PDA

View Full Version : Spellplague?

AWiz_Abroad
2012-06-20, 10:33 PM
Hey all,

Are there published mechanics of how magic in Faerun under spellplague conditions works?

I'm probably being blind, but I can't find it in the setting books.

Arcanist
2012-06-20, 10:46 PM
Hey all,

Are there published mechanics of how magic in Faerun under spellplague conditions works?

I'm probably being blind, but I can't find it in the setting books.

Not for 3.5 but my group usually just treats all magic as impeded and treat dead magic areas as wild magic.

AWiz_Abroad
2012-06-20, 11:00 PM
Not for 3.5 but my group usually just treats all magic as impeded and treat dead magic areas as wild magic.

I get Wild Magic. . . what is impeded magic?

Arcanist
2012-06-20, 11:01 PM
I get Wild Magic. . . what is impeded magic?

enjoy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/planes.htm#impededMagic)

AWiz_Abroad
2012-06-20, 11:12 PM
enjoy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/planes.htm#impededMagic)

Nice! Thank you for letting me know. . . sorry for my lack of google-saavy. Essentially my low level spell caster with 2nd level arcane spells, and a grand total of 9 in skillcraft would have to roll a 13 or higher on a D20. . . . ouch.

We'll see what the DM does.

Arcanist
2012-06-21, 12:21 AM
Nice! Thank you for letting me know. . . sorry for my lack of google-saavy. Essentially my low level spell caster with 2nd level arcane spells, and a grand total of 9 in skillcraft would have to roll a 13 or higher on a D20. . . . ouch.

We'll see what the DM does.

It really depends on your campaigns level If its non epic you just lower it to 10 + Spell level. If its Epic you change it to 20 + Spell level and add 10 more to the DC every 10 levels. In the campaign we're in right now (and is currently on pause) We are level 40 so the Spellcraft DC would be 40+ Spell level. However since the campaign started off in the Age of Netheril we have access to the Arcana Fundara (+30 inherit to Spellcraft), we're allowed to use Magical items to circumstantially increase our Spellcraft (only when casting Epic Spells).

I've been documenting the weird rules for the campaign that my DM has made over the last year so I can make my own sourcebook for an Age of Netheril campaign setting... Since they never converted Netheril: Empire of Magic to 3.5 so yeah :smallamused:

KillianHawkeye
2012-06-21, 01:02 AM
I thought the spellplague was something they made up to explain why Forgotten Realms 4E was so different from 3E/3.5. :smallconfused:

Arcanist
2012-06-21, 01:06 AM
I thought the spellplague was something they made up to explain why Forgotten Realms 4E was so different from 3E/3.5. :smallconfused:

Not a lot of FR fans liked what happened to the realm in 4E (Especially my friend) so we kind of developed our own rules for a post-Spellplague FR for 3.5

But yes, the Spellplague was essentially an explaination (albeit a bad one) for why 3.5 Abier-Toril was so different from 4E Abier-Toril... :smallannoyed:

KillianHawkeye
2012-06-21, 01:08 AM
But yes, the Spellplague was essentially an explaination (albeit a bad one) for why 3.5 Abier-Toril was so different from 4E Abier-Toril... :smallannoyed:

That's what I thought. Why would the OP expect there to be published 3.5 mechanics for it, then? :smallconfused:

Arcanist
2012-06-21, 01:17 AM
That's what I thought. Why would the OP expect there to be published 3.5 mechanics for it, then? :smallconfused:

I don't know :smallconfused: as much as I'd like to say I know everything I don't...

CelestialStick
2012-06-21, 01:47 AM

He might not have realized that Spellplague was the means that Wizards used to ruin Faerun for 4e.

AWiz_Abroad
2012-06-21, 04:49 PM
He might not have realized that Spellplague was the mans that Wizards used to ruin Faerun for 4e.

Bingo

I now realize off of the FR wiki pages. I'm a player in a 3.5 campaign that just went through the first spell plague storm. I was just curious if anyone had established mechanics.

Beguiler 1/Wizard 2 right now. DC10+ lvl spellcraft check isn't as insane as I'd feared (high INT bonus, and maxed out ranks).

CelestialStick
2012-06-21, 07:40 PM
Bingo

I now realize off of the FR wiki pages. I'm a player in a 3.5 campaign that just went through the first spell plague storm. I was just curious if anyone had established mechanics.

