PDA

View Full Version : Kennet's Gambit: Cell Theta [Dark Heresy]

LeSwordfish
2012-06-18, 05:49 AM
Dark Heresy: Kennet's Gambit

Chapter One: Do Not Investigate

The message had been circulated to all your rooms a few minutes ago, by one of the freighter's hundred bustling stewards. Would Lady de Candra Borjya, Mr Trellis, madam Kalt, care to come to the communications deck? Madam Meredith requests an audience. I'm sorry sir, ma'am, I have no other information. Just the message.

When you have joined the others in the communications room, a dark circle lit by the blue glow of dancing shapes on a hefty holodesk in the centre of the room, the messenger bids you politely goodbye, and leaves, instructing you to inform the steward once you are done. The placeholder shapes rotate once more, and then flicker, coruscate, and resolve into the shape of Inquisitor Meredith, revolving slowly.

"Cell Theta" She says, and smiles. "Apologies for the time taken to send this message. Preparing a secure signal took quite some time. I assure you I had no intention of sending you off into the warp with no explanation or plan. Events, as always, transpire as they will."

Meredith's image shrinks and reduces, to be replaced by that of a planet, wreathed in a tracery of high cirrostratus.

"This is your target, the planet of Ventus Commercia, colloquially known as "Tradewind". A minor agri-world, with a few unusual features. Located near to an anomaly in warp-space, meaning transmission and transit are unusually smooth. As such, it's home to a network of orbital stations dedicated to refuelling and repair of starships, and the College of Gilead, a major astropathic relay, capable of shooting a message across the whole subsector. Otherwise though, largely insignificant. Farming, mining, and so on. Small population, only major tithe fuel for the orbitals."

The planet disappears, and a man replaces it. The image is fuzzy but recognisable as an action shot, perhaps caught by a security pict-caster. The man is sallow, with blond hair pulled back from his face, a pair of large glare-glasses, and a set of starched administratum robes. He is skeletally thin, with a narrow skull sharply stretching his face, and hands like spiders. The shot is of him striding forward, holding a long-barrelled pistol.

"You probably know this man. Alric Kennet, freelance mercenary and cult facilitator. Responsible for several of the most high-profile acts of heresy across the subsector in the last thirty standard years.. Known employers include the Pilgrims of Hayte, Marco Ferris the xenotech smuggler, and the cult of the Pale Prophet. I won't bore you with the details- I've attached his file to your data slates- but suffice to say he's a damn intelligent man. The Ordo's been after him for decades, and we've never so much as felt his collar."

"Last attempt was two years ago. A group of three inquisitors cornered him aboard the Lineage Of Victris. None of them, or him, were ever seen again. We never really expected he was dead, of course, and now it appears he's re-emerged. Sighted aboard a ship headed for Tradewind. Our best efforts have brought up no further evidence, and the rumour is still unconfirmed."

"So that's your secondary task. Keep your eyes peeled for Kennet. He's most likely causing havoc a subsector away, but the rumour of his presence on the planet below adds... interest... to the incident you'll be investigating as your primary task. And frankly-" here a pause, a small sigh- "-its too damn interesting already."

OOC

Here we go. A pause here to avoid too much text at once, and let the PC's get a word in edgeways.

Cell Theta OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13414877#post13414877)

