PDA

View Full Version : Super Scribblenauts, Batman! (3.5 Base Class)(PEACH)

Madara
2012-06-18, 06:21 PM
http://images.wikia.com/scribblenauts/images/7/7a/GW300H427.png
"Give the Adventurer his money, or the Commoners will get hurt."- Hint

Truenamers are masters of the spoken word, they come to learn the language of creation. Wizards write their spells down in a spellbook in order to keep the magic that slips their mind after use. Everywhere in the world, Words hold the most power. Truenamers are wrong, however. As the greatest beings know, creation was recorded as it happened. But what if the reverse could happen, what if the record could cause the event? Such a question can be answered with a single word, Wordsmith.

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d8

Class Skills:
Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str),Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Hide (Dex), Knowledge (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Use Magic Device (Cha)

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Proficiencies: Wordsmiths are proficient with all simple weapons, light and medium armor. In addition, Wordsmiths only take half the non-proficiency penalty when using a weapon they created that they aren't proficient with.

Wordsmith
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |
Maximum Word Capacity

1st|+0|+0|+2|+2|Magic Notebook|

2nd|+1|+0|+3|+3|Erase Object, The Pen is Mightier than the Sword|

3rd|+2|+1|+3|+3|Favorite Object|

4th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Bonus Feat|

5th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Quickdraw|

6th|+4|+2|+5|+5|Extended Word Duration|

7th|+5|+2|+5|+5||

8th|+6/+1|+2|+6|+6|Adjectives!|

9th|+6/+1|+3|+6|+6|Bonus Feat|

10th|+7/+2|+3|+7|+7|Emergency Word, Favorite Object|

11th|+8/+3|+3|+7|+7|Permanent Creation|

12th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+8|Glitch|

13th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+8|Move Objects|

14th|+10/+5|+4|+9|+9|This Is My Domain|

15th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+9|+9|Create Level|

16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10||

17th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10|Favorite Object|

18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+11||

19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+11||

20th|+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+12|Scribblenauts Unlimited|

[/table]

Magic Notebook: The Wordsmith has one prized possession, his magical notebook. This magical notebook is similar to a Wizard's Spellbook in nature, and can be subject to all the same effects. The Magical Notebook can only be used by a Wordsmith, or else it has no effect. Each Word Written takes up a page of the notebook. A Wordsmith receives their first notebook free at first level, but must buy another(for 100gp) every time he needs a new one. By writing in this notebook, his words come to life. The Wordsmith is limited to a Maximum Word Capacity for the number of objects he can have created at one time. Unless noted, each word occupies one Word Slot. Writing a word in the notebook is a full round action, and is considered a Conjuration(Creation) effect for nonliving objects, and a Conjuration(Summoning) effect for living creatures. Objects and creatures created disappear if the go further than 200ft. from the Wordsmith, this increases to 500ft. at 10th level.

Objects:

Equipment: At first level, the Wordsmith can create any nonmagical object of up to 30gp/ level in value. These objects last indefinitely if held by the Wordsmith. If it leaves his hands, it lasts 2 rounds/ level. At third level, such an object occupies no Word Slots if held by the Wordsmith. Items created by a Wordsmith are inherently otherwordly, odd or obviously without value. For objects that are normally not sold, such as a wall, or a boulder, the Wordsmith is restricted to the following limit: The object may not exceed 20lbs/level or 100 cu ft. (A 10x10x10ft. area)

Creatures: At third level, the Wordsmith can create creatures with his notebook. He can mimic any summoning spell(Summon Monster, Summon Nature's Ally, Summon Undead and the like.) with a level up to 1/2 his wordsmith level and a caster level equal to his Wordsmith level. The creatures created by this effect last for the normal duration(like the spell mimicked) and take up a slot depending on the spell mimicked. I-III take up one Slot, and IV-VI take up two Word Slots, and all others take up three.

Special Items: From level five onward, the Wordsmith can create minor magical items. He can make wands and scrolls as if he had the proper craft item feats. These object last only while in the Wordsmith's hands. He can create any magic item of up to 300gp/level in value. The caster level for the created items equal 1/2 the Wordsmith's level. Each such item occupies three Word Slots. These items disappear when they run out of charges. You need to invest an amount of xp equal to the cost of the item. If the item is erased or it's duration ends, the xp is returned. If the item is expended, like a wand or scroll, the xp is expended as if you had created a magic item normally. Wands created in such a manner only have 3 charges.

