PDA

View Full Version : WoW Tinkers, Weirdness

hiryuu
2012-06-19, 04:28 PM
So. Reading through the World of Warcraft RPG and going over the Tinker class and rules for creating gizmos, I have a problem.

The system seems to assume the only thing I'll be making is robots, bombs, and guns, and has nothing in its guidelines lists for more extended effects, such as entangling targets or stunning them. There was never a FAQ published and I can't seem to find any discussion at all about them. So I ask, what sorts of prices are fair and how would I go about figuring out Tech Scores and prices for weird gizmos?

Zombulian
2012-06-20, 08:33 PM
this seems to be... about something other than D&D 3.5... Is the WoW rpg D20?

Invader
2012-06-20, 08:58 PM
this seems to be... about something other than D&D 3.5... Is the WoW rpg D20?

Yes there's a d20 WoW rpg.

Ivellius
2012-06-20, 10:06 PM
Hey, something I at which I can claim expertise! (Also, you made a good choice with the book.) For a short answer, I'm not sure there's an exact guideline, but you can compare with similar effects. Taking entanglement, for instance, I would look at a net as the base effect, say a base TS of 2 or 3. Add in range and other considerations as necessary. Stunning is a bit more powerful, but for only one round seems like a base TS of 2 or 3 as well. There's a free PDF called Even More Magic & Mayhem that has a somewhat updated chart, and replicating magical effects has a TS of 3 x spell level. Use that and you can probably find a comparison for almost anything you want.

If you can get a hold of other books, they almost always have technological devices in them that might give you other options.

If you were more specific on what you wanted to make, that also might help with some advice. As it is...I hope this helps.

Kadarai
2012-06-21, 02:11 AM
Try More Magic and Myhem. I recall some neat gismos in htere as well as some pandaren brews. THe gismos also are not limited to the ones described. i recall one that let;s you copy spell effects, so you can use it to create grenade-like weapons with similar effects

hiryuu
2012-06-21, 07:03 PM
Hey, something I at which I can claim expertise! (Also, you made a good choice with the book.) For a short answer, I'm not sure there's an exact guideline, but you can compare with similar effects. Taking entanglement, for instance, I would look at a net as the base effect, say a base TS of 2 or 3. Add in range and other considerations as necessary. Stunning is a bit more powerful, but for only one round seems like a base TS of 2 or 3 as well. There's a free PDF called Even More Magic & Mayhem that has a somewhat updated chart, and replicating magical effects has a TS of 3 x spell level. Use that and you can probably find a comparison for almost anything you want.

If you can get a hold of other books, they almost always have technological devices in them that might give you other options.

If you were more specific on what you wanted to make, that also might help with some advice. As it is...I hope this helps.

That is amazing! Managed to find and download the supplement. Thank you very much. Heh, the damage calculation in the core book even seemed wrong to me, nice to see that my guess as to what the correct TS should be was right.

The concept I was going for was a sort of a combination of Muslim alchemist and Greek inventor, interested in divining the source of life and refinement of the self through physical and spiritual trials (which, oddly enough, will include lots of automata. The visuals I'm going for are like some kind of unholy cross between Amano, Keith Thompson, and Jean Giraud). The GM pointed me at the Tinker class, and so I'm working on gizmos really only as they come up, and I can just flavor some of the gizmo parts as being grown and others forged or acid-floated.