PDA

View Full Version : Fighter Fix, cus we dont have enough yet

Dragonus45
2012-06-21, 12:35 PM
So this is going to be the first bit of homebrew i put up, and i decided to start with something that i never see. A fighter fix. I've had it sitting on me heard drive for a while now and after playing with it a little and diving the forums for what people think is wrong with the fighter i came up with this.

http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/images/46950/swordsman.gif

{table=head] Level | Base Attack Bonus | Fort Save | Ref Save |Will Save | Abilities | Strategies

1 | +1 | +2 | +2 | +0 | Bonus Feat Chosen Weapon +1d6 | 1
2 | +2 | +3 | +3 | +0 | Bonus Feat | 1
3 | +3 | +3 | +3 | +1 | Adonis, Armor Training, | 2
4 | +4 | +4 | +4 | +1 | Chosen Weapon +2d6, Expanse | 2
5 | +5 | +4 | +4 | +1 | Bonus Feat, Weapon Training | 2
6 | +6/+1 | +5 | +5 | +2 | Tactical Charge , Expanse | 3
7 | +7/+2 | +5 | +5 | +2 | Chosen Weapon +3d6, Armor Training | 3
8 | +8/+3 | +6 | +6 | +2 | Bonus Feat, Expanse | 3
9 | +9/+4 | +6 | +6 | +3 | Weapon Training, Swift Step | 4
10| +10/+5 | +7 | +7 | +3 | Chosen Weapon +4d6, Full swing, Tactical Charge 2, Expanse 4
11 | +11/+6/+1 |+7 | +7 | +3 | Bonus Feat, Armor Training | 4
12 | +12/+7/+2 | +8 | +8 | +4 | Expanse | 5
13 | +13/+8/+3 | +8 | +8 | +4 | Chosen Weapon +5d6, Weapon Training| 5
14 | +14/+9/+4 | +9 | +9 | +4 | Bonus Feat, Expanse | 5
15 | +15/+10/+5 | +9 | +9 | +5 | Armor Training, The Final Push | 6
16 | +16/+11/+6/+1 | +10 | +10 | +5 | Chosen Weapon +6d6, Expanse | 6
17 | +17/+12/+7/+2 | +10 | +10 | +5 | Bonus Feat, Weapon Training | 6
18 | +18/+13/+8/+3 | +11 | +11 | +6 | Expanse The Best Equipment | 7
19 | +19/+14/+9/+4 | +11 | +11 | +6 | Chosen Weapon +7d6, Armor Training | 7
20 | +20/+15/+10/+5 | +12 | +12 | +6 | Bonus Feat, Master of Battle, Expanse | 7
[/table]

HD d10
Skills will be handled later, I'm wanting input for that as well.

Bonus Feat: Everyone knows what this does.

Chosen Weapon: At first level a Fighter selects a kind of weapon. Once per turn a fighter may declare an attack with the chosen weapon. If the attack hits he deals the listed damage as extra. This damage does not multiply on a critical hit. Every 3rd level thereafter (4th 7th 10th 13th 16th 19th) the number increases as shown on the table.

Strategy: At the beginning of the day a fighter may prepare for his day, he may select a number of feats equal the number shown on the table that he meets the prerequisites for and for the rest of the day gain all the abilities of said feat. He may not use this ability to qualify for a feat. A fighter may reselect one tactic by spending half an hour practicing, meditating, or performing some other flavorful description to represent the act. He may only do this a number of times equal to his Con Modifier.

Adonis: As an immediate action a fighter may expend one strategy to gain his con bonus to all of his saves for a number of rounds equal to the modifier.

Armor Training: Starting at 3rd level, a fighter learns to be comfortable in a suit of armor, He selects one piece of armor. Whenever he is wearing that armor, he reduces the armor check penalty by 1 (to a minimum of 0) and increases the maximum Dexterity bonus allowed by his armor by 1. He also increases the base ac by +1 and suffers no penalty for sleeping in the armor. Every four levels thereafter (7th, 11th, and 15th), these bonuses increase by +1 each time, to a maximum –4 reduction of the armor check penalty and a +4 increase of the maximum Dexterity bonus allowed. A fighter may select a new piece of armor by wearing it for one combat and then sleeping in for one night. These may be done in either order.

