PDA

View Full Version : Cloud walkers- emulating a dragon ability

Yaitanos
2012-06-18, 04:07 AM
So I have this air genasi air head that likes to flit around defying gravity and flying around in the sky doing little but messing with the creatures that live up there. And to make this character even more entertaining I'd like to make him able to sleep on clouds and the like, pretty much emulating or have a similar ability to the silver dragon's cloud walk ability. I think I've seen a spell or meme thing that does something like this and would like to design an item around that spell. I don't want air walk cause I want it to be specifically clouds and fog. He can already fly and levitate, I just want him to be able to sleep in the sky instead of having to go down and find a safe place to sleep on the ground. Which he really hates having anything to do with. He thinks it gross, dirty and full of icky slimy crawly things.

He's a fun character and I think this would really help flesh out the concept. Much better than using a hammock suspended from immovable rods.

Yaitanos
2012-06-18, 07:14 AM
So in the draconomicon I found this nifty little potion called a blood elixir. Depending on the type of dragon it's distilled from it gives a +2 enhancement bonus to str(chromatic) or cha(metallic) as well as a special ability. If you use the blood of a silver dragon you get the cloudwalking ability. That specific elixir costs 1400gp, but only lasts for 10 minutes. Anyone know how to make it a permanent affect? Really don't care much bout the stat bonus, just want the cloudwalking.

Eldest
2012-06-18, 02:33 PM
The Cloud Anchorite (monk PrC) has something similar, I think.

Piggy Knowles
2012-06-18, 03:42 PM
It's not a particularly easy check to make, but a DC 120 Balance check (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#balance) will allow you to balance on a cloud. But getting a check that high, especially when you're asleep, is up to you....

gbprime
2012-06-18, 03:58 PM
If you can change form via magical means, you could always take the Assume Supernatural Ability feat from Savage Species. (You also need a 13 wisdom, so this might not work for an "airhead".) It allows you to copy one Supernatural ability from a creature while you're mimicking it's shape. (And a DM could rule that if you're mimicking a silver dragon mimicking a humanoid... that's close enough. :smallbiggrin: )

Yaitanos
2012-06-18, 09:28 PM
The Cloud Anchorite PrC doesn't fit what this character is. He's a chaotic mess of multi-classing meant to be fast and free. He never touches the ground if he can help it and already has lots of abilities that allow him to do that. He can't shapeshift in any fashion or form.

He is an airhead and does have a decent wisdom score, as he uses it for both his monk abilities and his psionic powers. He's an ardent (freedom and element mantles), horse totem barb, Wild Ranger (fast movement variant in the UA), chaos/martial monk, exoticist fighter and elocator.

I was thinking of maybe combining the dragonblood elixer with the drow blood potion (if I can find the stupid thing again). Replacing all the effects of the drow blood potion with the cloudwalking ability. So that instead of counting as a drow and getting all their racial spell like abilities and what not, you simply get the dragon ability. Without counting as a dragon.

Bronk
2012-06-19, 07:07 AM
Well, the 'Sterling Collar' from Dragon Magic offers the same cloudwalking benefit as the blood elixir, although it is 10 minutes per day instead of a one shot, and is more expensive.

However, the fluff for the item is interesting... it says to treat the power it grants as an 'air walk' spell that only works on clouds and fog. Maybe you could use the fluff for that item to use the 'cloudwalker anklets' from the Magic Item Compendium that way. Those are continuous use 'air walk', and hey, walking on clouds is even in the name...

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-19, 10:17 AM
If you're an elocator, can't you do this already?

Yaitanos
2012-06-20, 12:39 AM
If you're an elocator, can't you do this already?

Elocators get an ability called Scorn earth that allows them to float at one foot above the ground and move at their full movement. Any higher and their speed is reduced to 10. The ability otherwise works as psionic levitate. Mean that while I can be up in the clouds without any problem, I can't treat the clouds as solid ground. And I have to be conscious for the scorn earth ability to function, unlike the cloudwalking ability. Meaning that I can't use a cloud as a pillow.

I completely forgot about the sterling collar, and will look at that. See if I can get it to work continuously.

Yaitanos
2012-06-20, 05:15 AM
Looked at the sterling collar and honestly besides the cloudwalking ability, I don't want anything else it offers. I don't want or need the nat armor bonus, and I'm already immune to cold so whats the point?

So; LETS DO SOME MATH!!! If the cloudwalker anklets grant continuous air walk as cast by a 7th level druid (going with druid cause of the wild shaping thing) AND allows to be used while in wild shape, all for a measly 50k gp, how much would these items cost if they granted a continuous air walk ability that only worked in/on fog and clouds WITHOUT being able to be used in wild shape? Basically allowing you to use fog or clouds as solid ground?

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-20, 06:43 AM
Well, I'd simply allow you the ability to sleep on clouds if I were your DM.
According to the magic item creation guidelines, a continuous item of air walk woulc cost 56k.
I'm guessing 20k would be a good price it it only works in fog/cloud and gives no other abilities.

whibla
2012-06-20, 09:36 AM
I'm guessing that the items already listed are based around the Complete Divine spell Cloudwalkers.

By my reckoning a command word activated ("*yawn* time for bed") single use per day (lasts 11 hours unless dismissed) slotted item (nightcap / bed socks / w/e) would cost 23760gp, and that's with no restrictions. In theory the item would work for up to 11 people too, but thematically that's not a good fit.

I also like the image of you waking up, and shaking the cloudstuff off your feet (dismissing the spell), as you prepare for a hard day of flying around tickling swifts, or whatever it is you do.

Yaitanos
2012-06-20, 09:51 PM
Cloudwalkers is just basically an advanced version of airwalk. So not what I'm looking for.
A friend recently pointed out there is a magic ring called the Ring of the White Wyrm. A nifty little item that for 175k gp you can have Icewalking at will, freezing fog 2/day and Wall of Ice 1/day. You can speak draconic and gain cold resist 15 while worn. You also can turn into a white half-dragon 1/day and get some cool abilities. It mentions something that there are other rings attuned to other dragons. Wonder if we can figure out the cost of just having icewalk, it so then we can easily switch that with cloudwalking.
The rest of the effects of the ring wouldn't appeal at all to Breezer (A nickname that he consented too after no one wanted to say his full name). Since he really doesn't like dragons truth be told. He thinks they're invading his space and getting all up in his grill. They also don't like him much as he has a tendency to kill them. When I brought him in I was 8th level and was floating about the skies when a, ironically, white dragon came at him. Thanks to his incredible speed and perfect flight proceeded to slice and dice the young adult dragon with little trouble. Surprised the hell outa me I gotta say. As a player I really like dragons and know how powerful they can be, even whites.

Yaitanos
2012-06-22, 02:10 PM
So talking with my GM, she said that I could either make the anklets of cloudstepping (Her name for it) at 20000, or find the price on the potion that makes you count as drow and gives you all their spell like abilities. Since she said that this would give it to me as a racial ability, which appeals to me more than a magic item really, I have been searching for this item the past few days. Sadly to no luck. Could someone lend a hand with it? I'm starting to think it might be a 3.0 item.