PDA

View Full Version : Vernaberg: City of Wonders IC.

ExtravagantEvil
2012-06-20, 03:36 PM
The Sun shines warmly in a bright afternoon over Vernaberg, the shadows the city casts outweigh the sunlight, as it stretches on into every alley way and corner. It covers every brothel and Inn and tavern in the same shadow that covers the intentions of everyone here.

What are you doing at this time?

D_Man_7733
2012-06-20, 04:38 PM
With a somewhat hidden stretch E'Thendril stands up from his book, ceasing his previous study, he begins to take a walk down the dusty street, where few others walk the street, most giving him a somewhat wide berth, likely due to his face being covered if you were at a distance. It wasn't long before he reached the end of the street, and pondered what his day would begin like, he had gotten tired of the racist comments of the commoners, and any nobles he had met had near called the guards, because he talked to them.

"Come on, Garren, you lead the way"
He leant down and gave a pat to his furry little friend that seemed to blend into his cloak as walked. And he continued after his Black Cat, into the more common area of the city.

Malak'ai
2012-06-20, 05:26 PM
"Yeah! Well Poppa would have liked it! Just be glad I even *^&#@$! thought of you, you dried up old *^%!#^@ &%*?$!" screamed the slim girl, jumping backwards out of the door into the street, as a jar smashes on the doorframe.
"Fine! See if I ever &^*%@#% bring you anything ever a-#@$%^&$-gain!" she yells over her shoulder as she turns to walk down the street, clutching a scrauny rabbit by the ears, the arrowshaft stiff sticking through it.
I should have just given it to Uncle Bar in the first place instead of that woman. Selina thinks as she turns the corner, heading deeper into the poor sections of the city, slowly moving towards the last friendly face she knew how to find, And to think, Poppa died defending this rathole... Should have just let those bigot Nobles loose and formed our own city on the ashes...

Machuchang
2012-06-20, 07:44 PM
Dennon couldn't help but smile as he strolled down the dusty, makeshift path from the market back to Hibbitt's, a small bouquet of flowers clutched tightly in his left hand. It was the end of his first week back in the Heaven's Cradle, and as sad a city as it was, he was happy here. The people of the Cradle were friendly for the most part, and their perseverance and optimism delighted him. The Hibbitts in particular had shown Dennon far more kindness than he thought he was due, having shared their food and tiny shack with him for far longer than was necessary. As things stood, Dennon would have been happy to have stayed there for the rest of his life.

But he didn't want to be a burden, either. Maybe one day he'd return, but right now it was time to move on. Now was the time to say goodbye. Dennon had no idea where the future would take him from here, but for the moment, it looked like it was going to be a pretty good day.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-06-20, 09:56 PM
Bertrand stared into the swirling backwash floating at the top of his mud-brown ale. As it stared back at him, goading him to take another drink, he shifted his weight and winced in uncomfort as he felt the cold steel of his halberd digging against him. He placed the weapon next to him and took a large swig from his ale. "Hmph. Bad ale." he grumbled, and took another large chug anyway. He shuddered, some of his old war friends attributed the loss at the Yossarian Hills to bad ale. Or what was left of his old friends anyway.

"Yossarian..." he whispered. That was where it all ended. Dreams of freedom falling quietly against bloodstained ground. He gazed at his worn, brown coat. It had seen better days. His gaze fell out of focus, and slipped back into as quickly as it left. He sighed. Maybe today, another drink cold help him forget Yossarian...

But not likely.

Zoomba
2012-06-20, 10:48 PM
Pyx kept his head down as he slid through the dim interlocking alleyways of the Hole. The loitering denizens he passed let the youth pass without comment, having long since learned that slouched, cloaked figures best be left alone. This suited Pyx fine. He needed to concentrate. Left, straight, left, side alley to the left, slope down right. And... Turning a corner Pyx looked up, stopping himself right before slamming into a wall. Cor! Pyx swore to himself. He turned around to see a bustling thoroughfare through an archway behind him. Make that slope, then left Pyx thought as he strode into the main street.

His knowledge of the so-called Heaven's Cradle's streets and back-alleys wasn't perfect, but for an immigrant of three weeks Pyx was starting to get the hang of it. Still needed to be better though. You never know when one might need to make a hasty exit.

Speaking of... Blending into a moving crowd, he glanced up at the sun. By now Bartok might already be getting drunk at the Bronze Boar. Pyx picked up his pace.

Wordplay
2012-06-21, 03:32 AM
Alleyn strolled along through grimy, winding streets in the fading afternoon light. Realising that he'd arrive at the Blue Eagle tavern early for the evening's performance, Alleyn took a detour into the nearby market. Instantly Alleyn was overpowered by noise and the smell, as he elbowed his way through the tight packed aisles. The too ripe smell of the river's fish from the stalls of the costermongers, the smell of blood, fear and guts from butchers of the nearby shambles, the cheap and pungent herbs and the cheaper and even more malodourous reek of the imitation spices, combined with the background scent of raw sewage to give the market it's signature stench. The food sellers loudly hawked their wares. all selling something to try and make the difficult life of the peasants a little more flavoursome.

A few months ago, Alleyn reflected, he'd have been alert to snatch a gewgaw here, an unattended trinket there. Yet now, his purse was full, with money for rent and food enough for several months. As he approacjed the tiny animal market, it dawned on Alleyn that he was bored...now he finally had some space to breathe for the first time since he'd turned his back on his father, his days suddenly seemed routine. 'Something had to change' thinks Alleyn. As dusk falls, Alleyn sets off again for the Blue Eagle through the gathering twilight: the coming night is full of promise.

ExtravagantEvil
2012-06-21, 12:14 PM
E'Thendril

You continue on down the street, your cat hopping between the feet of walkers by, as most toss glances equal parts fear and wonder. You smell something familiar. Familiar to everyone in the city. Wheat. Malts. Hops. Barley.
It seems you have wandered your way towards the tavern district at the center line of the city, a solid road where 10 men could walk abreast and still barely disturb the current of people. Some stumbled into the causeway, others nonchalantly strode like kings, most others slumped and tired.
There seems to be 10 or 12 good drinking establishments and dozens more disreputable ones around here, each with their own back alleys leading to different areas of the city. This entire section seems to divide the city solidly in half, with Drunks and fools on either side.

Selina

You march in a huff, some of the rabbit dripping out onto the street, sometimes blood, other times a bit of brain like excess water in a bucket. Occasionally fragments of skull drop onto the pavement with a soft crackle before being stomped underfoot by oblivious citizenry. Your rage just begins to leave you as you march onwards, when you arrive onto Uncle Bar's tiny shack of a shop, the dirty windows leave a vague blur of what goes on indoors, but you see the ever familiar blob belonging to Uncle Bar, and you hear the faint scratch through the stone facade of wood being whittled and carved down. When you test the door it seems unlocked and ready for customers, and hopefully, he's ready for you.

Dennon

You take in a warm breath as you step towards the House of Old Mrs. Hibbit, her Husband tending the fields, it seems lunch is on the way from the faint bubbling scent of meats cooked fresh and a faint hint of chives and leeks.
Old Mr. Hibbit waves at you and gives a yell
Good Af'ernoon, Dennon m'boy! Say, you showed up jus' in time for my Missus to make lunch! With My Son headed down to the Market this aftanoon, couldya help an old man tending to his turnips? Not that I wanna bother yourself or nuthin.
He spots the flowers in your hand and laughs

Where'd you get them frilly little perty things? Did this heat make me forget sum'tin impor'ant again Hahahaha!

Arranis

The Bartender looks at you, his bald head tossing a quick light into your eyes, shocking you back into the world of the living, you see his thick grizzled chin and bloated figure carry a light dip of a frown, and a gaze of concern at your sheer despondency.

Here, one on the house.

He slides you an ale with slightly more life in it than the one you have. In the way the comatose are still separate from corpses.

You look even more depressed then the others in here. What's the matter?

Pyx

You hurry down and see the Bronze Boar with it's sign carrying a boar of golden color, with a sharp rod inserted where even gold can't glitter, and turning over a golden drawing of fire.
You step inside from the main road into the bar, and see various people sitting alone or in pairs, despondent and tired. A man in a brown coat sits at the Bar counter alone, and you recognize Bartok sitting at a table on the side, the faint window's mugginess casting a hazy light the color of pig fat over him and his drink. He notices you and gives a nod for you to sit down.

Alleyn

In the hours you walk through the city, you see the face of the Blue Eagle, covered in White and Blue paint, an eagle design painted delicately onto the top, surrounding the building like chains on a prison, it seems that all is quiet before the dinner rush, but even amongst the grime it seems the most antiquated kind of clean. Inside it feels sterile with the regular riff raff on the streets hanging around at tables talking over cheap wine more than cheap ale, the stage covered with nothing but a stool. You hear people discussing mostly money, crime, and their own comments on the immorality plaguing the streets. Others just stay here seemingly because it's cleaner, even if the booze feels bland.

Machuchang
2012-06-21, 01:27 PM
"You didn't forget anything, Mr. Hibbitt." Dennon said as he gave the older man a wave. "These are for the missus. I'll be right out to help you in a moment!" With that, Dennon entered the house.

"Missus Hibbitt?" His stomach let out a growl as soon as he opened the door, the full force of the cooking's aroma hitting him dead-on. "I've got something for you!"

Arranis Thelmos
2012-06-21, 02:20 PM
Bertrand grinned morbidly at the barkeep. "Do you know what day it is? The Battle of the Yossarian Hills happened a month ago. That's what started the end of the end." He sat up soldier straight, a fierce light filling his eyes. "I was there, in the 115 Halberdiers. The 'War 'Berds' they called us. We fought valiantly...weren't no use though... we held it for a month before they cleared us out."

"They called us heroes for holding it for that long against all odds. It wasn't until later they called it the turning point of the war. He slumped back onto the bar, the light in his eyes fading quickly. Came back home after the war. My brother, Jovis joined the other side. After a month passed, I went up to what the 'ole folks said was his last post. To my surprise, he wasn't there. He had gone missing in action in the last weeks of the war. Since then I've been following every lead trying to find him... I kind of have to wonder... if the war has been over for five years, wouldn't I have found him by now?

Zoomba
2012-06-21, 03:51 PM
Pyx pulls out a chair across from Bartok and sits down. As the dwarf takes a swig from his ale, the youth looks around at the haze-filled room, taking in the sad sacks surrounding them. "I never understood why you love this place so much Bartok. You came out of the war fine, why wallow in a doom-and-gloom hole like this?"

He doesn't expect an answer. Bartok's a useful part-time employer, but Pyx has long since given up trying to read the dwarf's motives. Pyx calls out an order of ale to the barmaid then turns back to his companion. "Walked down Coal Street this morning. Another influx of refugees in from the south. Lots of people looking for work. You happen to know of any jobs lying around?" As the barmaid delivers his drink, she spills a few drops on Pyx's cloak. Scowling, he fusses with the fabric as he waits for Bartok's reply.

D_Man_7733
2012-06-21, 04:36 PM
E'Thendril takes a glance around the street, his face begins to turn in disgust.

"Where have you lead me this time Garren? But I guess a quick drink wouldn't hurt"

E'Thendril's disgust begins to subside, but not entirely. He leans down and picks up his furry friend, giving it a little dust-off with his hands, before putting it back on the ground. Walking down the street, he gives possible drunks space that they will likely need, so he can stay out of trouble. It isn't long before he loses himself in his thoughts and is following the cat again.

Wordplay
2012-06-21, 06:19 PM
Alleyn strides up to the front door of the Blue Eagle, then thinks better of it, and slinks down the side passage to the service door bad enough I have to mix with these sanctimonious snobs, don't want to be counted with them as well he thinks. Finding his way through the back Alleyn nods at a barman he vaguely remembers. . 'I'm here for the usual show, please let Gus know I've arrived.' Alleyn usually takes a meal and a mug of the Eagle's rather watery house ale as part of his payment. The barman he spoke to hands pours Alleyn a tankard without speaking, and wordlessly puts it before him.

Alleyn gladly takes the weight off his feet, tired from hauling his instruments across town. As he waits for Gus to check the running order of tonight's acts, Alleyn takes out his Lyre and tunes it carefully against his guitar, occasioanally sipping his ale. Trying to ignore the frigid, downbeat atmosphere, Alleyn withdraws into himself. Let's see, it's a conservative crowd, so we'll start with a classic ballad. The lay of Sir Myrrian should do the trick. Then probably a Imperial anthem, maybe an old regimental song if I can remember one, and then some of my own stuff. Finish with 'Come Warrior home'. No drinking songs here, not for this prudish crowd

Turning to his other task, Alleyn scopes out the room, looking for anyone he might be able to gather information from.

Malak'ai
2012-06-21, 07:38 PM
Standing outside the shop door for a moment, composing herself, Selina looks at the little sign and sighs.
Reaching slowly for the door handle and quietly pushes the rough planks opens, stepping through the threshold as silently as possible, glancing at the back of the figure of Uncle Bar, working away at another bow.
Creeping up behind him she smiles as she stretches to reach over his head, dangling the rabbit infront of his face, Uncle, I brough some real meat for you... Not much but more than you normally get from that pig of a butcher you buy from.

Waiting for Uncle Bar's reaction, knowing he doesn't like her talking about his situation, she looks round and takes in his wares. A dosen new bows from the smallest of shortbow's to the largest composit greatbow she has ever seen all stack neatly along the wall, These are some of the finest carved bows in this hole of a city. How can it be that he is stuck in these slums? It's not right. You deserve better Uncle Bar. Selina muses to herself as the large form of Uncle Bar slowly turns.

Move Silently [roll]1d20+2

ExtravagantEvil
2012-06-21, 10:27 PM
E'Thendril
The cat seems to lead you over to a quiet looking dingy pub, you can't quite catch the name on the sign, but the symbol of a golden pig being rotisserie cooked over an equally golden flame seems to have caught tiny Garren's eyes, as he waits beneath the sign staring up at the exquisitely detailed pig image.

Alleyn

You scope out the room, and find that the crowd is both boring, and of little use. Being mostly the cities tired, weak, and nostalgic. You do notice someone that catches your eye.
It appears to be a priest, well decorated by the size of the St. Cuthbert symbol he wears, and the sheer brilliance and detail of the gold, it's ruby center seeming like a dragons eye in brilliance and contrast to the ornamented gold.
He wears The standard Blue and white vestments and a well trimmed and hearty moustache that wraps around into his sideburns, to counter the lack of hair on his old head.
His eyes seem to both roar with determination and taciturn complacency as he seems to be lightly inebriated from the 3 or 4 wine glasses about him.
Oddly for a man of such apparent wealth and power, he sits alone.

Selina

Uncle Bar hears you creep up on him, and sets down his newest project to investigate your hunt and gives a faint, hoarse chuckle.

Thank you...Selina. What brings a little ball of energy like you down to me, Eh?

He coughs slightly as he turns around, his age seems to have finally caught up with him.
He investigates your kill and says

Lemme guess, you got into a fight with someone and had to run somewhere didn't ya? I know because this still smells fresh, and this arrow is too loose to be from your strong bow arm.

Pyx

He stares into his drink further, and gives a faint chuckle at what you said.
Normally, I'd give this one to you. But I don't think you could do this on your own. So listen, just stay out of this one, because I am. Unless you can somehow get some cohorts together willing to do this by Sundown.

Arranis

The bartender looks at you, with a look of vague confusion on his face
Sorry, I never paid much care to current events, the bar stood through the entire thing, but Sorry to hear about what happened... and sad to say you don't have a lead out of me either. Now, if you want to get the dirt on what's going on in this city, well, that knowledge might cost as much as that drink plus some.
He says with an almost sarcastic nonchalance, like a man who knows all the answers, and unfortunately knows just how to use it.

Dennon

You see old Mrs. Hibbit, and the young and ever beautiful Miss Hibbit inside the cottage. Mrs.Hibbit toils with a faint sweat on her brow as the steam from the stew floats around like witches brew, and the Miss looks over her shoulder, and works on sewing back on a strap to some old clothes.

The Mrs. Hears you enter, and the younger of the Hibbit girls work on the stew, as the frail Mrs. Hibbit takes the flowers, her old but skinny figure showing a life of hard work and confidence in every step.

Thank you so much Dennon, these are so beautiful
her voice cracking with age as her hands shake delicately from working over the cauldron fire.
These are my...my favorite, thank you so much, such a nice young boy...you must have been raised well, I just know it.

She says as she slowly walks back to the table to set down the flowers.

The daughter silently works the stew, but smiles the instant you set foot inside.

As Old Mrs. Hibbit stirs the stew she says
Why go out and get me flowers all of a sudden? Are you trying to steal me away from Huberik?
She says with a faint chuckle, rasping out near the end.

D_Man_7733
2012-06-21, 11:06 PM
E'Thendril looked up to the sign, before turning back to Garren.

"You do take me to the strangest of places don't you? Come on, we'll seef if you can get some pork when we get inside."

E'Thendril walks up to the bar, takes a seat and becons the barkeep over.

