PDA

View Full Version : Battle Mage: Redux! (Kenneth's version)

ngilop
2012-06-18, 07:24 PM
Hello all :), I posted a question on the d20 forums and unfortuneatly it boiled down to certain indivuals not paying attention to the topic and other less nice actions.

what I set out to do was to figure out how to make the War-Mage "tier' 3 so I came to the homebrew forums and luckily for me this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236469) lead me to this class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219065) and I actually read the whole thing this time.

unfortunately the thread is long past the new posts date so I cannot give any advice, So i decided to add in a couple of helpsful additions and re-present the class hopeing that in the end it is 'teir' 3 with a focus on blasting

so without further ado, here is the cleaned up version of Kenneth's Battle-Mage, which i hope is sitting nicely in the "tier' 3 lane of traffic.

Battle Mage
Info: Battle Mages are the undisputed masters of destructive magic, especially those spells that directly deal damage to a foe. A Battle Mage can, burn, shock, freeze, stun, or smash a foe with arcane power and do so more readily than any other spell caster.

In some cultures Battle Mages are among the most respected of arcane spell casters. In others they are considered wild canons, tolerated only because of their usefulness in times of war. Battle Mages in all nations have a reoputation for being brash, wild, and hot -headed. In truth Battle Mages are no more or less quick to anger than members of any other class. The difference being that when a Battle Mage gets angry, something generally gets blown up.

Adventures: Battle Mages are driven by a desire to learn things not found by in any library or school. They often set out to search through ruins, dungeons and lost cities in hope of finding some scrap of lore that was previously lost. Many also search endlessly to discover what spells are best used against specific creatures. Unlike other arcane spell casters, this information is not simply of academic interest to a Battle mage, for his offensive options are so vast that a Battle Mage needs to know when it is best to have a selection of damaging spells and when just one is sufficient and useful, thus allowing him to leave other spell slots open.

Characteristics: Like most arcane spell users, Battle Mages are defined primarily by the spells they know and how they use them. A careful Battle Mage who prepares his spells thoughtfully is a force to be reckoned with. A truly rash Battle Mage is likely not to live long against capable opponents, even though his death might be spectacular. A Battle Mage has more offensive spells available to them than any other class, which also means they have more ways to go through their spell selection in combat than nay other class. A wise Battle Mage quickly learns what creatures are most resistant to each spell.

Alignment: Battle Mages are usually some form of Chaotic, as the discordant mind is more likely to understand such things as the wild nature of fire and the unpredictable force of thunder. In many ways this sets Battle Mages apart from other arcane spell casters, who tend to be more evenly distributed among the differencing alignments. They can be of any moral code, however, equal number of good, neutral, and evil Battle mages exist.

Other Classes: Battle Mages are among the most powerful. But also among the most vulnerable. A Battle mage has average hit points, inability to use armor, and few defensive magics. As a result, Battle Mages almost always travel with a group. This allows the Battle mage time and security to cast the spells he needs to destroy his opponents. Battle Mages generally learnt o come good team players, and their high intelligence usually makes them effective leaders.

Role: The Battle Mage’s spell selection has already determined his role. He is the ranged magical artillery military troops rely or, or the center of an adventuring company’s offensive arcane might. An adventuring company with a Battle Mage should consider having another spell caster, to compliment the Battle Mage’s offensive focus with a more defensive and utilitarian abilities.