Greater Creatures: At level ten, the Wordsmith starts to understand the power of using other creatures. While he cannot control them, he can use them strategically. The Wordsmith can create creatures with a HD equal to his Wordsmith level +2. He does not have control over these creatures. He can place the creatures up to 100ft. away. He can attempt to command the Creature through other means, but this effect does nothing to control the creature. Each creature created occupies three Word Slots.

Erase Object: At first, all objects have a set duration, and occupy object space until time runs out. However, at second level, the Wordsmith can delete words early, causing them to completely disappear and no longer occupy Word Slots. Erasing an object takes a full-round action.

The Pen is Mightier than the Sword: While the Wordsmith does learn how to use the objects he can write in order to excel at combat, he also realizes that its impractical to switch between Pen and Sword. At second level, the Wordsmith treats improvised weapons normally used for writing as a shortsword, taking no penalties for using an improvised weapon.

Favorite Object: At third, tenth, and seventeenth levels, the Wordsmith has become habitual when it comes to using certain objects. He picks one object, whether it be a specific creature from the summon monster list, or a Wand of Fireball. Once each day, the Wordsmith can count the Favorite Object as using one less Word Slot than normal.

Bonus Feat: At forth and ninth levels, the Wordsmith gains any feat he meets the prerequisites for as a bonus feat.

Quickdraw: Starting at fifth level, the Wordsmith can write a word as a free action during their turn. They can only use this ability up to once each round.

Extended Word Duration: At sixth level, all the Wordsmith's words now last twice as long.

Adjectives!: Beginning at eighth level, the Wordsmith can augment their objects. Adjectives can be applied to any object created by the Wordsmith.

Adjective List:

1 Word Slot
Strong: A creature with this adjective gains +4 to strength and Constitution. An object with this adjective has +5 hardness.
Fast: A creature with this adjective gains +4 to Dexterity and +10ft. movement. This can also be applied to vehicles, which only gain the +10 movement.
2 Word Slots
Invisible: The Object or creature created with this adjective is invisible, as per the Greater Invisibility Spell. If applied to a piece of clothing and worn, it grants the effects of the spell to the wearer.
Living(Objects only): An object created with this adjective becomes an animate object, as per the Animate Objects spell.
Giant: The object or creature this adjective is applied to grows two size categories, maximum Huge.
3 Word Slots
X-Breathing: Choose one Energy type; Fire, Acid, Cold, or Electric. A creature with this adjective has a breath weapon that releases that type of energy in a 15ft. cone, dealing 5d6 damage. This breath weapon has a recharge of 1d6 rounds.
Flying: The creature with this adjective gains a fly speed of 20ft. Poor Maneuverability.
Burrowing: The creature with this adjective gains a burrow speed of 10ft.
4 Word Slots
Invincible: The object or creature with this adjective gains DR 10/ Magic and Fast healing 2.
Friendly: The creature with this adjective will not attack anyone unless attacked.
Special
You can apply a magic effect to a weapon or armor. That magic effect takes up slots equal to its bonus. So a +1 Longsword would take up one extra slot.

Emergency Word: Twice each day, a Wordsmith can write a word as an immediate action.

Permanent Creation: At eleventh level, the Wordsmith reaches their pinnacle achievement. The can allow Words to last indefinitely by having them count as twice as many Word Slots as normal.

Glitch: Once each day, the Wordsmith can take an extra turn as an immediate action. They cannot use this ability if flatfooted. If the Wordsmith uses this ability, they have a 10% chance of failing, and dealing 5d6 damage to themselves, and Erasing all the Words they currently have created.

Move Objects: As a move action, the Wordsmith can move any created object 5ft./level. If the object is a creature, it gets a will save to resist.

This Is My Domain: At fourteenth level, the Wordsmith selects one area, a city, a building, forest, or other identifiable separate space of up to 2sq miles. While in this space, the Wordsmith gains 4 temporary Word Slots. If the Wordsmith leaves the area, the Words created in those slots are Erased.

Create Level: At 15th level, the Wordsmith can alter existing terrain once per day. When they use this ability, they gain the ability to use Move Earth, Wall of Stone, Stoneshape, Woodshape and Create Water as Spell-Like Abilities at will for 1 hour with a caster level equal to 1/2 their Wordsmith level. The alterations made by this ability lasts until the ability is used again, at which point the area returns to its previous state. Also, the Wordsmith can spend 1000XP to mimic the Genesis Power instead of their normal ability to use Spell-Like Abilities. This still counts as a use of their Create Level ability.