Beguiler 1/Wizard 2 right now. DC10+ lvl spellcraft check isn't as insane as I'd feared (high INT bonus, and maxed out ranks).

Oh, do you think that storm that the medallion protected us from was a Spellplague storm? Since I wasn't previously familiar with Spellplague, I hadn't put the two together. The DM though really hates 4e, so I wouldn't think he would use a 4e story line. I mean in 3.5 story terms, it would make sense for Shar and Cyric to kill Mystra, and the Weave unravelling without her makes sense, as might weird magical storms that specifically target angels with lightning. :smallbiggrin: So maybe it's just that some of these are logical possibilities that have made some of our events similar. Or maybe he liked the idea of Spellplague even though he hates the 4e system.

If he's going all-out Spellplague than Azuth will fall too, and the whole Mulhorandai pantheon will disappear, leaving our cleric formerly of Mystra without a single non-evil god of magic to follow. Of course I still suspect that the fragment of Mystra in the DarkLife globe would grant him spells, but I think if that's the only option, the player, based on what he said after last session, will retire the cleric.

Arcanist
2012-06-21, 08:02 PM
If he's going all-out Spellplague than Azuth will fall too, and the whole Mulhorandai pantheon will disappear, leaving our cleric formerly of Mystra without a single non-evil god of magic to follow. Of course I still suspect that the fragment of Mystra in the DarkLife globe would grant him spells, but I think if that's the only option, the player, based on what he said after last session, will retire the cleric.

Actually after the Spellplague Mystra's current Chosen took her place as providing spells to her Cleric since they possess the necessary Divine Sparks to perform such a task.

Currently it appears possible that Mystra WILL be making an appearance in 5th edition with a resurrection. This is due to the Blueflame items possessing some of the essence of Mystra.

CelestialStick
2012-06-21, 08:35 PM
Actually after the Spellplague Mystra's current Chosen took her place as providing spells to her Cleric since they possess the necessary Divine Sparks to perform such a task.

Currently it appears possible that Mystra WILL be making an appearance in 5th edition with a resurrection. This is due to the Blueflame items possessing some of the essence of Mystra.

Thanks, Arcanist! I doubt our DM is following the story, but this is interesting t know. It's similar to how the last weak edition, 2nd Ed, killed off the popular Orcus, and then the next strong edition, 3rd Ed, resurrected him. I'm afraid that after alienating such a large share of the D&D audience with 4e (so that Pathfinder is the most-played version of the game now) that 5th Ed will be too little, too late for Wizards (especially after the loss of Monte Cook from 5th Ed), but it's good to hear that they're at least trying.

I think in the case of our campaign, the DarkLife orb contains the remnant of Mystra that could become the next Mystra. Faerun does have a history of multiple Mystras, as the DM mentioned in our last session. I think one way or another there will be a new Mystra in his campaign--indeed I think he's run this story line before--but I'm not sure that we will be part of that story line. The DM has pretty much told us that we all have to become vampires like the cleric or the cleric's player has to retire him. Of course it's possible he could retire the character but we could still get caught up in the restoring the Weave story line.

Arcanist
2012-06-21, 08:44 PM
Thanks, Arcanist! I doubt our DM is following the story, but this is interesting t know. It's similar to how the last weak edition, 2nd Ed, killed off the popular Orcus, and then the next strong edition, 3rd Ed, resurrected him. I'm afraid that after alienating such a large share of the D&D audience with 4e (so that Pathfinder is the most-played version of the game now) that 5th Ed will be too little, too late for Wizards (especially after the loss of Monte Cook from 5th Ed), but it's good to hear that they're at least trying.

Meh, I have an alternate opinion of Monte Cook leaving WoTC for the up-tenth time. I'm curious how Ed and Troy and the other FR writers manage to restore the realm to its former glory... I can feel that the next few FR books are going to connect to the 5th ed storyline.

I think in the case of our campaign, the DarkLife orb contains the remnant of Mystra that could become the next Mystra. Faerun does have a history of multiple Mystras, as the DM mentioned in our last session. I think one way or another there will be a new Mystra in his campaign--indeed I think he's run this story line before--but I'm not sure that we will be part of that story line. The DM has pretty much told us that we all have to become vampires like the cleric or the cleric's player has to retire him. Of course it's possible he could retire the character but we could still get caught up in the restoring the Weave story line.