"Just some wine please, and some pork in a bowl for my little friend here."

E'Thendril looks down to Garren sitting at the base of his seat. Then looking back at the bartender.

Malak'ai
2012-06-22, 12:37 AM
Letting the rabbit drop into Bar's lap, blushing as she sits on the ground, wrapping an arm around the old mans large but still strong leg, Selina looks up into the eyes of the kind man who was almost like a second father to her, "It wasn't my best shot. Some little brat from up the hill almost rode me down just before I loosed. Little #@%& then had the nerve to &*#%£₩$ bark that I was in his way and I should go back to the @#&*£§$ gutter where I belong!.
Sighing and hugging the mans leg tighter before standing, "Come on Uncle. It's time you got out of this hovel. I'll buy you an ale down at the Blue Eagle... Never know, some of the boys might be in there"

Arranis Thelmos
2012-06-22, 07:20 AM
OOC: I was in the totally wrong bar guys, sorry.:smallredface: Please ignore what I wrote earlier.

IC: Bertrand picked himself at the surprising request for wine. He stared at his neighbor and looked him over, then at his cat. He shrugged, "One wine for the elf, on me." He grinned heartily at his new neighbor. "I guess ale just isn't your thing, is it?"

Wordplay
2012-06-22, 11:37 AM
Alleyn surreptitiously notes the priest of St. Cuthbert out of the corner of his eye. Alleyn knows the usual clientele, and the priest sticks out like a bum note in a chorus. He's about to call the dour-faced barman over, when notices someone else motion the man over, then gesture openly at the priest. Alleyn then slowly shifts so he is facing away from the priest, and attempts to eavesdrop on the conversation unobtrusively.

If Gus was here he might ask him about the priest. Gus usually comes out to meet him when he gets there, often interested in what he's up to, and to sort out the details of the performance. He wonders where Gus is, but he doesn't like to bother him...after all he needs the nights at the Blue Eagle to live.

Alleyn itches to start,'It's tempting just to go up onstage and perform, but I'm not going to play for free. Once I start, I'll never be able to charge again he thinks. So he sips his ale, waits for Gus, and tries to listen in on the priest.

Listen to conversation [roll0]
Bardic Knowledge check to remember a regimental tune [roll1].

Machuchang
2012-06-22, 02:22 PM
Dennon smiled back at the young Miss Hibbitt before returning his attention to her mother.

"Not in the slightest, Missus Hibbitt," he laughed. "You're much too far out of my league, and Mister Hibbitt's a much better man than I could ever hope to be. I stand no chance! I just wanted to thank you for all of your hospitality." Dennon's tone began to change as he spoke.

"However... however, I have been here for a week now, and as lovely as my time in your home has been, I don't want to trouble you any further..." Dennon took a deep breath. "I was thinking about going into the city today."

Zoomba
2012-06-22, 10:02 PM
Pyx sighs in frustration. Oh come on Bartok. Who am I going to find at this hour? Vincent got pinched last week and Selena's dropped off the grid again."

He picks up his flagon and finishes it, chugging down the last half of his drink. The barmaid walks over at the sight of the empty glass but Pyx waves her off, frustrated"What's the take anyway? Anything big I would have thought one of the larger guilds would have authority." As he waits for the dwarf to answer, Pyx's eyes roam across the bar. The newest patron has brought in some kind of animal, maybe a cat or ferret. An elf! That's a sore sight in this place. He best be careful with that pet. Enough hungry mouths around I wouldn't put it past the chef to throw that thing into the stew.

Malak'ai
2012-06-23, 05:55 AM
While waiting for Uncle Bar to pack away his tools and find somewhere to store the rabbit carcass Selina walks along the stacks of bows, admiring the craftsmenship, occasionally picking one up to inspect it closer until she gets to composite greatbow slightly taller than she is. Taking it from the rack and walking to the center of the shop floor she giggles and strikes the pose of an archer having just released an arrow.
"Hey Uncle, what ya think? How do I look?" giggling again, trying to draw the bowstring back but not moving it one bit.
"Wow Uncle, who did you make this one for? You'd need a Giants strength to even draw it!

ExtravagantEvil
2012-06-23, 01:31 PM
Selina

Uncle Bar chuckles at your enthusiasm and delight
He takes the bow gently from your fingers, running his hands over the smooth finish, and the magnificent detail put into it.
I actually am making this for a client with arms like tree trunks, a man named Jacarus Tibes *cough*...it's a shame to see her go
After a good 2 minutes of marveling over the bow in a dream like state he awakes with a start and places it back on it's hook.

Thank you for offering me a drink, Selina...*cough*...my old hands are nothing but callouses now, and a cool ale might be just the trick...*cough*...to get some softness back in 'em to really feel my work.

He grabs what could be considered more a patchwork rag with sleeves than a coat, and grabs a cane made of a beautiful darkwood that looks like it could support an oxen's weight.
He starts to walk towards the door, his back straight as a plank despite how hunched he was working on his weapons.

Pyx

The Dwarf chuckles at you
No this is just the right size. Too small for a guild to care about, and too big for one man to take on. You've got a good 5, 6 hours, I'm sure with your skills you could dig up some new recruits looking for good pay.
In the tavern 3 buildings down of here, the Blue Eagle, there's a local priest of a church, one of the bigger churches, but not big enough to warrant any real attention. He's Eranond Vag, has a white moustache that slides up to the sides of his head, mean looking guy.
He hardly ever travels, but when he does, he goes alone, and we're afraid he might get swamped in the middle of the street and killed. He's one of them Grizzled old guys that thinks he's seen it all and can take on anyone. Kind of like me.

He chuckles at this.

Thing is, as you know, a lot a people don't like the church, and the schisms and so on, so he'll have some enemies. We need you to keep an eye on him when he leaves, and he'll get pissed and edgy if he spots you, but if he gets swamped you can't just take on these guys alone.

He pauses and swirls his drink with a shake of his hand, seeing how muddy it really is, and takes a long drink

The reason I told you about this at all is because you're one of my best, and do good for a good price. Now, if you can't find a group of 5 guys to help you by Sundown, when he leaves the Bar, you and I might need to make new friends, because this is big, and I'm counting on you.

Dennon

Missus Hibbit looks at you seeming distressed at this news
Oh Dennon, don't run off yet, you've been here hardly a week and work like you're part of the family. Well, why should I bother with swaying young men
her initial worry becoming a sense of acceptance
Boys like you, when somethings set in your heart, can't be turned away from their path. No matter what. You really remind me of a young version of my Dear Husband. Now, before you leave, you've worked so hard, so you should have your fair share of this lunch I've been working so hard on.
You also notice that the young Miss Hibbit also seems to have something in her eye as you reveal the news.

Bertrand

You set out your coin and you see the wine poured for this Elf, and see that, with your well trained alcoholic eye, a mixture of water, vodka, and grape juice not any actual wine for him.
And silently lays out a bowl with a pork leg in it.

E'Thendril

You take your seat and hear the man next to you, his face nearly inside his ale mug, offer you wine on his tab, and the fresh looking pork leg set on the table. It seems to carry no herbs or spices to speak of, except maybe some flavors from the barrel it must have been preserved in and the smoke to cook it.

Alleyn

You recall many a marching tune, and as you pluck them out, familiarizing yourself with them on the finger board you miss the conversation as your ears drift toward the notes rather than one voice in a crowd.
You see a man step out of the backroom, wearing simple garb and an eye patch, his hair brown and slicked back and a faint fuzz to his thick chin, as his area seems to rival that of the bartender.
He steps over and says
Hey Al, how's it goin'!
He slaps you on the back with a hand like a hamleg that nearly knocks the wind out of your gut.

You'll be going up second tonight, I'd normally send you up first, but my little Jessera wants to start her music career here, and is even taking a commission for it and everything. You understand, she's my daughter, and she'll do a good job warming up the crowd. Everything'll be going down in about 5 minutes or so. So how's life been for you then, haven't seen you around here for awhile.

Wordplay
2012-06-23, 04:26 PM
Alleyn's delighted at the news that he's got the second slot: usually he has to go on late, when the audience is drunk to a quiet stupor, or first, warming up an indifferent crowd for the headliner. This evening's looking good, he tinks.

Alleyn's a little surprised by the hug but returns it and shakes Gus's hand for good measure. 'Hello Gus. I'm well thanks' Alleyn gestures at his guitar. 'Really starting to get good with this, and I've been keeping the lyre going too. Other than tthat, well, money's alright, for the first time in a while. So I suppose I need to focus on getting more exposure for now, and work on composition, maybe get a few songsheets out' Other than noble patronage, it's one of the few ways to make serious money: write a popular tune, and sell and strike up a deal with a printer before someone else prints it, and make money off the sales. A few musicians become well known enough that they can command substantial performance fees.

'But enoguh of my drear existence. Tell me, since when did Jessera turn musician? What does she play? I'm on tenterhooks to see her performance?'

Alleyn patiently waits through Gus's reply, then askes, as innocuously as possible 'By the way, d'ye know what that Priest's story is? Don't remember seeing him here before' .

roll bluff to make the comment seem innocuous 1d20+6

D_Man_7733
2012-06-23, 05:14 PM
E'Thendril turns to the man beside him.

"Thank you, It's been a while since I met someone with decent manners that wasn't just trying to get me to buy something from them. But no, ale isn't really my thing, too strong."

E'Thendril barely touches his hood, revealing some of his skin tone, and the tips of his ears for a second, as if to make a point. Before taking the leg of pork and placing it next to Garren, where he begins eating. E'Thendril takes a sip of his wine before offereing a hand to the man sitting next to him.

"The names E'Thendril, E'Thendril Thornstar. And this little guy is my cat Garren. It's nice to meet you."

He says gesturing to the cat sitting at his feet, munching away at the pork.

Knowledge (Local) on the pub I'm in:
[roll0]

Malak'ai
2012-06-23, 05:48 PM
Follows Uncle Bar out of the shack and steps up beside him as we make our way down the filth lined streets, dodging street urchans chasing stray animals.
Glancing over at Barak, musing over how when in his shop he seems so old and bent, yet when he steps outside he almost seems like the powerful, leather lunged Lieutenant she had grown up knowing.
"Uncle, I'm not liking the sound of that cough. Maybe you should visit a healer for some herbs or a potion to clear it up." she says before only just dodging another urchan before he crashes into her, "%$@^*&@ hell! Watch where your #$@%&!% running you brat!." Selina yells over her shoulder at the childs retreating back.

Turning the corner onto what she had come to call Piss Ally, a wide street thronged with bars, taverns, inns and winesinks, and heading towards the Blue Eagle, quietly hoping some of the Redwings would be there to help her cheer Uncle Bar up. It had been too long since he'd seen any of the men from his regiment, and he had been fretting that they had either been drafted into some fool Noble's army or had just plain forgotten him.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-06-23, 08:54 PM
Bertrand looks over his neighbor and shakes his proffered hand saying, "I'm Bertrand. Bertrand Cathcart. You look too clean to be from around here. Where are you from? Got any business going on in town?"

D_Man_7733
2012-06-23, 09:13 PM
Bertrand looks over his neighbor and shakes his proffered hand saying, "I'm Bertrand. Bertrand Cathcart. You look too clean to be from around here. Where are you from? Got any business going on in town?"

E'Thendril takes a sip of his wine before speaking.

"I'm... not really from anywhere anymore, I used to live at the wizards tower... but" E'Thendril seems to wring his wrist for a second, before putting his hand back on the bench. "Before that I lived with others, up at the Yossarian Hills Monastary. I-I don't really know what happened there..." E'Thendril takes a larger sip of his wine than he did before. "My business, is to rebuild the old wizards tower, but I don't know where to start, people who could help don't usually tolerate me for very long."

He takes a deep breath, before continuing. "What about you? You got business in town, or are you a resident?"

Zoomba
2012-06-23, 09:19 PM
"Don't you forget I'm your man, but at deliveries, deals, surveillance, not protection. And on a bloke who doesn't want it? You're killing me Bartok, as always." Pyx's tone betrays his attempts at outrage. It's always the same routine between the two of them: he hems and haws at the challenge of the assignment while Bartok sits and stares him down. Pyx always takes them of course. Vernaberg's current allure is the state of flux the city's in, and you don't rise to the top of the still-forming social order by passing up opportunities.

Still, I'm not lying about my combat readiness Pyx thinks. Best to find some more intimidating sorts. "Well, see you at dusk then," he says to Bartok as he stands and makes to leave.

On his way towards the door, Pyx notices the newly arrived cat seems to be looking at him. He smiles and draws a coin from his pocket and attempts to do a small trick of legerdemain to amuse the animal. Sleight of Hand check [roll0]

Arranis Thelmos
2012-06-23, 09:55 PM
Bertrand ogled at E'Thendril for a second, shock clearly visible across his face.

"The Yossarian Monastary? No kidding? I fought there during the war." He slumped into his chair. "I was there when it all fell apart. We held those hills for a month, then we were stranded by our commanders..." He trailed off, a light mist filling his eyes, trying hard to suppress a series of nightmarish memories. He took a deep chug of ale and shuddered before continuing.

"...I'm sorry...bad memories. Anyway, I suppose I'm not really a resident here. Or of anyplace for that matter. I've been wandering for the past five years, looking for my brother who went MIA during the last days of the war." He shrugged. "In all honesty, I'm beginning to have my doubts he's alive. I suppose now it's more of a matter of finding out what happened to him."

Malak'ai
2012-06-23, 10:36 PM
Stepping into the tavern just before Uncle Bar, Selina takes a quick look round to see if there's anyone she knows in there.
Seeing a young woman setting up on stage she turn to the old man behind her, "Looks like they've found some fresh meat of their own Uncle. Hopefully she's a better player than that last hawty fool they had."

Heading to the bar, she glances around again, trying to find a quiet spot for the two of them to sit away from the stage before ordering two ales and food enough for 3 people, knowing Uncle Bar always did have the appitite of two men.

1d20+5 first spot check
1d20+5 secon spot check

EDIT: OOC Grrr! why will these not work!!!
@EE, I re-posted them in the OCC thread

D_Man_7733
2012-06-24, 05:31 PM
E'Thendril, looks deep into his wine, breaking away to look at Garren, who had now finished his meal, and turned back to Bertrand wind in hand.

"A toast to those we have lost, may they be were they wish, and may they be reunited one day."

He raises his wine, towards Bertrand.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-06-24, 06:14 PM
Bertrand grins and returns the toast. "To better days ahead."

Machuchang
2012-06-25, 12:24 AM
As Dennon spoke, he caught the young miss Hibbit's eye, and noticed her expression.

"That's very kind of you, Missus Hibbitt. I would love to have one last meal before I leave. But if you don't mind, could I borrow Jesebella for a moment? I have something private I want to ask her.

Wordplay
2012-06-25, 04:41 AM
Redo my bluff roll. (Hope it works this time)

[roll0]

ExtravagantEvil
2012-06-25, 07:49 PM
Dennon

Missus Hibbit nods and beckons Jesebella to join you.

Jesbella seems to wear an odd look of surprise on her face as she follows you to a more, private locale. She stays submissive and quiet, and waits for you to speak looking a touch nervous, as her long blonde hair floats past her blue dress.

Selina

Sad to say, you see no one of the Red Wings here oddly, they tend to hover around the back left corner by the counter, but you see hide nor hair of their familiar faces.
Instead you see the face of the person you know who regularly performs her chatting up the Bar's "famous" owner Gus, and the general imperial rabble, and a well dressed looking stern faced priest with a holy symbol you could mistake for a club.
It seems as if the Bar is simmering down and people begin to eye the stage, while you notice that Uncle Bar has already finished half of his first place, just steadily nibbling through, hardly taking a perceptible breath between his constant eating and drinking.

Machuchang
2012-06-25, 08:06 PM
"Is everything alright, Jesebella?" Dennon asked, concerned. He had grown very attached to the Hibbitts in the short span of time he had spent with them, and the last thing he wanted was for any one of them to worried about him.

Malak'ai
2012-06-25, 09:04 PM
Selina frowns a little, keeping her gaze on the old priest, mumbling to herself "What's his like doing in here with the rest of these Noble toadies? I thought the diocese were still keeping to themselves...".
Lookin back at the table, finally noticing how much Uncle Bar has already eaten, Selina smiles and leans over and whispers "I'll be right back Uncle" before getting up and going to the bar, glancing at the priest again as she walks and orders another two plates and a large jug of ale, smiling to herself I'm going to make sure he enjoys himself tonight... To bad none of the boys are around... I wonder where they are.
Her eyes suddenly sparkle as she leans over the bar, waving to get Gus's attention.

Zoomba
2012-06-26, 05:48 PM
Walking back out onto the street, Pyx looks around for a moment. The city folk go about their ways, shopping at vendors littering the street and opening the doors to the various taverns with comforting regularity. But everyone is tense, mirthless. City's on edge. I can see why even priests aren't safe.

