PDA

View Full Version : Druid PrC Advice

Corwin_of_Amber
2012-06-19, 12:20 AM
What PrC would you recommend for a Druid that plans to focus on party-buffs and BFC, doesn't care about Wildshape, and is taking the Urban Companion ACF?

I had considered Holt Warden, because it gives you a set of domain slots (but you only need one level to get these), then a dip into Contemplative. Am I correct in assuming that the extra slots granted by Holt Warden can be used for domain spells other than those from the plant domain?

eggs
2012-06-19, 12:44 AM
Moonspeaker's biggest costs are giving up animal companion progression and stunting wild shape. I'd go with that.

Kalaska'Agathas
2012-06-19, 01:49 AM
It's OP, it's got full AC and Wildshape progression, but have you considered the Planar Shepherd? 'Cause even without flowing time nonsense, you can pick up some tasty SLAs (and spellcasting, since it technically defaults to Ex: and you pick up Ex:, YMMV) with Magical Beast/Outsider forms which can definitely expand your buff/BC options.

And yes, as far as I'm aware, Holt Warden's Domain Slots are perfectly valid slots for domains other than Plant.

killianh
2012-06-19, 04:08 AM
Off the top of my head I would suggest grabbing a few arcane levels and getting either fochluran lyrist (with bard) or Arcane Hierophant (sorc?)

A fun buff build I had was Druid 3/Sorcerer 1/Mystic Theurge 6/Arcane Hierophant 10.

WinWin
2012-06-19, 06:44 AM
Elemental Archon has a few tricks associated with it, though it does sacrifice caster levels. Works better thematically with the elemental companion ACF and planar druid sub levels IMHO.

Stormcaster loses one caster level, but has a lot of front-loaded abilities that assist with battlefield control. Especially if you want to double up on Borne of Three Thunders or apply them to a more diverse array of spells.

Mystic Wanderer and Spelldancer might be worth checking out.

Talontar Blightlord and Forest Master are other Realms PrCs, though the main benefits of the classes are for melee (Blightlord can expert some control or minion mancy through their abilities though).

Vermin Lord is worth mentioning, only because becoming a hivemind allows for unparralelled battlefield control. The class is somewhat underwhelming before that though.

imneuromancer
2012-06-19, 11:05 AM
Druid 20 with the right spell choice

Snowbluff
2012-06-19, 12:14 PM
Druid20 is good. Most PrCs gimp it. That being said, if it ain't Planar Shepard or Arcane Hierophant, you're doing it wrong.

Elric VIII
2012-06-19, 01:03 PM
Well, the OP says he doesn't want Wildshape and his AC option is on par with a familiar. That really makes Druid 20 a less valuable option. Honestly, I think people are way too enamored with Wildshape and AC anyway. They are good, but unless you dedicate s large chunk of your build to them you will just be 2 extra Fighters without feats or proper equipment. A player in a campaign I am running is learning that Druid is only an "I win" button in low-op (and I have had to buff his AC with free templates because even a Magebred Ghost Tiger isn't that great against competent foes). So I commend the OP on his choice of a different Druid.

With that little rant out of the way...

Holt Warden 10 is decent for a buffer. You get full casting, some information-gathering utility, and a Heal ability a few times per day. The big thing about this class is that it is essentially free to enter for a Druid, unlike other classes that waste your feats on crap (WotC seems to love doing this).

If you're taking levels in Holt Warden anyway, you can qualift for Sovreign Speaker from Faiths of Eberron (since you now have domain access). This class can grant you a bunch of domains to give you plenty of good BFC and buff spells.

For some Bard flavor, you can go Bard 1/Druid 4/Green Whisperer 5 (Dragon 311)/Fochlucan Lyrist 10. That will give you 16th level bardic music and casting. You can increase the music to 20th level with the Chaos Music feat.