File/0336321/hereticus/Kennet

++ Kennet, Alric ++

++ Clearance required: Veridian ++

Alric Baren Kennet grew up the son of a planetary governor, on the hive world of Albion's Wake. At an early age he was identified as a savant of extraordinary ability, and schooled at the famous Schola Progenia Taura. Schola reports have him as a model student, but rumours dogged his time there, including the death of a teacher and the theft of several tomes from the scholam's restricted library.
Upon leaving the Schola, Kennet fell into the company of powerful influences. Few records exist of his whereabouts for the next ten years, but it is believed that it is around this time that he began his facilitator work. Certainly several companies in competition to his father's shipping interests collapsed over this period. The next record of Kennet's location was ten years after his graduation, back on his home world of Skell's World. Kennet was caught on camera raiding an imperial faculty, and would not have been recognised but for one of his scholam tutors being seconded to the investigation into the incident.
From then on, Kennet has rarely left the interest of the inquisition. His Facilitator work became considerably more radical soon after, working directly for anti-imperial influences such as the Pilgrims of Hayte, Marco Ferris, and the cult of the Pale Prophet. Kennet's influence on each group usually marks a definite increase in their activity and efficiency, and it is believed that, amongst other successful attacks, Kennet has been personally responsible for the opening of two warp portals and the manifestation of one major Daemon. All three events lead to the enaction of Exterminatus on their source planets.
Kennet has evaded inquisitorial sanction for nearly a century now. The most recent attempt to capture him is particularly notable: a ordo hereticus coalition of Inquisitors Solomon, Verence, and Bach and their retinues tracked Kennet to a place on the Lineage of Victris, a rogue trader vessel. Their final transmission reported a confirmed sighting and preparations for an imminent attack. Thirty minutes later an automated message from the Lineage Of Victris reported a catastrophic failure of its Geller field whilst entering warp. The ship, the three Inquisitors, and Kennet were never seen again.*Kennet is not believed dead and should still be regarded as active.

Kennet himself is only an average physical combatant, with reasonable sword and rifle skills, and no known psychic abilities. His mind and senses are extremely sharp though, and he is a skilled speaker. He is also extremely wealthy, and usually carries multiple Xenotech devices, often including a personal shield.

File/1249677/planetaria/Tradewind

++ "Ventus Commercia" aka "Tradewind" ++

Note: Data does not include Tradewind orbital stations. For data on Tradewind Orbital Stations, reference file 64/29/2887/130/Ca/TO

Reference number: 1249677/ca/3419
Population: 2.88x10^7

++ Military and Governance ++
Aestimare: X136
Imperial Fleet Presence: Minimal
Governor's capital: Gilead Palaces
Planetary Garrisons: None permanent.
Imperial Garrison Strength: n/a
Planetary Draft: n/a
Prefix Inquisitoria: Of Interest

++Production++
Tithe Grade: Exactis Minima
Chief Exports: Banedax Ore, Foodstuffs

++Additional Information++

The planet of Tradewind, a small, largely watery world near the center of the Calixis Subsector, was colonised some time during M38, and remains in much the same state as it was originally, with a population of less than thirty million.

Geographically, it consists of two large continents surrounded by ocean. The northern continent is heavily mountainous, with glaciers at high latitude and altitude, large areas of tundra and coniferous forest on mountain slopes and, along the southernmost coast, meadows and moors. The human population largely lives on this continent, with fifty percent in the capital city, thirty per cent spread amongst the other cities and agricultural land along the coast, and ten per cent living in farms and industrial sites in the mountains. Most of these farms keep livestock, with porcine and bovine xenoforms being popular.

The remaining ten percent of the population lives on the southernmost, equatorial continent. This continent is almost entirely desert and brushland, and human activity there tends toward mining for the small reserves of minerals and promethium found underground.

Tradewind has an indigenous population of bipedal xenoforms living in the forests on the northern continent, known for their green skin as the greenmen. Rumours that this population are mutated humans left over from a failed previous colonisation event have been investigated by teams from the Ordo Xenos, though results were not published. The indigens propensity for raiding attacks on imperial centers, using primitive weapons and armour but large numbers have caused segmentum command to assign a regiment of imperial guard to Tradewind to augment the PDF in protecting important locations. This posting is considered something of a joke by segmentum command, and "Posted to Tradewind" or "Doing the Greenman shift" has become a euphemism amongst guardsmen for dull or easy duties.

Tradewind's main notable features are due to its position near to a minor fold in warp-space. This makes it an extremely popular location for ships to refuel and repair, and much of its economy depends on the host of orbital stations servicing this trade. In addition, the astropathic relay known as the College of Gilead is based on Tradewind. The College is notable for having one of the largest ranges and powers of any astropathic relay, and as a hub of further education on matters of the warp and psykers. Its library, in particular, is one of the most extensive in private hands within the subsector.

