PDA

View Full Version : Bullywugs and Kenkus as PC's

Durksmurf
2012-06-20, 05:21 PM
Are Bullywugs and Kenku (as describred in Monster Manual 2) viable PC's? Are they good enough to compete with normal races? Would you play one? What would be good classes for them?

Ashdate
2012-06-20, 06:04 PM
Are Bullywugs and Kenku (as describred in Monster Manual 2) viable PC's? Are they good enough to compete with normal races? Would you play one? What would be good classes for them?

Pretty much any race that gives a +2 bonus to a stat is a viable race in 4e.

The Bullywug's racial power (it's Rancid Air aura) is worthless given that monsters don't tend to spend healing surges, but there's nothing wrong with a +2 con and dex race. They don't match up to halflings unfortunately. They might make a decent Iron Soul Monk.

The Kenku would be great rogues. +3 bonus for flanking (which you want to do anyway) on top of their +2 dex bonus, and their racial power allows for some good RP as you distract enemies.

I don't think I would play a Bullywug without a proper racial power (perhaps a close burst 2 Con attack versus Fortitude to weaken enemies until the end of its next turn), but I would totally play a Kenku.

Durksmurf
2012-06-20, 06:48 PM
Thanks, I'll probably brew' something up for bullywugs. The reason I asked was because one of the players in my group wanted to be either a bullywug or a kenku. I think I'll have him be a home brewed bullywug if he doesnt change his mind, as we already have a changeling rogue in the party.

Adoendithas
2012-06-20, 07:10 PM
Maybe you could make it negate some healing, instead of affecting surges? That would work if there were a leader in there, but it would still be fairly weak.

obryn
2012-06-21, 08:35 AM
Kenkus just got a Dragon writeup. I think it was last month; one of the Winning Races columns.

-O

Durksmurf
2012-06-21, 09:03 AM
I like the healing negation, Adoendithas. It wouldn't be helpful really at 1rst level, but once you start fighting monster's with regeneration(solo monsters) it would be really good. I'll think about it.