PDA

View Full Version : Creating a ruleset for a Sly Cooper themed Nuzlocke

PhantomFox
2012-06-18, 11:33 PM
Yes, I'm crazy. That's beside the point. But I want to run a Nuzlocke run on Black/White and turn it into a Storylocke with a Sly Cooper theme. But I need help with the ruleset and a bit of the story full to make it feel more like Sly Cooper.

Additional rules (so far)
- Pokemon are not caught wild, but 'stolen' from one trainer per route, in addition to each gym leader.
(Trainer of my choice? Random trainer? Random pokemon from chosen trainer?)
- Fainted pokemon are 'arrested'.

Fluff:
Since this is a written story format nuzlocke, I can get away with a few things I couldn't otherwise.
- Carmelita and Constable <name pending> are the two rivals.
- Ultimate goal is to raid the ruins in Undella town (perhaps after beating Cynthia there?)
- Gym Leaders are under the control of Plasma? Redefine Plasma goals?
- Each 'chapter' from gym to gym needs to be heist themed. Ideas for each gym heists needed.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DiscipleofBob
2012-06-21, 08:33 AM
Yes, I'm crazy. That's beside the point. But I want to run a Nuzlocke run on Black/White and turn it into a Storylocke with a Sly Cooper theme. But I need help with the ruleset and a bit of the story full to make it feel more like Sly Cooper.

Additional rules (so far)
- Pokemon are not caught wild, but 'stolen' from one trainer per route, in addition to each gym leader.
(Trainer of my choice? Random trainer? Random pokemon from chosen trainer?)
- Fainted pokemon are 'arrested'.

I don't know much about Sly Cooper, but here's my two cents:

How do you plan to get said Pokemon of a trainer? I know there's probably a cheat somewhere, but just keep in mind that once you catch a Pokemon with said cheat, the battle's over. No fighting the rest of the other trainer's team. For that reason, I'd say first trainer on any given route, or ignore the route thing and go first of each trainer class, with an exception made for gyms so you can grab the gym leader's last Pokemon instead of random gym trainer X's, if nothing else but for the novelty of using the gym leaders' trained Pokemon in battle.

As for the heist theme, some narrative suggestions:

Forgive me, I can never get the town names straight in BW.

1st Gym: The five-star restaurant is known for charging exorbitant amounts per plate. Sly could either raid the safe here full of cash, or maybe he just wants to shake down the owners for any juicy gossip they might've overheard from their customers.

2nd Gym: Museum heist. Duh.

3rd Gym: Sly is attempting some corporate esponiage when he falls into a bizarre honey-themed trap. Perhaps a result of an underground drug trade?

4th Gym: With all the Stadiums and Theaters, there's bound to be quite the jackpot located here. The only problem is that Sly's targets are starting to get on to him, and he has to take on Elesa in a bizarre roller coaster battle.

5th Gym: Where else could Sly go to get a pure, uncut diamond then from deep within the mines?

6th Gym: Some very valuable cargo is arriving by plane, and Sly is going to make sure that it never reaches baggage claim.

7th Gym: With promises of information regarding a secret treasure, Sly is lured into a trap in a strange ice cavern.

8th Gym: If it's Black, you could be looking to steal some cutting-edge technology from the futuristic city, or refluff the story to say this is where you find the X Dragon Orb.

Elite Four: Well, N does spawn a gigantic castle-mansion for you to raid.

PhantomFox
2012-06-21, 06:55 PM
Well, the 'steal' of pokemon is mostly thematic. All trainers use mostly local pokemon, so finding them afterwards isn't too much of a hassle.

And thanks for the heist ideas, although I had spent some time coming up with my own after I had posted, I still have the problem of making the in-game heroic gym leaders villains. I think I can use some of your ideas and adapt them into reasons that they are criminals, or just use some of them straight up.