PDA

View Full Version : I need Good and Evil weapons. Help please?

Qwertystop
2012-06-20, 02:56 PM
Hi,
I'm going to be in a Level 10 campaign. I'm playing a True Neutral Arbiter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221399), and I had the idea of going TWF with one weapon that cannot be wielded by Good characters and another that cannot be wielded by Evil ones. I know that TWF is not the best of styles, but it's thematic in this case, and I have spells and class abilities to help. I was thinking maybe a Sunblade for the offhand weapon, since it has pretty good damage for one, and fills the Good slot. However, I can't find an Evil weapon.
EDIT: I seem to have misread the cost of a Sunblade. No way can I afford that. I need both an Evil and a Good.
So, what weapons would you advise? Cobbling effects together is fine. Not actually having an Alignment restriction is fine as long as it's thematic. I can use anything from the following books:
-PHB
-PHB II
-DMG
-MM I, II, II, IV, and V
-Complete Arcane, Divine, Adventurer, and Warrior
-Spell Compendium

On another note, any tips on feats and other equipment? I was thinking a couple of Immovable Rods for thematics and also versatility.

Khedrac
2012-06-21, 05:59 AM
if you want a decent weapon enchant not wieldable by certain alignements then simple is best:

Holy
Unholy
Anarchic
Axiomatic

All are +2 enchants, do +2d6 damage against the opposites alignments, and bestow a negative level if the opposite alignments try to wield them.

Note, Lilitu demons can wield Holy weapons without penalty.
Paladins with the Ordered Chaos feat can wield Anarchic weapons without penalty.

Telonius
2012-06-21, 07:59 AM
What's the level, and how much gold do you have available?

SSGoW
2012-06-21, 08:31 AM
One of my old DM's made a weapon that had all 4 on them (law/chaos and good/evil) on it as a quest item that we had to take to a king.

It was the sword of neutrality -_-;

But if you had a double weapon you could make one half Lawful/Evil Alligned and the other Chaotic/Good.

I can see a quarterstaff with one side with a sign for peace and the other side a scull...

killianh
2012-06-21, 08:38 AM
I'm going to assume that you have 49000 and are willing to spend about half of that on offence. That said at your current level the +2 enhancements listed so far would probably be best. If you can swing it I would try to get BoED and BoVD added to your book list even if its only allowed for weapons.

If they can be allowed I would suggest a 1+ blessed weapon from BoED (total 8000 plus the sword's cost) and the Harrowheart from BoVD (15320gp specific weapon, +2 rapier that does X3 instead of X2 against good creatures)

If you have access to MiC then there are a series of alignment based weapon and armour bonuses you can pick up

Ardantis
2012-06-21, 08:56 AM
That's awesome.

Well, a Sun Blade is 50,355 gp, and is way out of your range (especially if you want another weapon). It is the size of a bastard sword, but wielded as a short sword. I'm assuming that, for TWF reasons, you'd be best off with two shorts swords (or other light weapons). A masterwork short sword is 310 gp, so add that to the price for the magic enhancement in the following examples:

Holy, Unholy, Anarchic, and Axiomatic are each a +2 enhancement bonus on a weapon. Since a weapon needs to maintain at least a +1 bonus in addition to the special qualities, this means that a single sword with all four abilities is, in effect, a +9 weapon. If we only put two of the special qualities on each weapon, we're talking two +5 weapons.

A +9 weapon is 162,000 gp just for the magic. This outcosts just the one Sun Blade by over 3X, so based on your budget it is not an option.

A +5 weapon is 50,000 gp, and counts as a major magic item. It costs about the same as a Sun Blade, and even then doesn't count as a bastard sword for damage or two-handed wielding.

By my estimation, you're probably better off with the Sun Blade for the cost.

Now, if you were only to buy a Holy and an Unholy sword, they would be +3 weapons each. They would cost 18,000 gp apiece, or 36,000 gp for two. Reasonable, within your budget (much less expensive than the Sun Blade), and unwieldable by both evil and good characters, respectively.

However, here we show that it is far more cost effective to wield one weapon than two, as a single +4 weapon would cost 32,000 gp, would not negatively affect your to-hit, and wielded in two hands would give you 1.5X Str bonus to damage. In fact, a weapon of Speed, which is a +3 special quality, gives an additional attack at full attack bonus on a full attack!

However, your idea is still extremely cool, and I hope I helped to find a cost-effective way of achieving it.

Qwertystop
2012-06-21, 09:57 AM
Thanks, guys. I had a different idea which may or may not be better: Going Dwarf, and putting the enchantments on opposite ends of a Dwarven Urgrosh. One end is Holy, the other Unholy, and either can count as either one-handed or light depending on if I'm TWFing.