Tradewind's orbital period is approximately twice that of earth, and days there last approximately thirteen hours. As such, citizens use a two-day sleep/wake cycle.

Ghaundan
2012-06-18, 05:00 PM
Augustus made sure his clothing was presentable from top to toe before putting aside the lasgun which was halfway through cleaning and blessing before striding quickly towards the communications deck. Most knew him, or rather who he worked for, and made room.

Sitting down on his usual chair he gave a curteous nod to the others and listened intently on Meredith's briefing, overlooking the files on his dataslate and making minor notes as she went. The mention of Kennet's disapearance ran chills down his spine. How could a simpel adept, heretic or not, survive while 3 inquisitors and most likely their retinues perish? And he had though his role in this would be easy, but maybe he wouldn't be completely useless afterall.

When she made a pause in the briefing he raised his hand and spoke

My lord Meredith, though it is most likely above my station, how could he manage to survive 3 inquisitors? Are there any reports on cult activity that might be affiliated with him? And, should we find him should be given the Emperor's mercy or brought back alive for interrogation? Though he silently hoped the latter wasn't the case if he was as dangerous as Meredith indicated, heretics such as that didn't deserve to risk imperial lives needlessly. A las shot to head and burn the wretched corpse would do, he hoped.

Donan
2012-06-18, 05:22 PM
Xanthis stood in a relaxed pose and in simple clothes, a dapper and fairly attracive man despite his obivous Void Born heritage. His hands were linked behind his back and a light smile sat on his face as he listened, though that soon became something of a frown as the information on Kennet was presented. He'd been around enough to know how dangerous a man with the right contacts could be, and with Scholo Progenium training added to that, and obivous natural gifts, Kennet would be very difficult, and very dangerous to bring down.

They did have one significant advantage, however.

The trader waited till Augustus had finished speaking, gave the man a light smile and then spoke up himself. "Thank you Milady Meredith, if this man is a possible risk, I'm glad to be able to see him coming.

I understand it may seem somewhat fussy, but can you send me all the infomation you have on his earliest ventures and how his methods developed? I'd lik to see what patterns he still stays to, what his motivations are, his fears, hm, anything, down to the deepest detail if possible."

LeSwordfish
2012-06-19, 12:16 AM
My lord Meredith, though it is most likely above my station, how could he manage to survive 3 inquisitors? Are there any reports on cult activity that might be affiliated with him? And, should we find him should be given the Emperor's mercy or brought back alive for interrogation?

"If you can capture him alive, do. He'll have a wealth of information on the people he's worked with. If there's any chance he might escape, dont hesitate to take him down. Better dead than free."

"I understand it may seem somewhat fussy, but can you send me all the infomation you have on his earliest ventures and how his methods developed? I'd lik to see what patterns he still stays to, what his motivations are, his fears, hm, anything, down to the deepest detail if possible."

"That will take a significant amount of time. And i'm not overblessed with time at the moment. But i will put someone on it."

Linguz
2012-06-19, 12:28 AM
Gesboiath, in his signature guard flak armor and loose fitting clothing, had kept quiet as they had spoken and he had gone over the data in that same state. He was resting against the side of the room, preferring to stand whenever there was anyone of authority around than sit, even if she was just a hologram. The fact that this man was a Schola, like him, irritated him greatly. He didn't really understand why he had turned, but he knew the consequences of any amount of disobedience. How he had survived for that long perplexed him, but he put it behind him. There would be time to think about that later.

He looked up from the data slate, back to the inquisitor, and remained silent, waiting for the actual objective of this mission to be stated.

Mekboy
2012-06-19, 01:30 PM
Scowling, Alice made her way to comms deck. She'd been interrupted in her meditations on the nature of the Warp and was hardly in the best mood. While her practical clothing didn't mark her out to be a psyker, most people still found her somewhat unsettling and so she was given a wide berth on the way. She ignored it. She was used to it.

Listening to the breifing, slouched in one of the chairs, she was vaguely impressed. Not many could hope to survive a meeting with three Inquisitors - even equipped with Xenotech. And to presumeably kill them? Very impressive. Of course this meant that bringing him in, should they actually encounter him, would be very difficult indeed. She grinned at the thought. I do like a challenge.