Still, the reason for the job doesn't matter. What matters now is finding a way to take it. Should probably size up the target first, see what the deal is. with a thin grim, Pyx slowly wanders towards the Blue Eagle, chatting up shopkeeps and bar regulars as he goes.

Gather Information roll: [roll0]. Takes [roll1] x10 minutes (racial substitution!)

ExtravagantEvil
2012-06-26, 06:28 PM
Dennon

Jesebella seems to have a faint watery look in her eyes and she suddenly gives you a tight hug.
Well. I...I know this is all kinds of sudden but, well, I've taken...a liking to you...that is...if you don't mind it much. And I'm not wanting you to leave right now is all
She says with a faint drawl to her voice, as the tears drip down slowly one by one.

Selena

Gus notices you, and gives you an appreciative nod of awareness, but equally apparent dismissal, as he keeps conversing with...oh...it's the same act you're used to seeing hovering around this place. The "hawty fool" you're used to hearing, taking up your time. That just gets you awfully hot under the collar doesn't it? :smallwink:

Pyx

You enter the Blue Eagle, and giving your routine scan of the place find a cute little girl of 16 or so, setting up with a flute in her hands on stage, and hidden in the back corners, what looks like, your target of protection for the evening, a richly clad priest with eyes that could carve rock and a face that looks like carved stone. Just slightly more stiff. And apparently, the underground famous visage of the best bow maker in the entire city slowly but surely chewing a decently sized plate of food, and already down a pint of ale.
You also see Gus standing behind the counter chatting up what appears to be one of the acts tonight, given his instruments set all around his barstool.
Everyone else appears to be imperial sympathizers and commoners with a sense of moral authority.

As you wander in there, you remember some of the choice words you picked up, figuring that the Rebels are particularly antsy tonight, which is probably why everyone here at the divide is feeling an off color tenseness. You also hear that apparently, there's some braggart last seen with a speared rabbit in tow with a foul mouth around here, and some elf that left the ghetto's for some reason with a tiny black cat that, just by being there scared some customers off.

E'Thendril

In the midst of your conversation you notice a man seems to be entertaining your cat shortly before he steps out of the bar.

Zoomba
2012-06-26, 08:43 PM
Pyx checks out the priest as he walks in, his eyes widening slightly as he looks over the man. Now there's a man who looks like he can take care of himself. If Bartok's heard there'll be trouble... He lets the thought trail off. Better be sure to find some help then.

He strides over to the bar, edging in beside the waif struggling to get the bartender's attention. "Oy, Gus! Pyx calls over to the barkeep, interrupting Gus' conversation with one of the house's regular (and massively overrated in Pyx's mind) performers. "A beer, man! If he's going on tonight I'd better be good and sauced ahead of time!"

Malak'ai
2012-06-26, 10:29 PM
Selina scowls up at the tall dark haired youth thats just walked up beside her and trying to get the barkeeps attention, "Wait your #%@!&#* turn buddy" she snaps before leaning over the bar more and yelling "HEY GUS! Stop nattering with that puffed up, pretty boy of a singer and get your *%^#$!^ FAT $@%$ OVER HERE!", her voice raising as her anger at basically being ignored starts getting the better of her.

Zoomba
2012-06-26, 11:48 PM
Pyx turns to look at the woman beside him. She's a bit more lively than he'd expected from her frame. "Hey, no offense meant. Just trying to get some service, like you.". He turns to yell at Gus again then thinks better of it, instead leaning slightly backwards to let Gus and the girl have it out.

Machuchang
2012-06-27, 12:05 AM
Dennon stood in silence, caught completely off guard. While one small part of him may have expected this to happen, Jesebella's declaration had more than surprised him. More than that, some of his own feelings for her, repressed out of respect for the Hibbitt's hospitality, began bubbling to the surface. Sooner than he was comfortable with, he found his arms wrapped around her as well.

"I don't mind your liking me, Jes," Dennon said softly. "I may have even taken a liking to you too... and maybe I'm not ready to leave either. But I can't stay. I don't want to be a burden to your family... or to you." He took a deep breath. "I don't know how long I will be gone, or where I will go from here. And should you move on, and maybe find another man, then I want you to know that my blessing goes out to you. I want only the best for you, Jesebella. But I promise you, no matter what the future holds, one day I will return. And I will see you again."

His speech finished, Dennon wrapped the girl tighter in his arms. Sure they had only known each other for a week, but maybe, just maybe, they could work. And who knew where it where it would go from there?

This was certainly not what he had in mind when he thought about his future earlier, and as bittersweet as this was, maybe it wasn't so bad.

Malak'ai
2012-06-27, 12:45 AM
Looking over at the dark haired man, or was he still a boy? It was hard to tell, his features seemed to be slightly different everytime she looked. It must just be the bad lighting in the bar, "Sorry, just hacks me off when pompus fat, Imperial lickspittles like Gus here ignores hard working people." she says, thumping her fist on the bar again.

ExtravagantEvil
2012-06-27, 09:01 PM
Dennon

Jesebella seems to tear up even more with her face shaking between a smile and a frown
Oh Dennon...you aren't a burden 'round here! You've been nothin' but help to a tuckered house like this. You don't have to go...but if you do, well, just keep thinkin' of me...cause I ain't the kind o' girl to just forget about you Denn.
She says Denn in a cutesy tone, but the rest was preceded with the same tears rolling down her cheeks

Pyx and Selena and Alleyn

Gus gives a thick hearty laugh at Selena and gives Alleyn a big slap on the back again, and walks over, giving a good yell to match the same volume as Selena, whom everyone is now staring at
Hey, you little firecracker, you don't come 'round here often. I like gals like you, especially when their buying my food. So, what is it you want little Missy? And trust me, I ain't no Imp supporter, I just know who the consistent customers are, and cater to a demographic, like any man of business.

He talks about his political ideology in a hushed voice as he gets near you to take your orders, letting everyone know his real beliefs, or lack thereof, tends to be bad for business.

He gives a nod to Pyx with a giant smile that shows off all his browning teeth.
You can tell he'll get to business after he gets her to sit down and shut up with a little food in her mouth and coin in his pocket.

Malak'ai
2012-06-27, 10:14 PM
"Yeah, your just like the rest of us aye Gus? Struggling to make a living while those ponces up on the hill keep kicking us in the &@*# with all these new laws? Spin the next one! I know you've lined your pockets with blood money, you're not the first one to do it... Anyway. I'm looking for the boys of the ol' 27th archers... They're normally round here." Selina says, her voice dropping back to a normal tone as she slips a couple of silver peices over the bar, eyes locked on Gus's.

Gather Info [roll0]

D_Man_7733
2012-06-28, 02:16 AM
The tiny cat marvels briefly at the coin-trick, before licking the bowl clean dry of any pork leftovers. A copper coin slips from E'Thendrils pocket, down to Garren, who looks expectently up at E'Thendril, before picking up the coin in his mouth and moving towards the door.

"Bertrand, you seem to know this area fairly well, would you mind coming with me to keep my little friend out of trouble?" E'Thendril says stepping off-his seat and away from the bar, leaving payment, and the bowl. "He always seems to bring me to interesting places, any knowledge you have of this area would be greatly appreciated"

Bertrand takes one last swig of his ale and nods through his swallowing, before following E'Thendril and Garren out of the pub.

Garren seems to be attempting to follow the scent of the man who performed such an amazing display for him.
Spot roll if needed, otherwise use it for when we arrive
[roll0] (Normal Cat +3, used my 3 ranks as extra. Hope that's right)

Machuchang
2012-06-28, 02:47 AM
"I can promise that you'll always be on my mind," Dennon said with a smile as he wiped the tears from her face. "And it means the world to me that I'll be in yours. Now dry your eyes, Jes," He squeezed her tight as he pressed his face against her hair. "No matter what the future holds, I promise that I will come back to you."

He held her until she stopped crying, and planted a tender kiss on her forehead before he spoke again.

"And as for the present," Dennon said, trying to keep a jovial tone. "We've still got a delicious stew waiting for us."

ExtravagantEvil
2012-06-28, 08:37 PM
Dennon

As you dry her eyes she presses your hand to her cheek, and smiles, and silently goes back inside the hut, with a dainty smile on her face

E'Thendril and Bertrand

The cat seems to lead you to an interesting little tavern, decorated in Blue and White with eagle designs painted across the top of the facade, like some kind of fence that surrounds the tavern.
It is labeled Boldy in fine wrought gold font
THE BLUE EAGLE

Selena, Alleyn, Pyx

Frankly Babe, I'm not sure. I liked them, but I haven't seen any of 'em, in a couple weeks. No one has. They just, vanished it seems. Some people think they got killed by some political enemy or freak accident, some think they went underground to do something big. No one knows the exact truth...
As he gives you the information, he takes your gold while simultaneously running the tap, while the original bar tender seems to be taking cleaning duty.
Hey Pyx, how's it goin'? What are you doing in a place like this?
He says, eyeing the stage, waiting for the girl on stage to be ready.

Malak'ai
2012-06-28, 09:10 PM
Selina frowns and nods,"Thanks... I guess" she mumbles before turning and returning to the table with Uncle Bar. Pouring herself an ale from the pitcher and picking at the meal infront of her. I wonder what they're up to... I would have heard if they'd been wiped out...

Zoomba
2012-06-28, 11:07 PM
"You know how it is Gus; thought I might see who's on call tonight. Could use a show to lighten me up." He grabs a beer handed to him and slides a couple coins back.

Pyx turns around. Most of the crowd seems to be waiting for the first performer to start, but Pyx keeps an eye on the priest's corner. And another on the brash girl as she took her seat. So, guessing that's the loud-mouthed archer. Seems like just the girl who'd be looking for a fight. He takes a slow sip and slides down in an open seat.

Machuchang
2012-06-29, 12:34 AM
Dennon sighed as Jesebella left, a sad smile on his lips. He took a deep breath, ran his fingers through his hair, and followed her back into the house.

"Missus Hibbitt? Would it be alright if we called the boys in for lunch now? I'm starving, and I would love to have one last meal with the whole family before I take my leave."

D_Man_7733
2012-06-29, 12:34 AM
As the cat enters the bar, he approaches the person who did the coin trick for him, and drops the copper on his shoe, before looking up expectantly.

E'Thendril and Bertrand enter the tavern, shortly after. E'Thendril bends down and gives Garren a pat. "I see he found who he was after. I just wonder what amuses him so much about you, he seems to be expecting something." E'Thendril stands back up and turns to Bertrand, putting a coin on the table "One ale on me, I always repay my debts"

"Thank you, I'm always up for a drink" Bertand takes a seat, and begins to drink, but keeps an ear out for their conversation.

Wordplay
2012-06-29, 02:33 AM
Alleyn runs through a gammut of emotions. As the coarse mouthed young woman bellows across the room at Gus, Alleyn is shocked to hear such language in public! And by a woman about his own age! His lip curls slightly; much as he disagrees with Gus's politics, Gus is still an important man in the community, who's done him a good turn. As he's about to make an appeal to the older, respectable looking old man accompanying the girl, Alleyn is checked by Gus's reply. Ah, good, they know each other. Just banter Alleyn is a little alarmed to find that he had already been checking for likely exits.I've been in too many bar fights lately. An occupational hazard.

Then Alleyn is almost shocked from his senses overhearing Gus claim anti-Imperial sentiment. I don't believe that for a second-he's just trying to molify her. Might think he's less pro-Imperial than he is, but I know for a fact that Gus used to hang up Imperial colours on the Emperor's birthday, and again on the anniversary of his death. When I was a lad he recited the blasted succession fifteen generations back at parties

Alleyn's so distracted by the gutter-mouthed woman, he barely notices the dark-haired companion, for a moment. Then he suddenly wanders why a man is so keen to be served by Gus, when there's a three staff over at the bar proper. Of course! He's not here for drink-he wants a word with Gus. That 'drink' must be some kind of code. The man's a spy, knowing Gus, probably for the Empire! I knew Gus was up to his neck in it. It all makes sense! Even the sudden outpouring against the Empire! The wily old dog's trying to put me off the scent. The woman, is she part of it? Or is she a counter-spy? She could be working for Argent, she's the only other woman I've heard use such language. No, probably Empire, only an Imperial spy would walk into a pro-empire tavern and denounce the nobles. I have to find out more, a big Imperial spy ring right under Argent's nose-this could be my big chance!

Having concocted this elaborate theory, Alleyn rises, and walks up to the dark-haired man.

'Hail, and well met, I'm sorry, but Gus seems a little busy, what's say I get you your drink on me? My name's Master Alleyn Volen, by the way, but you may call me Alleyn'. Alleyn performs a little bow with a courtly gesture.

'A humble bard, servant of that nourisher of man, life's emolient, the shining divinity-I speak of course of music'. Alleyn pauses , breathless.

'To whom do I have the honour of addressing?'

That should do the trick. The typical dumb bard. Too enthusiaistic for hin to brush it off

Bluff [roll0]

Malak'ai
2012-06-29, 03:53 AM
Scooping the last of the gravy of the stew from her bowl with the heal of a loaf of bread Selina glances up at stage as the young girl starts playing an old song, a favourite from the times before the wars, one her mother used to sing to her while they followed her father on the march, rolling her eyes and mumbling her disgust under her breath she notices the elf and older, burley looking man enter and walk to the strange young man who had tried to cut in while she was trying to gain Gus's attention
Oh this could be bad... This crowd isn't usually welcoming to non-humans, and that guy that came in with him looks as if he's either about to pass out from drink or start throwing those fists of his around... she thinks, focusing on the two new comers.

Zoomba
2012-06-29, 03:24 PM
Feeling a nudging at his foot, Pyx glances down and spies the cat from before looking up at him. He smiles at the creature and leans down to pet it. On closer inspection it's a beautiful animal, and he notes that its eyes look more focused than one would expect from a cat. Clever girl.

As the cat's owner strides in moments later, accompanied by what looks like his despondent companion from the Bronze Boar, Pyx gets a better look at the pair. The elf certainly is a confident one, I'll give him that Pyx muses. Where most elves act ill-at-ease in the human-dominated bar, this man appears perfectly at home. Furthermore, his drunken partner looms large in his chair. Inebriated, but strong. Sober that man up he could be good in a pinch I bet. Wonder if he's a freelancer?

The elf's thoughts bring Pyx back to the moment. Pyx laughs lightly. "What can I say, your little one has good taste." He pets the cat some more. "He's very nice pet you have here."

Suddenly Pyx is interrupted by Gus' minstrel coming over and hovering beside him. He gives the performer a wry look. He's seen people angling hard for a tip before, but pre-performance is a new one. Still, a comped drink is a comped drink... "Thanks. The name's Pyx" He slides the coin he dropped on the bar back into his pocket. "You're the lyrist, right? I think I've seen you perform a few times. You on tonight?"

D_Man_7733
2012-06-30, 07:12 AM
E'Thendril rises from patting the cat.

"He's more to me than just a pet..." He looks down at floor where the cat is still sitting, his eyes reveal a little bit of longing, and his hand goes to his robed wrist for barely a second. The cat looks back up at him shortly before going closer to the man for a pat, leaving the coin on his foot.

"His name is Garren, and I'm E'Thendril." E'Thendril says offering a hand.

The man who sat at the bar steps up offering a hand as well "And I'm Bertrand, it's nice to meet you"

Zoomba
2012-06-30, 10:35 AM
More than a pet... Pyx glances up at the elf, then starts. The robes, the semi-oblivious demeanor, the clever cat, they all add up to one thing in his experience. Arcanist!

Pyx quickly retracts his arm from the cat. He hadn't meant to get so close to a familiar; most wizards he'd come across found such behavior highly invasive. "My apologies. I didn't realize. I'm Pyx, it's a pleasure to meet you." He extends a hand to the elf and gives a respectful nod to Bertrand.

"I must say, even now we still don't see that many elves around. What brings you to the Cradle?"

D_Man_7733
2012-06-30, 05:14 PM
E'Thendril and the cat lock eyes for a moment, before Garren takes another step forward. "It's alright, who am I to say who get's to pat him when he wants them to. He seems to really like you as well, which is good enough for me"

"I come here for, what some less informed, would call a business venture, and others, begging. But I come to rebuild what was lost during the war, and return it to its rightful glory." As he speaks seems annoyed and somewhat disgusted about speaking of this place. As he continues his hand goes down to his wrist again, before he retracts it, back to his side.

Malak'ai
2012-06-30, 06:07 PM
While watching the girl on the stage and making idel chat with Uncle Bar, Selina keeps watching the Elf out of the corner of her eye.
She watches as the start talking to the dark haired boy while the popinjay of a singer keeps quiet to one side. They must all know each other... she thinks, taking another sip at her ale.
Suddenly she notices the Burly man stand up as the Elf starts to get a little adjetated, Oh here we go... There's gunna be trouble... I think I should get Uncle Bar out of here before something goes down.
Standing as the young girl on stage finishes singing, Selina says, "I think we should get going Uncle, it's guuna be full dark soon and you know what these types can be like when they're full in their cups and there's no light outside for others to see by." Hoping that he'll take the hint so they can leave.