\n\n\t
[tr]
Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special

[td]1st
+0
+1
+0
+2
Battle Mage’s Edge, Bonus Feat, Familiar

2nd
+1
+1
+0
+3

3rd
+1
+2
+1
+3
Advanced Learning

4th
+2
+2
+1
+4
Sudden Meta Magic

5th
+2
+2
+1
+4
Bonus Feat, Spell Reinforcement

6th
+3
+3
+2
+5
Intense Magic I, Advanced Learning

7th
+3
+3
+2
+5
Sudden Meta Magic

8th
+2
+3
+2
+6
Energy Gestalt

9th
+4
+4
+3
+6
Advanced Learning

10th
+5
+4
+3
+7
Intense Magic II, Sudden Meta Magic

11th
+5
+4
+3
+7
Bonus Feat

12th
+6
+5
+4
+8
Advanced Learning

13th
+6
+5
+4
+8
Sudden Meta Magic

14th
+7
+6
+4
+9
Intense Magic III

15th
+7
+6
+5
+9
Advanced Learning

16th
+8
+6
+5
+10
Sudden Meta Magic

17th
+8
+7
+5
+10
Bonus Feat

18th
+9
+7
+6
+11
Intense Magic IV, Advanced Learning

19th
+9
+7
+6
+11
Sudden Meta Magic

20th
+10
+8
+6
+12

Spells Per-Day

Level

[td]1st
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

2nd
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

3rd
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

4th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

5th
-
-
-
-
-
-

6th
-
-
-
-
-
-

7th
-
-
-
-
-

8th
-
-
-
-
-

9th
-
-
-
-

10th
-
-
-
-

11th
-
-
-

12th
-
-
-

13th
-
-

14th
-
-

15th
-

16th
-

17th

18th

19th

20th

Skills
The Battle Mage’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge: Arcana (Int), Knowledge: Architecture and Engineering(Int), Knowledge: Planar (Int), Knowledge: Tactics (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int)
Skill Points at 1st level
(2+Int Mod)X4
Skill Points for each additional Level
2+Int mod
Hit Die
1d6
Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Battle Mages are proficient with all simple weapons, in addition they also are proficient with the Hand axe, Short Sword, Long Sword, Battle axe, Short Bow, and War hammer, but not with any type of armor or shield. Armor of any type interferes with a Battle Mage’s movements, which can cause his spells with somatic components to fail.

Spells
A Battle Mage casts arcane spells which are drawn from the Battle Mage’s Limited spell list. A Battle Mage must choose and prepare his spells ahead of time (see below).
To learn, prepare, or cast a spell, the Battle Mage must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a wizard’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the Battle Mage’s Intelligence modifier.
Like other spell casters, a Battle Mage can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on the above table. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Intelligence score.
Though his Spell List may be limited, unlike a bard or sorcerer, a Battle Mage may know any number of spells off his list. He must choose and prepare his spells ahead of time by getting a good night’s sleep and spending 1 hour studying his spell book. While studying, the Battle Mage decides which spells to prepare.
A Battle Mage must study his spellbook each day to prepare his spells. He cannot prepare any spell not recorded in his spell book.
A Battle Mage begins play with a spell book containing all 0-level Battle Mage spells plus two 1st-level spells of your choice. For each point of Intelligence bonus the Battle Mage has, the spell book holds one additional 1st-level spell of your choice. At each new Battle Mage level, he gains two new spells of any spell level or levels that he can cast (based on his new Battle Mage level) for his spell book. At any time, a Battle Mage can also add spells found in other Battle Mage’s, or Wizard’s spell books, (provided they are also spells from the Battle Mage spell list) to his own.

Familiar{Ex}: A Battle Mage can obtain a familiar in exactly the same manner as a sorcerer, or Wizard can

Battle Mage’s Edge{Ex}: A Battle Mage is specialized in dealing damage with his spells. Whenever a Battle Mage casts a spell that deals hit point damage, he adds his Intelligence bonus (if any) to the amount of damage dealt in addition he adds an additional amount equal to every 2nd level of Battle Mage gained, this extra damage is of the same type used by the spell. For instance, if a 1st-level Battle Mage with 17 Intelligence casts magic missile, he deals 1d4+1 points of damage normally, plus an extra 3 points of damage due to his Intelligence bonus. The bonus from the Battle Mage edge special ability applies only to spells that he casts as a Battle Mage , not to those he might have by virtue of levels in another class. A single spell can never gain this extra damage more than once per casting. For instance, a fireball deals the extra damage to all creatures in the area it affects. However, if a 3rd-level Battle Mage casts magic missile and produces two missiles, only one of them (of the Battle Mage’s choice) gains the extra damage, even if both missile are directed at the same target. If a spell deals damage for more than 1 round, its deals this extra damage in each round. In addition Battle mage gains an addition bonus equal to his Intelligence bonus (if any) to his castings of Mage Armor or any of its incarnation per Battle Mage level. For instance, if a 1st-level Battle Mage with 17 Intelligence casts Mage armor he only gains a +1 bonus to the Mage Armor, only able to get the full +3 when he has reached 3rd-level as a Battle Mage

Bonus Feat: at 1st, 5th, 11th, and 17th level a Battle Mage gains a bonus feat. He may only choose one of the following; any Meta Magic Feat, Reserve feat, or from the following list: Arcane Defense, Arcane Mastery, Combat Casting, Eschew Materials, Greater Spell Focus, Greater Spell Penetration, Martial Study, Spell Focus, Spell Penetration, Weapon Focus.