LeSwordfish
2012-06-20, 01:31 AM
"To our main business. Two weeks ago I received a message from one Major Kyros, an old contact of mine, commanding officer of the Messina 6th, stationed on Tradewind. She reported that a squad of hers, stationed at a power relay shrine, had vanished, along with the shrine's tech-adepts. No contact from them, except a single vox-message. Text file, rather than sound. Message reads:"

"Do not investigate. Do not spread the word. In our memory do not investigate. They say it sounds like angels. Ignore them. Do not spread the word. Do not investigate."

"So. You see why Kyros was wary of sending a squad of her own men in to investigate. She sent me a message to ask for advice, and I recommended she stay put, while I sent a team to investigate for her. That is, of course, where you come in. By sheer luck, you were in the area, and we can strike while the iron is hot."

"So. Yes. Your primary task is to make planetfall, meet with Major Kyros, and render her whatever assistance possible. Investigate the disappearance of the squad and the tech-adepts. Help ensure the shrine remains running. Kyros is an ex-acolyte, so with her you can go for an open approach. She'll assist you however she can. I've arranged transport for you- a shuttle will take you from orbit to the regiment's current deployment at the Ben Amo's Gorge hydroelectric plant."

Meredith sighs again and looked rather embarrassedly frank. "To be honest, we don't know how this one will play out. It might be a rogue psyker, a disease, or the next black crusade climbing out of a manhole. Hopefully with the assistance of the 6th, you can handle anything large until the big guns arrive."

"I think that's all. I hope that's all. This link can't last forever, so if you need any extra details, ask quick."

Linguz
2012-06-20, 02:37 AM
Gesboiath pushed himself off the wall and went to the hologram. "How do we contact you if anything appears that needs immediate attention from one such as you? And what are the possibilities of bringing in a larger force and or supplies quickly? It might be nothing serious, but if Kennet has been sighted around, I want to be on the safe side. If any of us spots him, I want a reliable way to get into contact with you so we don't fight him alone and end up losing him if we're defeated."

LeSwordfish
2012-06-20, 02:55 AM
"How do we contact you if anything appears that needs immediate attention from one such as you? And what are the possibilities of bringing in a larger force and or supplies quickly? It might be nothing serious, but if Kennet has been sighted around, I want to be on the safe side. If any of us spots him, I want a reliable way to get into contact with you so we don't fight him alone and end up losing him if we're defeated."

"Major Kyros has a secure line to me. She can help you connect if necessary. As for additional forces, if needs must I can use my influence to secure you help. The regiment, local PDF and the College could all be prevailed upon to help. Dedicated inquisitorial support will take a long time, possibly a month or more, but trust me. Confirm Kennet's location, and there will be a LOT of it. Inquisitor Bach was in the ordo Malleus, and one of the Astartes has vowed revenge. I don't need to tell you how helpful that would be."

Ghaundan
2012-06-20, 05:03 AM
Augustus stood up and saluted.

"By your word it shall be done, Ma'm. When does the shuttle depart?"

He had a bit more to do on his lasgun before departing, but he was honestly just eager to get under way. Seeing guardsmen again would be good, but even better would be making some use of himself. But best of all? Getting off this damned ship, he never liked it up in space. Having solid ground beneath his feet was always reassuring.

Donan
2012-06-20, 05:17 AM
Xanthis nodded lightly. "All I've left to ask now is whether there've been strange events around this shrine, or the system in the past."

LeSwordfish
2012-06-20, 10:03 AM
"I questioned Kyros about the location. She said there was nothing that she'd heard of, but that she would look into it. Same regarding the history of the system. Some minor incidents that can be attributed mostly to the college, but the rate of mutation, deviation, and such is near sector average. As for the shuttle, it can leave as soon as you are ready. Dropping hints as regards checking a shipmaster's warrants can do fantastic things to sever red tape and open opportunities."

