PDA

View Full Version : Naruto D20; how balanced is it?

Togath
2012-06-21, 12:13 PM
I recently started looking through a 3rd party naruto d20 rulebook(not all the way through, only to about page 180 out of 900-something pages if I rmember right), and I was wondering; within itself, how balanced is it?, Some of the clases have the frame of either a fighter, or a d20 modern strong hero, but all of the classes can acess jutsu(which apear to be about the same power as spells), meaning that the plainest pc classes still have at least a few spells in addidtion to their base abilities, which made me wonder if--within itself, and without adding things such as standard 3.5 dnd pc classes-- it was balanced decently, or at least better then core 3.5.
edit; added link to the system (http://www.narutod20.com/)

NichG
2012-06-21, 01:44 PM
The system's power level is a bit more like D&D 3.5 than d20 Modern. That said, the jutsus are really all over the place power-wise. The book has the equivalent of an epic spell that replicates Flaming Sphere, while simultaneously theres a no-save two-round knockout jutsu as something like the equivalent of a 5th level spell. If you supply a list of specific jutsus the players can take that you've all looked at individually its not a problem. If you just let them pick anything they want out of the book, there's going to be a lot of power variance between the guy who picks something because it was good in the anime and the guy who picks something because of its mechanics.

Togath
2012-06-21, 02:40 PM
I'll probably look through the jutsu and make a list of balanced ones/re arrange them if I do sometime use the ruleset, it's good to know that other then the jutsu, I was correct that it being somewhat better balanced then core 3.5.
I also probably dont have to worry about any of the people I game with wanting something from the anime/manga over something mechanically good, as none of the people I game with read manga/watch anime, as far as I know anyway.