PDA

View Full Version : Living/sentient weapons

Balor01
2012-06-20, 05:45 AM
I'd like to get more info on those in 3.5. Where can I get some info?(which books?)

Any thoughts regarding intelligent weapons are also welcome.

thanks

Diovid
2012-06-20, 06:00 AM
Item Familliar: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm

Warforged (Races of Eberron).

Weapon Familliar (Races of Eberron, Warforged Artificer substitution level).

Arcanist
2012-06-20, 06:46 AM
Item Familliar: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm

Warforged (Races of Eberron).

Weapon Familliar (Races of Eberron, Warforged Artificer substitution level).

Item familiar and see if you can get your armor to be your familiar :smallamused: lets see them steal that from you and then take the Weapon Familliar Racial sub and get a 2nd Item familiar... See if you can get your Slam attack to be your Weapon familiar :smallamused:

Personally I don't very well care for Weapon Familiar Racial sub but eh if you can apply warning and other awesome weapon enchantments to it then hell yeah :smallamused:

Milo v3
2012-06-20, 07:15 AM
Here's the SRD page on intelligent items (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Intelligent_Items).
It's from DMG.

Psyren
2012-06-20, 07:37 AM
Though it's Pathfinder, the Bladebound Magus archetype has a pretty detailed write-up on how they can work. It's easy to port into 3.5 as well.

Wookie-ranger
2012-06-20, 09:41 AM
I thought of running/playing in a game centered around Intelligent items.
The interesting part is that the Players would not use the items, they would be the items. :smallcool:
Each player can choose a magic item to be their 'character'. A mace +2, a ring or feather falling, or something like it. Each one would have two or three special abilities. One of which would be a way to dominate the Host creature. Nothing too over powered like wish at will, but may be detect magic;10ranks in skillX; Cure light wounds; arcane eye; day light; detect thoughts; you get the idea.
Players would start with one host. But they can change it when ever they find something better, or the old one dies. May be even 'collect' and store various creatures to serve as hosts when the situation arises
At one point they could all share a body, one person is in the 'drivers seat' and chose the actions of the creature, the others would only be able to do mental actions; like their special abilities.

Psyren
2012-06-20, 10:05 AM
The interesting part is that the Players would not use the items, they would be the items. :smallcool:
Each player can choose a magic item to be their 'character'. A mace +2, a ring or feather falling, or something like it. Each one would have two or three special abilities. One of which would be a way to dominate the Host creature. Nothing too over powered like wish at will, but may be detect magic;10ranks in skillX; Cure light wounds; arcane eye; day light; detect thoughts; you get the idea.
Players would start with one host. But they can change it when ever they find something better, or the old one dies. May be even 'collect' and store various creatures to serve as hosts when the situation arises
At one point they could all share a body, one person is in the 'drivers seat' and chose the actions of the creature, the others would only be able to do mental actions; like their special abilities.

Nice idea. Maybe make them Legacy items, so there's some progression? They gain additional powers as the host levels, and with stronger Egos are able to take control more often.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-06-20, 05:19 PM
If your character is a Warforged, there's items call Docents that would be of particular interest to you.

Balor01
2012-06-21, 03:08 AM
I am actually asking this because i have 2 very experienced players in game that are utter strategic backbone of the party. The fact that others rely on them so much sort of pissed me off so much, that I said I'll have them playing as living weapons next campaign. To my surprise both were amused and very interested so I guess we can expect two talking, screaming, annoying, when-to-tumble and which-spells-to-cast advising weapons in the hands of noobish players in my next campaign.

Which is sort of cool, since a magic sword, owned by 10 warblades, 5 fighters, two dragons and a paladin over 1.500 years, should really have some experience.

lol

Tvtyrant
2012-06-21, 04:26 AM
Take a sword, cast Animate Object on it, make it permanent, cast Awaken Construct. Booom~! Living, sentient weapon. Since all of the relevant answers were already posted...

Wookie-ranger
2012-06-21, 06:05 PM
Take a sword, cast Animate Object on it, make it permanent, cast Awaken Construct. Booom~! Living, sentient weapon. Since all of the relevant answers were already posted...

nice idea.
but Awaken Construct specifies an 'humanoid-shaped construct ' so a sword would be out.
you can still use this trick with any type of statue though, like Adamantine Statues.

Prime32
2012-06-22, 10:21 AM
The interesting part is that the Players would not use the items, they would be the items. :smallcool:I've written some mechanics along these lines (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=5255).

ahenobarbi
2012-06-22, 11:23 AM
Isn
t that enough (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/fighter.htm) :smallwink: