PDA

View Full Version : Trade Countersong fro Trapfinding?

the Blue Morpho
2012-06-18, 12:36 PM
I'm joining an all arcane game soon with a five man party that consists of an Abjurer, a Conjurer, a Hexblade, a Duskblade, and myself.

I decided to fill out the skill junky role with a Bard and from what the DM has told me there are going to be Traps.

Here's the thing. I know about the Spellbreaker song variant, I know about the methods to normally gain trapfinding through the kobold domain, or to take a dip in a base/prestige class that has it.

I don't want to do any of those things. I just want to know if trading Countersong for Trapfinding (at the DM's approval) seems an equal trade (or even a step down! I am totally ok with that and it would probably help my case with the DM).

Cheers.

That_guy_there
2012-06-18, 02:15 PM
If I were dming, it let that fly. At first it seems like a step down, except that you were forewarned about Traps so someone needs to do it. And with other casters you guys should have counterspelling covered anyway.

Ask the DM and see what happens

the Blue Morpho
2012-06-18, 02:33 PM
He convinced me that Spellbreaker song would be more valuable in the event of an archmage showing up and nobody wanting any casting to occur.

With so many Caster that can cast Detect Magic (the abjurer at will!) and Dispel Magic, magic traps aren't to worry.

I'll just live with sinking skill points into search/disable device cross-class for the mundane traps.

Lapak
2012-06-18, 02:44 PM
Invest ranks in Use Magic Device and get a (clerical) wand of Find Traps?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-06-18, 02:48 PM
What level is it starting at? Someone could just get Summon Elemental and Nodwick the traps.

the Blue Morpho
2012-06-18, 04:47 PM
We're all level 10. Actually, with the conjurer, that isn't too far off base...

Draz74
2012-06-18, 07:23 PM
You've probably already considered this, but just in case: it sounds like a Beguiler might be a better fit than Bard. It's just as Arcane, it will have even more skill points and a better skill list, and it's got Trapfinding out of the box. It's probably slightly stronger, but still Tier 3.

gorfnab
2012-06-19, 10:57 PM
If you want the Bard stuff you could go: Beguiler 6/ Prestige Bard 1/ Virtuoso 10/ X full caster 3 (Apprentice: Entertainer feat needed at 1st level).