PDA

View Full Version : would you allow it?

Augulus
2012-06-21, 12:09 PM
As a level 7 wizard, taking polymorph is oh-so tempting. I've talked with my DM, and he basically said go for it, as long as I don't overshadow other players with it (more than I already am :smallbiggrin:). So basically, I'm asking if anyone knows some resources I could look at that list the available forms of polymorph more along the utility line rather than x-headed hydra line.

Example: rust monsters for eating iron-based things.

Thanks!

BlueEyes
2012-06-21, 12:13 PM
No, I would not allow it.

VGLordR2
2012-06-21, 12:13 PM
Check out The EVEN MORE Complete Polymorph Thread 3.5 (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10479.0).

navar100
2012-06-21, 01:26 PM
Polymorph party members instead of yourself. When you can give the sneak attack rogue three attacks of claw/claw/bite with good natural armor for defense, you've contributed, he has fun rolling lots of d6's, and the DM is not annoyed because it wasn't a hydra instead.

LadyLexi
2012-06-21, 02:50 PM
On a related note, does anyone know a way to extend the duration of polymorph to say... hours?

Augulus
2012-06-21, 06:48 PM
Polymorph party members instead of yourself. When you can give the sneak attack rogue three attacks of claw/claw/bite with good natural armor for defense, you've contributed, he has fun rolling lots of d6's, and the DM is not annoyed because it wasn't a hydra instead.

This is a great idea. My wizard is all about supporting the party, and so this would go along great with what I'm trying to accomplish without having me actually take on the roles of the other party members.

Also, thanks VGLord for the helpful link!

eggs
2012-06-21, 07:19 PM
On a related note, does anyone know a way to extend the duration of polymorph to say... hours?
Ocular Spell + Persist Spell + Metamagic shenanigans?

dextercorvia
2012-06-21, 08:02 PM

Extend Spell helps.

GnomeGninjas
2012-06-21, 08:08 PM

Or you could turn the rogue into a hidra.:smallwink:

ryu
2012-06-21, 08:43 PM
Find a creature with a polymorph sla preferably canine. Turn someone into it, then exclaim to the table at large: ''Yo dawg I heard you like polymorph, so I put polymorph in your polymorph so you could polymorph while you polymorph!''

sreservoir
2012-06-21, 08:47 PM
Find a creature with a polymorph sla preferably canine. Turn someone into it, then exclaim to the table at large: ''Yo dawg I heard you like polymorph, so I put polymorph in your polymorph so you could polymorph while you polymorph!''

nope.

"It also gains all extraordinary special attacks possessed by the form but does not gain the extraordinary special qualities possessed by the new form or any supernatural or spell-like abilities."

ryu
2012-06-21, 08:57 PM
Aw... Well that's a letdown.:smallfrown:

TuggyNE
2012-06-21, 10:30 PM
Aw... Well that's a letdown.:smallfrown:

Sadly, not even shapechange gives you spell-likes by default; you have to really work to get them. (Pretty sure some wild shape enhancement feats would do the job, but that's going pretty far afield.)

Mithril Leaf
2012-06-21, 10:38 PM
Sadly, not even shapechange gives you spell-likes by default; you have to really work to get them. (Pretty sure some wild shape enhancement feats would do the job, but that's going pretty far afield.)

There's only Planar Shepherd as far as I know. Part of what makes it so broken.

Feralventas
2012-06-21, 11:04 PM
Master Transmogripher of Complete Arcane will grant at least some of the abilities of the forms you take, though I don't recall the totality of the abilities gained. It sacrifices 4 levels of spellcasting for a scaling bonus to hit and damage in your chosen forms and the ability to pick and chose and mix and match shape-shifted forms together toward the end, as well as giving you automatic stills, silents, and extends on your shape-shifting spells.

eggs
2012-06-22, 01:43 AM
There's the post-PHB2 Polymorph reading that gives all spells from the assumed form. Pick something with level 8+ Sorcerer casting or level 7+ Wizard spells, and go to town*.

*Where "town" is a euphemism for "the emergency room, with a DMG lodged in your head"

Amidus Drexel
2012-06-22, 09:34 PM
There's the post-PHB2 Polymorph reading that gives all spells from the assumed form. Pick something with level 8+ Sorcerer casting or level 7+ Wizard spells, and go to town*.

*Where "town" is a euphemism for "the emergency room, with a DMG lodged in your head"

ah, yes, the good ol' +10 DM racial bonus to-hit with rulebooks.
--------------------------
Back on topic:

I would allow it, most definitely. It's a way for you to heal yourself a little bit, if you don't have a cleric. A personal favorite of mine is becoming a mind flayer and eating your enemies' brains :smallbiggrin:

Augulus
2012-06-23, 02:00 AM
ah, yes, the good ol' +10 DM racial bonus to-hit with rulebooks.
--------------------------
Back on topic:

I would allow it, most definitely. It's a way for you to heal yourself a little bit, if you don't have a cleric. A personal favorite of mine is becoming a mind flayer and eating your enemies' brains :smallbiggrin:

*Looks at Amidus's avatar... shudders...*

Mithril Leaf
2012-06-23, 02:06 AM
*Looks at Amidus's avatar... shudders...*

Illithid Savants also tend to give the DM bonuses to hit with rulebooks.

Averis Vol
2012-06-23, 02:15 AM
I'de allow polymorph for the simple reason that my PC's know the limits i'm willing to tolerate, I also own an arsenal of weaponry and know where each of them sleep. :smallamused:

that being said, just be chill with the forms you choose, no need to completely overpower yourself when your already a wizard. It's just overkill.

Ketiara
2012-06-23, 04:25 AM
Or you could turn the rogue into a hidra.:smallwink:

I saw what you did there. 😜

Wookie-ranger
2012-06-23, 06:58 AM
You could make a house rule that you can only polymorph into a creature that you are familiar with. so besiacally anything that you killed, disected and studied.
That way the DM basically controls what you can and cannot be.

Azernak0
2012-06-23, 03:07 PM
Polymorph is pretty much regarded as the most overpowered thing since the Death Star covered up that exhaust port (at least until it's big brother Shapechange stops by for a chat.) Most tables flat out ban it. It is not even a "ban it because the Wizard is using it to be even better" but because of the stupid stuff that is possible. Turn the Fighter into a War Troll, turn the Rogue into a Hydra, the list is nearly endless.

If you do take it, just use it to buff someone else. That is what makes the Wizard God. The Wizard doesn't kill anything; he turns his allies into unstoppable killing machines. The Wizard doesn't hurt anyone; he makes them unable to hurt his allies or makes them hurt themselves. Walking into melee with poor BAB and low HP is generally a good way of getting smacked dead. Better to throw out a Haste, a Glitterdust, and maybe a Polymorph and giggle as the Barbarian tears through everything while shouting "By Crom!"