PDA

View Full Version : Space Pirates And Zombies (S.P.A.Z.)

Cikomyr
2012-06-19, 09:48 AM
I just saw this little game on sale at Gamersgate, and I was wondering if anyone played it, how fun was it?

Is it one of those "freelancers" rpg, like Privateers/Space Rangers 2?

Weezer
2012-06-19, 11:39 AM
It's a pretty fun game, though not amazing. Bought it for a few bucks (5 max) during a steam sale and it was definitely worth it. A good top down space shooter.

Domochevsky
2012-06-19, 06:37 PM
Yeah, i played it a while ago, but didn't finish it due to it getting pretty tedious near the end and having some balance issues (missiles, yo) and unfortunate deisgn decisions (like the size of your mothership and its hangars being determined by your progress through the storyline). I think patches have tweaked a whole lot (and added bounty hunters) of this though and they're still working on more. So i'll check back into it at some point.

Gameplaywise it is indeed mostly a topdown shooter. You aren't really ferrying ressources from system to system. As far as ressources go there's only Rez (the magic material everyone's after. Your money and building material), Goons (staffing your ships or selling them into slavery) and Research (for levelups). To get more of all of these you fight. Rez can be gotten at mining stations, blasting them out of giant rocks and ferrying them back to your beacon. (Or just sitting there and letting your AI partners take care of that while you make a sandwich.)

New tech for your ships (which are mostly customizable via mount points) can be bought at research stations or by looting the wrecks of other ships (to be able to build these ship types). You need levels in the apropriate tech line to make use of most of this stuff though. No advanced stealth systems for you if you only put points into reactors or beam weaponry.

It certainly is entertaining overall and worth getting on sale. :smallsmile:

factotum
2012-06-20, 01:33 AM
It's a very good game. I can't play it these days because Starfarer has so much better top-down space combat that SPAZ feels a bit weak now, though!