PDA

View Full Version : I think I broke the game

fantomu
2012-06-19, 05:28 PM
To make a long story short CR 20 Baylor vs Lev 3 tempus twin scout, with 2 marbles of dust of dryness (holy water). Scout jumps behind Baylor (Time jumping) and smashes them to either side of its head (natural 20) for a whopping 3336 d4 of damage. Based on the weight of 1 gallon of water and the weight and damage of one flask of holy water weighing 1 lb and doing 2d4 dam. The problem that we are running into is how much XP. is it worth. I cant find a chart anywhere with the info on it.

Kazyan
2012-06-19, 05:33 PM
You're now level 4, 1 XP away away from level 5.

This (http://www.d20srd.org/extras/d20encountercalculator/) tool outright says the encounter is "unbeatable". Good show.

Pyromancer999
2012-06-19, 05:37 PM
To make a long story short CR 20 Baylor vs Lev 3 tempus twin scout, with 2 marbles of dust of dryness (holy water). Scout jumps behind Baylor (Time jumping) and smashes them to either side of its head (natural 20) for a whopping 3336 d4 of damage. Based on the weight of 1 gallon of water and the weight and damage of one flask of holy water weighing 1 lb and doing 2d4 dam. The problem that we are running into is how much XP. is it worth. I cant find a chart anywhere with the info on it.

Try an EXP calculator. Granted though, I don't think that will be likely to break the game often, as natural 20s aren't very common. However, I'd like to know:

1) What the heck happened to have your DM put you against a CR 20 creature at 3rd level?

And

2) How did you get your hands on 200 gallons of Holy Water?

vhfforever
2012-06-19, 05:37 PM
You missed something.

(from d20srd.org)
The dust affects only water (fresh, salt, alkaline), not other liquids.

Edit:
And even if, then...

(again, srd, Balor entry)
Death Throes (Ex): When killed, a balor explodes in a blinding flash of light that deals 100 points of damage to anything within 100 feet (Reflex DC 30 half). This explosion automatically destroys any weapons the balor is holding. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Boom. No xp for a deceased character.

Vladislav
2012-06-19, 05:47 PM
Sorry to poop the party, but I would not allow this. Total immersion in acid deals 10d6 damage per round, therefore no amount of acid flasks can deal more than that in one go. Same logic should apply to holy water.

EDIT: ah, and now I see it doesn't even work by RAW. Oh well.

fantomu
2012-06-19, 05:47 PM
Try an EXP calculator. Granted though, I don't think that will be likely to break the game often, as natural 20s aren't very common. However, I'd like to know:

1) What the heck happened to have your DM put you against a CR 20 creature at 3rd level?

And

2) How did you get your hands on 200 gallons of Holy Water?

I think he was supposed to be a big baddie that we get beat by off and on the antagonist throughout the game.

The holy water came as a result of in party fighting. One of the other players is playing a vamp. So after we got into it over a ship and its crew I wanted to make sure I had a way to deal with him. The water I bought from the different temples in Waterdeep on the DL.

fantomu
2012-06-19, 05:53 PM
You missed something.

(from d20srd.org)
The dust affects only water (fresh, salt, alkaline), not other liquids.

Edit:
And even if, then...

(again, srd, Balor entry)
Death Throes (Ex): When killed, a balor explodes in a blinding flash of light that deals 100 points of damage to anything within 100 feet (Reflex DC 30 half). This explosion automatically destroys any weapons the balor is holding. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Boom. No xp for a deceased character.

About the water thing if you take water and add salt its still water but salt water is listed.

Well he did scream for a bit almost the next whole scene. but i don't think that the DM knew about him exploding

vhfforever
2012-06-19, 05:54 PM
Yes, but it specifically lists salt water, not Holy Water (which apparently has five pounds of silver dust mixed in with it).

fantomu
2012-06-19, 06:04 PM
Yes, but it specifically lists salt water, not Holy Water (which apparently has five pounds of silver dust mixed in with it).