Weapon Training: At 5th level and four levels thereafter the fighter may select another kind of weapon to use his strike ability with.

Tactical Charge: a fighter does not require a straight line to charge. He may move up to the full movement in any way he wants as long as he makes a DC 20 athletics check. At 10th level he may expend a strategy double his charge movement.

Swift Step: A fighter may as an immediate action spend a strategy to move half his speed.

Full Swing: Once per round a fighter may make his full attack as a standard action.

The final push: By expending three Strategies as an immediate action the fighter may take his turn no matter his initiative. If he uses this ability to gain a second turn in a round he becomes exhausted.

Expanse: As a fighter gains experience he learns the value advantage. Starting at 2nd level, a fighter gains one advantage. She gains an additional advantage for every 2 levels of fighter attained after 2nd level. A fighter cannot select an individual advantage more than once.

Ziegander
2012-06-21, 12:47 PM
The Best Equipment is an interesting feature, if not exactly a unique one. As long as you're just talking about weapons and armor, then classes like OA Samurai and CPsi Soulknife have been doing similar things for a long time now.

It might work if you gave the Fighter free masterwork weapon + armor at 1st level and, some levels later (maybe at 4th or 5th level), a discount when buying weapons and armor (and possibly, if you were so inclined, extend the discount to things like belts, boots, bracers, gauntlets/gloves, helms, etc).

Alternatively, you could give them an allotment of "free gold" per level, similar to the Artificer's Craft Reserve, that may only be spent on such purchases and that is lost if not used before their next level.

Dragonus45
2012-06-21, 08:06 PM
My idea was that the after leveling into a level where they gain it they automatically get a set amount of gold to spend too either buy an item, or improve an existing one. I'm just now sure how much cash is appropriate. My idea for the levels is 5th level and every 5 thereafter. Any thoughts on the other abilities, I'm really wanting feedback on ideas for expending Strategies.

Barstro
2012-09-19, 07:50 AM
I am intrigued by the extra 15 feats. Having seven daily feats seems a bit silly, but anything that makes more sense to me (why would a fighter forget how to use one that he had been using for the past month), would wind up simply adding more regular bonus feats.

Sadly, I think this still leads to the fighter still losing out to the cleric who has the ability to pray to a god for the power to destroy that same god.

My suggestion for a fix of melee classes is to spend more time nerfing the top tiers (using a scalpel, not a sword). But, we all know that will never happen.

My thought to get around that is to give non-magical-melee some sort of Arcane Will. This would give the fighter the inner strength to negate or halve the duration/damage of harmful magic and hold onto beneficial magic for extra rounds.

Seerow
2012-09-19, 08:39 AM
My suggestion for a fix of melee classes is to spend more time nerfing the top tiers (using a scalpel, not a sword). But, we all know that will never happen.

The top tiers need a couple of flaming chain saws worth of nerfs, not a scalpel or a sword. Especially if you want the normal 3.5 fighter as the baseline power level. The end result of nerfing that much is people complaining magic doesn't feel magical enough because they can't do anything special.

Barstro
2012-09-19, 01:17 PM
Trying to not hijack thread and will not comment on anything non-fighter after this.

The top tiers need a couple of flaming chain saws worth of nerfs, not a scalpel or a sword. Especially if you want the normal 3.5 fighter as the baseline power level. The end result of nerfing that much is people complaining magic doesn't feel magical enough because they can't do anything special.

I'm not suggesting that only a little be removed. A whole lot needs to be removed; but it needs to be done carefully to minimize the feelings you mentioned.

But I'm also not suggesting that 3.5 fighter be the baseline. I like the adaptability of the proposed temporary feats. Turns a fighter into more of a Pathfinder Eidolon, and I was drawn to that class because of the adaptability.