Advanced Learning{Ex}: At 3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, and 18th level, a Battle Mage can add a new spell to his list, representing the result of personal study and experimentation. The spell must be a Sorcerer/Wizard spell of a level no higher than that of the highest-level spell the Battle Mage already knows. Or any spell of the Abjuration, Conjuration, or Evocation schools. Once a new spell is selected, it is forever added to that Battle Mage’s spell list and can be cast just like any other spell on the Battle Mage’s list.

Spell Reinforcement{Ex}: at 5th level and every 5th level afterwards a Battle Mage gains a +1 bonus to overcome Spell Reistance, at 20th level this ability allows his to take 10 on caster level checks to overcome Spell Resistance.

Intense Magic{Ex}: By means of this ability the Battle Mage increases the effectiveness of his combat spells. At 6th level any spell cast by the Battle Mage that inflicts damage gains a +1 bonus per die of damage, this extra damage is un-typed and so ignores any and all resistances and immunities. At 10th level this bonus increases to +2 and at 14th level to +3 and finally at 18th level to +4.

Sudden Meta Magic{Ex}: at 4th level and every three levels afterwards a Battle Mage can apply a meta-magic like effect to a spell he casts once per day. This functions as if the Battle Mage had applied the Meta Magic feat on the spell without altering the spells’ level. The following Meta Magic feats are the only ones that can be mimicked with this ability: Chain, Dazing, Entalnging, Empower, Extend, Enlarge, Lingering, Maximize, Quicken, Twin, or Widen. Each specific Meta Magic can only be selected with this ability once.

Energy Gestalt: The Battle mage gains this feat automatically at 8th level, even if he does meet the prerequisites.

Spell List
0 Acid Splash, Daze, Disrupt Undead, Detect Magic, Electric Jolt, Flare, Light, Ray of Frost, Read Magic.

1st Burning hands, Corrosive Grasp, Chill Touch, Grease, Hail of Stone, Ice Dagger, Magic Missile, Mage Armor, Magic Weapon, Orb of Acid, Lesser, Orb of Cold, Lesser, Orb of Electricity, Lesser, Orb of Fire, Lesser, Orb of Force, Lesser, Orb of Sound, Lesser, Ray of Flame, Shocking Grasp, Sleep, Shield, Sonic Blast, Summon Monster I, Targeting Ray, Wall of Smoke

2nd Battering Ram, Blades of Fire, Blast of Force, Blur, Continual Flame, Combust, Daze Monster, Electric Loop, False Life, Fireburst, Fire Trap, Flaming sphere, Fog Cloud, Frost Breath, Flame Dagger, Darkness, Ice Knife, Melf’s Acid Arrow, Mirror Image, Pyrotechnics, Protection From Arrows, Resist Energy, Scorch, Scorching Ray, Shatter, Spider Climb, Summon Monster II, Wall of Gloom, Web

3rd Acid breathe Bear’s Endurance, Bull’s Strength, Cat’s Grace, Chain Missile, Daylight, Disrupt Undead, Greater, Great Thunderclap, Eagle’s Splendor, Fireshield, Fox’s Cunning, flame Arrow, Fiend Blight, Gust of Wind, Hailstorm, Haste, Ice Lance, Lightning Bolt, Mage Armor, Greater, Mage Armor, Mass, Magic Weapon, Greater, Ring of Blades, Resonating Bolt, Reverse Arrows, Scintillating Sphere, Searing Light, Sleet Storm, Sound Lance, Stinking Cloud, Summon Monster III, Weapon of Energy

4th Arcane Sight, Blast of Flame, Blistering Radiance, Burning Blood, Defenestrating Sphere, Dragon Breathe, Evard’s Black Tentacles, Fly, Ice Storm, Force Missiles, Globe of Invulnerability, Lesser, Heroism, Orb of Acid, Orb of Cold, Orb of Electricity, Orb of Fire, Orb of Force, Orb of Sound, Summon Monster IV, Shout, Stone Shape, Thunderlance, Wall of Fire, Wall of ice, Wall of Sand, Wall of Water