Scribblenauts Unlimited:At 20th level, the Wordsmith's Objects can pass outside of 500ft. from the wordsmith, and have unlimited duration. In addition, the Wordsmith can make an opposed Will save upon creating a Creature to control it.

Waker
2012-06-18, 06:45 PM
This is very close to something I was thinking of just earlier today. Madara, are you following me?
Quick nitpicks
-For HD you just need d8, don't need the 1.
-You have Profession listed twice in skills.

The class looks very interesting and I'll be watching it's progress.

Madara
2012-06-18, 06:55 PM
This is very close to something I was thinking of just earlier today. Madara, are you following me?
Quick nitpicks
-For HD you just need d8, don't need the 1.
-You have Profession listed twice in skills.

The class looks very interesting and I'll be watching it's progress.

Changed. That's probably because I've been playing Scribblenauts a lot lately, ever since the E3 announcement :smallbiggrin:

I only have the original, not super, so I don't know much about the adjectives. If you could help, it'd be appreciated. Otherwise the class is done.

legomaster00156
2012-06-18, 06:57 PM
... I want to playtest this. Obviously, my name will be Maxwell.

Madara
2012-06-18, 07:07 PM
... I want to playtest this. Obviously, my name will be Maxwell.

I'm thinking of adding it to my setting, which would include the PbP playtest I'm starting up. However, I think this class may be higher than T3, so we'll see.

Waker
2012-06-18, 07:41 PM
Sorry, I never actually played the game, so I'm not overly familiar with the rules. When I said it was similar to something I was thinking, my basic idea was an Artist class who would paint something into existance.
I am willing to help flesh out ideas though.

Anyways, you might want to find some ways to limit the potential abuse of making items. As an example, you might have a pc make a mundane but expensive item and then attempt to sell it off, only for it to disappear after they leave. Consider making a descriptor that any items created by a Scribblenaut are inherently otherwordly, odd or obviously without value.
Magic items created by a Scribblenaut should read "These object last only while in the Wordsmith's hands or until expended" because as it stands he could keep using a Scroll of Gate (hyperbole but still) over and over. Maybe consider the use of a Spellcraft check or something similar to determine if you can actually duplicate the item.

Madara
2012-06-18, 07:51 PM
Sorry, I never actually played the game, so I'm not overly familiar with the rules. When I said it was similar to something I was thinking, my basic idea was an Artist class who would paint something into existance.
I am willing to help flesh out ideas though.

Anyways, you might want to find some ways to limit the potential abuse of making items. As an example, you might have a pc make a mundane but expensive item and then attempt to sell it off, only for it to disappear after they leave. Consider making a descriptor that any items created by a Scribblenaut are inherently otherwordly, odd or obviously without value.
Magic items created by a Scribblenaut should read "These object last only while in the Wordsmith's hands or until expended" because as it stands he could keep using a Scroll of Gate (hyperbole but still) over and over. Maybe consider the use of a Spellcraft check or something similar to determine if you can actually duplicate the item.

I'm definitely going to do that.:smallsmile:

He still has to make the UMD check in order to use it, also under "Special Items"

These objects last only while in the Wordsmith's hands.

And the scroll would be expended wouldn't it? I would think the normal rules apply, but I want to make sure.

Waker
2012-06-18, 08:00 PM
Perhaps I should have used a wand as an example. By the rules a wand doesn't disappear after the charges are expended, it's still physically there.

Madara
2012-06-18, 08:05 PM
Perhaps I should have used a wand as an example. By the rules a wand doesn't disappear after the charges are expended, it's still physically there.

In which case its wasting their word slots since it has no charges :smallsmile:

but I'll change it

lorddrake
2012-06-18, 08:34 PM
Is it missing weapon and armor proficiencies or are they proficient only with pens?

Madara
2012-06-18, 08:34 PM
Is it missing weapon and armor proficiencies or are they proficient only with pens?

It is missing proficiencies :smallredface:

legomaster00156
2012-06-18, 08:50 PM
How does one calculate save DC's for scrolls and wands the Wordsmith creates?

