PDA

View Full Version : Erasing Posts.

Seramus
2012-06-21, 03:25 AM
If I create a thread and someone responds to it, do I have the power to delete the other persons response in any capacity? Or is this an ability restricted to moderators?

Iruka
2012-06-21, 04:44 AM
No, this is not possible. Why would you even want to do that? :smallconfused:

If you think someone is trolling or you're afraid their posts will get your thread locked, you can report them to the Mods before it gets out of hand.

KillianHawkeye
2012-06-21, 07:08 AM
Once you release a thread into the wild, it is free to find its own destiny. :smallwink::smallamused:

The Dark Fiddler
2012-06-21, 09:19 AM
Once you release a thread into the wild, it is free to find its own destiny. :smallwink::smallamused:

Something to note about this is that, once you post a thread, it isn't your thread anymore. You hold no real control over it, other than what other posters might give you as the creator of it. You can't really direct the flow of conversation and get upset when people don't listen (not sure if that's what happened or not, but it's just a "so you know" thing, you know?).

But yes, report the post if it breaks the rules.

Rockphed
2012-06-21, 04:00 PM
Something to note about this is that, once you post a thread, it isn't your thread anymore. You hold no real control over it, other than what other posters might give you as the creator of it. You can't really direct the flow of conversation and get upset when people don't listen (not sure if that's what happened or not, but it's just a "so you know" thing, you know?).

But yes, report the post if it breaks the rules.

The homebrew forum is the only exception to this, and even there thread creators are only given necromancy and double post privileges.

I just looked through the rules and could not find the relevant section. Obviously I must increase my search modifier.:smallfrown:

Siosilvar
2012-06-21, 06:05 PM
The homebrew forum is the only exception to this, and even there thread creators are only given necromancy and double post privileges.

I just looked through the rules and could not find the relevant section. Obviously I must increase my search modifier.:smallfrown:

Ctrl-F: "Homebrew":

Thread Necromancy
Bringing a thread back from "the dead." If a thread hasn't been posted in within the last six weeks, don't reply to it. Start a new topic, if you want to discuss the subject (you are welcome to link to the old thread). If you think it would be better to resurrect an old thread, PM a moderator for that subforum and wait for approval. The original poster of a creation in Homebrew (and only that poster) may revive a creation beyond the six-week threshold without prior Moderator approval.

There's nothing in the Double Post bit, but there's this from a recent thread:

Great Modthulhu: That's more-or-less correct. The prohibitions on Double Posting and Thread Necromancy are lifted for Homebrewers posting in their own created thread, but the post must have actual content or else it will violate the Minor Spam rule.

Other than that, thread creators have pretty much no power over the threads. One post is just the same as another, regardless of whether or not it's the first in a thread.

Mystic Muse
2012-06-21, 06:10 PM
Since it's fairly on topic, I'd like an official mod ruling on this real quick.

I know telling other posters not to post is against the rules, but is politely asking them to take an off topic discussion somewhere else (Say, talking about the D&D cartoon in a homebrew thread) against the rules?

Jimorian
2012-06-21, 06:50 PM

I know telling other posters not to post is against the rules, but is politely asking them to take an off topic discussion somewhere else (Say, talking about the D&D cartoon in a homebrew thread) against the rules?

I'll let a mod answer that particular question directly, but the best way to get a thread back on topic is to simply post something that's on topic to rerail the subject. Just posting to complain about other posts is a bad idea no matter what forum you're on, and whether it is allowed or not doesn't factor into its ineffectiveness. A combination of the 2 is what I'll sometimes try elsewhere, but most of the time, I prefer to simply add signal to boost the S/N ratio.

NerfTW
2012-06-21, 07:23 PM
I'll let a mod answer that particular question directly, but the best way to get a thread back on topic is to simply post something that's on topic to rerail the subject. Just posting to complain about other posts is a bad idea no matter what forum you're on, and whether it is allowed or not doesn't factor into its ineffectiveness. A combination of the 2 is what I'll sometimes try elsewhere, but most of the time, I prefer to simply add signal to boost the S/N ratio.

Indeed. Quite often directly addressing off topic posts results in a bunch of posters also giving their 2 cents on the situation and... wait a minute, am I doing that right now? :smalleek:

Roland St. Jude
2012-06-21, 08:15 PM

I know telling other posters not to post is against the rules, but is politely asking them to take an off topic discussion somewhere else (Say, talking about the D&D cartoon in a homebrew thread) against the rules?Yes. It's covered under vigilante modding. Don't tell other posters what to do.

Snowbody
2012-06-21, 09:05 PM
The only special "control" the original poster in a thread has is to change the thread title, and even that is only for a short time after the thread is started.

Rockphed
2012-06-21, 10:24 PM
Ctrl-F: "Homebrew":

I was actually talking about the rules about how a thread creator retains no control over the thread.

Siosilvar
2012-06-21, 10:37 PM
I was actually talking about the rules about how a thread creator retains no control over the thread.

Okay, that one stumps me too. I distinctly remember it in the old rules, but it seems to have disappeared last time they updated them.

Zherog
2012-06-22, 10:24 AM

Tagging on to what's been said, I've reported posts in the past for this sort of thing. Generally, I'll pick the last thread in the chain of off-topic posts and report that one; I let the mods know that the reported thread isn't the only one causing the problem, and ask if they wouldn't mind making a "red post" to try and nudge things back on topic.

I've only done so a handful of times, and each time a red post has appeared. Whether or not anything more happens behind the scenes, of course, I have no idea.

As with any reported post, though, the more info you provide the mod squad, the better.

Roland St. Jude
2012-06-22, 01:26 PM
Tagging on to what's been said, I've reported posts in the past for this sort of thing. Generally, I'll pick the last thread in the chain of off-topic posts and report that one; I let the mods know that the reported thread isn't the only one causing the problem, and ask if they wouldn't mind making a "red post" to try and nudge things back on topic.

I've only done so a handful of times, and each time a red post has appeared. Whether or not anything more happens behind the scenes, of course, I have no idea.

As with any reported post, though, the more info you provide the mod squad, the better.Indeed. The proper course is to report the issue and let a mod nudge the individual or thread as necessary. You can report the post where you think it took an off-topic tangent or some later post where it became clear to you that it's on a tangent. But either way, give us as much info and explanation as you can.