Well to each there own I suppose :smallconfused: I mean its quite unorthodox for a clerics god to just die, and its not completely unreasonable to use the Ur-Priest Adaptation for it so if your Cleric friend is concerned ask your DM if he can use the Ur-Priest adaptation :smallsmile:

CelestialStick
2012-06-21, 09:31 PM
Meh, I have an alternate opinion of Monte Cook leaving WoTC for the up-tenth time. I'm curious how Ed and Troy and the other FR writers manage to restore the realm to its former glory... I can feel that the next few FR books are going to connect to the 5th ed storyline.

Well to each there own I suppose :smallconfused: I mean its quite unorthodox for a clerics god to just die, and its not completely unreasonable to use the Ur-Priest Adaptation for it so if your Cleric friend is concerned ask your DM if he can use the Ur-Priest adaptation :smallsmile:

I just glanced at the ur-priest and he has to be evil, so that would be even worse. The cleric is neutral good, and managed to keep his alignment when he touched the orb. The DM introduced the concept that undead are just "DarkLife," just a different form of life and not automatically evil. In fact using the orb he managed to restore the priestess of Mystra who runs the shrine in town, whom the orb had originally turned into an evil undead, to her former neutral good alignment. Also the player has stated that the character wants to try to restore Mystra, not turn against all gods. So the ur-priest would be even worse, but thanks for the suggestion. Last I heard, he was just thinking of playing a cleric of a different deity and retiring the character.

The Frank One
2012-06-21, 10:44 PM
I just glanced at the ur-priest and he has to be evil, so that would be even worse. The cleric is neutral good, and managed to keep his alignment when he touched the orb. The DM introduced the concept that undead are just "DarkLife," just a different form of life and not automatically evil. In fact using the orb he managed to restore the priestess of Mystra who runs the shrine in town, whom the orb had originally turned into an evil undead, to her former neutral good alignment. Also the player has stated that the character wants to try to restore Mystra, not turn against all gods. So the ur-priest would be even worse, but thanks for the suggestion. Last I heard, he was just thinking of playing a cleric of a different deity and retiring the character.

There is a feat in Lost Empires of Faerun that allows you to be a cleric of a dead diety and get a tiny bonus on a roll 1/day. (Servant of the Fallen P 9) Its a terrible feat but if your group is low-op, who cares? Maybe the DM would just give it to him as a bonus feat and slash the tiny bonus.

Arcanist
2012-06-21, 10:48 PM

Actually the Adaptation for Ur-Priest serving a dead god is pretty much you are a Cleric dedicated to a Dead God and keep the alignments of serving that deity, due to your god being in able send you spells you have to steal them from another deity, most likely the deities that killed your deity :smallamused:

There is a feat in Lost Empires of Faerun that allows you to be a cleric of a dead diety and get a tiny bonus on a roll 1/day. (Servant of the Fallen P 9) Its a terrible feat but if your group is low-op, who cares? Maybe the DM would just give it to him as a bonus feat and slash the tiny bonus.

This is also a good feat as well... Meh, go for it if your DM is willing to just give it to you as a Bonus Feat... :smalltongue:

CelestialStick
2012-06-21, 11:07 PM

Actually the Adaptation for Ur-Priest serving a dead god is pretty much you are a Cleric dedicated to a Dead God and keep the alignments of serving that deity, due to your god being in able send you spells you have to steal them from another deity, most likely the deities that killed your deity :smallamused:

This is also a good feat as well... Meh, go for it if your DM is willing to just give it to you as a Bonus Feat... :smalltongue:

I just read the adaptation and don't see anything about getting to keep your original alignment. It would be funny though to be good and steal spells from the evil slayers of the god. Of course I'm not the DM in this campaign. Also the spells don't stack with his cleric spells, so he would just lose three levels of clerical spellcasting. I mean it makes sense that they don't stack, but simply losing all three of his levels of spellcasting is a tremendous setback for a 3rd-level cleric.

I'm more intrigued by the idea of the Servant of the Fallen. I just pulled out Lost Empires of Faerun and I see what you mean about it basically being a waste of a feat. I'm going to email the cleric's player and let him know about the feat. If we can get his cleric free of the influence of the Patch, and if we can get him restored to life (i.e. no longer an undead) this could be a way for him to continue as a cleric of Mystra. I think since it's basically a waste of a feat and he would be following a dead goddess that he probably wouldn't want to do it, but maybe he would enjoy the roleplaying aspect of continuing along his previous path, devoted to Mystra, even after her death. I'll let him know anyway. Thanks! :smallsmile: