PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Anime-ish feats of combat skill

BlueEyes
2012-06-20, 12:58 PM
In fighting anime or manga characters can do impossible or almost impossible things. Make a sword cut with supersonic speed, move so fast that they can't be seen, make paper thin cuts in very hard objects, etc.
Some of this things are easily reproduced in D&D, either through spells or martial maneuvers. But for some other things there are no straightforward options.

That's why I created this thread. It has three goals:
1. Come up with mechanical ways for doing the nigh impossible maneuvers you see in anime or manga (of course without resorting to TO).
2. Come up with reasonable refluffs of existing abilities to allow characters their cool maneuvers.
3. Apprise at what levels can characters do those things.

I have an example to get this thread going and I'd like you all to provide your own from anime or manga that you like (doesn't even have to be A or M per se, it's just most prevalent in those medias).

My example:
Cutting someones clothes without hurting them (no, not even leaving a scratch). (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppan4L2crcU)

Feralventas
2012-06-20, 01:55 PM
Taking a dip in Warblade or Swordsage seems pretty straight-forward to me...

I know you were looking for feats and things available to non spell and non maneuver abilities, but the Tome of Battle is often referred to as "The Book of Weaboo Fightan' Magic" for a reason.

That said, sunder attempts are usually easily-hit attack rolls followed by damage rolls, so a well optimized Fighter/Barbarian into Frenzied Berzerker (Complete Warrior) with an emphasis on Power Attack stacking and multiplying effects would be able to do tremendous amounts of damage and do things like cut through walls and pillars, or use a Ranged Sunder to do so and re-fluff the effect as taking out key points in a structure before it collapses under its own weight (Trigun).

I'm running a low-level Witch in a PF game with the White Haired Witch Archetype, and the DM allowed the use of single strands of hair rather than visible clumps as part of the attack rolls. While it doesn't have as much range, I can essentially deliver touch-range spells at reach distance, as well as attack and grapple with near-invisible limbs (see Black Cat, Hellsing, and Trigun yet again for examples of characters using very thin wires and cables as their primary means of attack).

Hunter Noventa
2012-06-20, 02:18 PM
I've been playing a Soulknife/Swordsage gestalt in PF, but the Soulknife (At least the version up on the SRD) on it's own is pretty awesome. You get a free magical weapon that you can change the enhancements on that you can't be disaared of, and the weapon can be anything. And it can be thrown. My own takes the form of gauntlets, so I'm effectively doing unarmed combat...but I can throw it, so I also have rocket fists.

Some of the other available abilities include a 'free' Whirlwind Attack, ability damage, and two weapon fighting.

Not to mention you're also Psionic, which allows you access to Psionic feats that let you move faster or run up walls and the like. It's not the best for multi-classing, since your weapon won't scale one you leave the class, but the versatility makes up for it.

Find a way to get more attacks and you can do something like this if you use gauntlets. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX469Ftb-m4)

Or take Bladewind and Bladestorm, and you could probably pull this off. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbAzgn_fTiM)

I'm also not sure how, but another played in the group found rules for constructs that work like power armor, and based his character around leading a team of them. So...we have a sentai team in our group. They haven't combined (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qhGkwMHz4Y) yet, but they can transform into planes and fire missiles. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxnC6jkJyEM)

Of course, we have a very forgiving GM sometimes, and the player constantly laments the madness he has brought into the campaign, but it's all good.

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-20, 02:27 PM
Undersong (spell) allows you to use Perform instead of Concentration for all purposes
Moment of Perfect Mind, Action Before Thought, Wall of Blades and I forgot the Con one - now your AC and saves can be replaced by a Concentration check.
Get ranks in Perform (weapon drill).

Your sword now cuts through everything. Fireballs, illusions, disease... everything.

BlueEyes
2012-06-20, 02:51 PM
I know you were looking for feats and things available to non spell and non maneuver abilities, but the Tome of Battle is often referred to as "The Book of Weaboo Fightan' Magic" for a reason.
No, I'm not. :smallconfused: I just mentioned spells and maneuvers as the the easiest to use. I didn't say you can't suggest them.

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-20, 03:45 PM
Also, Shadow Jaunt/Blink/Whatever is shunpo, plain and simple.
Warlock's Flee the Scene leaves an after image behind, like zanzoken.
Monk gets two feats in PHB2, I forgot the names, that are basically hadouken and shouryuken.