But only weighs 1 lb in a flask for 2d4 damage we are talking magic here not simple math. A pint of water weighs 1.1 lbs plus the 5 lbs silver is 6.1 lbs but a flask of it only weighs 1 lb.

vhfforever
2012-06-19, 06:06 PM
Yes, and if it were able to be sucked up in a dust of dryness, I'm sure it would have been spelled out.

But hey, your DM let you go it. Enjoy your free level.

sreservoir
2012-06-19, 06:08 PM
you're more than 8 CR apart. no exp. there are rules for this.

SowZ
2012-06-19, 06:23 PM
you're more than 8 CR apart. no exp. there are rules for this.

I think the more than 8 CR apart means no exp rule is for if you kill something 8 CR under you, not above. Anyway, you cannot level up twice for one action. So, at most, you are almost level 5. You would receive the same XP for killing something CR30.

Invader
2012-06-19, 06:32 PM
I'm still not sure just having a larger "potion" of holy water equates to more damage.

The rule for multiple vials each dealing damage separately is because in theory each one counts as one attack so when you're able to make more than one attack more damage is dealt.

Being completely submerged in acid was already been brought up as a metric for measuring damage from massive amounts of a splash weapon.

tyckspoon
2012-06-19, 06:36 PM
I think the more than 8 CR apart means no exp rule is for if you kill something 8 CR under you, not above. Anyway, you cannot level up twice for one action. So, at most, you are almost level 5. You would receive the same XP for killing something CR30.

There's a clause for 8+ above, too; it basically says 'if you survived this it was probably via act of god. Be grateful you didn't get TPK'd and don't bother your GM about XP/treasure from this encounter.'

SowZ
2012-06-19, 06:44 PM
There's a clause for 8+ above, too; it basically says 'if you survived this it was probably via act of god. Be grateful you didn't get TPK'd and don't bother your GM about XP/treasure from this encounter.'

Oh, interesting. Complete bullocks, though. I've had players totally legit kill things 9 CR above them through cleverness and tactics. What, they don't get XP for that because of a technicality because a meta-game stat says so? The GM has to say, "Oh, shoot, if only it had been just a little weaker you would have received XP!" And the treasure thing doesn't make sense, like, you aren't supposed to loot it or it's home?

Anyway, maybe it is a rule. It is a totally senseless and arbitrary one, though. If the rule wanted to say, "No XP for totally bull lucky kills," that would be one thing. But then it should apply to bizarre ways of killing things of equal CR, as well.

Invader
2012-06-19, 06:47 PM
Its been brought up as well that the PC would have died in the death throes so technically they wouldn't have got xp anyway. :smallconfused:

sreservoir
2012-06-19, 07:01 PM
Oh, interesting. Complete bullocks, though. I've had players totally legit kill things 9 CR above them through cleverness and tactics. What, they don't get XP for that because of a technicality because a meta-game stat says so? The GM has to say, "Oh, shoot, if only it had been just a little weaker you would have received XP!" And the treasure thing doesn't make sense, like, you aren't supposed to loot it or it's home?

Anyway, maybe it is a rule. It is a totally senseless and arbitrary one, though. If the rule wanted to say, "No XP for totally bull lucky kills," that would be one thing. But then it should apply to bizarre ways of killing things of equal CR, as well.

well, it's expected that you aren't supposed to be using +9 CR things as legitimate challenges.

Ranting Fool
2012-06-19, 07:08 PM
While I have nothing constructive to say I just thought I'd add

"Ha HA!"

Seems this wouldn't work RAW but I do wonder about the look on your poor DM's face when rolled that 20. :smalltongue: I have had my Players shock me when they leap across chasms at low level and knock off BBEG into an abyss

BTW, what page does it say you can't gain more than one level for an action? and does anyone have any idea how much damage being soaked in Lava would do?

Deadlights
2012-06-19, 07:10 PM
I vaguely remember seeing this exact same thread on /tg/ 2 or 3 years ago. I haven't touched 4chan is years now, but I am pretty sure that is where this came from.

I also vaguely remember the poster from that thread claiming he got the holy water for free from various temples, without the DM knowing so.

fantomu
2012-06-19, 07:15 PM
I vaguely remember seeing this exact same thread on /tg/ 2 or 3 years ago. I haven't touched 4chan is years now, but I am pretty sure that is where this came from.

