PDA

View Full Version : Wild Shape Questions

VGLordR2
2012-06-21, 11:41 AM
Hey, guys. I'm starting up a Mulhorandi Divine Minion/Master of Many Forms, and I have quite a few questions regarding Wild Shape.

1) I want my character to eventually be able to Wild Shape into nearly everything. Are there any ways to Wild Shape into any of the following types?
Celestial, Construct, Fiend, Magical Beast, Outsider, Undead. Also, is there a way to gain the ability to Wild Shape into Animals? The early entry trick I used only allows one or two animals.

2) Are there any ways to increase your effective number of hit dice to expand the number of available forms?

3) Are there any ways to acquire the (Sp) abilities of a creature?

4) Are there any ways to acquire the spells that a creature can cast?

5) The wording on Assume Supernatural ability is very confusing. I can't figure out if you choose one ability of one creature when you take the feat, or if you get to choose one ability once per Wild Shape. The wording is pretty ambiguous. I've seen several forums that never really came to a conclusion about this. My first reading made me think that you get one ability per Wild Shape, but that seems pretty imbalanced. What do you think?

6) What happens if you use the Quick trait or the Slow trait in conjunction with Wild Shape? Obviously, you still have the hit point modifiers. But could you turn into a "Quick" version of the chosen creature?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Flickerdart
2012-06-21, 12:08 PM
Frozen Wild Shape (Frostburn) lets you do magical beasts with the [Cold] subtype (usually cryohydras). If your base race is neither Small nor Medium, you can take Proportionate Wild Shape (Masters of the Wild which is 3.0 I believe) to take on animal shapes of your size. Aberration Wild Shape from LoM lets you take on Aberration forms. Tainted Druid (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030428a) does not actually require you to be a druid, and so gives you the ability to turn into fiendish animals and vermin.

Urpriest
2012-06-21, 12:22 PM
For Celestial, Exalted Wild Shape will do it.

VGLordR2
2012-06-21, 12:44 PM
Frozen Wild Shape (Frostburn) lets you do magical beasts with the [Cold] subtype (usually cryohydras). If your base race is neither Small nor Medium, you can take Proportionate Wild Shape (Masters of the Wild which is 3.0 I believe) to take on animal shapes of your size. Aberration Wild Shape from LoM lets you take on Aberration forms. Tainted Druid (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030428a) does not actually require you to be a druid, and so gives you the ability to turn into fiendish animals and vermin.

Could I Wild Shape into a giant to qualify for Proportionate Wild Shape? Also, could I qualify for Tainted Druid with the Racial Emulation feat (since I'm a Changeling)?

EDIT: Proportionate form requires that my natural form be neither small nor medium. Never mind.

Kaje
2012-06-21, 03:36 PM
Bloodlines should allow you to increase your HD cap.

Invader
2012-06-21, 06:56 PM
One of the best ways to get a lot of forms is to go planar shepherd (I know how broke everyone says it is). Honestly its not that bad if you don't pick any of the obviously cheesy tricks. Go with Lamannia and you get a slew of animals, magical animals, elementals, and outsiders (you get the elemental and outsiders Ex, SU, and SLA's.

Really for maximizing wildshape shapes this is probably the best way to go.

For assume supernatural ability - I play it so you get one ability per shape but if you change into something else and back again you can pick a different ability. I think that's really up to your DM though.

There are a few ways to increase level for wild shape
Skin of Kaletor +4 to level -6 to charisma saves and skills (dragon magazine
Trappings of the beast (3 piece set MIC) +1 to lvl
Amulet of wildshape (Magic of Faerun IIRC) +4 to lvl 40,000

For quick/slow trait I'd say it only applies to your base form.

The blighter can wildshape into undead but IIRC you give up other abilities with that class.

There's aberrant, vermin, dragon, exalted, and frozen wildshape for more forms. I believe there are some prestige classes that offer other shapes as well but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Togo
2012-06-21, 07:10 PM
Celestial wild shape has sharply limited usage. However, since it allows you to turn into celestial forms of most animals, this might be of getting animals if you really want them.

It's worth working out with your DM what will and won't be allowed, since so many rules and limits around MoMFs are so fuzzy. I know several DMs who wouldn't allow the early entry trick you're using, and many more who would be happy with the planar shepard class as long as you take some pruning shears to the more obviously broken abilities.

Most DMs I know either take assume supernatural ability to mean one (SU) power per form, while the rest simply ban the feat altogether.

Beyond Frozen wildshape and planar shepard there are no easy ways to overcome the limits you describe.

Invader
2012-06-21, 07:18 PM
Verdant Lord from MotW gives you the treant tree form but it takes 8 levels and really isn't worth it IMO.

VGLordR2
2012-06-21, 07:19 PM
It's worth working out with your DM what will and won't be allowed, since so many rules and limits around MoMFs are so fuzzy. I know several DMs who wouldn't allow the early entry trick you're using, and many more who would be happy with the planar shepard class as long as you take some pruning shears to the more obviously broken abilities.

I've already told him what I'm doing. The campaign is fairly high OP, and we are restricting the forms I can take. I'm only allowed free reign when the party is in mortal danger.

Soulean
2012-06-21, 09:27 PM
magical beast wild shape is an epic feat.

eggs
2012-06-22, 11:00 PM
A 1-level Oriental Adventures Shapeshifter prestige class adds 3 daily Shapeshifting uses, as well as animal shapes. It just takes 10 Concentration ranks for an MoMF to qualify.

EDIT:
Requires a Natural alternate form. That may restrict it to Hengeyokai and maybe Tibbit. But both are +0 LA in 3.5

EDIT EDIT:
The 3.5 conversion bases its HD cap on character level, which gets really cheesy if using RAW to determine a MoMF's Wild Shape HD limit.