Wordplay
2012-06-30, 06:14 PM
Alleyn smiles, and nods,

'Yes, that's right, though I've got this new instrument that I've been practising', he gestures to his guitar. 'I'll be on after the young lady, please be nice, it's her first performance'

Alleyn heads to the bar to pick up a drink for Pyx. As he walks over to the bar he notices a stranger with a cat talking to Pyx. For a moment, Alleyn is disquieted; the stranger's limbs, posture, don't seem quite right. Then Alleyn realises Elf. Alleyn twitches involuntarily with a touch of fear and revulsion. Alleyn's seen elves before; hanging around the worst neighbourhoods in filthy squats. In a thousand little ways, posture, shape, voice, Alleyn is discomforted by the inhumanity of elves: so close to humans, and yet undeniably alien.

Come to think of it, that man, 'Pyx' an obvious alias, is looking odd. Alleyn blinks, It must be the drink getting to me already, I could have sworn that guy's face was blurry. If non-humans are involved too, then something very strange is happening, and it's all the more important that I find out what's going on here. Maybe I can cosy up to them.

Gus's daughter, Jessera, starts up her flute music. Alleyn is struck by her beauty, her carefully managed ash-blonde hair hanging to her waist, crowning a high forehead, hazel eyes and coral lips. She's chosen a rather common tune, and Alleyn winces at the occasional bum note. Still, the room's attentive, Perhaps she's got 'it' the charisma of a perfomer...or it could just be good looks...either way

Alleyn picks up two drinks, and brings them back. ''Here', he hands a drink to Pyx.

'I brought one for your friend too, in case he was thirsty, Alleyn addresses E'Thendril, quelling his natural revulsion.

'I hope that you don't mind my interruption. I brought this drink, in case you wanted one

D_Man_7733
2012-06-30, 07:00 PM
It takes a few seconds before E'Thendril notices he is being talked to, he takes the drink carefully off Alleyn, so as not to spill any, before speaking.

"Thank you, I'm not usually one for strong drinks though, it might be a nice change of pace... And we only just met, although Garren seems to like him, and I trust his judgement." E'Thendril nods towards the cat, before continuing. "I'll pay you back for this, don't worry."

E'Thendril puts his drink down on the bench to so he can offer his hand "I'm E'Thendril by the way, It's nice to meet you."

Bertrand nods to the new arrival, as well. "I'm Bertrand by the way, are you performing here? You might have a bit of trouble following that performance." Bertrand gestures to the stage, you can tell all the drink is effecting him, but not significantly.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-06-30, 07:09 PM
Sorry, please ignore this post. Thanks for taking care of Bertrand while I was gone D_Man. :smallsmile:

Zoomba
2012-07-01, 04:18 PM
Pyx takes the drink with a curt nod and sips it slowly. The bard's eager, he'll give him that. Still, the man's interest in him and those around him is beginning to be a bit disconcerting. What's his game? Is he just an overacheiver or... Pyx's eyes narrow for a bit. Then he relaxes, dismissing the thought from his mind. No, Iran would send pros. I wouldn't even have time to be thinking this. Likely the minstrel's just a genuine 'people-person', as annoying as those may be.

Besides, he has a job to do. Seeing Bertrand's comment as a distraction for the bard's attention, Pyx uses the opening to turn back to E'Thendril. "A business venture, eh? Best of luck. A fair warning though, there's plenty in this town who don't take to kindly to beings like yourself. Too many'll look down on you for being an elf. Do me a favor. Prove them wrong."

Pyx's tone gets darker and his words softer as he goes on. He pauses; he hadn't been planning on speaking that bluntly, especially not in a place like the Eagle. Huh, I must have been drinking more than I thought. He slides his cup away slightly as he turns up his mouth in a grin, trying to lighten the mood. "Still, if you're looking for a nest egg I might have an opportunity for you to make some gold. Just a few hour's work too."

D_Man_7733
2012-07-01, 04:47 PM
E'Thendril's speech lowers as well, so as only those in the immediate area can hear. "I know how they are, I've been here for about a week, and already been thrown out, or had the gaurds called on me, for doing nothing but knocking on a door." He lowers and shakes his head, and you think you hear mumblings in elven.

if you speak elven
bunch of ill-mannered, rich, ego-driven, racist, &@$^@#(, and an elven swear that translates roughly to "No-Mother"

"I could use a bit of coin, but what I'm really looking for is people in support, should we talk about this somewhere, private? or is this just a general anybodys job?"

Sense Motive on Pyx, to see what kind of job this is before he answers.
[roll0] I guess not.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-01, 04:55 PM
Bertrand lowered his voice and a fierce, eager light filled his eyes. Even in his drunkenness he recognized the need to lower his voice. "My question is what happens to us if we refuse?"

Zoomba
2012-07-01, 05:38 PM
Glad to see he has Bertrand's attention as well, Pyx leans forward to take a sip from his beer. Glancing around to make sure no one is looking, Pyx quietly responds to the burly fighter. "If you don't want it, don't come. It's just a security gig." To the elf he tosses of a quick burst of elven. Not here; wrong bar, unsure of bard. Outside, 20 minutes?

He's spent enough time talking to the pair for now. An elf's an odd enough sight to draw eyes, no need to have people wonder why he's so amiable with the newcomer. Pyx quickly gives the elf a hearty slap and the back and sloppily clinks his flagon against the wizard's, a sloppy smile splayed wide. Everyone likes a good drunk. He swivels to face the expectant bard. "Hmm, this beer is delectable. Excellent taste, you. So you've got new gear and new songs for us tonight then? Bringing the house down?"

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-01, 06:11 PM
Bertrand smiles a little at the little quip thrown in elvish at E'Thendril. Bertrand didn't understand it, but recognized it was significant. As for the job... he couldn't deny he needed the gold... and he recognized that the thirst for adventure was driving him forward. "To my regret, I learned how to speak the Gnomish tongue rather than the Elven." He whispers to E'Thendril. "What did he say?"

Wordplay
2012-07-01, 06:25 PM
Is that old man involved too? Security job? Is that some kind of code? And whatever he said to the elf, that was definitely code. I definitely need to find out what's going on. At least I know for a fact that he's a liar: he just called the house ale 'delectable'

To Pyx he says 'Well, that's the idea! I'm on in a moment, after the young lady. It's a good slot, on second, just after the crowd's warmed up. Truthfully it's usually me warming up the crowd

Alleyn curses inwardly at the unguarded comment - he mustn't give away personal information.

Alleyn notices Bertrand and greets him 'Hail and well met, friend, Alleyn Volen, at your service.'

I'll have to go with them, or I'll have to follow them somehow.

Alleyn decides to feign desperation, so he leans into the huddle and whispers:

'Look, gentlemen, truthfully, being a tavernhouse minstrel doesn't pay too well and I'm, well, to put it delicately, a little down on my luck. If you would happen to have any work...anything *clandestine* I would be grateful for the employment. I'm not much of a fighter' Alleyn glances at Bertrand...'but it wouldn't be my first time playing the lookout. I can go quietly, and I can keep my mouth shut.' Alleyn squirms slightly, 'If that's not enough, I was at one time apprenticed to a learned master in the arcane arts, and I have a few...other tricks up my sleeve'

Bluff: [roll0]
(Just for the down on his luck part; the rest is true)

Wordplay
2012-07-01, 06:27 PM
I'll try the Bluff roll again: [roll0]

ExtravagantEvil
2012-07-01, 07:40 PM
Dennon

Miss Hibbit nods, as she stares deeply into the soup getting it ready.
As time drifts on she says
It's Up! Savor it Dennon, it'll probably the best food you'll have for awhile. I've been down there in that city. Nothin' natural. Just smoke and ashes in their food.
She says with a raspy chuckle.
We're sad to see you go Dennon.
She says, as she pours your soup, the smell of leeks and pork spiraling and swinging upwards with a mind of it's own.
She slowly hobbles over to a drawer and pulls out a small golden chain, that looks like a necklace.
Take this...our only piece of jewlery, give you something pretty to remember the family by.
She says, as the man of the house stays silent, but has a slight frown on his face beneath the wall of manly emotionlessness he holds, even in old age.

Selena

Oh Selena, calm down.
He says with a smile
Just 'cause I took my fair share in the War doesn't mean I can't fend for myself. Why d'you think I carry my walking cane with me? Made of the finest wood I ever found, and can crack through a dragons hide if you swing good enough.
He chuckles as he starts to take in his second ale, lost in his tangent for a moment, he looks over at the situation going on over there, noticing the musician with the lyre, and the general crowding of persons outside of most Pro-Imperial circles
Also, if they do have that new group going on tonight, why, I might just want to hear 'em
He says with an unshown wink and a twinkle in his old, tired eyes.
You can tell he knows that you're worried, and knows exactly why. He knows however, the one joy in being old, laughing the loudest at riled up young people

Everyone talking to Alleyn

Roll Sense Motive, if you are so inclined :smalltongue:

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-01, 07:58 PM
Sense motive: Roll(1d20)+-1:13,+-1Total:12

D_Man_7733
2012-07-01, 09:01 PM
E'Thendril whispers to Bertrand "not now, 20minutes, outside"

He takes what appears to be a chug of his ale, and taps Pyx on the shoulder. "Well met"

At the word of a learned master of the arcane arts E'Thendril turns quickly to Alleyn.
sense motive: [roll0]

"A master, you say? do you happen to know where he learnt, or where he is at the moment, I may have a proposition for him." His speech is oddly quickened, compared to what he has been speeking with. "Perhaps you would like to hear it too, I haven't seen many practitioners of the arcane around here." throughout the conversation he is holding his wrist.

Machuchang
2012-07-01, 11:31 PM
Dennon placed the chain around his neck, before wolfing down his soup with gusto. He most definitely wouldn't be having anything like this for a while, of that he was certain. Mrs. Hibbitt's cooking was the best he could ever remember having. But while he would miss the food, he would miss the family even more. After finishing his bowl, he turned his attention back to the people around him.

"I have to say, thank you so much for taking me in," Dennon said with a huge smile on his face. "Your hospitality and kindness have truly meant the world to me, especially in such trying times as these. And I'm sorry to leave you all on such short notice, but I don't want to be a burden to you, and I can't help but think that there is something my future holds for me that I won't find here; at least not yet." As Dennon spoke, he began to feel himself choking up, but held back the tears that began to form in his eyes. "I just want you to know that you are all among the most kind-hearted, good-spirited people I have ever met, and I promise, if you're okay with it that is, that one day I will come back to see you all again. May the Saint always watch over you and protect you."

After finishing his speech, Dennon rose and embraced Jesebella and her mother, before approaching Huberik.

"Mister Hibbitt, sir, thank you so much for the honor of sleeping under your roof and working in your fields. You are a good man, and I'm sorry to get up and leave before helping you with your turnips. May the future always be in your favor." Dennon smiled as he outstretched his arm to shake to older man's hand.

Malak'ai
2012-07-02, 06:33 AM
Signing as she sits again, "If you say so Uncle, but if trouble starts up I'll clear a path to the door and you get out as quick as you can, you're no fighting man anymore." Selina says, putting as much authority in her voice as she can.

Finishing her ale she glances back over to the small group by the bar again, the Elf and the dark haired youth now talking to the singer, the big older man standing, rocking just a little, now standing and looking as though he's interested in what the dark hair youth was saying.
Now what's happening? They're drfinately up to something... Perhaps I should try and find out, I don't want Uncle Bar in here if they do cause trouble

Looking at the almost empty pitcher she comments "Gee Uncle, your drinking more than you have in a long time, I'll go get us some more." Standing and walking up to the bar, sliding in behind the dark haired boy, trying to hear what they are saying.

[roll0]

Wordplay
2012-07-02, 06:54 PM
Alleyn gulps slightly, a little startled as E'Thendril clasps his wrist.

Err, I could introduce you to my former master if you like..but we didn't part on the best of terms, I suppose. I don't know who trained him, but I think he learned in the city as I was....supposed too. There are quite a few mages in the city, but they're a miserable, unsociable lot, and err...they tend to have certain...I mean that they're not the most tolerant of er, other peoples Alleyn blushes.

'I'm sorry. Anyway, I'm no wizard. My apprenticeship was brief, but I have picked up the odd trick

Alleyn thinks through his limited repertoire, No obvious locks, so...the only one that will leave a mark is...

Alleyn closes his eyes, and concentrates on his heartbeat, trying to shut out the sound of the tavern. He blinks, and time seems to slow. Imagine your arm's freezing cold like it's been plunged into hot water/then hot as though scolded. Flip it, cold, hot, cold, hot. Imagine your arm coated in a silvery sheen, which pulls away. A ghostly hand of vapour-now direct it just so

Magehand to lift E'Thendril's beer tankard.

Alleyn perspires slightly:'Only a canthrip I know, but more than most people can do, and it's served me well a few times. I'd appreciate it if you kept it quiet; people are very superstitious about the more liberal arts Alleyn's eyes narrow But might you be a learned master, yourself sir? he asks E'Thendril.

D_Man_7733
2012-07-02, 07:13 PM
E'Thendril's wrist tightens on his own wrist (sorry for the confusion), "A learned master, me, I'm afraid not, I may have a title-but..." His eyes seem to go into a little glaze until he is startled by Garren who sits on his foot. Which is when his hand realeases his wrist, but you can tell he was holding it with stressed force as there are creases riddled down his sleeve.

"erm, yes...A simple cantrip can be all someone needs if used correctly, your contriubution to the arcane would have been well appreciated" E'Thendril speaks in a lower voice so as to stop people from overhearing, he seems to be speaking with a little more respect than he once was.

Zoomba
2012-07-02, 07:49 PM
Sense Motive:[roll0]

Pyx's glance at Alleyn turns towards a glare. The bard's posture, talkativeness, attitude; it all screams to Pyx that his 'new friend' is hiding something. But what, and who is he working for? That's the problem Pyx has found in this city: the metropolis has splintered into so many factions and political movements that you never know exactly who you're talking to. Looking around I'd say Imperial loyalist. The crowd's right. But... Pyx takes another small sip from his drink as he watches Alleyn chat with E'Thendril. No, Imps would know a play here sticks out like a sore thumb. Meaning Reb, or something else.

As Pyx tries to remember if there's any other major groups Bartok has spoken of, he notices the girl from earlier walk up. He's impressed: her and her dad sure can put them away. Pyx scoots aside to give her a clear path to the bar, bowing in mock respect as he does so in a concilitory gesture for their previous run-in.

Malak'ai
2012-07-03, 08:02 PM
Seeing the dark haired youth bowing as she walks up to the bar, Selina scowls, "What are you bowing for? Do you think I'm a spoiled little &$#% brain brat from up on the hill? Stand up you %&@#$% fool!".

Turning to the bartender and ordering another pitcher, glancing out the corner of her eye at the so-called minstral, noticing him as he goes silent and concentraiting, What's that jackdore doing now? she thinks until she see's the tankard wobble up off the table a few inches.
Oh @#%$! A %^&#!@& magician... Might have to tread carefully... Those type of people tend to be really vindictive.

ExtravagantEvil
2012-07-04, 02:52 AM
Dennon:

Mr. Hibbit extends his old hand and smiles, a melancholy one at that, beneath his veneer, and says
Good luck Dennon m'boy. You need it in that city. Now remember, a good hard days work is always worth more than easy money. Remember that good now. If you walk away from this little family with anything, let it be that.

He gives you a stiff but warm handshake, with that look of bittersweetness on his features like someone gently emblazoned it onto a patch of leather.

Alleyn, Pyx, E'Thendril, Bertrand, Selena

You notice that as the woman with brown hair's performance comes to a close she bows and gracefully steps back behind the curtain, and strides with pride out from the stage exit, walking towards Gus, giving him a large hug

How'd I do Daddy!
Fantastic Sweetie! I'm proud of you, know you head back upstairs and pack up all your gear for tonight. It is late.
You're on in 2 Al.

Machuchang
2012-07-04, 12:13 PM
Dennon left the house almost immediately after saying his goodbyes. It was no use to stay and linger any longer. But even so, he occasionally found himself looking back, even after the Hibbitt's home was no longer in his sight.

He did not know how long he had been walking, but eventually, he found himself standing outside of a fairly large tavern. Intrigued by the sound of music inside, Dennon glanced through the window before examining the sign. 'The Blue Eagle...' Now that's a curious name. He thought to himself. Although he had never heard of the place before, the prospect of music and new company was an appealing one. What it could it hurt? Dennon found himself thinking as he opened the door.

Wordplay
2012-07-04, 05:19 PM
Alleyn looks around,

Well, excuse me, gentlemen, we'll have to continue this later; wish me luck!

Alleyn strides up to the chair onstage, then he takes out his lyre from his pack, and carefully checks the tuning. Then he puts his pack to one side, and places his lyre on a seat where he can easily reach it.

Welcome ladies and gentlemen. Look at all those faces. Terrifying. Hardly anyone paying attention. Tough crowd. Perfect

Alleyn feels the fluttering fear in his chest. It makes him feel alive. At the same time he feels the dormant power of his voice, and it fills him with calm confidence and the love of the music. This is better even than magic. This is the time Alleyn feels most like himself and more than himself.