Waker
2012-06-18, 09:41 PM
Ok, I'm back. Got a few more questions and comments now that I'm taking a closer look at the class.
Magic Notebook: Do the effects of Magic Notebook count as SLA, Su or something else? Are effects created by scribbling supressed in an anti-magic field?
Special Items: If my understanding of how the Word Slots is correct, a lvl 20 Scribblenaut could effectively create up to 5 scrolls possessing up to a 5th lvl spell (20th Scribblenaut/2=10th level caster), use them all to regain his Word Slots and then repeat as much as he wants? Am I understanding that correctly? If so, you might want to put a cap on that. I realize by level 20 the game is already in super rocket-tag, but infinite 5th level spells is still nice.
I note that in Special Items you specify he can make wands and scrolls, are you planning on including other items, like weapons and armor? I think that wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Madara
2012-06-18, 09:50 PM
How does one calculate save DC's for scrolls and wands the Wordsmith creates?
Int-based, I'll add that to the description.

Special Items: If my understanding of how the Word Slots is correct, a lvl 20 Scribblenaut could effectively create up to 5 scrolls possessing up to a 5th lvl spell (20th Scribblenaut/2=10th level caster), use them all to regain his Word Slots and then repeat as much as he wants? Am I understanding that correctly? If so, you might want to put a cap on that. I realize by level 20 the game is already in super rocket-tag, but infinite 5th level spells is still nice.
I note that in Special Items you specify he can make wands and scrolls, are you planning on including other items, like weapons and armor? I think that wouldn't be a terrible idea.
I suppose. He's still limited by the value of the scrolls, and he has limited actions. As for the Weapons and armor, that comes into play under adjectives.

legomaster00156
2012-06-18, 09:54 PM
X-Breathing: Choose one Energy type; Fire, Acid, Cold, or Electric. A creature with this adjective has a breath weapon that releases that type of energy in a 15ft. cone, dealing 5d6 damage.
How often can this breath weapon be used?

Waker
2012-06-18, 10:09 PM
I suppose. He's still limited by the value of the scrolls, and he has limited actions. As for the Weapons and armor, that comes into play under adjectives.

I see. My concern for this isn't abuse in combat, but rather the out of combat actions that are available.
Take for example a 6th level Scribblenaut, he can duplicate the effects of a 3rd level Wizard through the use of scrolls and wands. Because making a magic item doesn't cost anything, the only resource he is using is time, in this case 1 round. Meaning that he can at pretty much all times, ensure the entire party is under the effects of Spider Climb (30 mins), Darkvision (3 hrs), Blurred (30 min), Levitation, all doors are opened with Knock, all secret doors are found with Detect Secret Doors and tons of stuff outside of Core that I'm not gonna bother looking up.
That's what I'm trying to get at with the creation effects. I think it's a real cool idea, but if you don't limit it, people will do stuff like that. I'd say that for magic items, you need to invest an amount of xp equal to the cost of the item. If the item is erased or it's duration ends, the xp is returned. If the item is expended, like a wand or scroll, the xp is expended as if you had created a magic item normally.

Madara
2012-06-18, 10:18 PM
What if the spell effects end when the object is erased? So buffs would end, unless you let it fill up your slots. I'd need to change the objects disappearing when used though...

Waker
2012-06-18, 10:27 PM
What if the spell effects end when the object is erased? So buffs would end, unless you let it fill up your slots. I'd need to change the objects disappearing when used though...

Has potential, but what about effects with an instantaneous duration? What if he uses it to duplicate a scroll of cure, he teleports, makes a spell permanent, or utility stuff like knock or the divination spells?

Madara
2012-06-18, 10:56 PM
I changed it to what you said. I'm gonna keep thinking about that one...but it'll work for now.

Eldest
2012-06-18, 11:16 PM
I'd suggest having the buffs instead come from the adjectives. Not sure how to write up what I'm thinking of, though, I'll try in the morning.

Waker
2012-06-18, 11:17 PM
Here is something I was gonna say earlier, but I kept forgetting. Under Equipment it says that you can create any nonmagical object, you might want to consider limiting on size and location as well, in addition to the cost as you've already done. Otherwise every solution for a lazy Scribblenaut is that "Rocks Fall, everyone dies." since rocks are technically free. I'd say put in a limitation on size like Xlbs/level, 5ft cube/level and state that objects created must be put on a stable surface that can support the weight...Even if the idea of dropping an anvil on the lich's head is hilarious.
Assuming you do decide to have the Scribblenaut go the BFC (since it would be fun and easy to do) you might want to put the rules for avoiding damage/entangled/caged/whatever. Probably something like 10+Lvl/2+Int for a Reflex save. An example would be a lvl 6 Scribblenaut with Int 18 wants to glue an opponent to the ground. To avoid being entangled the opponent would make a Reflex save DC 17 (6/2=3+4+10). If the opponent tries to break free of the glue by force, he might have to make a Strength check against the same listed DC...unless the glue was modified by an Adjective.

