all the costumes have no abilities whatsoever, which bothers me since they are meant to give the class a special flair fitting of the Magical Girl style. The ability is meant to modify existing clothes and armor, so that gives it its own problems (perhaps restrict it to Light armor only?), but more than that, I just haven't put in enough effort in thinking up and researching fitting equipment effects for each style.

Finally, there's the 15th and 18th level abilities. Since this class was designed with non-multiclassing in mind (no casting until level 11, etc.), I tried to give the class fitting abilities at each level so that there were not any "dead" levels that made people not want to advance to them. Basically, I tried to make sure every level gave something special. These two levels have nothing at the moment, with 18 probably going to be left blank because of the multiple abilities received at 19th level, but I feel there should be something at 15th level. I do not currently know what, but something. If anyone has suggestions (whether the suggestions be an ability, stat boost, that it remain blank, etc.), I'm all ears.

With regards to Yue, Cerberus, and other stat blocks at the end of the chapter, those will come later on; While Cerberus is the guardian familiar and therefore needs his stats for the stat advancement to work at all and Yue needs his stats for the 10th level ritual, right now my priority is getting the cards and outfits completed. That being said, I am open to any and all help that anyone is willing to give.

Here is the bucket list of what needs completion in order of priority:
Most of the Clow Cards. (If anyone knows how to get the card images to show up at a set size consistently, that's be a very big help).
Dress for Success abilities.
Cerberus' base stats, with advancement kept in mind.
Yue's Stats, balanced for a battle at level 10-11.

I haven't abandoned this. It just was put on the shelf for a while. I want to at least get it to the point that it can be PEACH'd, at the very least, so I'll try to not disappear again any time soon.

AuraTwilight
2016-07-13, 06:34 AM
Bear in mind regarding Yue that his statblock could be superior, given that he's probably supposed to rein it in and conduct himself in a manner proportional to the candidates being tested.

nonsi
2016-07-14, 03:45 AM
Regarding the description of Clow Cards - I'm pretty sure all 4 elements were required for obtaining Light & Dark (which in the series were converted simultaneously).

nonsi
2016-07-14, 04:15 AM
Regarding Cerberus - visually speaking, he looks like a 4-legged love child between a Leonal and an Avoral :smallbiggrin:
By CC-level 20, it should be at least that powerful.
This should give you a decent ground level to work from.

One thing that doesn't add up for me in your CC class is that there's absolutely no justification why it should be nearly as powerful as you made it to be spell-wise.
In my view, it would be perfectly within theme if your CC had spellcasting progression of a Sorc. w/ 9 levels delay, culminating at 20th w/ 5th SL access.

AuraTwilight
2016-07-14, 06:45 AM
He's basing that design point on the plot element that Sakura Kinomoto was chosen because she's destined to be the strongest spellcaster in the CLAMP multiverse.

nonsi
2016-07-14, 09:11 AM
He's basing that design point on the plot element that Sakura Kinomoto was chosen because she's destined to be the strongest spellcaster in the CLAMP multiverse.

1. It's all a question of what constitutes "powerful" in the storyline's multiverse.
2. In the CCS universe, magic depends mostly upon cards, with other magical means being secondary. The Nothing seems like a pretty mean card, yet she transformed it into Hope. Seems quite in line to me with being powerful.

AuraTwilight
2016-07-15, 11:51 AM
In the manga, Sakura becomes capable of legitimate spellcasting without using the cards, and is described as more powerful than a guy who knows Wish/Miracle.

The reasoning for giving full spellcasting is clear, even if I agree it can probably be adjusted for better balance and smooth design.

Getsugaru
2016-07-15, 12:12 PM
AT is correct. My reasoning is based on the manga, which was the original version of the story (and, if I recall correctly, only had 17 cards). Likewise, she is also meant to be the most powerful spellcaster in the CLAMPverse, and when that means stronger than Clow Reed (who was capable of things such as "stopping someone's time so they would not die" and, more importantly, crafting the equivalent to an intelligent and animated Deck of Many Things at the power level of artifacts (if only because there are only one of each and their destruction seems impossible). I'll admit, this was in part due to him splitting his powers in half when he reincarnated, but one could take that in any number of ways.

As for why the casting is like it is, Clow Reed's style of magic was a fusion of "Western" and "Eastern" magic; since there really isn't a difference in magic based on location (unless you are in Faerun), I changed that to be arcane and divine to best represent his magic style. Sakura's magic is stated to be the same, using a balance of "sun and moon." Therefore, I designed the magic system to work on a similar system. This is the reason for getting both arcane and divine spells while having to use an equal amount of each, as well as why her magic counts as arcane or divine based on which would be stronger.

This is one of the elements I intend to modify (mostly by changing it so that it counts as half of each magic type, meaning arcane spell failure would still exist, urpriests would get spell resistance, etc. only at half strength since only half the spell energy is of that type). I also plan to change the spells per level to be always even numbers (3's to 2's, 5's to 4's) to keep the ratio proper. One important detail that (hopefully) keeps this from being Tier 0 is that you do not have the infinite spell knowledge of a wizard or a cleric since your spell list is more restricted and you only get half as many spells for each type with the balance restriction.