AHook22
2012-06-23, 03:20 PM
Alma sat rather stiffly in her chair. Until this point, she had remained silent, listening intently to the briefing. She leaned forward into the conversation and spoke for the first time:

"Do we know exactly what Kennet was last seen using? Do we know what tech he possesses?"

LeSwordfish
2012-06-24, 01:40 AM
"Kennet usually carries a xenotech sidearm- this particular one is an eldar shuriken weapon. Any other special weaponry he has will probably be given to one or other of the mercenaries he works with. He often carries a personal shield, too, so be aware of that. If it comes to combat, keep hitting him with high-power shots. Sheilds dont reduce the kinetic impact, so with luck you can keep him down and pinned."

Shunka Warakin
2012-06-24, 01:43 PM
"Tradewind," It's amazing the amount of disdain Tysiphoni injects into the word. She sniffs slightly. "I suppose everything has to happen somewhere."

The young noblewoman rattles her nails against the dataslate. "I beg your pardon, Lady Meredith, you know this Major, but...Does the message strike you as a touch dramatic rather than formal? 'In our memory do not investigate.' It's like something out of a thronegelt-thriller where the loyal hero sends their dying transmission through the last sane astropath: 'In the Emperor's name, do not attempt our rescue, but call for Exterminatus upon our world.' or some such. Except of course he didn't invoke the Emperor, did he? Wouldn't there be some sort of a code the Guard have for 'It's a mess, don't come figure it out, just bomb it from orbit.'?"

Tysiphoni peers skeptically at the dataslate. "...Short of Exterminatus, I mean. Some sigil or other amounting to an authentication. Sending such a thing to their commander without aught such encoding is practically extending an invitation. It would be foolish to think it would be obeyed. Particularly when they include this nonsense about angels, as opposed to something as straightforward as 'Heretics. Don't come here, torpedo the site from orbit.'"

Edit: Fixed the first sentence's atrocious grammatical left turn.

LeSwordfish
2012-06-25, 12:46 AM
Meredith shrugs. She hasn't given this much thought, it seems. "You'd be surprised, what happens to the mind under stress. I recall on Sarethis..." and then she looks sharply sideways. Something outside the projector has caught her attention. One hand moves to the butt of her pistol. "Never mind. Any other questions? Make it quick."

Ghaundan
2012-06-25, 03:55 PM
"None Ma'm! I'll need to take my leave now, I need to get ready for departing. I hope the rest of you will be at the launch bay so we can discuss current events before we make planetfall.

He snapped a salute, turned and took a quick stride back towards his small quarters. Hurridly he finished cleaning his lasgun and said a small prayer as he inserted the powerpack and did a final check to see that everything was as it should. The prayer wasn't one the adepts of the mechanicum but a battleprayer he'd learned during the crusades by one of the many clerics that joined them.

With his lasgun cleaned, checked and blessed he donned his flak armour which was of supert quality and carefully made sure everything was in place. He strapped his extra laspacks in easy to reach pockets, his laspistol and axe were secured and he checked to see if his microbead worked.

The rest of the equipment was placed in his backpack and he headed towards the docking bay, eager to see fellow guardsmen once again. Even with all the questions running around in his head.

Donan
2012-06-25, 04:21 PM
Xanthis' head snaps up in concern and he glance at the man operating the projector. "We'll get it done milady!" He waves at the operator. "Cut the connection, we can't be seen!"

LeSwordfish
2012-06-28, 05:17 PM
Meredith nods. "I have every trust in you." And then the connection cuts off with a crackle. The room is dark, and feels a little more empty than before. A silence hangs in the air.

The door opens a crack, throwing a harsh line of light across the room. A face appears at the door, with a distinct expression of nervousness. "Sorry. Um. Are you done in here?"

---

The transit from warp space runs as smoothly as ever, with only the slight juddering indicating that the bounds from reality to the empyrean had been crossed. From any window, Tradewind is now visible, as a pinpoint ahead of you, that grows visibly over the next few hours into a great ball of brilliant Azure seas and white clouds turning slowly that fills the viewports and slides over the lip of the observation deck like a sunrise.

