PDA

View Full Version : Nice picks for wands??

Raendyn
2012-06-18, 04:45 PM
Hi playgrounders, its been a while,

I am here asking for advices for spells in my wands.

I am creating my first artificer and I am in a tight situation. I wont give the build as it is off topic, and I'll just say that I am playing a limited campaign (lvl10 atm)under the last RPGA rules in 3.5 if you are familiar with it.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebxe/welcome

For those that aren't I just need to say that atm I can take only 4-5 non-core (PH,DMG,Eberron CS) spells, and that persistent is banned. And I am here to ask for advice on usefull spells to have in wands. I am mostly looking for mid-high duration decent buffs(10m/lvl maybe?), as I am having the unfettered heroism - wand surge combo so I can keep those up all day long.

For those too bored to read that material in the spoiler, books allowed are all eberron book + all non-setting specific books, with minor exceptions like BoVD,BoED and few more, nvm.

Thanks in advance for your help! :smallcool:

Invader
2012-06-18, 06:26 PM
There's some good spells listed in the unoffical 3.0 artificers guide as well as the zeroficers guide.

Slipperychicken
2012-06-18, 08:08 PM
Wand Handbook (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2012/01/handbook-to-wand-users-and-crafters.html)

The limit on non-Core spells seems.. bizarre to me, considering the most broken spells are actually in Core. Why does that restriction exist?

ericgrau
2012-06-18, 11:58 PM
invisibility

Venusaur
2012-06-19, 09:03 AM
Lesser Vigor is always a good choice for heals. Rope trick is nice to have too.

Draz74
2012-06-19, 10:25 AM
Heroics, Wraithstrike.

Alienist
2012-06-19, 10:37 AM
Flamestrike is a good one for hitting BBEGs - I don't recommend it for normal fights, but if you bust it out in an epic fight, it gives the DM something to add into the descriptive mill. Also, you get to roll 'ye olde bucket of dice', for that bonus Shadowrun nostalgia.

I'm curious, how are you planning on kicking off the Unfettered Heroism chain? It's a 5th level spell, and you can't make Staves yet?

Without Persistent to be honest I probably wouldn't bother with UF/Wand Surge.

Duke of URL
2012-06-19, 12:44 PM
The generic wands advice is the same, regardless of source restrictions:

Choose spells with low dependence on caster level; most commonly, this is duration so make sure a low caster level will give you the duration you need.
Avoid spells that offer SR or saving throws.
Choose spells you are likely to use often enough to warrant having a wand; otherwise consider potions/scrolls for lower cost. If eternal wands are allowed, they're great for something you're only going to need once or twice a day, but every day.

Think like a sorcerer -- a wand is vaguely like an additional spell known (though with a limited lifetime use), so pick one that warrants using that "spells known slot".

Raendyn
2012-06-19, 03:18 PM
Firstly, thanks for your replies.

It seems that I didn't express my question in the best possible way, as I am unsatisfied from the replies, but its my bad. The handbooks...
I have read them already but the limitations on the Xendrik Expeditions campaign make most of the handbook tricks unavailable. Also there's not a sigle build without persist AND leadership......

So I am gona rephrace my question: If you guys had to pick 4-5 spells (spell lvl up to 6th)outside Core & Eberron CS, which would they be?
I am looking for something worth it until lvls 10-15 if not higher.
I also have the option to put them into wands (up to 4th lvl obviously).
So, having the Persist banned, you have in mind few long duration buffs that are worth it? 10mins/lvl ++

Thanks in advance for your replies again!

Draz74
2012-06-19, 05:15 PM
So I am gona rephrace my question: If you guys had to pick 4-5 spells (spell lvl up to 6th)outside Core & Eberron CS, which would they be?
I am looking for something worth it until lvls 10-15 if not higher.
I also have the option to put them into wands (up to 4th lvl obviously).
So, having the Persist banned, you have in mind few long duration buffs that are worth it? 10mins/lvl ++

Hmmm, out the two favorite non-Core spells I recommended, Wraitstrike probably isn't worth a wand if you're not going to be using Persist cheese on it. (There are lots of other ways to get touch attacks.) Heroics, however, is still at the top of my list of recommendations. It's incredibly useful -- especially if you know Tome of Battle well and can cherry-pick various applications of Martial Study.