PDA

View Full Version : Building a Totemist(E6)

Loki_42
2012-06-19, 01:10 PM
Hi, everyone.

I will be in an upcoming E6, and I feel that I'd like to play a Totemist. I've never played or built one before, nor do I have much experience with Incarnum, but I read through Magic of Incarnum and the Totemist handbook, so I think I've got the basics down. I am thinking of using Water Orc as my base if the DM allows it, probably regular orc if not. I'd like to be a solid tank, as well. My main question is whether losing a level of Totemist would be worth it for losing a level or two of Totemist for Barbarian. Even though I can't go Totem Rager, what with it being E6 and all, Barbarian still nets me a d12 Hit Die, better BAB, Pounce without Landshark Boots, and opens up Cobalt Rage. Is all of that worth losing the extra point of Essentia and the extra Chakra Bind? If it's worth that, is it worth losing the Crown, Feet, and Hand Chakras?

Please respond, and if you have any other useful advice, I'd be glad to hear it:smallsmile:

Piggy Knowles
2012-06-19, 03:47 PM
Being stuck with only one chakra bind is tough. That means you'll basically just have your totem bind and nothing else.

Honestly, if you don't take that sixth level, there's not really a huge advantage to picking up more than two levels in Totemist - two levels gives you your totem bind and access to all your soulmelds. You can pick up more essentia from feats if you need it. That being said, I think that Totemist 6 would make for a fine E6 build.

Fouredged Sword
2012-06-19, 05:41 PM
I would suggest totemist 2 / barbarian 1 / Shape shifting Druid 3 actually. A spirit lion totem barbarian will grant the much needed pounce to complement your many attacks. Shapeshifting Druid grants an extra natural attack and a good strength boost attached to some natural armor. Access to 2nd level druid spells is also nothing to ignore. All this also stays withing the connected to nature theme. Be a water orc and you are rocking some massive melee damage without much problems. You don't really need a good wisdom (shapeshifting prevents casting in combat, save it for utility all you need is a 12)

+4 for shapeshifting, +4 for rage, +4 for water orc, +4 for casting bulls strength. You are good to go.

Also, pick up sudden leap as a martial study feat. Get a pair of boots of Strideing and springing. It is great for mobility at low levels, rocking that +9 to jump checks (improved speed and flat bonus) with the ability to move the value of a jump check as a swift action. You are looking at +4 or more (stat), +9 ranks, +5 boots, +4 for increased speed (boots).

Moveing 22+1d20 feet as a move action is nothing to shake a stick at. Mix well with the jump spell (get practiced spellcaster) for 15 more feet of travel.

Loki_42
2012-06-19, 06:24 PM
Thanks for your responses, but I've reconsidered and think I'd like to focus on the Totemist for all six levels. The DM has expressed interest in low-power even beyond the realms of E6, and a simple build like Totemist 6 is solid while not groundbreaking. Thank you for all of your advice, though. Any other Suggestions?

Fouredged Sword
2012-06-19, 07:41 PM
Consider taking shape soulmeld for melds from other classes that you like. Impulse boots and thieves gloves come to mind.

the_archduke
2012-06-19, 08:46 PM
Barbarian is a waste on totemist. Look at the sphinx claws soulmeld you get... pounce with natural weapons... yummy

What race are you going to use? Warforged make very good totemists, especially in e6. You get a con boost, a natural attack, two more natural attacks through feats, and a ton of immunities.

Loki_42
2012-06-19, 09:39 PM
Well, not every race is available, due to the unique setting, which is essentially an Ice Age style world. So far the DM has okayed humans, halflings, orcs(but not Water Orcs:smallsigh:), and Goliaths. I decided to bite the lower point buy and grab Goliath, because he okayed Powerful Build equating to larger sized Natural weapons. And yeah, I decided against Barbarian, no matter how good Cobalt Rage sounds.

the_archduke
2012-06-19, 10:00 PM
There is a neanderthal race in Frostburn that is +2 str/con -2 dex/int iirc. It would definitely fit a ice age world.

Being Human is a waste in E6. A feat and 6 skill points... you can get those later on in the epic progression.

Can you use races from Magic of Incarnum? Skarn, duskling or azurin would work well.

Zonugal
2012-06-20, 05:06 PM
Thanks for your responses, but I've reconsidered and think I'd like to focus on the Totemist for all six levels. The DM has expressed interest in low-power even beyond the realms of E6, and a simple build like Totemist 6 is solid while not groundbreaking. Thank you for all of your advice, though. Any other Suggestions?

You made a good choice. Totemist 6 is going to be better than Totemist 5/Barbarian 1 just because of the extra chakra bind (and expanded essentia in your totem chakra).

What type of combat style are you looking at? In general you could go Power Attack, Leap Attack, Raptor School, ect... But that really pushes your guy in one direction. Thoughts?

Also, utility-wise what do you want the character to accomplish?