When you assemble in the hangar, a constant buzz of activity fills the room. Hundreds of people and servitors are flocking in all directions, across the main floor and dozens of gantries, prepping shuttles, hauling cargo lifters, and doing various technological things that Ferrus understands instinctively and completely pass over the others heads.

Your shuttle is a grimy, olive-green arvus lighter, with a pack of adepts flitting around it nervously. No-one suspects you're with the inquisition, but everyone knows you represent some or other high authority, and since you boarded the ship everyone has been nervous of you.

Onboard the arvus, the pilot gives you a nod of welcome, and returns to the vox to continue with his preflight check as you settle into the seats.

"Rocitors?"
"Check"
"Hydrals?"
"Check"
"Did the left gear get fixed properly?"
"I looked it over, it's good."
"You sure?"
"It's fine, Thufvesson. Leave it."
"Alright. If you're sure. Passengers are here, we are prepped for takeoff."
"Roger. Clearing the bay now."

A siren sounds, and the bustling crew begin to head to the exits. There's no sense of urgency, even though the large airlock doors are already closing- with practiced ease, they swing themselves through. The main doors open, and the arvus lifts off and begins accelerating forward, swinging vertiginiously downward around the hull of the ship, and headed for the planet below.

"Evening, folks." the pilot says, speaking to you directly for the first time. He's a rotund man, who looks to have wedged himself into the seat, and his accent is strong but unplaceable. "Should take us a few hours to reach the plant. We'll arrive mid-morning local time. Sit back, relax. I hope one of you brought cards or something because we ain't fitted with a vid-screen."

OOC
Again, giving you guys a chance to post and breaking up a large body of text. Unless you have something specific to roleplay, i'll jump to the planetfall.

Linguz
2012-07-04, 11:43 AM
Gesboiath sits down.

AHook22
2012-07-04, 01:11 PM
Alma takes the spare seat in the cabin beside the pilot of the craft, and watches in excitement as the planet approaches. She studies the pilot operating such a craft, and eventually engages him in conversation, asking a range of questions from specifics about the Lighter, to his personal history.
She hardly notices the length of the trip.

LeSwordfish
2012-07-05, 04:05 PM
The pilot is happy to talk to Alma, seemingly pleased to have someone to talk shop with. "They may be only mark three, but we've got them running through triple-locked coolers, so we can shed heat like nobody's business.""Feel those vibrations? Half the amp of comparable models" as the lighter bullies its way through low-altitude air currents.

Eventually the lighter begins to fly with the terrain, instead of towards it. Low rolling hills rise into rock-strewn slopes, wide limestone pavements, and finally towering mountains. Steep-sided grey gorges crack the crags, with tall coniferous forests fuzzing the surface. The lighter slowly swings down into one of the wider, shallower gorges, sliding along almost blissfully at treetop level- here the pilot glances sideways at Alma, and gives a little nod that clearly says "Yeah. I'm that good." In some places rock rises to the surface, and the trees part, allowing you to see tall mammals canter away from the lighter's wake. A blue ribbon of river is visible

"This is the Letitia province." the pilot explains, as a brief diversion from techno-babble. "Farming mostly. Grazers, i think. Don't ask me."

He cranes his neck a little, and taps the nav-screen. "We're coming up on the dam, so if you want to see something impressive, come up front now." He swings the lighter up a shade, and begins bringing it around a wide curve. "Seriously. I flew in here before. It's really something."

And it is. As the lighter clears the a rocky outcrop, the dam comes into view. White concrete and dark metal completely cross the gorge, from one side to the other. A mechanicus symbol the height of a titan is painted on in peeling red, and banners easily wide enough to drape across an entire chimera flap languidly from the top. Up the western side of the mountain a patchwork of white buildings poke out from the trees, tangled pipes and conduits strewn between them. The uppermost one has a large satellite dish on the top, and the lowermost has a set of massive industrial doors leading out onto a wide clearing, in which several large tents are set up in neat military rows. The bottom of the dam itself has a pair of pipes, that at the moment are torrenting water down a concrete spillway and into the river.

