PDA

View Full Version : Lawful Good, Lawful Evil, True Neutral Polymorph

AWiz_Abroad
2012-06-21, 12:51 PM
So,

My DM's ruled to polymorphing only into creatures within 1 alignment step of my lawful neutral wizard(Lvl 7). It was either that or a ban, so I'm pretty happy with his solution. :smallsmile:

I'm trying to locate good non-SRD forms that have hands and voice for spellcasting, or are immensely powerful.

I recognize Medusa (LE) from SRD has the requisites, but is there anything else? Meudusa's petrify schtick would not transfer over, but the snake hair thing is kinda unnerving.

As far as straight combat goes, is a Hydra the best option? Wyrven is a no-go from RP perspective (Dragon heavy campaign)

Mari01
2012-06-21, 02:46 PM
So,

My DM's ruled to polymorphing only into creatures within 1 alignment step of my lawful neutral wizard(Lvl 7). It was either that or a ban, so I'm pretty happy with his solution. :smallsmile:

I'm trying to locate good non-SRD forms that have hands and voice for spellcasting, or are immensely powerful.

I recognize Medusa (LE) from SRD has the requisites, but is there anything else? Meudusa's petrify schtick would not transfer over, but the snake hair thing is kinda unnerving.

As far as straight combat goes, is a Hydra the best option? Wyrven is a no-go from RP perspective (Dragon heavy campaign)

Chaotic Neutral isn't one step away from Lawful Neutral.

AWiz_Abroad
2012-06-21, 03:12 PM
Chaotic Neutral isn't one step away from Lawful Neutral.

Good point. My bad (and will edit). Neutral Neutral

Venusaur
2012-06-21, 10:43 PM
Girillion can cast, and gets some NA, 4 claw attacks, and rend.

AWiz_Abroad
2012-06-22, 10:14 AM
Girillion?

Um. . . .are you thinking Girallon?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/girallon.htm

If so the entry doesn't have language. If it's been erratta-ed(?) to include language, that does fit the bill nicely.

Amidus Drexel
2012-06-23, 01:16 PM
Hydra's are pretty good, as far as polymorph goes. They get a boatload of attacks every round with decent reach, and you can still move.

Check out The EVEN MORE Complete Polymorph Thread 3.5 (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10479.0).
From a thread I was on a while back. That site has quite a few good things you can use.

If you have access to the 3.5 Monster Manual, you could just flip through it and look for something with (Ex) attacks that you like.

also, a Medusa's snake heads have poison, so they're ever-so-slightly better than freaky :smallwink:

AWiz_Abroad
2012-06-23, 10:40 PM
Hydra's are pretty good, as far as polymorph goes. They get a boatload of attacks every round with decent reach, and you can still move.

From a thread I was on a while back. That site has quite a few good things you can use.

If you have access to the 3.5 Monster Manual, you could just flip through it and look for something with (Ex) attacks that you like.

also, a Medusa's snake heads have poison, so they're ever-so-slightly better than freaky :smallwink:

Hydra is indeed one of the better forms for straight up melee. I was hunting for things not in the SRD that might be able to still sling spells. . . it looks like Medusa's the best.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-06-23, 10:55 PM
Archons, Angels, Devils (particularly Erinyes).

Alienist
2012-06-23, 11:17 PM
Archons, Angels, Devils (particularly Erinyes).

Aren't most of those going to fail the two restrictions, type and max HD?

Hiro Protagonest
2012-06-23, 11:22 PM
Aren't most of those going to fail the two restrictions, type and max HD?

There's a restriction on type?

As for HD... we've got lantern archon, hound archon, bearded devil, imp. If you really want immunity to mind-affecting, there's always Lemure (I believe you retain your intelligence, but gain the benefits of Mindless). And there's always high levels.

AWiz_Abroad
2012-06-23, 11:51 PM
Currently Lvl 7

It's probably a futile request to find a handed creature with language until I get into the upper HD of the spell. I've also realized (from one of the other polymorph threads) the value of morphing party members. I'm thinking a sneak attacking rogue who is suddenly a Medusa, or the tank character who's a hydra (or. . . remorhaz[which has so much potential for our tank who loves grappling:smallbiggrin:]) has potential. I'll leave the druid alone, she can wild shape herself.

The type/HD limit is from the text. . .

"The new form may be of the same type as the subject or any of the following types: aberration, animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, ooze, plant, or vermin. The assumed form can’t have more Hit Dice than your caster level (or the subject’s HD, whichever is lower), to a maximum of 15 HD at 15th level. You can’t cause a subject to assume a form smaller than Fine, nor can you cause a subject to assume an incorporeal or gaseous form. The subject’s creature type and subtype (if any) change to match the new form." From SRD.

So outsiders are no go. I think that requires a higher level spell.