PDA

View Full Version : Damage absorber

Balor01
2012-06-20, 05:43 AM
I want to stat this guy http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/cards/12274.jpg, starting with a single ability: damage absorption.

Hidetsugu was immensely tough, but also had access to many foul tricks most mortals did not know. So I would like some suggestions, how to make exceptionally tough brute besides:

- stacking HD
- increasing CON
- stacking DR
- stacking SR
- stacking a ton of immunities

... but still keeping him corporeal. I want a guy who gets hit by a speeding train and just gets up.

thanks

JeminiZero
2012-06-20, 05:48 AM
There's also regeneration, fast healing, and temp HP.

WinWin
2012-06-20, 05:58 AM
Sounds like some psionics may assist.

Vigor, (Hostile) Empathic Transfer, (Forced) Share Pain.

Some divine magic may assist as well. Shield Other, notably.

Arcanist
2012-06-20, 06:12 AM
I want to stat this guy http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/cards/12274.jpg, starting with a single ability: damage absorption.

Hidetsugu was immensely tough, but also had access to many foul tricks most mortals did not know. So I would like some suggestions, how to make exceptionally tough brute besides:

- stacking HD
- increasing CON
- stacking DR
- stacking SR
- stacking a ton of immunities

... but still keeping him corporeal. I want a guy who gets hit by a speeding train and just gets up.

thanks

The simplest way of doing this looks to be Delay Death in combination with Rage Class to let you effectively fight forever. Hidetsugu would be a Divine/Incarnum Theurge. We'll be using the Sapphire Hierarch which you can adapt any which way you'd like as he is a legendary creature I'd make him Epic level. Any levels gained after Sapphire Hierarch should be Malconvoker I suppose...

So his build is looking like:

Ogre/4RDH+2 Cleric/3 Totemist/2 Sapphire Haierarch/10 (Malconvoker/9)

Honestly, its been a while since I played Magic so sorry if I didn't quite capture the build you were looking for :smallfrown:

prufock
2012-06-20, 08:08 AM
Bind Dahlver-Nar for Shield Self, which allows you to take half damage, dealing the other half to a designated creature within 10 feet. If memory serves they don't get a save. Hurt me, hurt yourself. Natural armor bonus to boot.

Amulet of Retribution/Retributive Amulet: The BoED version (AoR) is more expensive (56K), but much better. You take half damage, the other half is reflected on the attacker. No save, no SR. Sacred armor bonus to boot!

The MIC version is cheaper (9K), but only works 3/day and no armor bonus.

There's some question as to whether the MIC amulet was meant to replace the BoED one. They have similar but different names, and similar effects.

Balor01
2012-06-21, 03:12 AM
@Arcanist

Could you explain what benefits would each class of this build give to our badass ogre?

Arcanist
2012-06-21, 03:21 AM
@Arcanist

Could you explain what benefits would each class of this build give to our badass ogre?

...What is there to explain? Turn Undead Divine casting as a 13th level Cleric (so access to 7th level spells) and the Meldshaping of a 12th level Totemist :smallconfused: not much to explain really...

Essence_of_War
2012-06-21, 06:31 AM
The incarnate has a neat soulmeld that lets you gain HP = to the number of essentia invested in the soulmeld * your meldshaper level.

Psion w/ Shared Pain+Vigor+Psicrystal + incarnate -> soul manifester seems like you could make him pretty hard to kill.