I'll not go with the Lay of Sir Myrrian after all. Something...more appropriate

Alleyn starts up his song

Perform (Sing) [roll0]
Perform (Strings) [roll1]

Zoomba
2012-07-04, 08:40 PM
Pyx's eyes widen slightly at the woman's reaction. Ouch. No sense of humor that one. Standing and sidestepping to slink away, Pyx's attention is drawn to the front of the room as the performer has ceased playing. Her exit from the stage is shortly followed by Alleyn's move onto it.

An opportunity. Pyx picks up and chugs down the remainder of his beer, trying to catch the elf's eye as he does so. Finishing the drink, he slams it down loudly next to the mage and strides purposefully towards the door. Now's as good a time as any to chat without that man listening in. Besides, his voice isn't half bad but I don't think I can take much more of those strings. Pyx gives a final glance back at the room then flings open the door and heads outside the Eagle, hoping the elf and his friend know enough to follow.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-04, 11:54 PM
Bertrand looks on as the man walks out the door. He hesitates, he knows he and E'Thendril are supposed to wait another twenty minutes before following him. But with that nosy bard gone, this would be a prime opportunity to find out more about this mysterious job. He rises to leave and with a grin on his face he tells the foul-mouthed young woman nearby, while she's receiving a new pitcher of beer, "By the way, it's not pronounced '%&@#$%'. It's pronounced '%&@#%$'. The 'e' is silent on the end.

D_Man_7733
2012-07-04, 11:54 PM
Pyx catches the eye of E'Thendril, and gently taps Bertrand on the arm, while he takes a large chug of Ale, to which he cannot hide at least a little of his disgust. Before heading out to follow pix.

"Time to stretch your legs little buddy E'Thendril bends down and gives Garren a pat as he leaves the Blue Eagle.

Malak'ai
2012-07-05, 01:52 AM
Selina turns her head as the large drunken man speaks to her, smiling a little as he offers the correction, "Thats not how the boys of the 27th used to say it, but I suppose it would work the same way."
She then leans in and whispers quicetly to him, "You're putting on a good act, keep it up and stay sharp around that that guy that just walked out, there's something... strange about him." before taking the pitcher and walking back to her table with Uncle Bar.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-05, 08:11 AM
Bertrand follows E'Thendril out of the bar mulling over the young woman's warning. ... All my instincts are screaming not to trust this guy Bertrand thinks to himself. And I'm continuing to walk into it anyway.

This better be one heckuva trap.

ExtravagantEvil
2012-07-05, 09:51 AM
Dennon

Your long walk into the city took hours, to where nearly evening has folded into the sky. As you go through, taking in the sights and, trying to avoid the smells, you reach the nice looking tavern on the main road that caught your eye, the gilded words of the Blue Eagle ringing nicely in your ears.

You enter and see a good number of folks discussing politics, moral decay, and other topics. While a motley crew has set up near the end of the Bar counter closest to the door. Far too motley for an establishment like this you wonder.

SUddenly you are taken aback when you recognize what appears to be a priest of Saint Cuthbert sitting in the back, a look of a stern grimace plastered on his face, and his holy symbol being so vast and decorated to your eyes that it is a treasure of it's own.

And, the faint music that wafted through the bar like the smell of alcoholsuddenly crashes with a sharp twang as you hear a string burst like confetti on stage.

Alleyn

As you sing along, something feels odd on your lute as you play, you disregard it and move on, playing still for another good 4 bars until it suddenly slaps your with a sharp twang and the string burst like confetti on stage.

(I normally don't do skill fumbles, but that's the only thing that made sense for the performance roll, given his assumed talent, consider it a compliment :smallwink:)

Malak'ai
2012-07-05, 10:59 AM
Still keeping half an eye on the large man as he walks through the door, Selina grimises while she pours what will be her second ale as that prancing peacock on stage starts singing, Well, I have to admit his voice is a bit better than it was a few months ago.

Moving she seat a little so she can gain a better view of the whole bar she see's the young priest walk in, then looks over at the older clergyman, Must have been waiting for him to show up... By the looks of him, he's a rural preacher from outside the walls, he must hate it in this hole.
Just as she finishes the though she hears the loud, sparp twang of the musicians string snapping and cant help but laugh, not even trying to hide it. Her chuckling, almost a cackle, bursts forth loudly over the other voices in the tavern, as she claps and stamps her foot.

Zoomba
2012-07-05, 02:45 PM
Leaning against a windowless part of the Blue Eagle's walls, Pyx glances around. The crowd is a bit more dispersed than before, but the tavern-filled street still has plenty of men (and a few women) walking by. He looks up. The sun has lowered somewhat. Still, plenty of time before I have to get a crew to Bartok

After a minute, the door to the bar opens as E'Thendril and Bertrand head outside. Pyx pushes off the wall to stand and smiles at the pair. "Know I said to meet up a bit later, but hey, 'seize the day.' Right?" He lazily scans to see if anyone's noticing them but the area appears clear.

"Sorry for the cloak-and-dagger bit; it's just the Eagle can get a bit 'political' and you never know what'll touch of someone's nerve. Anyway, me and a friend are looking for some help with a protection gig. There's a priest inside there," he nods back at the bar, "who pissed off some fanatics or other and is too stubborn to realize it. All we need is a few men to shadow him with us tonight, make sure no one tries anything."

Pyx pauses a bit to let that sink in. "That's it. Nice and simple, not even illegal. Any interest?"

D_Man_7733
2012-07-05, 03:18 PM
"Honestly I was beginning to wonder, what with all the cloak and dagger, but it seems reasonable. About how long? I might be able to adjust my repertoire to something more suitable."

E'Thendril looks over Pyx in order to figure him out just a bit more.
Sense Motive (also for lies):[roll0]

Upon hearing the twang come from inside as he left, E'Thendril cringes and Garrens eyes prick up and look around for the source of the noise. "Sorry for coming out a bit early too by the way, seemed as good a time as any, I like to know what I'm in for well before I agree to anything. Do you know who we will be protecting him from by the way? Or who he is? I will find out either way, so it will probaly save time this way okay?"

Diplomacy (if required):

[roll1]

Machuchang
2012-07-05, 07:03 PM
Dennon's gaze lingered on the ragtag group. An elf and two humans were not often seen treating each other so cordially, and they seemed to be acting a little secretively at that. Curious... Dennon thought to himself. What could they be up to...? Oh well. It's none of my business.[/I]

But Dennon's discovery of the priest of St. Cuthbert, whether his business or not, was not so easily brushed aside.

What in the name of Cuthbert is he doing here? Dennon wondered, incredulous. This certainly doesn't seem like the place for his type. But there's something about him...

The sharp sound of a breaking string from the stage interrupted his train of thought. Frantically, Dennon wracked his brain. That man seems so familiar! I must have seen him before! Capitalizing on the distraction caused from the stage, Dennon hustled to bar, trying to find a place where he could observe the priest without being seen himself.

He ended up taking a seat next to a cackling young woman, and turned his back to the bar.

Zoomba
2012-07-05, 07:05 PM
"Timewise it'll be from when he rolls out of this place, which from what I hear will be not much before last call, to when he gets to the temple or wherever he's staying. As for who's involved," Pyx shrugs. "The priest's name is Er-something. I didn't ask about the rest; my experience questions tend to complicate things. Does it matter?"

D_Man_7733
2012-07-05, 07:11 PM
"I just like to know what I'm doing, and who I'm doing it for. So I don't get dragged into anything. It doesn't really matter, if we had somewhere private I could work it out, but we don't know when he will be leaving, so all questions will have to wait until the end."

It seems almost as though E'Thendril was trying to make a joke, or an attempt at sarcasm, but it quite obviously fell flat... very flat, even Garren the cat at his feet rolled his head eyes at him and gives Pyx and Bertrand a somewhat apologetic look.

Machuchang
2012-07-05, 07:14 PM
Hide: [roll0]

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-05, 08:24 PM
"Well I guess it's a nice, clean job. I guess 'protecting the elderly' wasn't in the job description, but I can work with it." He turns to E'Thendril with a resigned look. "I guess we might as well go through with it, I didn't really have any other plans for the evening," he quips with a grin across his face.

D_Man_7733
2012-07-05, 08:33 PM
"The prospect of more coin is always appealing, I'm in too. Bertrand, you might just be surprised as to how it will end up, if it was going to be clean, he wouldn't be looking for help.

E'Thendril turns his head towards the door "I wonder what he did to that poor poor instrument of his." before turning back and shrugging slightly.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-05, 08:51 PM
Bertrand grins and eagerly peeks in to see what had befallen the poor instrument.

Wordplay
2012-07-06, 09:39 PM
As Alleyn notices Pyx, Bertrand and E'Thendril heading outside: Ah, confound it; they're leaving. Something must have tipped them off...I wonder what it could have been

Alleyn's letting his attention drift slightly, when the string of his guitar suddenly snaps.

Ah, it would have to happen tonight. I hope that I didn't over-tighten it

Alleyn ignores it, and continues the song with his voice alone: that's the best way to deal with it: be professional, and brazen it out.

The seasons have turned, the shadows draw near
and the young mens' songs have faded away,
turn your face from the fire, dry up your tears,
for the memory of the long summer days...etc

Zoomba
2012-07-06, 11:35 PM
Pyx watches the two new recruits head back inside, allowing himself a small sense of satisfaction. Well, not bad. That takes care of a few. Now who else...maybe that archer; crude as hell but unlikely to give a $&@! about sides...

He waits a few moments, to give space between the elf's entrance and his. Then Pyx enters the Blue Eagle once more. He moves away from the door and posts up alongside the wall, taking in the music and looking around to see if anyone has changed since he left.

spot check [roll0]

ExtravagantEvil
2012-07-07, 07:05 PM
Pyx

You see that a rustic looking preacher that smells of sweat and turnips has entered the bar and has taken a seat at the bar, seemingly out of his element, with an occasional glance tossed at your night's cargo, one of the Local Priests.

Wordplay
2012-07-07, 07:45 PM
Alleyn smiles apologetically as he finishes the song.

Untrained Perform Comedy (lets say it fails)

So...did you all hear the one about the census and excise board - they gave the merchants short measure

As the attempt at humour falls miserably flat, the patrons stare at Alleyn with incomprehension, indifference, or downright malice.

Stupid. Just because it works for Jerem. You won't become a great performer just by copying him

Alleyn clears his throat, puts aside his guitar, and reaches for his lyre.

Perform (sing) [roll0]
Perform (strings) [roll1]

Malak'ai
2012-07-08, 08:26 PM
Selina shakes her head at the singers pathetic attempt at a wittisim, taking another drink of ale, and going back to watching between the young Clergyman and the door, noticing that the Elf and his friend have re-entered the bar, quickly followed by the strange dark haired boy, There's something going on with those three, I just know it! And I don't think it's anything good.

Zoomba
2012-07-08, 10:50 PM
As Alleyn's second (and much improved by the sound of it) song rings through the tavern, Pyx sidles over towards the awkward-looking robed man sitting in his former seat. Pyx stands at a distance, smiling and listening to the tune. Then, the next time the stranger peeks over at the priest, Pyx moves up to the man and slaps him on the back.

"Clergy at a bar weird you out too, eh? I mean, there's a much different type of spiritual guidance you can get here instead of some temple." Right after doing this, Pyx turns to get Gus' attention. With a slightly quieter voice he asks, "Hey Gus, what's up with motormouth back there? She a soldier? Freelancer?"

Malak'ai
2012-07-08, 11:04 PM
Watching as the dark haired man with the face that seems slightly different everytime he moves approach the young priest, Selina leans back in her seat, thinking to herself, So he's the instigator. He thinks he's being covert, but I know whats happening. He's got some scheme up his sleeve and he's looking for some chumps to wrangle into it.
Leaning forwards again, trying to ignore the much improved song that the peacock on stage is playing, she tries to hear what the young man is saying to the priest.

Listen Check: [roll0]

Machuchang
2012-07-08, 11:20 PM
Dennon jumped as he felt a hand slap his back.

"Y-yes, I suppose you could say so," Confused, Dennon turned to see a dark-haired young man standing beside him. He hadn't even heard him approach.

"I quite agree with you, actually." Dennon said, as he tried to regain his composure. "My own time spent in the Church was... Well, perhaps it would have better been spent elsewhere. So I guess you could say that makes me wonder about him, though." Dennon gestured towards the other priest, perhaps not as surreptitiously as he should have, but by then his new acquaintance seemed to have turned his attention to the bartender.

D_Man_7733
2012-07-09, 01:46 AM
E'Thendril Enters, and walks up to the bar ordering a wine, passing the ale down the table as he does so. After recieving his wine hetakes a seat at a table near the young woman and the older man.While doing so he keeps an eye on Pyx and the priest.

Garren lies down on the chair beside E'Thendril and seems to go to sleep.

Changed because Selina wasn't sitting at the bar

ExtravagantEvil
2012-07-09, 07:06 PM
Selena

Your ears manage to pick up the conversation of the dark haired man, and the well muscled man he's chatting up.

Malak'ai
2012-07-11, 07:49 AM
Selina strains a little harder to hear every nuance that the young priest utters, thinking to herself, Hmmm, doesn't seem to be the over zealous type like most of the young ones are... Maybe I should warn him to be wary of that guy. All the while keeping her eyes on the singer proforming at the front of the bar, trying to make it look as if she had not noticed anything behind her.

ExtravagantEvil
2012-07-11, 09:00 AM
Pyx

As the sun drifts down a little further, you realize that you are running a tad close to the wire, and the stern target of yours seems to shift around, his eyes leaving the stage, scanning the surrounding area.

Malak'ai
2012-07-11, 09:17 AM
((Hey EE, I've been trying to PM you since Friday night my time but it keeps saying your inbox is full, I let you know in the OOC thread a couple of days ago but either it's still full or your just a really popular guy and I'm not quick enough with my PM's :smalltongue:))

Wordplay
2012-07-11, 07:49 PM
Alleyn's smiles slightly, after he finishes his second song; The lay of Sir Myrriam, a lengthy ballad about a knight, raised by peasants, who ventures on a lengthy quest, and overcomes several misfortunes. A tale of dragons slain, combat with the empire's enemies, and wondrous enchanted gardens where magic snares challenged fortitude, and sapped the spirit. At the culmination the knight lead a host against invasion of the empire from 'the mysterious north'.

Alleyn takes a drink of his ale to moisten his throat.

'My next song's for all the gallant men of the 27th Royal Archers!'

Let it rain Crimson

Chorus
When banners fly and clarions call
Let it rain crimson
When the foe breaks, when they fall
Let it rain crimson.
We’ll teach stout hearts to fear our storm
Let it rain crimson.

See the young men march to war
Let it rain crimson (Refrain)
As their fathers did before
Let it rain crimson
As other sons will once more
Let it rain crimson

Others march on bloodied feet
See them ground like chunks of meat
Let it rain crimson
To their drummers’ tuneless beats
Let it rain crimson

But Redwings fly on scarlet wings
Redwings fear no foeman’s stings
Let it rain crimson
Hear, the sound of battle ring,
Let it rain crimson etc...

Perform check (voice) [roll0]
Perform check (strings) [roll1]

Malak'ai
2012-07-11, 08:10 PM
When the singer mentions her fathers old regiment, Selina looks intently at him, mouthing the words along with him while wondering where this boy learnt the song.
Uncle Bar though, jumps to his feet at the first note, bellowing out the words as loud as he can in a surprisingly good voice despite the amount he has had to drink, and his failing health. Banging his fist on the table everytime "Crimson" is sung, tears slowly forming in his eyes.

Trying to stop her drink from spilling, Selina looks up at Uncle Bar, thinking, If only more of the men were here...

Zoomba
2012-07-11, 09:16 PM
Seeing Gus Appears to be distracted, Pyx whirls back towards the priest. "Yeah, well I suppose that's half the problem with godsblessed right there. To stubborn to ever be where'd you'd expect..." He glances at the other man's attire. "No offense."

Through the bar's grimy windows Pyx notes that it's getting late. Cor! Time's getting a bit tight. He smiles warmly at his new mate. "Still, even a lapsed man has to lend a little respect to men like those. And, again no offense, I like you, but Im thinking a non-merch smells that much of beets could use some better meals. Any interest in killing two birds-one stone?

Pyx says all this rather quickly and cheerfully, finishing just as the bard starts up his third song. He notes that the motormouth and her companion appear particularly interested in the new melody.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-11, 09:38 PM
Bertrand looks in surprise as the old man rises for the song. He hardly expected to find any more old veterans walking about. As the old man sings proudly Bertrand glances at the foul mouthed woman. Well, if her old man used to be a soldier, that would explain why she'd have a soldier's mouth.