The pilot nods appreciatively. "And." he says, with more than a little solemnity, "Our nav-relay is Ryza-pattern, not Mars. An original."

http://www.tourismnewsinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Hydroelectric-Dam-Hungry-Horse-Dam.jpgBut BIGGER and more grimdark.

The lighter drops you on the edge of the makeshift camp, in a patch of cleared ground over which rock-crete has been painstakingly laid. When the hatch is popped the air is crisp and clear, with a touch of frost on the wind, though the scents of over a hundred sweaty imperial guardsmen hit you quickly, with promethium fires, cooking meat, and pine trees in quick succession afterward as the wind gusts.

On the edge of the landing pad is a tall, dark-skinned woman, with sharp romanesque features and a slightly shabby major's greatcoat is waiting to greet you, with an honour guard of similar-looking troopers standing to various degrees of attention behind her. Coat flapping in the wind, she strides forward and extends a hand in greeting.

"Major Kyros. Messina 6th, at your service." A surprisingly broad smile. "I wasn't expecting you here so soon."

Ghaundan
2012-07-06, 02:55 PM
Augustus hurried into the small ship and strapped himself inn and secured his lasgun, all in a well drilled manner. Although his old regiment hadn't been air cav he'd sat in plenty of large air freighters that carried vast amounts of troops, supplies and machines of war during invasions in the crusade. And he had loathed every drop.

He tried to keep silent during the trip as the others, exept Alma who was focused on the pilot, didn't seem to want to talk. And the offer of the dam didn't interested him, not that he didn't believe it wasn't impressive...he just didn't appreciate the idea of unstrapping himself.

As the hatch opened he took a deep breath, savoring the familier scent but his attention shifted swiftly to the major. Unstrapping himself and stranding upright he made the sign of the aquila over his chest and made a small bow before unfastening his lasgun and walking up the major, giving a short salute to a senior officer out of old habit "Greetings Major! Apologies if I seem rude, but aren't Colonel's usually the CO of a regiment? Has something happend to him or is it simply the way of things for your regiment? We have been briefed somewhat of your situation but we'd like a more indepth explenation. I hope you have somewhere more discreet where we can talk? Something tells me this is not for most ears"

Linguz
2012-07-06, 03:51 PM
Gesboiath had unstrapped himself when the dam was shown to look at it and hadn't bothered to strap himself back in. He jumped down off craft, the black metal spiked club at his belt shifting slightly. He greeted the major soon after, "Schola Arbite Gesboiath, at your service." What else hie would say had already been said, so he stayed quiet in a semi-relaxed position.

LeSwordfish
2012-07-09, 07:16 AM
Kyros nods politely at the group. "Of course. We have a.. A sort of situations room, that would be best. If you'd follow me?" she turns, and begins to lead you up the gentle slope towards the plant. With a lot of glances at each other and the group, the command squad accompanies you.

"I am the CO." She explains, as she leads you through the group, "But amongst Messinan regiments, the CO is only "Major". Hang-over from the old days when we were used as support companies to other regiments."

The place is full of soldiers, marching in groups, or relaxing around promethium fires. The Messinan uniforms seem to be a sort of loose fatigues in a bottle green, and most soldiers are bearing a wire-stock las gun or lascarbine, along with a bronze shortsword or dagger. A few troopers carry meltaguns. The occasional small sandbagged emplacement includes an auto cannon, or heavy stubber. You've seen a thousand similar regiments in your time. Most of the soldiers salute at Kyros as she passes.

"I must say, we weren't told the Arbites would be here." Kyros comments to Gesboiath, after seeing three troopers hide bottles of amasec behind their backs. "You seem to have put the troops on edge."

Augustus, or anyone with military experience
Despite the numerous minor breaches of discipline- gambling, non-regulation hair, insufficiently maintained non-combat equipment,- there's a definite sense that this regiment is a effective unit. The hundred minor features that you can pick out -trigger discipline, well-maintained weaponry, correctly set up emplacements, general morale- imply that, although a commissariat representative would make these troopers cleaner, neater, an aesthetic credit to the god-emperor, and parade-ground standard, he'd likely find little to improve on their military effectiveness.