5th Arc Lightning, Arcane Eye, Ball Lightning, Cloudkill, Cone of Cold, Cyclonic Burst, Dimension Door, Dispel Magic, Fire Shield, mass, Fireburst, Greater, Firebrand, Flamestrike, Prismatic Ray, Scry, Shroud of flame, Summon Monster V, Vitriolic Sphere, Wall of Iron, Wall of Force, Wall of Stone

6th Acid Fog, Acid Storm, Anti-Magic Shell, Blade Barrier, Chain Lightning, Contingency, Disintegrate, Fireseeds, Globe of Invulnerability, Otiluke’s Freezing Sphere, Prismatic Eye, Summon Monster VI, Tenser’s Transformation, True Seeing, Waves of Fatigue

7th Delayed Blast Fireball, Earthquake, Finger of Death, Ice Claw, Firestorm, Forcecage, Mordekainen’s Sword, Prismatic Spray, Prying Eyes, Power Word: Blind Sunbeam, Scintillating Pattern, Summon Monster VII, Stun Ray, Waves of Exhaustion

8th Anti-Magic Field, Bombardment, Dispel Magic, Greater, Horrid Wilting, Incendiary Cloud, Field of Icy Razors, Polar Ray, Lightning Ring, Prismatic Wall, Power Word: Stun, Shout, Greater, Storm Rage, Sunburst, Summon Monster VII

9th Black Blade of Disaster, Elemental Swarm, Implosion, Meteor Swarm, Prismatic Sphere, Power Word: Kill, Summon Monster IX, Wail of the Banshee

ngilop
2012-11-19, 07:42 PM
wow.. I found this haphazardly trying to find another long lost post of mine and noticed that there was a dearth of opinions on it. so that leads to me conclude the following possibilities

a) everybody dislikes this, but not enought o to say ' i hate htis its trash!!'

b) its too ho-hum and therefore not worhty of support nor detraction

c) I hit the nail on the head in regards to makign the warmage 'tier' 3 and you just do not care enough to say so.

d) it might be something personal/Im not a well known enough homebrewer.

e) I miss twinkies :frown:

ngilop
2013-01-23, 05:25 PM
I re-found this thread again.

and a tear came to my eye, I seem to have posted my last request for some critique when Hostess went under and the great and amazing Twinkie became no more.

How i do so miss those cream filled yellow cakes.

anyways.. what did or didn't I miss/hit ?

Xaotiq1
2013-01-23, 06:01 PM
Why a spell book? With this limited list, it would make sense for the character to simply know all the spells on the list; and be able to cast them when appropriate.

No Disable Device on the skill list? Sad.

Even the Warmage got casting in Light armor. Harsh taking that away. MAybe be able to add Battle Mage's edge to spells granting an AC bonus??

Familiar might be a bit of a hindrance on the battlefield. You may want to consider the Watchful Spirit class feature of the Wu Jen (CArc, 14)

Taking 10 on caster level checks comes waay too late. Should come no later than 10th level. Also, you could make the other bit less unwieldy by saying something like "Gains a bonus equal to 1/5th their Battle Mage level". You could use "character level to make it more multiclass friendly. Or you could boost it by saying the bonus is the character's Int mod + a scaling bonus ala the monk.

As written, you can use the "Sudden Metamagic" feature exactly 6 times, then never again. I think again the Wu Jen with its "Spell Secret" feature would be well adapted here. Heck, a lot of the spells on the Wu Jen lists would be super-groovy for this class to be able to access.

You know, if you're going to do a caster with a spellbook, maybe say that the Battle Mage can learn spells from other lists that come from the aforementioned schools? Just spit-ballin'.

IamL
2013-03-15, 06:09 AM
Sudden Meta Magic{Ex}: at 4th level and every three levels afterwards a Battle Mage can apply a meta-magic like effect to a spell he casts once per day. This functions as if the Battle Mage had applied the Meta Magic feat on the spell without altering the spells’ level. The following Meta Magic feats are the only ones that can be mimicked with this ability: Chain, Dazing, Entalnging, Empower, Extend, Enlarge, Lingering, Maximize, Quicken, Twin, or Widen. Each specific Meta Magic can only be selected with this ability once.

Really? Only six times?

ngilop
2013-03-18, 02:36 PM
Yeah, 6 times getting a free meta magic feat applied to your spell seems fine to me.

I guess there coule be a feat to nab extra sudden meta magic uses.