PDA

View Full Version : Epic Spell ideas for this guy?

Yorae
2012-06-21, 12:02 AM
So, this character is in epic levels and planning on taking Epic Spellcasting at level 27.

He's a shapechanging gish, typically buffing up (Bite of the Werebear, +AC spells buffed by Abjurant Champ, etc.) and then wading into combat swinging.

He can reliably make a spellcraft DC of 58 at that level. I have one spell planned to develop already, using the Ward seed to protect him against dispels and antimagic.

However, this leaves me a couple of other epic spell slots per day that would otherwise go unused. I considered a Fortify spell to just give something like +30 CON, but that seems a bit dull. Any clever ideas for other Epic spells that could be useful? Worth noting that this guy has enough ranks in Knowledge(Nature) that the Life and Heal seeds are available to him as well.

Arcanist
2012-06-21, 12:28 AM
Well lets answer the question of: Will your DM mind you exploiting mitigating factors to create the most BS epic spell ever or does he expect your epic spells to apply to some common sense?

Yorae
2012-06-21, 12:33 AM
Well lets answer the question of: Will your DM mind you exploiting mitigating factors to create the most BS epic spell ever or does he expect your epic spells to apply to some common sense?

No contributed spell slots and preferably nothing that takes more than 10 minutes to cast.

Within the bounds of reason, but this is a reasonably high-power game.

Arcanist
2012-06-21, 12:36 AM
No contributed spell slots and preferably nothing that takes more than 10 minutes to cast.

Within the bounds of reason, but this is a reasonably high-power game.

Alright, I recommend making a spell using the Mythal Seed, I'll edit this comment with what I have in mind :smallamused:

Eh... I have 2 spells in mind actually :smallamused:

This is the Mythal spell I had in mind adjust as you'd like...

_'s Mantle

Evocation
Spellcraft DC: 54
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Personal
Target: Caster
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

To develop: 225,000gp; 5 days; 8,280xp

Seeds: Mythal (DC 25); Factors: Vanguard spell: Shapechange -at will (18,000gp), Anointed Spell: Disjunction, Dispel Magic, Greater Dispel Magic (+11,700gp), Prevalent powers: Ring of Weapon Breaking, Ring of Universal Energy Immunity, Ring of Sustenance, Ring of Telekinesis, Ring of Major Spell storing (175,000gp) (+205 DC); Mitigating Factors: Change from area to personal (-2), Capstone (-20), Burn 10,000xp (-100) Corruptible (x3/4), Anchored (x3/4)

[insert desired fluff here]

This one exploits the Mythal seed like hell...

EDIT: Re-created so now its more accurate. Enjoy your Spell Mantle.

Yorae
2012-06-21, 12:37 AM
Alright, I recommend making a spell using the Mythal Seed, I'll edit this comment with what I have in mind :smallamused:

Eh... I have 2 spells in mind actually :smallamused:

Haha.. hopefully this doesn't involve some Ice Assassin or simulacrum shenanigans. =p I'm not too familiar with what all can be done with Mythal.

Arcanist
2012-06-21, 12:56 AM
Haha.. hopefully this doesn't involve some Ice Assassin or simulacrum shenanigans. =p I'm not too familiar with what all can be done with Mythal.

PFFT! I never rely on Ice Assassins or Simulacrum shenanigans... unlike most people on this forum I don't automatically ask "How fast and how bad can I wreck this campaign..."

Yorae
2012-06-21, 01:04 AM
Hmm... correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the DC be much, much higher?

"Total the component costs and divide by 1,000. Add this value to the base Spellcraft DC of the mythal seed."

Shouldn't that make the DC of that spell 226?

kardar233
2012-06-21, 01:10 AM
You also might want to look into a ward against dispelling, AMF or Disjunctioning.

Arcanist
2012-06-21, 01:11 AM
Hmm... correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the DC be much, much higher?

"Total the component costs and divide by 1,000. Add this value to the base Spellcraft DC of the mythal seed."

Shouldn't that make the DC of that spell 226?

Ah damn, your right I keep forgetting that small note, Well I gotta re-write it then :smalltongue: Just give the spell a capstone, Anchor it and make it Corruptible.

EDIT: modified the spell to make it more accurate and yes, adding the Ward seed would help but eh, I just decided to anoint the spells... Sure they remove his own ability to cast them but so would a ward spell... If you want immunity to Disjunction, and dispelling effects you can't be able to cast them yourselfs... kind of suckish... :smallannoyed:

Yorae
2012-06-21, 11:26 AM
Cool - looks like you can do some interesting stuff with Mythal.

The Underlord
2012-06-21, 11:29 AM
Where is the Mythtal Seed located? It doesn't appear on the srd so I just wanted to know.

Arcanist
2012-06-21, 11:33 AM
Where is the Mythtal Seed located? It doesn't appear on the srd so I just wanted to know.

Lost Empires of Faerun, quite a good read if I say so myself :smallsmile:

Jack of Trades
2012-07-07, 10:00 PM
Not to be a spoil sport, but everytime you took a hit you would have to perform a mythal integrity check. This is because you are the capstone and any change (i.e. hit point damage) would make the check necessary. Not to mention grappling with a creature of opposite alignment could also corrupt your mythal.

Bad news when your mythal starts losing or changing powers. Take a hit for one point of damage and maybe your protection from xyz becomes uncontrollable plant growth. Where ever you stroll...plants plants plants. :smallsmile:

As far as epic spells, I created a rather mundane epic spell that gives a big boost to armor.

My Epic Armor Spell
Conjuration (Creation) [Force]
Spellcraft DC: 48
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 11 minutes
Range: Touch
Target: Creature Touched
Duration: 48 Hours (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
To Develop: 432,000 gp; 9 days; 17,280 XP. Seed: armor (DC 14). Factor: Double duration (+2 DC). +33 additional armor bonus (+66 DC). Mitigating Factors: Increase casting time by 10 minutes (-20 DC).

Provides +37 armor bonus or +37 natural armor bonus. Type of bonus is determined at time of casting.
Other than the bonus value all other benefits for Mage Armor are applicable.

Material component: None
XP cost: None

Since the Armor seed specifically states that it can enhance either the armor bonus OR natural armor bonus, determining the type of bonus at casting time is reasonable.

Combined this would give two people, over a course of two days, an armor class enhancement of +74.
Who said armor isn’t an effective way of not getting hit? Let’s see those epic creatures hit you now!
Just beware dispelling effects.

BTW having 20 ranks of knowledge: natural does not make you a divine spellcaster. You must be able to cast 9th level divine spells.