The plant, when you reach it, is accessed by a pair of massive bulkheads that stand open to let the cooler air in, but inside its still stuffy and over-warm. Tangles of pipes, wires, and other ironwork stretch off for a good distance in all directions. A pair of troopers in the gantries above you call a challenge to Kyros, which she responds to, and allow you to pass, down a wide ramp, past a pair of parked groundcars, and into a massive cargo elevator. Here, a squadron of troopers is helping two red-robed servitors, the first mechanicus personnel you've seen, load prefabricated conduit sections. After a brief, muttered conversation with Kyros, the sargeant orders his squad out, and the elevator begins rising slowly through the faculty.

As one floor after another passes, you see the true scale of the faculty for the first time. The buildings on the outside are merely the tip of an iceberg, with cavernous rooms dug from the rock of the mountain. Most are given over to turbines larger than baneblades, in great matrices, with tech-adepts flitting between them like blood-insects. A few floors are covered with guardsman's bedrolls. One is given over to vehicles, but seems to be empty.

"All our chimeras are out at the remote faculties." Kyros explains. "The smaller groups need the manoeuvrability more."

As you climb, the buildings become neater and cleaner. Tiled mosaics replace brushed concrete, and red-robed magi replace the guardsmen in green. Eventually, you reach the top floor, and the mesh doors to the elevator open with a great whine.

The situations room is, in fact, a small conference room next to the main control centre of the dam. It has excellent views over the valley, but Kyros slams closed the blinds, and bullies the hololith into action. While it flickers on, she turns to her command squad.

"Bring Theodore and Emesdos in here, would you? Then guard the door. I don't want to be interrupted."

Theodore turns out to be a guardsman, short and squat, with a distinctly non-regulation beard, and an adjutants pips on his shoulder. Emesdos appears to be in command of the Mechanicus here, and is rake-thin and nearly seven feet tall, with heavy, drooping jowls and a network of mechandrites that hang limply down his back, and twitch occasionally into more comfortable positions, giving him the slight impression of a angel with the face of a bulldog.

Kyros gives the hololith a firm slap with her palm, and, admitting defeat, turns back to the group. "Right. Sorry. Never mind about that, then. This is Theodore, my aide, and Emesdos, the chief magos here. As of yet, they are the only people who know your purpose here."

"Though our ladies and gents will be able to guess." Theodore offers, extending a hand to shake. "Mysterious guests shortly after a mysterious event should set off alarm bells with most of them."

Linguz
2012-07-09, 08:07 AM
Gesboiath follows the major, examining everything and everyone that he met with a careful eye. "I've got bigger fish to fry than a regiment of undisciplined soldiers... but these aren't them. They know how to keep their military side fine, at the least."

Up the elevator and into the room, Gesboiath did nothing of interest, only followed.

When the hand was offered, Gesboiath took it. "Most likely, but it can't be helped."

Ghaundan
2012-07-12, 04:22 PM
Augustus followed suit and made an affirmative nod at Gesboiath's words "The men have little to fear from our previous occupations, it's our current one however is another matter. Regardless, your men seem to have their drills and rutine down. A minor lapse in disipline is the commissariats responsibility, wouldn't want to overstep their authority now would we? He made no attempt to hide his distaste for commissars, something that had stuck since his days in the guard so long ago.

His eyes moved around the entire trip, looking at the people around them. Especially the tech priest and his mechandrites. He'd never been around them much, but he had heard what they'd done to the dead in order to feed their scitarii forces marching. If it was true or not he didn't know, and in some sense it didn't matter. They were creepy enough as it is.

"Yes, appearantly, since even we don't know what's happened down here. But I'm curious, what on this planet warrants a regiment AND a Magos? The next thing you'll be telling me is that you have a mechanicus force stationed here as well Please Major, enlighten us".

LeSwordfish
2012-07-13, 03:29 PM
Emestos interjected sharply. "This faculty provides power for nearly the entire province, including the city, and its strategic value-"

"Is sufficient to ensure that it was a logical place for the regiment to use as its base." Kyros completes his sentence smoothly.