I also vaguely remember the poster from that thread claiming he got the holy water for free from various temples, without the DM knowing so.

No its a new thread it just happened last Sunday and the reason I had the holy water is the 500 year old vamp that is in my party the reason that it is from more than one temple is because they would only donate 10gal each it was on the DL. from the party the DM knew everything that was going on he wanted to see what i would do when the vamp pushed me again on something

Deadlights
2012-06-19, 07:27 PM
No its a new thread it just happened last Sunday and the reason I had the holy water is the 500 year old vamp that is in my party the reason that it is from more than one temple is because they would only donate 10gal each it was on the DL. from the party the DM knew everything that was going on he wanted to see what i would do when the vamp pushed me again on something

Well, given the total cost of said materials, you didn't break the game, but your DM did by giving you an absurd amount of treasure for your level.

But yeah, you should've probably died from the aforementioned explosion caused by Baylor's death.

SowZ
2012-06-19, 07:41 PM
well, it's expected that you aren't supposed to be using +9 CR things as legitimate challenges.

Sure, but it can happen in the right situation. What about a fifth level rogue assassinating a 14th level fighter? What about constructing the environment in a way to kill a CR11 Golem? These are legit and not 'acts of a god.' It is silly that the rules say you will not get XP from things past a certain point just because. It is so internally inconsistent.

Invader
2012-06-19, 07:47 PM
Well, given the total cost of said materials, you didn't break the game, but your DM did by giving you an absurd amount of treasure for your level.

But yeah, you should've probably died from the aforementioned explosion caused by Baylor's death.

There's a whole list of things I think that preclude anything game breaking.

Dust of dryness actually working on holy water
Not dying from death throes
Actually ruling 1 attack does 3336d4 of damage when there's rules for submerging a creature in the same kinds of splash liquids deal a total 20d6 lava, (alchemist fire).

I would agree the only thing that was broken was the DM :smallamused:

marcielle
2012-06-19, 08:46 PM
Lol, reminds me about the time with a kraken and a ship full of gunpowder. I'd say if he was a BBEG, your DM probably knew about the blast and whatever excess xp you dont get after being 1 xp form 5 is the price you have to pay for him not mentioning it. Just be happy it was a balor and not something living. All that balor has to do is convince a wizard to summon him back to the mortal world and your game is back on track. And DON'T expect it to work again, btw.

SSGoW
2012-06-20, 05:36 AM
Not to rain on your parade buuut...

The Balor isn't dead thus no death explosion thussss he may be around any corner...

The balor just wanted you to think he died.

Have fun being paranoid!

crazyhedgewizrd
2012-06-20, 06:12 AM
Not to rain on your parade buuut...

The Balor isn't dead thus no death explosion thussss he may be around any corner...

The balor just wanted you to think he died.

Have fun being paranoid!

I vote for this. Look at that shadow it looks like Balor no it doesnt its just a tree.

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-20, 06:29 AM
Incompetent DM throws a balor on level 2 characters, doesn't understand the balor's abilities, doesn't know the rules for a magic item, doesn't understand the rules for experience.
You didn't break the game, you just told everyone in the forums how your DM is incompetent.

Ranting Fool
2012-06-20, 06:50 AM
Incompetent DM throws a balor on level 2 characters, doesn't understand the balor's abilities, doesn't know the rules for a magic item, doesn't understand the rules for experience.
You didn't break the game, you just told everyone in the forums how your DM is incompetent.

A tad harsh don't you think. Yes the DM gave away stuff that the player shouldn't have been able to afford and miss-ruled/didn't read all the rules. I see that as pointing to being very inexperienced rather than downright incompetent.

ericgrau
2012-06-20, 03:45 PM
Doesn't work for reasons stated.

If you found a legitimate way to cover the foe in holy water, it might do 20d4 if we use acid as the example.

Since (fresh, salt, alkaline) is meant as an explanation for "water", other types of water similar to the examples could likely be absorbed by dust of dryness. All 3 of those are forms of naturally occurring water, however, not magical or artificial.