Malak'ai
2012-07-11, 09:51 PM
As the song comes to an end, Uncle Bar clumsily makes his way to the stage, leaving his walking stick behind at the table.
"Well done lad!" he booms, "And don't worry, twas never supposed to be played on a lute! Young Branos used to accompany us with some panpipes when we marched, but before him it was flutes."
Placing a hand on the stage, tear tracks on his cheeks, Uncle Bar beams up at the young singer, slapping a few coppers down infront of him.

Machuchang
2012-07-11, 10:21 PM
Dennon watched in awe as an older man and the young woman next to him became enraptured by the song. But before he began to stare too closely, the young man began to speak again.

"None taken. The Saint does seem to favor a sort of... unwavering mindset." Dennon gave the youth a small smile. "As for work, what did you have in mind?

Malak'ai
2012-07-11, 10:25 PM
Fighting back a few tears as they form at the sight of Uncle Bar enjoying the singers proformance, Selina notices that the Priest and the young man have started talking again, leaning back in her chair she starts trying to listen in again.

Listen: [roll0]

Zoomba
2012-07-11, 11:55 PM
Pyx gives a casual nod towards the isolated cleric in the corner. "Seems there's people who take a bit more issue with that man over there. Me and a few others've been asked to keep an eye on him tonight - from a distance of course; arrogant ass rejected an official escort."

He looks at his companion. "Any interest in coming along? It could be nothing happens, but way things are lately numbers can be useful."

As an afterthought, "Name's Pyx by the way."

Machuchang
2012-07-12, 12:20 AM
Dennon rubbed his hand through his beard as he thought. He had really hoped to be done with the Church all those years ago when he fled the field of battle. He just couldn't seem to escape them.

And yet... And yet it wouldn't be right to allow anything bad to happen to another person if he had the opportunity to stop it. And the money he'd earn would not be unwelcome. Dennon had lived without money before. He did not want to experience it again.

He gave once last glance in the priest's direction before turning his attention to his new employer.

"Pyx, huh? It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Dennon. Dennon Blackheath, and I would be honored to lend a hand."

D_Man_7733
2012-07-12, 01:21 AM
E'Thendril takes out his paper and inkpen and vial and begins to write a message on it, before looping inside Garren's collar and directing him to Pyx.

Garren approaches Pyx and steps on his shoe with his front paws.

Pyx:

How many people are you looking for perhaps? Maybe Bertrand and I can help in some way, it is getting a little late and we don't want to be unprepared if anything happens.

-E
P.S. - Garren probably won't like being used as a long term messenger, as I had to wake him up for this.

Hopefully a tiny cat wouldn't attract too much attention, if anybody even noticed him at all.

Zoomba
2012-07-12, 02:05 PM
Pyx gives Dennon a nod and a smile. "Pleasure's mine Dennon. And for now, just wait and enjoy the show; supposedly our man stays late most nights but just be prepped to go if he gets unusually antsy."

Pyx turns back to the bar to try and get Gus' attention once more. Place isn't that crowded, the lazy sob Still, he's in a good mood: that makes at east three other men for tonight. That's a decent party right now, maybe add one or two more for good measure. As if on cue, he feels a familiar nudging sensation at his feet. "Hey there little man," Pyx says as he leans down to pet the Garren. Feeling a note within the collar he slides it out, subtly to avoid any probing eyes. Scanning the note, Pyx chuckles to himself. Knew that one was a good catch Lacking a proper writing instrument of his own, Pyx scratchs away at the parchment with a splinter of wood form the bar, creating faint indents into the paper.

Via Garren: Yes. 1 more

Slipping this altered note to the cat, Pyx then sits up and slouches back. Turning towards the stage, he takes in the commotion on stage.

Sleight of Hand for note: [roll0]

Machuchang
2012-07-12, 03:35 PM
Dennon nodded and scanned the room, keeping an eye out for any people who looked like they might want to do the priest harm.

Spot: [roll0]

"Is anyone else with us?" Dennon asked, his voice low.

D_Man_7733
2012-07-12, 04:28 PM
Upon seeing Garren come back, and take his seat back on the chair, E'Thendril takes the note from the collar and gives Garren a pat as he goes back to sleep.

he lays the note in front of him as he reads, and shakes his head as he reaches the scratched piece of paper. He folds the paper up and slips it back into his cloak before leaning forward towards Bertrand.

"He thinks one more person should be good, any Ideas?"

E'Thendril scans the bar for people who might be able to help, or for people who might pose a threat to the priest.
Spot:
[roll0]

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-12, 05:58 PM
Bertrand looks around the bar. "I suppose we could talk to that old soldier's daughter." he says gesturing over to the foul-mouthed woman. "She certainly seems tough enough with a mouth like that."

Zoomba
2012-07-12, 07:13 PM
A pair here, another who'll meet when needed. Possibly one or two more; that'll depend on our compatriots."

Wordplay
2012-07-12, 07:29 PM
'I'm glad you liked it, thank you very much. It's not a lute, actually, it's something a little new. I should probably have practised with it a little more before using it.'

Alleyn thanks the old man - clearly a veteran - who's rushed the stage, and puts away the coppers as politely as possible.

Well, that's as good a place to end it as any. I'm not going to get a better response than that

Alleyn takes a small bow, and clears away from the stage, stowing his instruments. As he does he notices that the old man's younger companion seems a little emotional.

She's the one that swore at Gus earlier. Figures, she comes from a military background with a mouth like that. Not bad looking...still a temper like that will drive nearly any man away. Now a girl like that Jessera Stanton on the other hand...if I had some free time tonight... But instead of leaving to try and chat up Jessera, Alleyn keeps his mind on the strange group.

Still, an elf who's a wizard! Alleyn can't help but get a little excited by that. He's sure that his display of a minor cantrip had impressed the creature, slight though it was.

I bet an elf wouldn't have all those stuffy ideas. With an elf master I'd have been free to find my own way. I bet I'd probably be a magister myself by now if I'd had an elf master. Alleyn casts a glance at the wizard, a slight tingle going down his spine seeing the...person's uncanny visage. Maybe he's just an innocent mixed up in that Pyx's espionage. If so, I must try to save him. I'll have one last go at getting in contact with the Master. If that doesn't work, I'll have to follow them out at a distance.

Alleyn watches to see what the next act is, then works his way back to E'Thendril.

'I hope you enjoyed the performance magister'. He lowers his voice 'You mentioned something about a proposition for arcane casters? Perhaps I can help? I may be of little talent, but I'm good with people'

D_Man_7733
2012-07-12, 07:59 PM
E'Thendril looks at Alleyn as he approaches,

"Thank you, the proposition was not only for the arcane casters, but they may have the most interest in it." E'Thendril takes a bit of a breath and Garren seems to twitch in his sleep. "You may have heard about the Old Wizards tower, during the war, it was destroyed. I believe that another one should be built, so those with arcane talent may study in peace. But there are some improvements, with the teaching process that could do with some changing."

E'Thendril pushes a chair out for Alleyn to sit down, and slides the note of paper over to Bertrand and gives him a nod.

Sleight of Hand: [roll0]

"A little talent goes a long way, a few cantrips can save your life. You say you are good with people, it is a valuable skill to have, if your interested, there's money in a little job, that could use someone like you. If you are interested of course.

ExtravagantEvil
2012-07-12, 09:54 PM
E'Thendril

As you cast your eyes looking for new recruits, the emotional young woman, sitting with the teary eyed older man with a cane, seems to have her ears leaned over particularly close as you discuss your plans. She might be more interested in what you say than you think.

You seem to find no persons here of any threat. Mostly just your standard bigots that you know and tolerate in most city streets.

Pyx

You feel the hour is nie, and that the stern man seems to be giving a hearty yawn out of the corner of your well trained eyes. His arms folded across his chest as he scans the room around, presumably looking for exits. His eyes meet the group, and he seems to have a slight upward fracture in his staunch lip at the sight of the old man. Then it returns to it's normal hard line as he continues to wait.

Wordplay
2012-07-12, 11:02 PM
Alleyn smiles, pleased that he's impressed the magister, even a little bit.

The Old Wizards Tower? I don't remember much about it. But yes, I'd definitely be interested, and even better if there's some money in it too! he pauses.

New teaching methods, sounds great. I've always been convinced my arcane studies would have advanced so much further if my master had just been a bit more willing to work with me. Let me find my own way, what worked best for me! Instead he kept harping on about pointless exercises, and about all the potential dangers. He stifled my ability!

Alleyn is grown quite passionate on this point.

So master E'Thendril, tell me, what do you need me to do?

Malak'ai
2012-07-13, 12:17 AM
Selina digs into her coin pouch, leaving a silver on the table before walking up to the front of the tavern with Uncle Bar's walking stick, placing a hand on his shoulder, "Come Uncle, it's time we got going, you're getting a bit unsteady and I can't carry you like the boys normally do". Laughing to take the sting out of her words as she turns him towards the door.

Walking through the darkening streets, she finds herself very softly singing the words of the last song, Uncle Bar smiling as he follows closely, stepping carefully along the uneven dirt road, "It's been a while since I've heard you singing the old song m'girl, it makes me glad your still so loyal to the old unit... You would have made a great Redwing." he says, wrapping an arm around her shoulder just before getting to the shop.

Upon reaching the door, Selina notices a dirty, crumpled note nailed to the rough door, taking it down and reading it, her anger rises again, "This... This... What the #$@% do they think they're &#!%$@^ doing making an order like this? Where the %$@# do they think the golds going to &%^#!@% come from?!", scrunching the note as she opens the door, leading the old man into the back of the building into his small room, "Those $@^%!#@$ are demanding that all merchants in the city "make more money", just so they can take it from you again!.

Leaving Uncle Bar in the back as she walks back into the shopfront, leaning against the counter, This is gunna put him out of business, noone in this area could afford to buy any of these bows if Uncle has to put his prices up..., looking at the racks of bows and quivers of arrows along the wall she slams her fist on the table.
Taking her bow from her back and the quivers from her belt she strides over, taking up a two quivers of longer shafts and then pulling a new bow from the rack and slinging it over her shoulder before walking back to the counter, pulling a scrap of paper that Uncle Bar writes his orders down on out, quickly scribbling a note before leaving the shop, calling out "Sleep well Uncle, I'm going hunting."

Striding back through the darkness, heading back to the Blue Eagle. I have to do something to stop this... I'll see who that dark haired boy works for, if he's an Imperialist I can always walk away.

As she enters the bar again, Selina quickly searches it, finding the youth still talking to the young priest, she strides over, turning him with a sharp tug on his shoulder, "Just tell me one thing... Imperialist or Rebel?" she whispers forcefully, staring intently into his eyes.

D_Man_7733
2012-07-13, 01:03 AM
"Of course there are dangers that need to be taken into account, some people need a less structured environment; rather than a forced study workload, some people need to experience magic, and that is what I'm hoping to change, rather than providing a single secluded place, have areas all over where there is easily the ability to find information when people are experiencing the world as well."

E'Thendril, takes a sip of his wine, it all being gone now.

"I'm not a master yet, or at least, I don't think I would be classified as such" His hand goes down to his own wrist gently "and I'm afraid right now I have reached an impass looking for supporters of this notion. Most people consider me filth, and some even call the guards. Recently finding a job, I have decided to go for it, as my money won't last forever, and it will be good to keep money from getting scarce while I look for other supporters. If you would be interested there is coin in it. It isn't really helping to build a new wizards tower, but having assosiates to support is a start."

After he is done speaking E'Thendril take a small breath, once again gesturing to the chair for Alleyn to sit down.

Zoomba
2012-07-13, 11:33 AM
Noticing his...I suppose it would be a ward of sorts. For tonight anyway... is stirring, Pyx thinks quickly. should he meet up with Bartok before? No, new recruits are unlikely to merely wait around for him to return. Bartok's smart, he's likely waiting outside.

Pyx is about to make to excuse himself for a moment and check outside the door when the brash woman returns. 'Imperialist or Rebel?' The bluntness of the question stuns him for a moment.

"I'm not sure what..." he starts to say, but cuts himself off quickly. The woman's posture shows she's read for a fight and Pyx would rather not let a brawl draw attention to himself. Besides, she's not cursing. That alone's a warning sign. So Pyx does something that surprises him. He tells the truth. "Survivor. No love lost for the old Empire but it's not like this other lot's looking much better. Politics doesn't care for me, I don't care for it. You want to reignite a war, go ahead. For now some of us are just trying to make a living around this."

Malak'ai
2012-07-13, 12:01 PM
Selina glears at the young man for a moment, then nods, The war never died so I wont be re-igniting it. I don't care about all those who called themselves Rebels, just trying to take power for themselves. All I want to know is, if I joined up with you, would I get a chance to stick a arrow down the throats of all those fat $%#@^@! up on the hill?" she hisses, her voice still pitched so only the young man can hear.
Stepping back a little, her body still tense, eyes still flashing with the anger burning in her stomach at the letter upon Uncle Bar's door, she waits for an answer.

Wordplay
2012-07-13, 06:19 PM
Yes exactly. This is what a mage should be! thinks Alleyn as E'Thendril talks about a glorious future for arcane casters.

Then E'Thendril turns to talk about his own position. A man...well a person at least, this great, and he's treated that badly? I knew elves had a bad time of it but this. Then Alleyn thought about how he'd try to pass elves quickly in the street, and look away from them. It occurred to him for the first time that many of those elves had probably noticed...and that they'd felt as bad as E'Thendril.

I guess I'm no better. But that doesn't mean that I can't be better.

'It sounds wonderful. Forgive me for the master, perhaps I could address you as magister E'Thendril, then? It's a courtesy title for mages in the city. Alleyn blushes slightly.

Listen, if you'd be willing to discuss the arcane, maybe show me a few things, or let me help out, then take this. Alleyn takes out a pen, some parchment and ink, and sketches a quick map to his address, then hands it to Pyx.

It's not much, but you can find me here. Your companions seem a little uneasy around me

Then Selina bursts in, knocking Alleyn's drink over him, and speaks to Pyx.
Listen Check [roll0]

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-13, 07:11 PM
Bertrand half-listens to the conversation between E'Thendril and ... Oh... What was his name again? he wonders to himself. As he mulls his question over another tankard he sees the fowl-mouthed woman, now armed, go over to Pyx and start whispering with him furiously. Bertrand, intrigued by this, strains to listen.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-13, 07:13 PM
Ignore please, a 500 error.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-13, 07:14 PM
Ignore please, a really bad 500 error.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-13, 07:27 PM
Curse these forum errors! :smallfurious:

D_Man_7733
2012-07-13, 07:51 PM
"Thank you, there is something I could show you right now if you are interested? It is a remnant from the old wizards tower, besides me and the clothes on my back of course.

E'Thendrils hand goes up a little fo his sleeve, putting the parchment away in a little pocket. As selena runs in E'Thendrils wine tips over and breaks a little, Good thing that was empty and ethendril holds a hand over it and takes a breath, washing over it with light arcane energy, and fixing it.

Mending spell used

"Have you heard anything about that priest over there? I hear he got another religious group or something angry, know if anyone is coming after him?"

Wordplay
2012-07-14, 10:19 AM
Alleyn smiles and nods when E'Thendril asks if he is interested. As E'Thendril casts mending on the glass Alleyn's face lights up as he recognises the spell.

(that is, he recognises the effect as one he's seen before)

A spell to fix things, just like Master used to cast. A mage indeed. Just think, that was probably only a fraction of the arcane forces at his fingertips! He makes it look so effortless.

'Hmm...the Priest? I'm afraid not, I've never seen him before in here. Certainly sticks out doesn't he? I asked Gus who he was, but he was interrupted by that young 'lady' talking to your friend.'

Alleyn gestures at Selina, then thinks for a moment.

'Why are you worried about him? Do you want to propose the plan for the magic school to him? That's it isn't it? Well if you're worried, I can sneak outside, and keep a lookout. If I was after the man I wouldn't wait in here. I'd cover the exits, tail him when he left, and follow him to a quiet street'.

Machuchang
2012-07-14, 12:05 PM
Dennon sat in silence as he watched the Red Wing girl talking to Pyx. She certainly seems passionate about something... He thought, as he leaned in slightly to better hear what she was saying.

Saint knows how dangerous that attitude can be. I pray that she does not make the same mistakes I did.

D_Man_7733
2012-07-14, 05:04 PM
"It's actually the job I was talking about, you're free to help if you want, there's sure to be coin in it as well. Other people could tail him out and follow as well, so at the moment we're just trying to keep him safe from all sides, hmmm, that would be good, if you keep a bit of a lookout outside, we might be able to get a headstart on anyone planning something. Perhaps I can assist you as well." He turns to Bertrand "Probably best if you stay in here, keep him safe if he provokes her"

Promptly waking Garren up with a gentle poke, E'Thendril gets up and leaves, he gives a brief nod to the now turned around Pyx, so as to tell him, that E'Thendril has a plan.

Wordplay
2012-07-14, 05:30 PM
Alleyn nods.

Maybe this has something to do with that Pyx's plan. I mustn't forget, charming as Magister E'Thendril is, there's something funny going on here. Maybe I can get the Magister out from under their influence

Certainly, I'll deal with it. If there's a problem I'll sing out

Alleyn heads outside.

