PDA

View Full Version : Grapple?

Azernak0
2012-06-20, 05:30 PM
When you are pinning someone, are you considered Prone? In the game I am currently in, we are having a couple problems doing Grapple and Pins. I am a little rusty on the rules in this department, as is basically everyone. Any primers would be appreciated.

Urpriest
2012-06-20, 05:34 PM
Nope. No step of grapple makes either you or the opponent prone. You can pin someone on any surface.

Spiryt
2012-06-20, 06:12 PM
Nope. No step of grapple makes either you or the opponent prone. You can pin someone on any surface.

I'm not sure how rules 'should' be interpreted here, but making victim prone should definitely be an option for someone who's winning the grapple.

Urpriest
2012-06-20, 06:35 PM
I'm not sure how rules 'should' be interpreted here, but making victim prone should definitely be an option for someone who's winning the grapple.

So should lots of other things. Grapple happens to not be designed with that level of detail in mind.

whibla
2012-06-20, 06:45 PM
You are not considered prone, but you do lose any dexterity bonuses to AC against anyone who is not involved in the grapple, and are thus, for example, sneakable by a rogue lurking on the edge of the melee. In addition you do not get to make attacks of opportunity, because while involved in the grapple you do not threaten anything or anyone near you.

IncoherentEssay
2012-06-20, 06:52 PM
You can attack with unarmed strikes though, and Trip says "You can try to trip an opponent as an unarmed melee attack." so i think it's quite possible if not immediately obvious. Anything that could be substituted for an unarmed strike or attack with a light weapon should work.

KillianHawkeye
2012-06-21, 01:04 AM
You can attack with unarmed strikes though, and Trip says "You can try to trip an opponent as an unarmed melee attack." so i think it's quite possible if not immediately obvious. Anything that could be substituted for an unarmed strike or attack with a light weapon should work.

Maybe, although I'm failing to see much benefit in moving your grapple to the floor.

Aeryr
2012-06-21, 01:22 AM
Uhm... what would happen if you grapple (and pin) someone prone then?

Psyren
2012-06-21, 01:28 AM
Uhm... what would happen if you grapple (and pin) someone prone then?

They stay prone since they can't move (and thus can't get up.) You aren't prone yourself, so just imagine your character kneeling on their throat/back or something.