Madara
2012-06-19, 12:53 PM
Updated. I'm trying to figure out what Tier this would be in....its really hard to peg. Maybe T2. If I compare it to a Wizard, its not as strong because it lacks many tricks. But on the other hand, it has a large amount of flexibility.

Waker
2012-06-19, 01:34 PM
I would think it would be Tier 3 or maybe Tier 2. It has a great deal of flexibility, with most of it focused on BFC and Utility. They could also make decent warriors with the right choice of Words and equipment.

Madara
2012-06-19, 01:42 PM
Yeah, They have the flexibility, I just think they don't quite have the power to be T1. So probably high T3 like you said.

Also, I've realized, this class doesn't rely on stats at all. None of their class features are based on their stats. :smalleek:

I don't think its a problem, though. I might add a bit more to the class, but I think for now its pretty much done.

legomaster00156
2012-06-19, 01:53 PM
Well, the INT-based saves make INT important. But other than that, yeah, they're basically Summoners. They let their allies' stats do the work for them.

Madara
2012-06-19, 01:58 PM
Well, the INT-based saves make INT important. But other than that, yeah, they're basically Summoners. They let their allies' stats do the work for them.

That's one of the important things to remember, they do not control their greater critters. So they are summoners at low level, but they take on a great deal of risk to gain a large amount of power.

Waker
2012-06-19, 02:05 PM
For the Adjective Special can a Wordsmith add enchantments that aren't strictly enhancement bonuses like Keen or Defending? I assume they would expend a number of Words equal the the equivalent enhancement, but what about enhancements that simply cost money to add like Slick (+3750gp)?
And the class is very independent of ability scores and even skills, since the class demands little in the way of requirements. Maybe I keep missing it though, but did you actually add the part about Int-based save DCs? I don't seem to see it in the original post.

Madara
2012-06-19, 02:28 PM

That's one of the important things to remember, they do not control their greater critters. So they are summoners at low level, but they take on a great deal of risk to gain a large amount of power.

For the Adjective Special can a Wordsmith add enchantments that aren't strictly enhancement bonuses like Keen or Defending?

Yes.

but what about enhancements that simply cost money to add like Slick (+3750gp)?

They can't do so. There have to be some restrictions.

Maybe I keep missing it though, but did you actually add the part about Int-based save DCs? I don't seem to see it in the original post.

I'm not sure how to word it or where to add it..

legomaster00156
2012-06-19, 02:53 PM
Oh, yeah. I would make the Summon Monster X line scale by 1/2 level, instead of 1/3 level. I mean, they only get Summon Monster IX by level 18, when Sorcerers are finally getting 9th-level spells. It's hardly broken. If you need to, though, you could make Summon Monster VII-IX take up 3 Word slots.

Madara
2012-06-21, 02:36 PM
Oh, yeah. I would make the Summon Monster X line scale by 1/2 level, instead of 1/3 level. I mean, they only get Summon Monster IX by level 18, when Sorcerers are finally getting 9th-level spells. It's hardly broken. If you need to, though, you could make Summon Monster VII-IX take up 3 Word slots.

I will change that, thanks for the input.

Durazno
2013-02-09, 10:42 PM
Can "This Is My Domain" be applied to something mobile, like a boat or airship?

Could "X-Breathing" also let the creature sustain itself by breathing X? I mean, could I make a Water-Breathing Rhino to smash Atlantis or a Fire-Breathing Griffon that can survive in the Elemental Plane of Fire?

There are cases where negative adjectives may be useful as well - if you have a Beguiler in the party or you're an Unlimited Scribblenaut, for instance, you might want to draw up a Weak-Willed Beblith.

Madara
2013-02-09, 11:10 PM
Can "This Is My Domain" be applied to something mobile, like a boat or airship?

Could "X-Breathing" also let the creature sustain itself by breathing X? I mean, could I make a Water-Breathing Rhino to smash Atlantis or a Fire-Breathing Griffon that can survive in the Elemental Plane of Fire?

There are cases where negative adjectives may be useful as well - if you have a Beguiler in the party or you're an Unlimited Scribblenaut, for instance, you might want to draw up a Weak-Willed Beblith.

That's an interesting concept. The problem is, I can see a fair amount of abuse, but it would also be cool to see it used that way.

As for the second, I would probably make that a separate ability.

That's true, negative adjectives could be useful. Right now, this class is high tier 2, so I'm being careful about adding too many new options. So I might make a new grouping of adjectives unlocked with a feat.