Hide Check [roll0]
Untrained Spot Check [roll1]

D_Man_7733
2012-07-14, 05:56 PM
Once outside E'Thendril sits down and pulls a book from his cloak (not a spellbook, just a normal book), and walks a little down the street to find a bench and sits on it and reads his book, but looking up every-now and then to see if anything suspicious is going on. He makes sure he is visible from wherever Alleyn dissapeared to, so if anything happens they can tell and help eachother.

Untrained Spot: [roll0]
If necessary Untrained Hide: [roll1]

Cats Spot Check: [roll2]

And if necessary E'Thendril sits in the direction he came from, towards the centre of the city.

Zoomba
2012-07-14, 08:27 PM
Pyx considers a moment before he answers. Damn. I really should start asking more about these little jobs I take. Finally he responds. "Could very well. Might even get to tonight, though that's not exactly the plan." He nods towards Eranond. "Word is some people don't care much for the man-of-the-symbol there. Political disagreements and all. For now me and some friends are tasked with protection duty." Sensing a potential follow-up: "And no, I don't know who or what those 'political differences' are. Way I see it, you attack a priest under shadow of darkness you're not exactly on the noblest cause yourself."

The last line is utter bull of course. In fact, if things had gone the other way Pyx himself would have been perfectly willing to do a nighttime rough-up. It's only practical after all. Still, his own ignorance as to why exactly Eranond's being targeted is probably not something he should be advertising right now.

Meanwhile, Pyx notices the elf and the bard exiting the tavern, clearly in deep discussion with each other. What is that fool doing? He takes a deep breath and sighs. I suppose I did open the doors for him to try his hand at recruiting. Him though? Cor!Why couldn't he just wait and follow a lead? Pyx's own compliance in the matter does nothing to ease his tension.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-14, 09:25 PM
Bertrand sits alone at the table and watches E'Thendril and what's-his-name leave to cover the exits. Bertrand shrugs and turns to look at Pyx and the foul mouthed young woman. It was clear that the woman was agitated and Pyx was becoming increasingly tense, exacerbated further by the exit of E'Thendril and... Dang it... What was it? He strains to listen to their conversation.

He sighed. Still nothing.

He gets up and strides over to Pyx and the woman.

"Evenin' ma'am. he greets her then turns to Pyx. " Our new friends are just covering the exits in case anyone decides to try and catch us by surprise. He says quietly to Pyx, but wouldn't be surprised if the woman heard him.

Wordplay
2012-07-15, 02:38 PM
Alleyn hides in a bale of hay by the side of the tavern. In fact, he hides so well that when he's in place, he tries to look around, and finds it almost impossible to make out anything more than vague shapes beyond the hay bale.

Hmm...perhaps a little more work on the watching, and a little bit less on the hiding. Also, where did I leave my guitar?

Alleyn decides the hiding place is impractical, and crawls out, finding his guitar propped up by the side.

Um, maybe if I just try looking inconspicuous

Fresh Spot Check: [roll0]
Bluff Check to look inconspicuous: [roll1]

ExtravagantEvil
2012-07-15, 06:10 PM
Alleyn

As you strain your eyes to keep an eye out, you shift your position so unnaturally that you come off less as calm, and more paranoid and unsettling to passers by.

Malak'ai
2012-07-15, 09:03 PM
Nodding again at the dark haired boys answer, Selina takes another step back, seeming to relax a little.
She looks over her shoulder as the large, older man walks up to them and leans in to talk to the dark haired youth, she tries listening in.

Listen check: [roll0]

ExtravagantEvil
2012-07-15, 10:18 PM
Selena

You can clearly over hear the conversation

Zoomba
2012-07-16, 11:11 AM
As Bertrand comes up to him, Pyx stifles an exasperated sigh. Professionalism. All he asks for is a little professionalism.

"Wonderful. Thanks for the heads up. Now head back to your table and relax. No one will start anything here and I'll let you know when it's time."

Malak'ai
2012-07-16, 07:56 PM
Crossing her arms over her chest, "Well you can count me in, as long as it's not something to make the lives of normal citizens harder. I don't know why anyone would be after a clergyman from any of the temples, but if one of my arrows saves him, it better be for the good of all... Now, I think I had better take over from that fool outside, he's likely to get himself hurt out there in the dark."
Turning, she walks back into the street, looking round and finding her target, fooling around and looking so out of place he'd be better off screaming his intentions.
Slowly making her way past him she whispers, "Your friend says to get back inside and do what your good at and leave the subterfuge to those who are actually good at it.". Moving just round the corner slightly into the deeper shadows, Selina hunkers down with her bow beside her and one of the quivers within easy reach, making it look like she is settling down for the night.

Hide Check: [roll0]

Wordplay
2012-07-17, 08:57 AM
I could cast detect magic. but at that moment Alleyn remembers E'Thendril 'a few cantrips can save your life'. I can only manage two a day. Blast, I wish I'd been more attentive to those mental strengthening exercises Master used to set...

Then Selina whispers in Alleyn's ear. Alleyn is somewhat chagrined.

'Hey, I only take...'

orders from Magister E'Thendril, was what Alleyn was about to say, but then he thinks Subteruge, remember subterfuge

'Um...thanks'. Alleyn mutters to the plain girl who's just walked past him, and heads back into the bar, he looks around for anyone he might know.

Spot Check [roll0]

Machuchang
2012-07-17, 01:27 PM
Dennon turned his head to Pyx after the young woman and the gruff-looking man had left.

"You handled that very well, Pyx," Dennon said earnestly. "The girl's a real firebrand, though. Are you sure it was a good idea to take her on? Not that I'm questioning your judgment!" He quickly added, before continuing. "It's just that, well, I know her sort, and you never know exactly just how far their convictions will take them."

ExtravagantEvil
2012-07-17, 01:37 PM
Pyx

As you struggle to keep some control over your newly found partners, you realize you might want to get your employer informed about your new found friends. You estimate you have about 30 minutes left before sundown, as the bar starts to fill up more, as the work day ends for many.

D_Man_7733
2012-07-17, 04:59 PM
"hmm? I think I've seen her before..." after scanning though his mind for names or something similar, E'Thendril finally gives up, and snaps his book shut.

E'Thendril gives a little whistle to call Garren, and proceeds to enter the Blue Eagle once more.

E'Thendril approaches the bartender and asks again for some wine.

OOC:What exactly is the Blue Eagle? A tavern, a bar, or an inn? If you can get rooms here E'Thendril asks and pays for one,(not for the entire night though)

Zoomba
2012-07-17, 06:15 PM
Pyx turns to Dennon with a thin but genuine smile on his face. "She may be a bit of a wild card, but she'll e good in a fight and if...when she goes off I don't think it will be on us."

Suddenly, he notices out of the corner of his eye that the bar is starting to get crowded once more. Glancing out the window, Pyx notes that daylight is beginning to fade. Best be about it quickly then. He slides off his seat and turns to Dennon. "Stay put for now; I'm going to slip out quickly and meet with our contact. I won't be long. If he," Nod to Eranond. "leaves, follow him carefully and have one of you run to the Bronze Boar. The elf knows where it is."

With that Pyx gives a warm nod to E'Thendril and Bertrand (and Alleyn as he passes the bard) and walks to the door. Exiting the bar, Pyx heads briskly down the street to see Bartok, quickening his stride as he gets further from the Eagle.

Malak'ai
2012-07-17, 06:40 PM
Still keeping low in the shadows, Selina notices the Elf and his little cat return inside alittle before the dark haired youth leaves, I wonder where he's off to in such a hurry she thinks, following him with her eyes before returning to keeping watch.

Spot check: [roll0]
Listen check [roll1]

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-17, 08:46 PM
Bertrand sits at his designated spot feeling very lonely. *Hmph* During the war at least, they left us in pairs when they put us on guard duty.

He noticed as it was getting later, more people were coming in. At this point he realized that this would be a convenient spot for a political killing. He quickly glances about the room for anything suspicious.

Search [roll0]

Machuchang
2012-07-17, 09:31 PM
After Pyx left, Dennon scanned the room to try and pick out the other members of the team. He noted the tough-looking man from earlier sitting alone, and got up to join him.

"Hello," Dennon smiled as he extended his hand. "The name's Dennon. I'm with Pyx. Mind if I sit down?"

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-17, 10:03 PM
Surprised, Bertrand takes the extended hand. "Please have a seat. My name's Bertrand. It looks like you've entered our little cabal too, eh? What do you bring to the party?"

ExtravagantEvil
2012-07-17, 10:30 PM
Pyx

You scuttle back towards the Bronze Boar, and see Bartok, staring into the window after he seemingly just finished staring into a new Ale.

He spots you and signals you over

So, you got a gang I take it? I'd normally wait for you to say it, and you look like you are in a hurry...as you should be, your cargo's going to leave soon...now, the next thought on your mind...if you defend him, 500 gold for each of your new buddies, so how many, and don't lie to me. I learnt a lot being part of the guard.

Machuchang
2012-07-18, 12:48 AM
"Thank you, Bertrand. It's a pleasure to meet you," Dennon said with a smile. "And I guess you could say that I'm sort of a priest of St. Cuthbert's. I'm not too shabby a healer anyway, and judging from the type of job this is, I suppose I might come in handy."

Wordplay
2012-07-18, 03:35 PM
Alleyn pauses in the doorway, then rejoins Dennon and Bertrand at their table.

What, another Priest of St. Cuthbert? This is starting to look like a Church procession! Maybe this is just Church business...hmm...Magister E'Thendril did say that clerics might be interested in the new tower. Well hopefully he can impress them enough to gain their support. Aided by me, of course, in my own small way'.

'Alleyn Volen, at your service' Alleyn gives a little bow to Dennon. 'So, are we all to be engaged on this escort duty? Seems like a lot to walk a drunk man home'.

Alleyn's not loud, but he hasn't really bothered to lower his voice either.

Machuchang
2012-07-18, 04:37 PM
"Pleasure to meet you, Alleyn," Dennon extended his hand to the bard. "And I'm not with the Church. Not any longer. Anyway," He said, quickly changing the subject. "Who's Magister E'Thelendril? Is he our employer?"

Wordplay
2012-07-18, 04:53 PM
'I met the Magister this evening, and he's the one who mentioned the job to me. I'm not sure who our employers are, but I believe that they contact us through the gentleman Pyx' Alleyn sniffs.

Zoomba
2012-07-18, 08:34 PM
"Yeah, found a crew of five. Not exactly clandestine masterminds but they're up for it and they'll do. They will do, right?" A slight questioning tone slips into Pyx's words. He's ready, but even flush with adrenaline the man recognizes Bartok's the old pro at this game. "I need to get back, and soon. Anything else I should know. Say, who's expected to jump the cargo, how many of them, where's the mark going?" Trying to slip it in as an afterthought, "Oh, and I've got an anti-Imperial on it. Anything reason I might have to finesse this thing?"

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-19, 08:16 AM
"Yes, there seems to be quite the force at work here. I can't help but worry that this is going to go beyond helping an old man to his home." Bertrand says. "I get the feeling that we may have to deal with some sort of follow up."

ExtravagantEvil
2012-07-19, 11:19 AM
Pyx

Bartok chuckles slightly
You tell me if they're good enough, you found them, and chose them. I don't know who is going to try and take the "good father's" life, but it'll happen. Probably. All I heard word of was that a lot of the kids don't like him in this neighborhood, and that he's a major purist and traditionalist. So maybe a freak or two'll climb out of the wood work.

Hearing your constant onslaught of questions, his chuckle turns to a stern frown.

Are you getting soft? You should know by now that I told you everything you have to know to do the job.
This guy'll go wherever he wants too, so you better keep up.
On that Rebel you have with you though ... In a scuffle like this, the Rebels might hit them anyway, so it'll just turn into your guy killing men, not allies. Now get your fancy clothes back there, it's nearly sundown.

He gestures vaguely at the door, as he continues into his ale. His eyes revealing a man downtrodden and tired by the years, each wrinkle on his face a road of experience traveled.

D_Man_7733
2012-07-19, 06:43 PM
With Wine in hand, E'Thendril approaches the table where Alleyn and Bertrand are sitting with the cleric, he pulls a chair out for him, and another for Garren.

"Hello Bertrand, Alleyn, is this our new associate? It is a pleasure to meet you, I'm E'Thendril." E'Thendril holds his hand out. "and this is Garren" E'Thendril nods to the cat now sitting on the chair grooming himself.

Zoomba
2012-07-19, 07:01 PM
Pyx shirks under the dwarf's hard tone. He's right of course: Pyx has enough to go on, any longer would be just blatant stalling. So best get to it then...

"Catch you tomorrow then," he tells Bartok, rigidly, professionally. Then he exits the Boar and jogs back towards e Blue Eagle, praying (to no god in particular) both that the damn priest is still drinking and that his new 'team' hasn't thrown the game away in his abscence.

Malak'ai
2012-07-19, 07:10 PM
From her hiding spot in the shadows, Selina watches as the dark haired youth comes jogging back up the street, looking a bit anxious. Hmmm... Either he's worried about something or this thing is about to go down, might pay to make sure.

Stepping out of the ally she takes a long look round before stopping the young man, "So... It's on? When can we expect some... Visitors?" she whispers, joining him on his return to the Eagle

Spot Check: [roll0]

Machuchang
2012-07-20, 01:14 AM
Dennon turned back to Bertrand and gave a slight smile.

"Well, if that's how it's going to go, so be it," He said with a slight chuckle. "But whatever happens, I hope it all ends well,"

Wordplay
2012-07-20, 04:36 PM
Alleyn looks around.

'An odd bunch. But still, it's just for a job for tonight, it's not like I'm going to be spending the rest of my life with these people. Though I'll hopefully keep working with master E'Thendril. It seems like most of the crew don't know who the backer is. The only one I need investigate is the organiser - Pyx

Alleyn raises his tankard (he's been nursing that ale).

'Gentlemen, a toast, to our success this evening'

Alleyn felt tired. It already seemed like it had been a long night.

Zoomba
2012-07-21, 10:44 AM
As Pyx reaches the Eagle, he's momentarily startled by the archer's approach.Sloppy Pyx, better be more aware tonight. Still, at least this means one of his recruits isn't too bad at stealth.

"We're set. When he leaves, we'll head out too at a distance. Not sure when trouble might come so be on your guard."

Walking ahead of her, Pyx opens the door to the tavern and sees the four others sitting together. He takes a seat at a table next to them.

ExtravagantEvil
2012-07-21, 07:24 PM
Finally, as you wait, the minutes drag on, each of you looking as inconspicuous as possible in the tavern, after all the moving and excitement that took place.

The sun has set, and it has finished it's job, demanding rest, so the creatures of night begin to play, as does the Priest. After having a table with a good 5 ale mugs all to himself, he stands and curtly leaves. He seems to have a funny step to himself, as he leaves slowly, despite his powerful frame.

You can roll Sense Motive if you'd like on the Priest

D_Man_7733
2012-07-21, 08:23 PM
E'Thendril finishes the wine that had been left untouched until now, and when he puts it down onto the table. I guess it all begins now He thinks to himself, as he watches the priest leave, there was something off about him.

[roll0]

Zoomba
2012-07-21, 10:43 PM
Pyx notes Eranond's departure with forced cold interest. Showtime.

Sweeping a tankard to the floor with his hand, he leans down next to the other table with his crew as he picks the mug up. "All right. Head out after I leave, one or two at a time. Stay back, don't spook him, but keep within sight of either him or one of us. You," he mutters to The brazen archer, ""stick by me closer to him, if you can track worth a damn." As he rises back up, "Let's get to work."

With that Pyx places the glass back on the tale and slips outside. Once outside the building, Pyx glances around looking both for his target and any deserted alleyways or nooks nearby.

Spot Check: 1d20 -2

Also, if Selina stayed outside instead of following him in (not quite sure) then Pyx talks to her about sticking close once he exits

Machuchang
2012-07-22, 02:33 AM
Dennon nodded when Pyx finished speaking. One or two at a time, huh? He thought to himself, before leaning back into his chair I guess I better stay back for the moment. I don't want to get in the way. In the meantime, though... Dennon sized up the priest.

Sense Motive: [roll0]

I wonder what he's up to.

Wordplay
2012-07-22, 07:43 AM
Alleyn nods.

'Alright, I'll go next. Who wants to come with me?

Sense Motive on the Priest
[roll0]

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-22, 09:15 AM
Bertrand nods back.

"Let's get this party started.

Sense Motive on the priest: [roll0]
Search Check to see if anyone is following us or the priest: [roll1]

Malak'ai
2012-07-22, 07:56 PM
Selina watches from just outside the door as the old Priest walks out of the tavern. Here we go, lets see where this rabbits warren is..
Melting back into the shadows, she creeps along just behind him, noticing the dark haired youth doing the same.

Hide Check: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

Wordplay
2012-07-23, 11:20 AM
Alleyn motions to Bertrand that they should leave next. Alleyn leaves the Blue Eagle, following behind Selina and Pyx, as they wind through the darkening streets, enjoying the night-time cool as the air cools, and the dust kicked up in the day settles.