What do you think?

And what do you think about other feats? That's where I'm having a good deal of trouble.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-06-21, 10:37 AM
For the record, there is a cheaper Sunblade on Expedition to castle Ravenloft, it looses most of it's special quallities; but keeps the "Can be used as a shorstword" so if you have access to it, it might be worthwhile to check it.

Ardantis
2012-06-21, 12:48 PM
Note that each head of the ugrosh counts as a separate weapon for the purposes of enchanting, so you still need to buy a +3 enhancement bonus for each head (although talk to your DM, this might be something he's willing to be flexible on for RP reasons).

As for advice, it depends on your class (or classes). TWF characters generally need TWF and Improved TWF to give them access to iterative additional attacks, and then some way to add non-Str-dependent bonus damage to the attacks, such as sneak attack. Also, since they tend to rely on full attack actions to get their extra attacks, some form of bonus movement or pounce is necessary.

Here is the Free Movement Guide:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358

Oddly enough, your Holy/Unholy ugrosh adds a damage bonus which is perfect for TWF. Now all you need is a way to get all those bonus attacks on a move. Check the guide- Person Man does great work.

Qwertystop
2012-06-21, 03:09 PM
The class is Arbiter (linked in first post). I was considering three levels of Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian for Pounce, but that cuts me off from a class ability, an extra spell on my list, and a bonus feat at the start, and my capstone at the end.

I know using a double weapon is priced the same as two single weapons, but the thing is, the alignment restrictions are now on the whole thing, so only Neutral characters can hold it. I'll add Axiomatic and Anarchic once I can afford it.

Qwertystop
2012-06-22, 08:35 PM
How many of the TWF feats should I take, considering that either weapon can be offhand?
EDIT: Sorry, didn't realize my post was the last post. Oops...

Dusk Eclipse
2012-06-22, 09:55 PM
Unless you get them as bonus feats, only get TWF and buy a pair of gloves of the balanced hand, which gives you ITWF and don't bother with GTW the extra attack at -10 will rarely if ever hit, so it is worthless IMO.

Qwertystop
2012-06-22, 10:07 PM
Unless you get them as bonus feats, only get TWF and buy a pair of gloves of the balanced hand, which gives you ITWF and don't bother with GTW the extra attack at -10 will rarely if ever hit, so it is worthless IMO.

Hmm... What book is Gloves of the Balanced Hand in?

Here's that character sheet, if you're interested:
Tradik (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=413895)
M TN Dwarf Barbarian 1/Arbiter 9, Level 10, Init +3, HP / , Speed 20
AC 19, Touch 13, Flat-footed 16, Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +7, Base Attack Bonus 7/2
+1 Holy Dwarven Urgrosh (axehead) (1d8+1+4 (2 if offhand), x3)
+1 Unholy Dwarven Urgrosh (Spearhead) (1d6+1+4 (2 if offhand), x3)
Mithral Breastplate (+5 Armor, +1 Shield, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 19, Dex 17, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 8
Condition None

Dusk Eclipse
2012-06-22, 10:19 PM
Magic item compendium, they cost around 8K IIRC

Qwertystop
2012-06-22, 10:21 PM
Magic item compendium, they cost around 8K IIRC

I WISH I had access to that book...
Booklist is in the first post. Tips for my level 9 feat?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-06-22, 10:31 PM
Sorry, forgot you had a restricted booklist; but my suggestion on only getting up to ITWF stands.

Edit: Maybe Extra rage and you could consider to change your Rage to Whirling Frenzy, Leap attack is also a staple for damage.

Qwertystop
2012-06-23, 09:07 AM
Sorry, forgot you had a restricted booklist; but my suggestion on only getting up to ITWF stands.

Edit: Maybe Extra rage and you could consider to change your Rage to Whirling Frenzy, Leap attack is also a staple for damage.

What's Leap Attack do? And where's Whirling Frenzy? I got a booklist-exception made for Spirit Lion, but I don't want to push my luck.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-06-23, 09:37 AM
Leap attack doubles your damage on a charge if you jump at least 10 feet during said charge; it is in CADV IIRC.

Whirling frenzy is a rage variant which gives you +4Str +2 dodge to AC and reflex and an extra attack per round. Though you take a-2 to all attacks that round.

Qwertystop
2012-06-23, 09:48 AM
Leap attack doubles your damage on a charge if you jump at least 10 feet during said charge; it is in CADV IIRC.

Whirling frenzy is a rage variant which gives you +4Str +2 dodge to AC and reflex and an extra attack per round. Though you take a-2 to all attacks that round.

So how does Leap Attack interact with Pounce? And is it a good idea to take that feat that lets you make one attack with an offhand weapon on a standard-action attack? I think it's called Dual Strike.