I must keep that Pyx in sight.

Move Silently [roll0]
Spot [roll1]
Listen [roll2]

D_Man_7733
2012-07-24, 02:04 AM
After waiting for a little after Bertrand and Alleyn had gone, E'Thendril picks up his now-empty wine cup, and taps his finger on the table, looking at Dennon, expectantly.

"I do believe it is about time to retire from this scene, I believe I will make my way out, if that is okay?" E'Thendril's speech is barely above a whisper, and he moves past the bar, placing his wine cup there on the way out.

As E'Thendril looks around for Alleyn and Bertrand, he sends Garren to walk slightly in between him and the others, so he can still catch up if the others speed up suddenly. E'Thendril follows the others casually, attempting to avoid the attention of those wandering the streets.

Move Silently: [roll0]
Hide: [roll1]

ExtravagantEvil
2012-07-24, 11:27 PM
Dennon, E'Thendril, and Alleyn

You notice an odd behavior in your target, as he walks away, you can tell he's suspicious of you, each of your rag tag band, and tosses a swift eye on each of the party members as his cloak and priestly robes seem warm in the suddenly chilly evening air.

Pyx and those following him out right now

You see the brilliant white of his cloth stick out in the reddish hue of the twilight sky, and it billows like a sail heading to the right, further into the heart of the city, up the main road.

Bertrand

You can't see anyone following you right now.

Alleyn

Since he is a party member and you are following him directly, I say you see him. He's not sneaking away from you.

Wordplay
2012-07-25, 07:02 PM
Alleyn continues to scurry along after Selina and Pyx.

What's going on? It's almost as if we're headed into a trap...I hope that we've not been played false. I must report this to Argent as soon as I can.

D_Man_7733
2012-07-25, 07:29 PM
Continueing to follow Garren, at a steady pace E'Thendril beings to contemplate. What's going on... Come on Garren, can you feel anything?

Checking the Empathetic Link if Garren can sense anything (they say animals are a good judge of character:smalltongue:)
FOR THE CAT!
Hide (a bit late but okay): [roll0]
Sense Motive: [roll2]
Spot: [roll3]
Listen: [roll4]

Lots of rolls this post

Malak'ai
2012-07-25, 07:40 PM
Ducking in and out of the shadows as she follows the old Cleric, Selina takes a quick glance around, Why's he going this way? There's not much that would be of interest to him up this way....

Checking behind her to make sure the others have followed and nodding as she see's at least some of them making an effort to keep inconspicous.
Adjusting the quivers of her hip and lightening the grip on her bow she goes back to keeping an eye out for anything that could jump out at them.

Listen Check: [roll1]
Sense Motive: [roll2]
Hide Check: [roll3]
Move Silently: [roll4]

Zoomba
2012-07-25, 09:50 PM
Pyx smiles as he spots the priest's cloak. It's bright, a good marker against the grime of the city. He begins to stride down the road as well, careful to keep a good deal of space between himself and the target. A quick glance behind shows that the others have begun to move as well. Good.

Or is it too good? He tries to push his doubt aside but a niggling feeling gnaws at Pyx. What if the old man noticed me in the bar? If he's got our faces marked... Pyx grimaces. He doesn't want to do this. Shouldn't in fact. But...But Bartok's giving you a shot. And this goes sour there might not be another. Meaning it has to work. Any means necc.

As Pyx walks down the road he steels himself and peers about the street quickly, looking for an obscured space where he might be able to 'shift'.

Spot (for abandoned nook to pop in): [roll2]

ExtravagantEvil
2012-07-26, 09:15 AM
Pyx

Walking up the road, you see many alleyways to hop into at a moments notice, all there among the taverns and brothels.

E'Thendril

Garren sends you no negative emotions as of yet, he seems to feel curious, but a twinge of his whiskers shows that even he's wary of what may come.

You notice the priest seems to cut a hard right, disappearing from view. You can guess he was a good 20 yards ahead of you.

Zoomba
2012-07-26, 01:03 PM
At the priest's sudden move Pyx swears to himself. I was right, he must have been spooked. Well no time now for hesitation. Pyx does a dart of his own into an alleyway to the right, jogging down the narrow corridor until he reaches a point where no one else is around. He sighs, then he focuses on the change. Lower height 4 inches. Widen slightly. Rigid jaw, slightly beaten. Hair lighter, tawny. He pictures a figure in his mind's eye as his features shift slightly in the shadows.

A scant few seconds later and it's done. Pulling his cloak slightly over his face to mask the full extent of the changes, Pyx rushes quickly to the end of the alleyway. He slows as he rejoins the street, moving at a brisk pace as he makes up for the lost time.

Ideally Pyx would pick an alley that run to a parallel street to the right, hoping that might be where Eranond went. If the alley's aren't like that, he'd just backtrack to the first road and double-time it.

Also, when Pyx catches up with the target he will walk past him and remain slightly ahead of him.

Finally, disguise check if needed: [roll0]

Wordplay
2012-07-26, 06:23 PM
Spot Check [roll0]

Hmm...where did Pyx go? It's like he vanished into thin air.

Alleyn's eyes struggle to pierce the gloom, then he picks up on Selina, and continues following her.

There's someone else with her now, or, wait, is that Pyx? Alleyn can't make it out either way.

A sense of unease grips Alleyn, and he reaches into his pack, and feels the comforting shape of a certain vial in his hand.

Machuchang
2012-07-27, 04:00 AM
Something's up with that priest! Dennon realized, but by then the rest of the party had gone. He knows!

He quickly rose to his feet, before pausing, taking a second to regain his composure.

No... I can't be too obvious/ If they do end up needing me, then the least I can do is to avoid being noticed. He walked to the door.

By the Saint, I hope I'm wrong.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-27, 08:41 AM
Although Bertrand couldn't see anything wrong with the priest, the reactions of his companions told him something was off. He quickens his pace to keep up with the group while fingering his crossbow.

Some escort mission this is! He wonders to himself.

D_Man_7733
2012-07-27, 04:14 PM
E'Thendril, mumbling to himself speeds up slightly so he doesn't fall too far behind. This doesn't feel right E'Thendril's eyes float up to the rooftops of the buildings around him, and then up to the moon. There has to be SOMETHING

Knowledge: (Geaography/Local)

[roll0]
Geography +5
Local +5
Religion +6 (if he's going to a church maybe?)

Not sure which would give me any knowledge of where he might be going.

Malak'ai
2012-07-27, 06:56 PM
Selina stops as the short, stout, light haired grizzled man speeds past her and the old priest, I'm not liking this, something feels wrong. she muses as her stomach tightens, There must be somewhere around here I can get a better view from.
Stepping back into the shadows more she starts looking around for a covered, raised vantage point.

Search Check: [roll0]
Spot Check: [roll1]
Hide Check: [roll2]

Wordplay
2012-07-29, 06:00 AM
Alleyn's heart is pounding.

Something's gone wrong he looks over at Bertrand

'Quick, we'd better get up there, I can't see Pyx anywhere'.

Then Alleyn starts running to catch up with Selina, the glass vial in his hand.

For EE
Vial of Alchemists' Fire

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-29, 01:21 PM
Bertrand shivers, trying to repulse that same feeling if dread he felt at Yossarian.

This is going to get messy, isn't it? he wonders aloud to himself as he draws his crossbow.

Search [roll0]
Spot [roll1]

Malak'ai
2012-07-30, 01:24 AM
While searching for a higher vantage point, Selina hears the sounds of running feet. Looking behind her she see's that preening fool of a Bard running straight towards her. Shaking her head she says "What are you doing you $#%^!@% fool! You'll give us away! Stop *&#$!@^ running!" in a low, urgent voice before going back to trying to find higher ground where she can get a better view of the area, and where the target is headed.

Machuchang
2012-07-30, 12:46 PM
Dennon scanned the street as he walked out of the tavern.

[roll0]
If Search: +0
If Spot: +3

I hope I'm not too late! He grimaced as he hustled down the road.

Wordplay
2012-07-30, 06:13 PM
Alleyn slows a little, to a hurried walk next to Selina.

She's right, I'd better be careful.

'Where's Pyx?' he whispers in hushed tones.

Alleyn looks to see if he's caught the attention of the Priest, and puts the vial into his belt pouch, where he can easily reach for it. A plan is forming in his head to allay the Priest's fears, if he's caught his attention.

D_Man_7733
2012-07-30, 11:23 PM
Seeing the priest hustle quickly past him and nearly step on Garren, as well as everyone in front of him preparing themselves, E'Thendril hurries up to Garren and tells him to stay close.

What's going on... has something gone wrong? E'Thendril hurries his steps, and he forms brief symbols and mutters under his breathe as frost begins forming on his hands.

OOC:
could garren be small enough fit inside my cloak... if so it would probably have a special pocket for him

Malak'ai
2012-07-30, 11:30 PM
Selina looks at the Bard, annoyed she has to spell things out for him, "I don't #$&!@#* know, I lost him at that ally back there. Now shut up and make sure the others keep !@^*&#@ quiet as well. I don't know who this new guy up ahead is and I sure as hell don't want to be caught following either him or the Priest."

ExtravagantEvil
2012-07-31, 11:48 AM
E'Thendril

1st: I'll rule Knowledge Local. You can recall that the major areas are a more upscale side of town, known for decent housing accommodations, one of the local churches, and also some more, seedy locations than most people would rather discuss.

And on Garran, sure. Just roll slieght of hand for me, in case someone pats you down, to see whether they find the cat in the pocket (-4 for it being a live animal).

Pyx

When you slide out of the Alleyway, you see the Billowing cloak of the priest as he then drifts to the left.

He doesn't find anything off about you, from what you can tell, and continues down the path you follow him down.

Alleyn

The priest seems not to have noticed your hushed bickering

Dennon

As you dash down the street, you manage to hear the hissed voices of your party members down one of the alley ways and see them, even as they stay cloaked in the shadows.

Selina

You notice, amid the yelling, a perfect vantage point.
There's a small blacksmiths shop with a chimney that dominates the local skyline, flushing out vast amounts of smoke from the top.

Bertrand

As you look around, you see the billowing white cloak of your target

Malak'ai
2012-07-31, 04:05 PM
Selina motions Alleyn onwards, "Stay on him, just keep out of sight. I'm gunna try to get a better look." she says before running off to the blacksmiths.
Looking for a way up before climbing to the roof, then crouching by the chimney, staying below the smoke and looking where the Priest is headed.

Climb Check: [roll0]
Spot Check: [roll1]

Wordplay
2012-07-31, 04:16 PM
'Wait what are you...'

Alleyn trails off as Selina disappears up the chimney and away into the night.

Cursing, he moves to try and keep the Priest in sight, keeping an eye out for Pyx.

Move Silently [roll0]
Spot [roll1]
Listen [roll2]

D_Man_7733
2012-07-31, 05:08 PM
"Okay, Garren, hop in, time to catch up with everyone, if something is going down, I don't want to be late and let everyone down. E'Thendril picks up Garren and slips him into his cloak settling him as quickly as possible, before he picks up the pace to catch up to those in front of him.

Sleight of Hand roll: [roll0]
EDIT: that's not counting the -4... well, time to obey the law.

OOC:

What is the order at the moment? I'm getting:
Pyx
Allayn & Selina > (but Selina is moving somewhere other than straight roads)
Bertrand
Dennon
E'Thendril

So I could probably see Dennon, and a little of Bertrand?

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-31, 07:15 PM
Bertrand continues to follow the priest with his crossbow drawn, hoping the priest won't notice.

Zoomba
2012-08-01, 11:20 PM
Pyx increases his stride slightly, aiming to move ahead of Eratrand. A watcher ahead's less questioned than behind. Now if the others just keep their common sense about them. We're he a religious man, Pyx considered, now would be the time to pray. As it is, his thoughts are answered only by the rhythmic beat of shoes upon the ground.

Malak'ai
2012-08-01, 11:35 PM
Scowling and grumbling to herself about her climb, Selina peers out over the roofs of the surrounding building, scanning the layout of the streets then looks back at the old Cleric, noticing the new man slowly over taking him. What's with this guy? Is he a bodyguard? Is he gunna try something?... And where the #!$% is that moron Pyx? she thinks, trying to figure out what path the Priest will take.

Untrained Knowledge Local: [roll1]

Machuchang
2012-08-02, 02:47 AM
Dennon craned his head to get a better look at the members of his party, before quickly pulling himself back. It wouldn't do to draw any attention to them.

So that's where they've gone to. I guess I'll stay back in case they need me.

ExtravagantEvil
2012-08-03, 09:33 PM
Pyx, Selena, E'Threndril, Bertrand, Alleyn

As the street starts to part ways again, you see that the Eratrand take a hard left again, heading back towards the main road he sneaked away from before, at this point in the eve, his cloak seems to reflect the moonlight, a beacon that is most dangerous at this time of night.

Selena (specifically)

You spot something stumbling about on the roof tops, a swift shadow that hops across one of the rooves, far away from you, in the priest's original path. You can tell from the moonlight that the roof-walker wears red, but nothing else, other than it moving ever closer toward the target.

Shooting at him, since I know that's your first response, :smallwink:, has 50% concealment, and he's about 200 feet away from you.

Bertrand (specifically)

Roll Hide and Move Silently, since you are sneaking behind him and all that.

Malak'ai
2012-08-03, 09:44 PM
Slinging her bow over her shoulder, Selina watches the figure on the roof ahead of her before following it, trying to move as quietly as she can while jumping from roof to roof.

Jump Check: [roll1]

Arranis Thelmos
2012-08-03, 10:03 PM

Wordplay
2012-08-04, 10:00 AM
'Walking alone at night, in this district - that's practically an invitation to be mugged!

Alleyn keeps following the Priest, but starts looking about for anyone else on the street, trying to spot potential robbers and pickpockets.

Move Silently [roll0]
Hide [roll1]
Spot [roll2]
Listen [roll3]

Zoomba
2012-08-07, 09:16 PM
It takes Pyx several strides before he realizes their quarry is no longer following him. Cor!

Turning around, Pyx catches a glimpse of the priest's cloak moving back towards the central street. Figures. They'll waste time to shake a tail yet won't take off that ridiculous vestment. I'll never understand priests... Pyx thinks to himself as he moves to turn down the next connecting alleyway.

Hide (As now will try to keep inconspicuous/out of sight): [roll1]

ExtravagantEvil
2012-08-11, 07:21 PM
Pyx

Roll Spot and Listen

Selena

As you leap across the roof, your foot slips as you watch your new quarry on the roof top, you barely leap across, roll Reflex, and Strength to lift yourself up and over.

Bertrand, Alleyn

You go unnoticed, as far as you can tell anyhow, as the Priest does suddenly duck to the left.

Dennon, E'Thendril
Roll Spot and Listen as you wait

D_Man_7733
2012-08-11, 07:36 PM
E'Thendril:
Listen: [roll1]
a sense motive for how alert Eratand is to people and sounds: [roll2]
I guess a move silently for what is to come in my post: [roll3]

Garren:
Spot:[roll4]
Listen: [roll5]
minus whatever penalty for being hidden under my cloak
EDIT: wow, only 2 rolls over 10...

(Mage hand is invisible right? or is there an actual "etheral" hand floating about?)

E'Thendril starts to look around for exits that he could take to perhaps travel parallel to the street as well as anything out of the ordinary. (using last knowledge: local if I can)I hope I know these streets more than I think I do

If nothing else catches his eye, he finds a parallel alley that runs along the main street where he can keep his eye on Eratand in between buildings.

Malak'ai
2012-08-11, 09:17 PM
"Oh #@%!." Selina whispers as her foot slips and she crashes against the next building, "Hope I don't lose the $%!@&$."
Reaching above herself with all her strength, Selina tries pulling herself up.

Reflex Save: [roll0]
Strength Check: [roll1]
Please, please be good.

Zoomba
2012-08-11, 09:35 PM
As he tails Eratrand, Pyx peers around cautiously to see if there's any sign of his companions. Or others.

Spot:[roll0]

Wordplay
2012-08-12, 09:37 AM
What the...where's the old fool suddenly going? Alleyn wonders.

Alleyn peers around to check to see if anyone's with him, and he thinks that he catches a glimpse of Bertrand. Reassured, Alleyn darts around to the left and follows the Priest around the corner.

Hide [roll0]
Move Silently [roll1]
Spot [roll2]
Listen [roll3]
Sense Motive [roll4]
(To figure out why the Priest ducked suddenly around the corner)

Machuchang
2012-08-12, 01:25 PM
Dennon walked slowly to the entrance of the alleyway and peered inside, hoping that all was going well with his allies.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-08-12, 07:24 PM
Bertrand jumps suddenly at the priest's sudden turn and follows after him. #^$%! He mutters, He's getting erratic, I bet he suspects something.

Spot [roll0]
Search [roll1]
Hide [roll2]
Sense motive [roll3]
Listen [roll4]